Zero Punctuation: Fez and I Am Alive

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Yahtzee, you are truly a paradox.

You bash on "entitled and lazy people" and make jokes about union pensioners, quite conservative standpoints, and yet you support Occupy Wall Street, a movement that demands shit be given to them and that said shit should be taken from those who have more shit than they.

I was a bit confused by this video while I was watching it.It seemed to me that he enjoyed Fez more than I am Alive,maybe that's just me.

Looking forward to see which title you will do next.

Fronzel:

porpoise hork:

Balkan:
wow this review is a mess .I dont even know what yahtzee is talking about .

Seemed pretty straight forward to me. He was sick as hell last week. He hates Tom Cruise. He thought Fez was shit. He thought I Am Alive was shit.

I thought that people who were unable to comprehend whether Yahtzee liked a game or not had stopped posting in the comment threads long ago.

Ah alas, people with the inability to pick up on sarcasm and don't have any skill in reading people do still exist. Not complaining though, couldn't be any easier playing them in poker if they just gave me the money. You ever feel like they just don't even try to do it because everything else hands them a cheat sheet?

coppah20HE:
the QR code at 2:26 says "Stop pausing the video you tech-savvy bellend"

The Morse code at the same place, sadly, makes less sense (to me, anyway): "ETI BM R"

You were sick, Yahtzee? Your voice sounded fine to me in last week's video. Unless you mean something else like your podcast.

Glad you're feeling better. I had the same level of infection you described once, it was no fun. I almost died! :/

Fronzel:

porpoise hork:

Balkan:
wow this review is a mess .I dont even know what yahtzee is talking about .

Seemed pretty straight forward to me. He was sick as hell last week. He hates Tom Cruise. He thought Fez was shit. He thought I Am Alive was shit.

I thought that people who were unable to comprehend whether Yahtzee liked a game or not had stopped posting in the comment threads long ago.

I think he didnt hated i am alive . He was just dissapointed and this is why the review wasnt so possitive .I mean when I played mw3 i thought it will be better than black ops but it turned out quite shit .The game wasnt as bad as the dissapointment .

Hooray for quantum suicide theory!

I'd really like to see a survival game that doesn't concern itself with story. I want a game that just dumps me in some sort of randomly generated hellscape and says "Now survive, you prick." Just make it about finding resources and not getting killed by bandits/mutants/zombies/reallypissedoffplants. Maybe the end goal could be to build some kind of self contained settlement or something. And once you do that, you just make a new game in a new randomly generated environment and start over.

necromanzer52:

Qitz:
Wait, you still have Tonsils Yahtzee? Doesn't everyone get those remove when they're a kid?

They don't do that anymore. Nowadays you just take antibiotics for a few days and it clears up.

I never got my tonsils removed and I had no problems, except for missing out on free buckets of ice cream. Got my wisdom teeth pulled, tho. they gave me the good stuff to knock me out. But back on topic... INCOMING PREDICTABLE JOKE!

If yahtzee was a Doctor Who fan, he'd have said "I play FEZ now. FEZ is cool." I'm surprised no one else here made that joke.

No Easter eggs are NOT cheaper this time of year, because the day after Easter TESCO's took them all away! >.<

I'm still waiting for Yahtzee to review Xenoblade Chronicles or Radiant Historia. Maybe if he does it'll help alleviate his bias against JRPGs.

. - .. -... -- .-. / -- . .- -. ... / ..-. ..- -.-. -.- / .- .-.. .-.. / -.-- .- .... --.. --.. .

Now that I've got that off my chest get well soon yahtzee.

Even though Fez is described as basically samey I still wanna play it even after this review if only of the QR code puzzle.

I don't think I get how delicious your tonsils looked. Could you elaborate?

subtlefuge:
No excuse for anyone liking I Am Alive. I'm actually disappointed that Yahtzee went so easy on it.

I dislike it purely because Ubisoft won't let me play and were absolutely douchecanoetastic about it and then had the balls to claim that it was because the representative doesn't speak perfect English.

Are there other reasons I should dislike it?

lacktheknack:
I don't think I get how delicious your tonsils looked. Could you elaborate?

subtlefuge:
No excuse for anyone liking I Am Alive. I'm actually disappointed that Yahtzee went so easy on it.

I dislike it purely because Ubisoft won't let me play and were absolutely douchecanoetastic about it and then had the balls to claim that it was because the representative doesn't speak perfect English.

Are there other reasons I should dislike it?

The game looks bad, not just old. It suffers from its long delays and development cycle like Duke Nukem Forever. The AI is either homicidal or suicidal. The game is a bit fond of its nudging people towards cliffs and kicking them in mechanic (as in you'll do it hundreds of times). The climbing is tedious and often counter-intuitive. The fighting is entirely difficult and repetitive quick time events. The main story is practically non-existent, and it resolves itself in a matter of minutes. 80% of the game is based around various fetch quests that lend nothing in sense of reward or accomplishment.

The game has excellent ideas, but it sucks. It's like Deadly Premonition minus the story and charm.

Yahtzee mentioned Yume Nikki, my indie cred has been validated.

As a PS3 owner, I'm just glad to hear someone say something negative (or a bit less than gushing, at least) about Fez. It's enough to make me think it's one of those really highly rated games that I might not enjoy as much as I'm told I should. Flower was boring and I could never get into Braid. This may well reflect the fact that I am a bad person. I don't care. I still hold out hope for Papa and Yo, though.

Best part of the review? The tonsil similes. And then the return of the tonsil similes.

Aw, I was hoping he'd review Journey next to I Am Alive.

Blimey there are a lot of indie games involving exploration this year.

I love these XBLA reviews, but I'm wondering why he never reviews anything PSN. While I'm sure XBLA has a whole host of awesome games, PSN has some awesome exclusives too; Flower, Rochard, Malcious, and of course Journey all spring to mind. Journey even has you travel through the ruins of a once great civilization!

Avarice of Man:
Ah alas, people with the inability to pick up on sarcasm and don't have any skill in reading people do still exist. Not complaining though, couldn't be any easier playing them in poker if they just gave me the money. You ever feel like they just don't even try to do it because everything else hands them a cheat sheet?

While not everyone is such, there is a condition called Asperger's Syndrome, essentially mild autism, that does prevent these things. It's hell to live with because people don't understand that you don't understand them and seem to get quite aggressive when you fail to cry at a funeral or when you fail to pick up on irony in someone's speech. Just saying.

"spurt spurt"

Why did I laugh at that?

Qitz:
Wait, you still have Tonsils Yahtzee? Doesn't everyone get those remove when they're a kid?

Still got mine.

Interested in Fez, but I've not tried the demo yet.

Seriously, is scanning a fucking bar code required to make progress in FEZ? Is the iPhone considered to be something EVERYONE owns in this day and age, like a TV?

This might just be the dumbest and most ridiculous game design choice I've ever heard of, sincerely hope it's just a joke on Yahtzee's part.

Huh, Yahtzee was sick last week? I didn't notice.

Anyway, both these games look pretty awesome. I'll be sure to add them both to my long list of downloade games I need to try.

Through the comments I was able to find out about Yume Nikki, but does anyone know the first game he mentions?

Also, hope Yahtzee gets better soon. Enjoyed the review. If Fez actually has a QR code in-game that needs to be scanned to solve a puzzle (whether required or optional), I'm going like having that game in my game library a little less.

I had just watched Attack of the Show do a little bit on Fez as I found this weeks video.

Shame to hear about the survival game being shit. That looked pretty interesting when I first saw the trailers. Then it sort of dropped off the radar for ages, and now I discover it has been out for ages. What's with marketing? I've seen about 400 Max Payne 3 trailers before the game comes out, and hear absolutely nothing of this other one.

Still, there is hope yet. Sir, You Are Being Hunted is in development, and that looks like its going to provide the survival fix I need. To those not in the know, its an indie game in the vein of STALKER, but set in the British countryside. The objective is to flee from tea-slurping, aristocratic androids with shotguns. Check that shit!

Interesting stuff, basically a mild reccomendation for both Fez and I am alive

Frictionmakesfire:
I'd really like to see a survival game that doesn't concern itself with story. I want a game that just dumps me in some sort of randomly generated hellscape and says "Now survive, you prick." Just make it about finding resources and not getting killed by bandits/mutants/zombies/reallypissedoffplants. Maybe the end goal could be to build some kind of self contained settlement or something. And once you do that, you just make a new game in a new randomly generated environment and start over.

That sounds like a niche Fallout 3 almost fills. I don't think you get to make a settlement or anything (which understanding from people who have played the game would have made use of all that excess stuff you get from stealing).

I didn't get Fez. It was just so esoteric...

tbh, didn't notice Yahtzee was sick. Hope he gets better soon~.

Fez seems like a really fun game, and from what Yahtzee said about it it doesn't sound like all of its praise is entirely unwarranted. When I get around to it, I might pick it up seeing as how I could use a little break from being shot at.

As for I Am Alive, the sound of it just makes me think of Assassin's Creed's climbing system with New Vegas's Hardcore survival mechanic, which is kinda disappointing.

I actually was pretty impressed with Yahtzee's indie cred when Knytt came up; especially if we assume Knytt Stories is included. That being said, I'd rather call Iji the king of indie games over Cave Story. Well, maybe Cave Story's the king and Iji's the queen, which technically makes more sense.

Thing about Fez is that it seems to take a whole lot of cues from a certain game that its lead designer thinks is crap. And I already own that game and don't particularly need to buy the puzzle-y version. That, and I'm not actually allowed to buy it - seriously people, why restrict your market to one DD service that only a fraction of people use?

LordVyreth:
I actually was pretty impressed with Yahtzee's indie cred when Knytt came up; especially if we assume Knytt Stories is included. That being said, I'd rather call Iji the king of indie games over Cave Story. Well, maybe Cave Story's the king and Iji's the queen, which technically makes more sense.

Dude i was thinking the same thing.

I would just like to quickly commend Benjamin "Yahtzee" Croshaw for managing to throw in a Tennis For Two reference. Great stuff.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here