Zero Punctuation: Fez and I Am Alive

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Swifteye:

Frictionmakesfire:
I'd really like to see a survival game that doesn't concern itself with story. I want a game that just dumps me in some sort of randomly generated hellscape and says "Now survive, you prick." Just make it about finding resources and not getting killed by bandits/mutants/zombies/reallypissedoffplants. Maybe the end goal could be to build some kind of self contained settlement or something. And once you do that, you just make a new game in a new randomly generated environment and start over.

That sounds like a niche Fallout 3 almost fills. I don't think you get to make a settlement or anything (which understanding from people who have played the game would have made use of all that excess stuff you get from stealing).

Yea, sheer excess amount of stuff you get in Fallout 3 kind of takes the feeling out of the survival for me. And the fact that there's already an established world with vendors willing to sell you food and water and whatnot sort of kills it for me too.

I am fairly impressed with Yahtzee's indie penis. Although I think he has all the cred he needs from being an indie developer himself.

I expected that if he ever did an I Am Alive review he would mention the fact that every fight was basically you scaring people until you could push them off a roof. Also, the fact that the same button is used to push people back, push them off the roof at some magical point and start an ineffective stabbing contest that would get their buddies to gang-murder you.

Very good points on the Fez review, that backtracking got to be too much and the warp gates hardly helped it. It would have been much easier if you could move between nodes automatically at some stage. As for the Echochrome similarity (the only game I acknowledge Fez actually being similar to) I can live with that considering I adored Echochrome and there's only one of it.

So basically, Fez is a great game despite Phil Fish being quite foolish and saying stupid, jerkish and ignorant things. Not to mention rude and socially shameful.

If it is anywhere near as good as Cave Story, it's an amazing game. I've been looking into it. Unfortunately, it's only for the XBOX so far. I've tended to ignore XBOX Live, except for buying shoot em' ups. I haven't used XBLA in a long, long time. Because I mostly just use my XBOX to play bullet hell shooters.

If it comes out for another platform, I'll probably get it.

Frictionmakesfire:
I'd really like to see a survival game that doesn't concern itself with story. I want a game that just dumps me in some sort of randomly generated hellscape and says "Now survive, you prick." Just make it about finding resources and not getting killed by bandits/mutants/zombies/reallypissedoffplants. Maybe the end goal could be to build some kind of self contained settlement or something. And once you do that, you just make a new game in a new randomly generated environment and start over.

Minecraft's hardcore mode seems kinda close to what you're describing. Maybe? I dunno if it qualifies as a survival game, but I'm bad enough at it that I get seriously paranoid on hardcore difficulty (you only get one life).

Wow, a Garfield-Comic reference in the end-titles ...

And I thought I was getting old alone.

Entertaining as always. Whether I agree or not with anything he said about those games, I don't know since I haven't played either one. It also doesn't matter because he's just so damned funny. I do fervently disagree about one thing however. Oscilloscopes are too still relevant!

Frictionmakesfire:

I saw a video about an ARMA 2 mod called Day Z yesterday which seems to be pretty much this. You are dumped on an island in a Zombie-apocalypse, you have to find food and water to stay alive, if you die it's permadeath and you can be killed by the other players at all times too if they feel like robbing or just murdering you.

Ahhh damn, Yahtzee... I was eating when I watched this. :/ Put me off my food.

*om nom nom*

Quaidis:
I feel for you, Yahtzee. Tonsillitis is not fun at all, with exception to Vicodin and popcycles.

Time to take a worthwhile go at those two games. I somehow never heard of them before. I wonder what variety of rock I've been sleeping under recently was.

POPCYCLES!??!! WOOT!

no release for dates for PC yet, but patience or a second hand console some years from now will do just as well. If only either of these would be worth the wait. That's if second hand games aren't banned or voided by then...

Also, if it's not [spam removed] I'm not interested.

So there.

Nothing to cause any grief with ya post. Hadta cite ya for popcycles though. Respect. I can only even imagine
They probably does so worth a look an all like, I'll bet, but I'll be really way far too busy playing [STOP SPAMMING] to even.

*hurriedly tabs back into [WITH THE SPAMMING ALREADY?]

sky14kemea:
Ahhh damn, Yahtzee... I was eating when I watched this. :/ Put me off my food.

*om nom nom*

A nice selection of fine cheeses and human tonsils perhaps. I'm assured the cheeses are quite ripe and the tonsils are veritably festering with disease.
And perhaps a nice port?

The title should be Fez and I ARE Alive.
I like That 70s Show.

CaptDom:

Quaidis:
I feel for you, Yahtzee. Tonsillitis is not fun at all, with exception to Vicodin and popcycles.

Time to take a worthwhile go at those two games. I somehow never heard of them before. I wonder what variety of rock I've been sleeping under recently was.

POPCYCLES!??!! WOOT!

no release for dates for PC yet, but patience or a second hand console some years from now will do just as well. If only either of these would be worth the wait. That's if second hand games aren't banned or voided by then...

Also, if it's not [spam removed] I'm not interested.

So there.

Nothing to cause any grief with ya post. Hadta cite ya for popcycles though. Respect. I can only even imagine
They probably does so worth a look an all like, I'll bet, but I'll be really way far too busy playing [STOP SPAMMING] to even.

*hurriedly tabs back into [WITH THE SPAMMING ALREADY?]

Sorry, I was too distracted by all of the spam removal from your post to understand what you were trying to get at.

But thanks to you, I noticed that I randomly spelled 'Popsicle' wrong. Unless I'm referring to a 'pop cycle', which is a chopper with a blow-out, or a bike that delivers certain caffeinated beverages in glass bottles. Both of which I doubt will help sooth Yahtzee's ailment. Fixed the original post.

OuendanCyrus:
I want to play both games but my wallet has been recently drained on purchasing Tales of Graces and pre-ordering Darksiders II. I really dislike backtracking in games so I think I'll get I Am Alive first.

Tales of Graces will keep you playing for a while. I hope Yahtzee doesn't review it, due to his hate for JRPGs.

ArchAngelKira:

OuendanCyrus:
I want to play both games but my wallet has been recently drained on purchasing Tales of Graces and pre-ordering Darksiders II. I really dislike backtracking in games so I think I'll get I Am Alive first.

Tales of Graces will keep you playing for a while. I hope Yahtzee doesn't review it, due to his hate for JRPGs.

I actually just beat the future arc, but there's still some side stuff I plan on completing before I do NG+

apperantly Yahtzee hasn't been to an engineering school, cos they forced me to use an ocilloscope

LilithSlave:
So basically, Fez is a great game despite Phil Fish being quite foolish and saying stupid, jerkish and ignorant things. Not to mention rude and socially shameful.

If it is anywhere near as good as Cave Story, it's an amazing game. I've been looking into it. Unfortunately, it's only for the XBOX so far. I've tended to ignore XBOX Live, except for buying shoot em' ups. I haven't used XBLA in a long, long time. Because I mostly just use my XBOX to play bullet hell shooters.

If it comes out for another platform, I'll probably get it.

meh Fez is a bland game, It's just so unimpressive and i couldn't put my finger on why it was so bland until this: www.youtube.com/watch?v=K8Ifue2xGFY

I regret ever supporting the damn game...

:P

Yes, we got it. You had your tonsils removed. Fucking Yahtzee. You stoppped being funny after your Orange Box review.

Quaidis:

CaptDom:

Quaidis:

POPCYCLES!??!! WOOT!

[spam removed]

Sorry, I was too distracted by all of the spam removal from your post to understand what you were trying to get at.

But thanks to you, I noticed that I randomly spelled 'Popsicle' wrong. Unless I'm referring to a 'pop cycle', which is a chopper with a blow-out, or a bike that delivers certain caffeinated beverages in glass bottles. Both of which I doubt will help sooth Yahtzee's ailment. Fixed the original post.

what I meant to do was put this here cos' well
"HHHNNG!!! DEM POPCYCLES!" image

but then I saw another little fella who could use a popcyle, your avatar...
the whole time.
MFW
etc

The rest was just to make the post seem vaguely relevant to the thread. Just fluff really.

also, @RPGxMadness about that other 'reveiw' - thanks, you've saved my wallet and my conscience. Well linked.

gravy and out

Funny how he says that oscilloscopes are obsolete, when digital ones are always used in physics labs.

It's strange that Yatzee mentioned only one of the several types of "puzzles" in Fez that include:
1. classic "Point A to Point B" exploration
2. attempting to solve something in a way that seems to work and it working in a way you couldn't imagine
3. World's Hardest Riddles, featuring Fez's language
4. easy-to-figure-out, yet slow-to-do tasks like bar codes and Morse Code

I've given up on making sense of this game. Most people say, "Solving riddles is the fun of it!" I say, "But I cannot solve these riddles."

Pages PREV 1 2 3

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here