Miracle of Sound: Shadows in the Moonlight (Assassin's Creed)

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Shadows in the Moonlight (Assassin's Creed)

Secret sign, shadows in the moonlight. Clandestine, flashes of a pale white.

Watch Video

The guitar is a bit loud at times gav it drowns out your singing.
But still it's great.

i love it it has a new feeling to it then brothers of the creed it really tell's ezio story it's almost like a protest song but in a good way

Overall, this is a great song; it has an awesome sense of lamentation to it, and a really nice sense of a growing momentum in the volume and rhythm as the song goes on. I will say that the guitar slightly drowns out your voice towards the end, but it still manages to build to a great climax.

Great song although I kind of had the idea it didn't really go anywhere near the end. Maybe some additional lyrics would have helped.

Not as interesting as some of your other works, but promise me you'll keep your own throat safe.

IMHO - not best your work, Gavin. Seems a bit... aimless for me. Expected something more vivid, more action. Just like Assassin's Creed to me - maybe this is the cause. I prefer acrobatics and combat of Prince of Persia Sands of Time trilogy to reduced to one-button actions and faffing around of AC. Same with you songs - "Back in Time" bests "Brothers of the Creed" and "Shadows in the Moonlight". This is a good song, but not best. Again, only IMHO.

P.S. I think I still can see your ME3-ending depression in the song ;)

So much better than brothers of the creed. Well done.

I really enjoyed it. Cool drum beat towards the end there, bit of a slow song apart from that bit but no worse for it. A thought occurred. You should do a Saints Row song. If you like the games, I guess. I have no idea how this would sound, but I'm sure you could come up with something.

I like it, nothing too wild, quite calm. Reminded me of a certain newer nightwish song, tho only a little. Anyways, it was quite enjoyable!
And the video itself reminded me to try more random weapons when i play an Assassins Creed game next time. Some of those finishing moves/combos were just insanely awesome.

Not my favorite of your works. It's good, but not as good, can't really give any constructive criticisms as to why though.

The assassination around 3:40 in was one of the best video clips I've ever seen from Assassin's Creed.
The song was good, but not a stand-out work for me.

I've got quite specific opinions of this one, first it gave me an almost Dead Island/Gears Of War trailer feel where I felt the song represented a game I really longed for. It's what Assassins Creed should have been.

Secondly I loved the start of my most lines but I didn't like the way they ended. For instance 'secret shine shadow in the moonlight' but i didn't like the way you sang 'history' or 'destiny' or the 'ale white' part of 'pale white'

And I thought the climax was good and the way you changed things up was cool, you've definitely shaken off the repetition thing people used to feedback on :D and the instrumental parts were lovely but I don't know if the climax fitted in with everything. It was the right part for the climax and the right type of build up but not quite the sound particular the 'on shores of gold' although they did make the climax feel epic.

I think overall this is going to be one of my favourite songs you've ever done and you've spoiled Assassins Creed for me because it's never going to be quite like this. Sorry for such a weird comment I don't have much musical skill so I can't describe very well what I feel and I guess really it's not even helpful because you understand music so much more but I guess I don't normally have opinions like that so I wanted to share.

Lovely musical interpretation of Ezio and his destiny.

Tip of the hat Mr Dunne, tip of the hat!

Good song but I didn't think it was as epic as it could have been, although saying that everything was alright. 7/10

I think this song will be a grower.

This song was neat, nice in fact. Though, it didn't really fit Assassin's Creed because it was to relaxing. Don't get me wrong, the song alone was great and flowed a rhythm that made me close my eyes enjoying the moment- however it just doesn't seem to click with the game. To me, a song that goes with Assassin's Creed would be more "Hush, hush" but adventurous all the same.

That doesn't mean I didn't enjoy the song. Again, I did like it.. actually I loved it. Just doesn't suit Assassin's Creed for the game is about killing in the ways of an assassin not wanting to be caught, and had to do it in ways without 2000's technology (mainly had to be creative with tools in that modern history). I give this a 7.5/10 stars bro :}

This song is now the ONLY reason I can find to enjoy Assassin's Creed Revelations. God knows that game presents no other redeeming features.

MiracleOfSound:
Secret sign, shadows in the moonlight. Clandestine, flashes of a pale white.

Your most divine lyrics yet, by far!

Brilliant song as ever Gav. It really brought Ezio's story together and certainly reminded me of the journey he took. Something that's easy to forget when Ubisoft stretches his character needlessly over 3 games.

Caramel Frappe:
Just doesn't suit Assassin's Creed for the game is about killing in the ways of an assassin not wanting to be caught.

Good point and certainly a valid one. But I considered the song to be more about Ezio's personal journey than the actual trade of an assassin. He never asked to become what he was and to me the sombre, haunting melody of this song feels like a sort of thoughtful remorse for the events that lead to his actions. But that's just how I saw it, as with all works of art, it's open to interpretation. ^_^

I would have liked if he implemented "Requescat de pace" (sp?) in rhyme somewhere.
Rather than just throwing it in there.

Were you aware I loved your music Gavin? I hope you are now, at least. Congratulations; yet another song to love.

I think this is my favorite of your AssCreed songs.

Nicely done, the lyrics and video in particular worked well.

I love the way characters come first in your songs. You really brought the tragedy that resides under the surface of Ezio's actions to the forefront, when it's so easily lost during the course of the actual games.

Caramel Frappe:
Just doesn't suit Assassin's Creed for the game is about killing in the ways of an assassin not wanting to be caught,

A fair point on one level, but that's only a part of the game; what I enjoyed the most about AC was Ezio's story and the wonderfully relaxing time I spent wandering around Venice/Florence. Hence the song is focused on those aspects :)

Listen to it once: Get the sound and feel of the song
Listen to it once more: While following the lyrics (Which is why i love that they're put up there)

Personally i loved it. On Facebook you said it would tell a character's story so i wouldn't worry about how it doesn't feel like it "fits the series", because even though it might feel like it sometimes, the series isn't centered around Ezio like this song is.

Ah, and i gotta say i loved the chorus. Definitely the sort of thing that's gonna get stuck on repeat in my head in a good way.

What's going on Gav? This doesn't sound anything like Skyrim at all :-)

Great song as usual... wasn't expecting an A/C song.

maximalist566:
P.S. I think I still can see your ME3-ending depression in the song ;)

It's not something one can easily get over...

OT: I'm quite jealous of Miss Dollery's voice. It's wonderful :)

I got the line "Secret sign, shadows in the moonlight. Clandestine, flashes of a pale white" stuck in my head D: it won't get out!

I'm surprised at how many comments are criticizing the slow, contemplative nature of the song, saying it should have been more violent and big... I guess it's a common complaint with your music, people not understanding why your song is like that when all they did in the game was kill people, but I still just wish people didn't regard games with such shallowness as to ignore the thematic elements around which you build your songs.

This is one of my favorites of yours, I think. It's certainly one of your strongest lyrically, and perfectly captures Ezio's story. Brilliant, as always.

AbstractStream:

It's not something one can easily get over...

OT: I can somewhat understand it. But I have never been a fan of ME - in fact played all 3 this month only to see what was all that hype about. The only franchise whose fan I may be is disappointing only in release dates ;)

Proverbial Jon:

Caramel Frappe:
Just doesn't suit Assassin's Creed for the game is about killing in the ways of an assassin not wanting to be caught.

Good point and certainly a valid one. But I considered the song to be more about Ezio's personal journey than the actual trade of an assassin. He never asked to become what he was and to me the sombre, haunting melody of this song feels like a sort of thoughtful remorse for the events that lead to his actions. But that's just how I saw it, as with all works of art, it's open to interpretation. ^_^

Touche'. I see where you're coming from and now that I think about it- the video did show how his life led him to become an assassin so I can't argue with that. Still, when I saw the scenes of him killing people in such unique ways, methods only a pro assassin could pull off.. the song seemed to be to relaxing for me to get into those moments. That's just me however lol.

MiracleOfSound:

Caramel Frappe:
Just doesn't suit Assassin's Creed for the game is about killing in the ways of an assassin not wanting to be caught,

A fair point on one level, but that's only a part of the game; what I enjoyed the most about AC was Ezio's story and the wonderfully relaxing time I spent wandering around Venice/Florence. Hence the song is focused on those aspects :)

Ahh~ that indeed is an undeniable fact about Assassin's Creed. When I was over my friend's house as he played the game, I was mostly into the scenery and how society was played out. Not to mention being able to blend in and roam was a sight for soar eyes. So yeah I see why you went with this style, which the song was good I promise that. Just didn't seem to fit the scenes with his actual assassinations.. but not a major let down at all if you ask me.

Thaius:
I'm surprised at how many comments are criticizing the slow, contemplative nature of the song, saying it should have been more violent and big... I guess it's a common complaint with your music, people not understanding why your song is like that when all they did in the game was kill people, but I still just wish people didn't regard games with such shallowness as to ignore the thematic elements around which you build your songs.

With all due respect, video games do tend to attract people for what they are. Assassin's Creed is a beautiful game and MiracleOfSound did make a fitting craft for the game's side on seeing sights along with the artistic layout the game puts you in (the protagonist that is). Yet, I only wished for the music to fit the action scenes because music for fights alone are quite entertaining to come by. Relaxing and calm music won't settle with such events but I won't get on you about that. So yeah I understand we shouldn't be disappointed (because the song was really good regardless how I feel) but feedback can always improve even if it's not really a big deal for the matter.

A master of wording writes these songs. Always relevant and well worded.

That was awesome, I absolutely love it! Definitely one of my favourites. I just love how it's so calm and sad, and how the lyrics show how tragic everything is and GOD I LOVE THIS SONG!!!!!!

Erhm, got a bit excited there, but what I'm trying to say is I really like this song.

Caramel Frappe:

Thaius:

With all due respect, video games do tend to attract people for what they are. Assassin's Creed is a beautiful game and MiracleOfSound did make a fitting craft for the game's side on seeing sights along with the artistic layout the game puts you in (the protagonist that is). Yet, I only wished for the music to fit the action scenes because music for fights alone are quite entertaining to come by. Relaxing and calm music won't settle with such events but I won't get on you about that. So yeah I understand we shouldn't be disappointed (because the song was really good regardless how I feel) but feedback can always improve even if it's not really a big deal for the matter.

All due respect to you as well, but that's just the thing; he didn't write this about the action scenes. I guess that's a lot of what the video is, but he doesn't make those, and this song is about Ezio confronting his destiny as an assassin, not about him stabbing dudes in the face. And there's nothing wrong with that. You said people tend to be attracted to video games for what they are, and what they are is an art form capable of delivering not only fun combat, but the type of emotion and experience that Gavin writes about in songs like this. I guess I'm just not sure why you wanted the song to better fit the action scenes when it clearly isn't about the action at all, but about Ezio's inward struggle to come to peace with a destiny that's been forced upon him.

EDIT: If it's simply that the song didn't match the video, you should be criticizing the video, not the song. The video is made to go with the song, not vice versa, so it's up to the video to match the song.

Wow... that was brilliant. As a huge AC fan, I can say that this is the MOS-AC song we've been waiting for. Brothers of the Creed was a bit meh, if I'm being honest. This one REALLY felt like Ezio, and I felt it captured the tone anf themes of ACII very well.

I really like this song, and I thought adding 'Requiescat in pace' was a nice touch.

However, to me, the mix was a little off, and I felt that the instruments were drowning out your vocals at times.

Still, I like this one, and it's great to see another AC song.

Loved it : 3

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or