Zero Punctuation: Fez and I Am Alive

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Fez and I Am Alive

This week, Zero Punctuation reveals there are a lot of similarities in indie games.

Watch Video

I want to play both games but my wallet has been recently drained on purchasing Tales of Graces and pre-ordering Darksiders II. I really dislike backtracking in games so I think I'll get I Am Alive first.

Wait, you still have Tonsils Yahtzee? Doesn't everyone get those remove when they're a kid?

Fez is pretty neat, too bad what one of the devs said blew up in the whole companies face.

You should check out Botanicula if you want a neat, "DA FUCK?" game.

Like these double whammy reviews, lets you get more bile out than your normal review.

Qitz:
Wait, you still have Tonsils Yahtzee? Doesn't everyone get those remove when they're a kid?

They don't do that anymore. Nowadays you just take antibiotics for a few days and it clears up.

wow this review is a mess .I dont even know what yahtzee is talking about .

Gawd save Yahtzees tonsils.
OT: I wonder if he'll review The Journey.

Hell of a (non-gaming related) intro (and sprinkled throughout), I had no idea but now I have to rewatch last week's ZP.

8-Bit cum, it cannot be unseen! I much prefer *ZELDA SUCCESS SOUND* because my brain correctly makes that sound as if I told you this was Morgan Freeman writing and you read it in his cadence.

That said I am glad two games were done because I have no interest in FEZ but IAA was interesting in tone and concept and videos of it make my interest wain and now ol' Yahtzee has murdered it like his voice (apparently) in the last ZP.

I have kind of the same thing where I want a super realistic game thing and instead get a extra unrealistic videogame-y thing instead. I kind of enjoyed Disaster Report and this seems not even as cool as that. Nuts.

Funny critique as always though.

Fairly decent review considering the state of your tonsils. Don't want to go and play either, because the PC is where true indie gaming is at.

Yahtzee Croshaw:
Fez and I Am Alive

This week, Zero Punctuation reveals there are a lot of similarities in indie game.

Watch Video

As if we didn't already know that

I'm more of a Ray Mears man myself; Less dick waving and unnecessary pee drinking.

I was surprised you were so nice to Fez. It was an un-clever copy of many other better games and almost every puzzle can be solved by rotating the world. There are many games I would recommend, especially recent 'indie' ones over Fez.

And not a single shill for Jam. You'd think a review about post-apocalytic games would be the perfect place to shill a post- (or mid-) apocalyptic book. I don't know whether I'm proud or disappointed.

Man, all those tonsil analogies were hard to swallow.

And now I know what grandmother's footsteps is!

Balkan:

Seemed pretty straight forward to me. He was sick as hell last week. He hates Tom Cruise. He thought Fez was shit. He thought I Am Alive was shit.

I'm suprised that he didn't critize I Am Alive for abandoning its orginal story, surviving an earthquake in Chicago for six days for almost generic post-apocalyse world with dust clouds everywhere.

I was expecting him to do Alan wakes american nightmare and i am alive.

Eh

It's "Fez and I ARE alive". God, Yahtzee.

I was hoping that Fez would be put together with Super Meat Boy. I'm starting to doubt that Yatzee will ever get around to reviewing SMB after this chance was lost and he paid tribute in an Extra Punctuation.

lol
the QR code at 2:26 says "Stop pausing the video you tech-savvy bellend"
...so what if i did XP

Well, that tonsil business sounded terrible. Hope you feel better soon Yahtzee.

Good reviews. Shame you didn't enjoy them too much. Oh well. There's always next time.

I did enjoy "I Am Alive" more than I thought I would after the will-sappingly long wait for the bloody thing to actually come out, and in contrast to the resiliance of the "I'll die after one last smoke" character, I found a woman trapped in a sewer tunnel who needed 2 helpings of tinned food to keep going (which I didn't have, and my other stocks of fruit cocktail and rat meat were apparently not to her palette), and when I returned later I found she'd hanged herself, which I paradoxically found a nice little touch.

I do also like that you actually have to be very, VERY careful with your ammo, as you rarely rack up more than half a magazine worth. And I'd like to see some more, episodes I suppose. I think there's a lot of of potential for development around the story, such as the beginning of The Event, Harry and Lindas' story, and **SPOILER ALERT**SPOILER ALERT** how his camcorder was found at the end of the game. Couple of other mechanisms, like greater use of the grapple, greater use of the environment (like smacking an enemy over the head with a rock, defending yourself with a concrete rebar), and enemies thast can be lured into traps and dissuaded from attacking, and I think it'd be a much better game.

I'm surprised there wasn't more venom for "I Am Alive," that game was just dreadful.

I lost it at Pain Killers

holy crap yahtzee knows what Yume Nikki is.

I have no reason to think this is awesome, and yet, I do.

Y'know the old trope about waiting ages for a bus and then having two come along at once?

I can't remember the last time there was a ZP review for a game I own, and now here's one that simultaneously covers the last two games I bought. That's pretty good work right there.

Sneftel:
It's "Fez and I ARE alive". God, Yahtzee.

Cute. ;)

Also: "The ruined civilization remains intact." That's really funny and good writing too. :)

So... I'm not quite sure I understood quite what your tonsils looked like whilst you were sick. The least you could do is elaborate on the subject.

I....I'm guessing Yahtz had some trouble with his tonsils last week then? Not that I actually noticed

I went back and listened to last week's video, and didn't notice any difference. Maybe that's because I associate 'Yahtzee is sick' with whenever he sounds like he's back to using the voice from his earliest reviews. And then it turns out he was just replacing his mic or something.

Also, prepare for Yahtzee to be sued for making fun of Tom Cruise.

porpoise hork:

Balkan:

Seemed pretty straight forward to me. He was sick as hell last week. He hates Tom Cruise. He thought Fez was shit. He thought I Am Alive was shit.

...No he didn't think either of them was shit, he pointed out some flaws but he pretty clearly liked both of them

Loved the tonsil and Tom Cruise analogies, brilliant episode. Still hoping for that PC release of Fez

I really hope he touches on Lone Survivor though. That game is practically an indie Silent Hill, right up his alley.

His tonsils were like a pair of testicles getting wrapped in duct tape, squeezed 'til they literally turn blue and then stepped on with Lady Venom's stiletto heels?

I feel for you, Yahtzee. Tonsillitis is not fun at all, with exception to Vicodin and popsicles.

Time to take a worthwhile go at those two games. I somehow never heard of them before. I wonder what variety of rock I've been sleeping under recently was.

No excuse for anyone liking I Am Alive. I'm actually disappointed that Yahtzee went so easy on it.

porpoise hork:

Balkan:

I thought that people who were unable to comprehend whether Yahtzee liked a game or not had stopped posting in the comment threads long ago.

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here