Guild Wars 2 Preview

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Skyy High:
@RedFeather: The sigil and rune RNG in GW2 is tiny compared to the RNG we had in GW1. Sigils and runes proc occasional (mostly small) effects, and they're all limited by timers that govern how often, at maximum, they can proc. They're not going to decide if you live or die, at least not terribly often. GW1 RNG, on the other hand, was all over the place: almost every single block skill in the game gave you a % chance to block. Yeah, they still needed to be skillfully used, but with (for example) Guardian up you still had a non-negligible chance of getting hit with a full chain of attacks from a warrior or assassin and dying miserably. Then you had the incredibly important half cast time / half skill recharge weapon sets that were used by every caster in the game, which only proc-ed 40% of the time (roughly). One of those could turn a skill from interrupt-bait to interrupt-proof, randomly. It could also effectively double the number of condition or hex removals on your bar, randomly. I never really minded the RNG, because I thought that it averaged out pretty nicely over the course of a match, but to claim that GW2 has more RNG is just ignoring how many effects triggered randomly in GW1.

Thanks for helping me understand it won't be worse. I honestly wasn't aware there was that much RNG in GW1. I played a mesmer almost exclusively. I barely touched on anything outside of interrupts and e-denial. Stuff that landed 100% if the target simply met the activation condition. The only RNG I could think of when I posted my last post was 'wanding'. lol

Speaking of wanding, I'm so glad GW2 got rid of basic weapon auto-attacks. I like how a mesmer with a scepter has a completely different auto-atack then an elementalist with a scepter.

RedFeather1975:

Skyy High:
@RedFeather: The sigil and rune RNG in GW2 is tiny compared to the RNG we had in GW1. Sigils and runes proc occasional (mostly small) effects, and they're all limited by timers that govern how often, at maximum, they can proc. They're not going to decide if you live or die, at least not terribly often. GW1 RNG, on the other hand, was all over the place: almost every single block skill in the game gave you a % chance to block. Yeah, they still needed to be skillfully used, but with (for example) Guardian up you still had a non-negligible chance of getting hit with a full chain of attacks from a warrior or assassin and dying miserably. Then you had the incredibly important half cast time / half skill recharge weapon sets that were used by every caster in the game, which only proc-ed 40% of the time (roughly). One of those could turn a skill from interrupt-bait to interrupt-proof, randomly. It could also effectively double the number of condition or hex removals on your bar, randomly. I never really minded the RNG, because I thought that it averaged out pretty nicely over the course of a match, but to claim that GW2 has more RNG is just ignoring how many effects triggered randomly in GW1.

Thanks for helping me understand it won't be worse. I honestly wasn't aware there was that much RNG in GW1. I played a mesmer almost exclusively. I barely touched on anything outside of interrupts and e-denial. Stuff that landed 100% if the target simply met the activation condition. The only RNG I could think of when I posted my last post was 'wanding'. lol

Speaking of wanding, I'm so glad GW2 got rid of basic weapon auto-attacks. I like how a mesmer with a scepter has a completely different auto-atack then an elementalist with a scepter.

You're right, skills-wise, you won't see much RNG for most classes. The monk probably has the most, because they have most of the enchantments that make you block. Every blocking stance in the game (like the Mesmer's Distortion) is based on percent chance, though. And "under the hood", so to speak, there's a lot of it going on. Every wand and scepter you ever owned had a % chance modifier on it.

Making the autoattack into a real skill (it's still an autoattack, but it can *do* something) is a little feature I'm happy about as well.

Gardenia:
*snipped to save space*

While true that Guild Wars had and still has a bit more complexity and planning behind skill loadout's, there are meta builds that just make it all moot point really.

TheWay aka The State of the Heroes build by The Blackness pretty much lets you beat whole game with it and you won't be required to swap any skills at all (tho it does help for some specific fights like Great Destroyer for eg.). Sure it took a while to figure those builds out and there is still room for unorthodox play that can be efficient, but in the end, no matter how bloated/complex your system is, there will be meta-build that is just so good it makes other builds obsolete.

In Gw2 most of the building effort goes into Traits however and those, while much more straightforward with their bonuses and effect on character, do offer a degree of variety and change the approach a lot. Even with the limited skill count playing a WellMancer (Focusing on Wells mostly) is different than MM (not as obscenely powerful as GW1s but still can get the job done) and ConditionMancer is completely different animal altogether and that's pretty much just trait/utility builds. Add to that different weapons (Mark focus on staff, life leeching builds based around daggers, more direct damage on axes or condition synergy with scepter) and you are able to come up with quite varied tactics.

Give it some time and I'm sure GW2's meta game will grow. It's just currently people are kind of playing blindly and not really paying attention to the minor details while in GW1 it was much more obvious whenever you went for MM or SS.

Are those guns? Looks pretty sweet, i like the idea of playing a pirate on an adventure, and like the idea of dodgerolls even more.

Which server are Escapists playing on? As Themis has been my MMO community home since the Crossroads of Dereth days, wondering if any of the old schoolers are playing this game and grouping up somewhere...

This looks fantastic. I WANT... NOW!! I can't wait to give it a go. Hopefully, it'll be as good, if not better than the original Guild Wars.

wackyzacky:
This looks fantastic. I WANT... NOW!! I can't wait to give it a go. Hopefully, it'll be as good, if not better than the original Guild Wars.

There was a stress test going on yesterday for everyone who pre-purchased the game. It's over now though. As for it being the same or better than GW1, it really depends on what you liked (or disliked) about the original, and what you expect going into the sequel.

@Xiado: yes, those are guns. They're really on the same power level as bows, however.

Did he just say this game has a Borderlands Fight or Die system for being downed?

Holy

Snap!

Also...no tagging...just a brofist of killing things...

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here