Trailers: The Elder Scrolls Online - Announcement Trailer

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Hmmmm... well I'm gald more Elderscrolls are being made. But for some reason my hype o meter isn't spiking like it had when I first saw the trailer for Skyrim. For whatever reason this isn't tickling my fancy.

I just hope they don't neglect all the cool DLC they promised for Skyrim in favor of developing this more. Granted I hope this actually might be fun, we'll see what they come up with. It's just hard to imagine getting the full feeling of an Elder Scrolls game to work in an MMO.

dragongit:
I just hope they don't neglect all the cool DLC they promised for Skyrim in favor of developing this more.

Why would they? This isn't developed by Bethesda Game Studios, and they already announced Dawnguard a few days ago.

Sorry, Bethesda. I can't exactly get excited for this game when my computer can't even run Morrowind well, and I'm pretty damn sure that you're not going to be releasing this on consoles. That said, if you were...

Yup... it's a teaser alright. Nothing new to gleam off of this.

There is much about this trailer that is familiar. It's as if I've seen it before somewhere.

Skyrim. I'm talking about Skyrim. This trailer is a slightly altered version of Skyrim's trailer.

I feel like this pretty well describes my feelings on the matter.

I know nothing about this game. But Dumbledore seems to endorse it. He's good at trusting things right?

I might have to break my no MMORPG game rule for this!

Comparing this to the Skyrim trailers makes it seem a little... lackluster?

banthro:
I know nothing about this game. But Dumbledore seems to endorse it. He's good at trusting things right?

Aye, Dumbledore is usually a good source. I'm just not sure how much he knows about games.

He certainly doesn't seem to know much about making exciting trailers.

Great, another awesome single player franchise taken away from us. Gonna have to bury it right next to kotor.

Frostbite3789:
I feel like this pretty well describes my feelings on the matter.

Couldnt have said it better

Because thats just what we needed, another fantasy-based MMO. What is it with the last few years and MMOs becoming the new FPSes? (ie: a new one coming out every other week)

Did anyone else find the audio to be a bit, uh... woofy? Or do I need to replace my headset?

I have not played an MMO since WOW Burning Crusade and just before Wrath of the Lich King was released.

I am having serious thoughts about playing this just based on my Skyrim experience.

The sad part is they will have to settle for a specific looking Dovahkin if he will be a quest handing NPC in this game... unless it's also centuries in the future, like Skyrim was... you know what, never mind.

Can't say that I'm especially impressed or happy at this point. It seems like the death of Elder Scrolls to me.

The point of Elder Scrolls is that they are some of the very few epic-scale single player RPGs out there where you can kick back and play in a huge world that revolves around you as the hero. An alternative to things like MMOS which is what almost all RPGs are turning into.

I think back to say the "Ultima" series which was once arguably THE defining CRPG series and the ultimate example of world building in video game (for the time). When UO came out, the single player series pretty much died despite some aborted attempts to revive it.

This isn't to say I won't try Elder Scrolls online, I might (I seem to wind up trying all MMOs at one point or another, most blow chips), but it certainly doesn't excite me, and leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I'd like to see Bethesda keeping the Elder Scrolls and Fallout titles exclusively focused on single player games and just leave MMOs alone, even with third party liscencing. I do not think it will end well for the properties, and the big losers in the end will be the fans.

What exactly is Zenimax Online Studios gameography? I can't find anything. They aren't that new, Wikipedia says they've been around since 2007 but haven't made anything. Seems odd that a seemingly untried studio is picked to develop a title as big as The Elder Scrolls.

I will watch the development of this in the same way I watched the development of TOR: Skeptical that I'll play, but with interest.

I will continue to play TOR for now. When Bioware and Lucasarts announce the TOR analogy to Mist of Pandaria (it will happen at some point), I will look for a new MMO to play. And depending on how they're developed, it will probably be either Elder Scrolls Online or World of Darkness.

Nimzabaat:
Comparing this to the Skyrim trailers makes it seem a little... lackluster?

That's because this isn't made by Bethesda themselves. Bethesda only had a consulting role on the lore for this game. From the info that I have read it seems to be a WoW copy with Elder Scrolls lore in it.

Now if this game was free-to-play or even freemium I could potentially get into it, but if it's subscription based, well... they know what to put their mouths around.

Codeknight:
What exactly is Zenimax Online Studios gameography? I can't find anything. They aren't that new, Wikipedia says they've been around since 2007 but haven't made anything. Seems odd that a seemingly untried studio is picked to develop a title as big as The Elder Scrolls.

There actually isn't.
Zenimax Online is a branch of Zenimax, the company that owns Bethesda, ID Software and several others.
So Zenimax is actually developing the game in-house, since they own both companies, but they are different subdivisions with possibly hardly any contact between them.

So yeah... this is just a quick money grab to see how many players they can pull away from WoW and trying to ride the wave of success that Skyrim brought.
So don't expect an epic gameworld like in Skyrim, just a WoW clone made to look like Tamriel.

Pretty worthless.

*gravely voice*
IN A WORLD.
WHERE PEOPLE LIVE.
AND DIE.
AND DO STUFF.

I don't usually give a crap about MMOs, but it does occur to me that this might be our chance to see ALL OF TAMRIEL crammed into one game, with current-gen graphics...

...in which case I just might give it a shot.

JenSeven:
So yeah... this is just a quick money grab to see how many players they can pull away from WoW and trying to ride the wave of success that Skyrim brought.
So don't expect an epic gameworld like in Skyrim, just a WoW clone made to look like Tamriel.

Zenimax went after the Elder Scrolls online about the same time they trademarked Skyrim, and considering they formed Zenimax Online back in 2007... I doubt they formed a group to pay people in it to do nothing for 6 years.

Codeknight:

Yup, created in 2007. Now add 5 years of development time, and you have the one game they have been working on: this one. Upside, they hired some of the guys from Dark Ages of Camelot to design, so hopefully the realm-pvp will be great.

Calcium:

JenSeven:

Zenimax went after the Elder Scrolls online about the same time they trademarked Skyrim, and considering they formed Zenimax Online back in 2007... I doubt they formed a group to pay people in it to do nothing for 6 years.

Why not 3D realms has been doing that for longer time. ;p

I don't think I really want to share my Elder Scrolls experience with thousands of people, or more aptly I don't want my experience to be contingent on them.

Given that they are going to scale back elements of the gameplay to get it to run at a decent rate over the internet I have already lost interest.

Me is cautiously interested, but I like my big, sprawling game worlds to be single-player. All I'm hoping is that it'll feel a tad less generic than WoW, that it'll keep the real-time combat aspects and not saddle us with an action bar - and that the whole of it won't feel like a toybox version of your big brother's Elder Scrolls.

Calcium:

JenSeven:

True, however, they just now put up a "trailer" of some sorts, that shows absolutely nothing. That they trademarked and founded something doesn't actually mean anything. Seeing as Zenimax themselves are the parent companies of Bethesda and Zenimax Online, could actually be possible to found a "probable" company without any employees and trademark a name to prevent other people from having a go. Just have that company around in case something major happens. And something major did happen, The Elder Scrolls games became a major hit.
And recently they attracted the guys from Dark Age Of Camelot, so it seems they only recently formed a team to work on it.

They formed the company in 2007. Oblivion was a major success in 2006. They trademarked the name in 2007 and licensed the engine in 2007. It is quite obvious they've been working on it since about then, and probably had a lot of concepts way before that.

JenSeven:

Calcium:

JenSeven:

True, however, they just now put up a "trailer" of some sorts, that shows absolutely nothing. That they trademarked and founded something doesn't actually mean anything. Seeing as Zenimax themselves are the parent companies of Bethesda and Zenimax Online, could actually be possible to found a "probable" company without any employees and trademark a name to prevent other people from having a go. Just have that company around in case something major happens. And something major did happen, The Elder Scrolls games became a major hit.
And recently they attracted the guys from Dark Age Of Camelot, so it seems they only recently formed a team to work on it.

The Skyrim trailer was equally ambiguous, though in no way would I call the game rushed.

Also, I think this says it better than I can.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/79299-ZeniMax-Licenses-HeroEngine-for-Upcoming-MMOG

That's back in 2007. If Zenimax Online was liscening that back then and hasn't produced any games in their current existence, then it's not a bad idea to assume they were working in 2007 on an Elder Scrolls MMO.

Who gets the feeling that there is going to be Altmer Dominion and Imperials factions as the only player factions, with no ability to be freelance. Each province is going to be level appropriate where a wolf in skyrim will be 4 times as strong a wolf in Cyrodiil. Along with being level appropriate there will be what is considered to be safe zones and contested zones where Altmer and Imperial align personal battle among each other despite there being truce in placeI think I may able to predict Zenimax Online Studio design of the game.

There is going to be Altmer Dominion and Imperials factions as the only player factions, with no ability to be freelance. Each province is going to be level appropriate where a wolf in skyrim will be 4 times as strong a wolf in Cyrodiil. Along with being level appropriate there will be what is considered to be safe zones and contested zones where Altmer and Imperial align personal battle among each other despite there being truce (truce can be freely exchanged with armistice, cease fire, peace or even alliance through this prediction) in place. Forget about going on adventurers together to destroy a common enemy, even if it is in the interest of both factions to work together to take down this threat.

Equipment will be color coded for your convenience, and you shouldn't become too attached to your equipment because after a few level your equipment will be garbage. And don't think about selling your outdated equipment because for whatever reason each equipment will somehow latch onto your soul and no other brave hero will be able to use it; but don't fret as those shop keepers will be more than willing to purchase those soul bond items. Speaking of trading, you won't be able to trade or do business despite there being a truce.

Each Hero will start their adventurer career as a magic user, warrior or thief character. Each of these careers will have 3 branching paths or trees that other people in their same career might not learn. Oh don't bother requesting other heroes to teach you some of the skills you learn, there is a strict training guild that holds the exclusive rights to training which everyone follow. So strict is this and powerful is this guild is that you're able to improve upon skill sets you already know. Furthermore you should forget about learning or mimicking styles of your fellow comrade who began their career in a different path. Start out as a thief and wish to learn the ways of the warrior to better defend yourself, or as a warrior wish to learn how to stealthily approach an enemy to attack a vital area, well that is too bad.

*watches trailer*

<_<

>_>

I have learned nothing

That was kind of boring and uninformative for an announcement.

I'm sceptic at the need of this game. If it can work, then I will be excited. I just need more convincing.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here