Miracle of Sound: Shadows in the Moonlight (Assassin's Creed)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

I agree that the instruments drowned out the vocals in places, especially with such a calm tone. However, I loved all the little nods to Ezio's story, specifically in the first few verses. I felt that the video wasn't very well synced to the song, with so many fighting scenes when I got more of a "looking back" feeling (which is well placed, seeing as AC III has a new protagonist)that was focused on the story/characters more so than the killing.
Despite my early criticism, I did like the instrumental work and the vocals. Rarely do I listen to a song and immediately have both the vocals and instruments stuck in my head. I really like the relaxing tone, and while it has a bit of a "background sound" air, that seemed fitting.
Out of curiosity, have you seen the AC short Ember that came with the revelations signature edition? After hearing this, I keep thinking about that short.

Pretty awesome, as always. With exams on at the moment, I'm not really in the right frame of mind to appreciate it though.

MiracleOfSound:
Secret sign, shadows in the moonlight. Clandestine, flashes of a pale white.

Also featuring longer, more complicated parts with male voices, courtesy of MoS
Thanx Gavin. :]

The music reminded me a lot of HIM in its theme, take that for what you want. Good song man, also now I know what clandestine means lol :P

Coming home from 4 hours of lifting barbeque's to hear this was awesome. Mashing replay once again Gavin!

another great song <)

it was different then your normal stuff, but i loved how it told ezio's story and it was quite beautiful, well done

it really reminds me of the soundtrack from assasisn creed 2 (you know the one) I think it fits perfectly

MiracleOfSound:

Caramel Frappe:
Just doesn't suit Assassin's Creed for the game is about killing in the ways of an assassin not wanting to be caught,

A fair point on one level, but that's only a part of the game; what I enjoyed the most about AC was Ezio's story and the wonderfully relaxing time I spent wandering around Venice/Florence. Hence the song is focused on those aspects :)

That was exactly how I played the game too, always got annoyed when my climbing got interrupted by those bloody rooftop guards.

I also got the feel that the song's musical progression matched up with Ezio's emotional journey through AC2, first being light and free before all the trouble started, getting a bit heavier but still fairly light as the trauma of losing his family is offset partly by his youthful energy and being able to just lose himself in his desire/passion for revenge, but as the music becomes heavier and a bit closer to "Brothers in the Creed" at around the 2:25 mark, he's becoming older, starting to feel trapped by the revenge, wants all the killing to just end, until finally he gets his release at the end of the game, the music still isn't as light as it was at the beginning, but he's no longer got the burden of avenging his family hanging around his neck.

SirCannonFodder:

I also got the feel that the song's musical progression matched up with Ezio's emotional journey through AC2, first being light and free before all the trouble started, getting a bit heavier but still fairly light as the trauma of losing his family is offset partly by his youthful energy and being able to just lose himself in his desire/passion for revenge, but as the music becomes heavier and a bit closer to "Brothers in the Creed" at around the 2:25 mark, he's becoming older, starting to feel trapped by the revenge, wants all the killing to just end, until finally he gets his release at the end of the game, the music still isn't as light as it was at the beginning, but he's no longer got the burden of avenging his family hanging around his neck.

Yes! Perfectly said, I am glad that you picked up on all of this :)

I should add to this that the final act was meant to be slightly more intense and cluttered, owing to Revelations's over-cluttered nature and feel (bombs? tower defense? snipers? ugh) - and the setting is the reason the music twists into a more eastern scale for that segment also.

MiracleOfSound:

SirCannonFodder:

Yes! Perfectly said, I am glad that you picked up on all of this :)

I should add to this that the final act was meant to be slightly more intense and cluttered, owing to Revelations's over-cluttered nature and feel (bombs? tower defense? snipers? ugh) - and the setting is the reason the music twists into a more eastern scale for that segment also.

Ah that explains it, I felt like my interpretation didn't quite fit 100%. I didn't play Revelations, I kind of got bored about halfway through Brotherhood because it felt like basically the same game, except I didn't like exploring the setting as much and it didn't have a good, driving narrative pushing the story forward like AC2 did.

One other question, who is Lorna Dollery and will we be hearing from her again? Or have we already, even? As for the complaints about instruments drowning out your vocals, I don't get that at all. But maybe I'm just used to Metal, where it's not uncommon for the focus to be on something other than vocals. Once more I'll say I thought this was a beautiful song, that slow build to heavy crescendo, before finally dropping into the contemplative slow bit again is wonderfully crafted.

brunothepig:
Or have we already, even?

Yes, she was in Back in Time (Prince of Persia).

Another good song, not quite my tastes, but a good song nonetheless. Keepin my fingers crossed for a song based off a LotR game.

I think that you are phisically incapable of writing a bad song, Gavin. I'll be buying it tonight. Also, I'm not sure whether you're the right man to ask, but since I won't be attending the Escapist Con this ear (sadly), will there be a live feed of your gig or something?

BTW, your voice sounds different in this one...

Fits the general feel of the AC2 trilogy really well, with its conclusion in mind. The main melody (and the instruments you chose for it) are strongly reminiscent of the games' more memorable soundtrack pieces, and overall it conveys a sense of peace and reflective calm after a long, hard journey.
Nicely done, Gav! Keep it up! ^^

brunothepig:
A thought occurred. You should do a Saints Row song. If you like the games, I guess. I have no idea how this would sound, but I'm sure you could come up with something.

I feel the same. Although as I've said before, my guess is it won't happen, since the attempts of trying to figure out what rhymes with 'dildo bat' will cause Mr. Dunne to descend into alcoholism (which is prone to happen because he's Irish ;P) due to the fact that he's been brought down to trying to figure that out.

Sorry if the above gibberish comes out as... well, gibberish. It's 2 a.m. here, and I've been up since... well I'm not sure. Which is probably why I can't think of any comments to make about the song. (that and the fact I'm waiting for someone to get their big butt home)

Noce litle Prince of persia referencing in the middle there, showing off the PoP DNA in the creed.

Another good one although i think i might have liked it more if the ending verse was slightly slower as Ezio starts to feel the end

Erm. The song is still not on bandcamp =( What's going on?

I love it. Had to grow on me a little, but I think it suits perfectly Ezio's story.
I remember thinking back when Brothers of the Creed came out "Man, if Gavin makes one about Ezio specifically, I hope it is more acoustic and less rock-ish to suit the tale" It does, perfectly. I love the verses after the first appearence of the refrain, it is a very good way to tell about Ezio's war.
I think that this is intentional, but the last part ("On shores of gold, my tale will end tc.) feels very... encumbered, just like revelations itself. And the last part of the refrain after that provides an excelent closure to the piece.
Cheers, Gav, this is one of your bests.

You know, I can't tell whether to love it more that you basically have no genre or hate it.

I love it because it always keeps things fresh and new and I always have a reason to come back.

I hate it because now when I go to Pandora or something for exam study time music (I need something to make studying feel epic), I can't just type your name in and get something...

'sigh' First World Issues....

OT: I like this, not as much as Brothers of the Creed (I'm a complete weirdo, I know) but I like it. It's grown on me after a few listens. The music overpowers the lyrics towards the end, and it bothers me...>.>

TheBestPieEver:

I remember thinking back when Brothers of the Creed came out "Man, if Gavin makes one about Ezio specifically, I hope it is more acoustic and less rock-ish to suit the tale" It does, perfectly. I love the verses after the first appearence of the refrain, it is a very good way to tell about Ezio's war.

Yeah for this one I wanted to be more true to the actual soundtracks/feel of the games - hence the acoustic guitars and female vocal.

TheBestPieEver:

I think that this is intentional, but the last part ("On shores of gold, my tale will end tc.) feels very... encumbered, just like revelations itself. And the last part of the refrain after that provides an excelent closure to the piece.
Cheers, Gav, this is one of your bests.

Right again - the many layers of clutter in the final verse along with the eastern scales are indeed meant to represent the big cluttered mess that was AC;R. People are saying it's hard to hear my voice through it all - indeed it is, as it was hard to hear Ezio's 'voice' (i.e the story) among all the clutter and un-needed extras of the game.

It makes me happy when people pick up on these things :)

CleverCover:
You know, I can't tell whether to love it more that you basically have no genre or hate it.

Me too. It makes it difficult to decide what to classify myself as on Itunes. I end up putting each song under a different genre... lol.

So, Gav what is your favourite Assassin's Creed game?
Personally I think it has to be Revelations for me. I seem to be in the minority but I just loved the gameplay and setting.

Also, if you ever get to making an AC song again maybe you could make it about Desmond. Could be interesting. Just throwing it out there.

Jynthor:
Personally I think it has to be Revelations for me. I seem to be in the minority but I just loved the gameplay and setting.

Also, if you ever get to making an AC song again maybe you could make it about Desmond. Could be interesting. Just throwing it out there.

Mate, Brothers of the Creed WAS about Desmond and his travels through the animus.

TheBestPieEver:

Mate, Brothers of the Creed WAS about Desmond and his travels through the animus.

Had totally forgotten about that song. My bad.

Jynthor:

My favourite is AC2, folowed by Brotherhood. I love the Renaissance setting!

I like the chorus. Rest of the song is a bit meh, but it's still good!

I love this song. It really captures the feel of the two latest games for me. They weren't so much about stabbing bad guys and killing everything. They were more about chilling in the cities and exploring the area at your own pace, as well as learning Ezio's story.

Nicely done, Gav, as per usual. I don't think we can expect anything less than brilliant from you nowadays. A very well sung vocal line from both yourself and the lovely (I'm sure) Ms Dollery.

Now to figure out how to play it on my guitar *grabs guitar* and now, to Bandcamp!

This is amazing. You continue to go from strength to strength Gav. Musically not my favorite one on its own merits but continuing to show amazing tallent for matching the music to the feel of the game. Lyrically possibly your best work yet (although I do still really like The New Black Gold for that too), as well as vocally amazing. The video was also matched very very well to the song in this one, better than I've seen with any of your others.

That... was a hell of a fanboy gush now I read back over it. Guess thats what comes of listening to new music from a good artist when you're stoned. Keep up the good work Gav!

We have another contest for: "You know you'll never top...."

i have never played an assassins creed game but i like the song
the beginning is the best and the is lightly stuck in my head
for some reason i don't like the song as much some where past the 2 minute
but over all much better then your other assassins creed song.
unlike the last sassassins creed song i have the desire to replay this song

edit
i have a bit of hard time understanding you when your saying
"On shores of gold
My tale will end
A love to hold
A life to spend"
that may be the main problem
it has been pointed out already and you said it was on purpose but that does not stop it from being a problem

and starting at 2:22 when the music changes i am not sure if it a good change or bad change

edit 2
thanks to you learned 2 new words
Clandestine
and
pallid

Thaius:
I'm surprised at how many comments are criticizing the slow, contemplative nature of the song, saying it should have been more violent and big... I guess it's a common complaint with your music, people not understanding why your song is like that when all they did in the game was kill people, but I still just wish people didn't regard games with such shallowness as to ignore the thematic elements around which you build your songs.

This is one of my favorites of yours, I think. It's certainly one of your strongest lyrically, and perfectly captures Ezio's story. Brilliant, as always.

Just letting you know I liked this post so much that it's going in this week's Encore ;)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here