Escape to the Movies: Avengers

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

JaredXE:
Scarlet's ass in 3D

it was a great money shot :P LOL

I'm from México and we have the mid credits scene but not the last scene "stinger" joke Movie Bob wrote about :(

I had half-expected Moviebob to gush about this film, afterall it's stuffed full of stuff just for the fans of the comics. Don't get me wrong, it's a solid 7/10 film with superb moments (favourites involve Phil, Loki, infighting and all Iron man and Thor quips), but it has flaws.

As Moviebob said the story is secondary and slim. The opening leaves you feeling you've missed a film and is taken a little too seriously for all the silliness involves. Loki's CGI army has no backstory, a stupid forgettable name, and just show-up as faceless goons to fight. How they're dealt with is a plot contrivance followed by a magical killswitch that left me with the impression they had forgotten the army weren't robots.

Also, the extended action scenes get a bit physically exhausting after a while, but that may just be watching it in 3D.

The worst scene was Loki making people bow before him (kneel before Zod, etc) and one old man with a stereotypical Jewish accent disobeys him. Captain American then shows up and compares Loki to...well if you can't guess where this is going already, here's a clue: the scene is set in germany. -_-

It's testament to how good the film is that the main storyline could be so bad, but not detract that much...

EDIT: Did anyone ever say 'Hawkeye'. I heard a 'Hawk' and his regular name, but it seemed like it assumed you knew already...

empirialtank:
okay i recognized three of the four hero's bob threw in at the end, doctor strange, black panther, ant man; but who the heck was the fourth one?

I know he's the marvel aqua man rip off, but who is he really? Can we get a big picture episode on this?

Namor the Sub-Mariner first appeared in 1939; Aquaman showed up in 1941.

I'm not saying Aquaman ripped off Namor, but Namor was technically "first."

I just want a good Punisher movie. Too much to ask? OK.

Dastardly:
Relegated to the cut-off-shorts-wearing-dutiful-girlfriend role?

And if it weren't clear enough this is a Joss Whedon production, in two of her three scenes Pepper is barefoot.

God Dammit... I need to see this movie.

Battle Catman:

Dastardly:
Relegated to the cut-off-shorts-wearing-dutiful-girlfriend role?

And if it weren't clear enough this is a Joss Whedon production, in two of her three scenes Pepper is barefoot.

But that's what I mean -- it's out-of-character for Whedon to turn a female character into "the girlfriend."

sad rayen is sad

T_T

gotta wait till sunday.

Really curious about how the characters from Buffy were relatable... Suppose that's subjective and I shouldn't begrudge him for liking Joss Whedon.

Daystar Clarion:
Me and my fiancee are gonna sit down, watch 'em all, then go see The Avengers.

Thoroughly support this. Managed to watch Captain America the day before The Avengers, and it was just so good to be able to have that continuity in my mind as I sat down to watch it.

Absolutely great movie. If not the best, then certainly the most fun superhero film ever. It's great for the entire genre that they got this right (hopefully it might prompt DC to get their shit together and plan for a Justice League Movie in about 2028 ... ).

But a few things that bothered me: what the heck happened to the whole "Loki is going to control The Hulk with his sceptre" thing? Isn't that the entire reason he was aboard the floating carrier? Kind of got swept under the carpet.

Daystar Clarion:
I haven't seen Iron Man 2, Thor or Captain America yet, but I have them all ready on standby.

Me and my fiancee are gonna sit down, watch 'em all, then go see The Avengers.

Isn't it fun to share the experience of Marvel movies with a love one?

I went to see the movie with my fiancee on our engagement anniversary and we loved it. It is our new favourite super hero movie.

The things that I loved most about the movie was that it was a great movie that didn't feel the need to hide its identity as a superhero movie in any way and that it combined drama and comedy so well.

Time to strike a team pose, cause s*** just got real.

Saw it at midnight. This movie really is the biggest miracle since Lord of the Rings. I'm still having trouble believing they pulled it off.

I walked out after the mid credits scene, so I missed the after credits scene. All of my rage. It just gives me another excuse to go see it again. :)

Oh, and I'd pass on the 3D. It doesn't detract from the movie, but it doesn't exactly add anything either. Save your money and get brighter colors.

I'm drawing a blank on what the new dimension of Agent Coulson was that redeems the second act of Iron Man 2. Didn't he only show up for a few seconds to give Tony some of his fathers stuff before going to find Thor's hammer? And what was specifically wrong with the second act?

Really, the best thing I can say about this movie is that it has evoked in me a feeling no movie has given me in a LONG time:
I didn't want it to end.

I'm surprised no one's talking about how they

I don't recall Black Widow, or whatever Johannson's character is called, being anything other than a normal human being, so why does she fight alongside the Avengers? Does she have any superpowers beside boobs? Also is she actually holding a tiny pistol in one of the scenes or is that a cleverly disguised death ray of some sort? I sure hope it's the latter.

Dr Snakeman:

Frostbite3789:
I loved the mid credits scene. Thanks to you I got the double meaning.

Wait, I don't get it. I mean, I get that

Not sure if you've been quoted yet, but..

OT: The Avengers is quite possibly the best film I've seen in years. Not only was it a fantastic action flick, a superhero bananza with tons of fantastic talent all melding well together. But like you said, Whedon actually pulled of a fantastic script, which I really didn't expect. Every other line was either a hint to the larger continuity or just unexpectedly funny.

I'd go as far as to say the film was funnier than most comedies I've seen in the past 5 years. It was just all brilliant.

Glad that is a good movie.

Also, I didn't expect to cry while watching this movie...

Saw it three days ago. I've got the feeling Bob liked it even more than I did. But then I don't read comics.

Great movie, want more. MOAR PLZ.

Smertnik:
I don't recall Black Widow, or whatever Johannson's character is called, being anything other than a normal human being, so why does she fight alongside the Avengers? Does she have any superpowers beside boobs? Also is she actually holding a tiny pistol in one of the scenes or is that a cleverly disguised death ray of some sort? I sure hope it's the latter.

She is quite the talented fighter and super agent. Her talents get shown well in the film. She gets to kick ass like as well as the guys do.

Moviebob:
...so now what?

Oh Well

Guess I'ma hafta go see this now.

So I should probably go see this then. Ok.

Just saw The Avengers-OHMYGODTHISMOVIEISSOFREAKINGINCREDIBLEEVERYTHINGABOUTITBLEWMYFREAKINGMINDYAAAAARGH!!!!!

...Also, I thought Bob's top three superhero movies of all time were Superman, Spider-Man and Watchmen, but now it's The Dark Knight?

I was excited about going to see this, then everybody went to see it while I was at a funeral and didnt tell me about it.

Now I've completely lost interest.

Man all these people saying Whedon shows his TV roots and doesn't know how to frame a shot can suck a dick. There was a BEAUTIFUL fly-through during that big climax where you see Black Widow fly by on a stolen alien motorcycle plane, who passes Ironman engaging in a mid-air duel, who flies past Hawkeye holding his ground on a rooftop, who turns and shoots an arrow past Thor and The Hulk on the back of a giant robot snake, which crashes into the ground near (iirc) where Captain America is tanking it out with some dudes on the ground, all in one straight cut. It's EXACTLY the size and scope I have wanted out of a superhero movie FOREVER.

It's SO DAMN GRATIFYING to finally a superhero movie climax at a huge scale, rather than just dudes punching eachother in an alley. Or dudes punching eachother on a rooftop. Or dudes punching eachother in a falling airplane. Or dudes punching eachother in a collapsing warehouse.

I wont lie, thats a big weight of my shoulders. I really thought it was gunna be subpar. But to hear its living up to its name makes me really happy.

it was good... but not the best. some major things seem to just happen without any real background. like the hulk coming back and actually finding them in time... he really was pissed and had no reason coming back?

I liked it.

Just came back from seeing it for the second time (I'm from the UK) and I loved it every bit as much as the first time round. Pure, unbridled joy, and I cannot wait for Thor 2 next year XD

When I watched it, I thought it was brilliant. Though it did make a few mistakes, but like Bob said, that is nitpicking. But there is one which I think he chose to neglect: there is a Transformer-esque feel to the action, only with actual characters and drama to back it up.

I have to admit that I'm kind of disappointed that this film is turning out to be good, at least according to the concensus. I was hoping for a mediocre, anti-climactic movie, just to see how furious Bob would have gotten. Guess I'll just have to watch a good super hero movie instead. Win win.

That said, I still disagree with Bob about the significance of Avengers. We've seen super hero gangs before. We've seen plenty of X-men movies, and fantastic 4 movies. And the Incredibles. And Watchmen. This is no different. The fact that these characters have each had their own movie is no different either - they were just super hero movies, no more significant than that Wolverine movie was to the X-men franchise. It was this kind of exaggeration that led me to hope it would suck.

maninahat:
I have to admit that I'm kind of disappointed that this film is turning out to be good, at least according to the concensus. I was hoping for a mediocre, anti-climactic movie, just to see how furious Bob would have gotten. Guess I'll just have to watch a good super hero movie instead. Win win.

Wow. How... pointlessly dickish of you.

So, I've been looking forward to this movie for a long time. A long ass time.
But I have a major exam next wednesday, one that I had to spend 1k dollars on (between the exam fee and lost from unpaid time off work).
I know from my past (LOTR) that if I don't see this movie, I'll be anxious about it, but if I do see it, I'll obsess about it for weeks and bomb this exam so damn bad.

But at the same time, I'm anxious for avoiding all spoilers (it'll be difficult >.>), so I'm wondering if anything that would diminish any surprise or event of the movie not in the trailers are in this review that would cause me to declare a blood feud against bob?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here