What Was What in Avengers

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

So the blue gem is the mind gem, right? I don't suppose that would be used for mind control would it? You know like what Loki was doing an awful lot of with that great big blue glowing gem in the middle of his staff.

I don't suppose that's going to be coincidence now is it?

On the subject, who got to keep the staff at the end of the movie? Did Thor take it home with him or does Shield still have it?

While I am a big fan of the Infinity Gauntlet arc, dealing with Adam Warlock is going to completely change it (unless they want to have a whole 'nuther movie dealing with him, the simpliest path will be to get rid of him).

empirialtank:
So the blue gem is the mind gem, right? I don't suppose that would be used for mind control would it? You know like what Loki was doing an awful lot of with that great big blue glowing gem in the middle of his staff.

On the subject, who got to keep the staff at the end of the movie? Did Thor take it home with him or does Shield still have it?

O_O

I...I-I...I love you.

Dudeman325:

Therumancer:
It should also be noted that Death really doesn't seem to be 'into' Thanos the same way he is obsessed with her, though they do work together. Death being kind of a neutral prescence compared to Thanos' malevolence.

Plus, Death totally has the hots for Deadpool (and who can blame her?).

Off topic: I know its a bit late, but what the hell were the writers thinking when they put "Wade" in that X-Men movie? They took away the mouth from the "Merc with a Mouth!"

Yes, I couldn't get that one either. Personally I think the logic was probably just that Deadpool was a popular character loosely connected to Wolverine, so they threw him in expecting people to just go with it, underestimating his fan base, and also totally misunderstanding the character and what makes it tick.

Deadpool is a character that couldn't be done in the movies, since half the point of him is that his "insanity" causes him to break the fourth wall to make observations that happen to be true from the perspective of the RL reader. Even with "The Avengers" there isn't enough continuity to do that.

That said, I'm still waiting for Squirrel Girl to kick Death's butt. :)

empirialtank:

Loki already has telepathy...

And it's not like he did an "awful lot" of it.

therandombear:

CatmanStu:
As soon as Thanos appeared on the screen I turned to the mate I was watching it with and said "They're gonna need more heroes in the next one."
If whoever that makes Avengers 2 (and it BETTER BE JOSS after this one) portrays Thanos true to his co(s)mic power level, he would wipe the floor with the current roster.

They're gonna make a movie for each gem, introducing a new hero in each movie.....it would "add" more heroes to the avengers when the eventual "Last battle" with Thanos is and it wouldn't be 1 clustered movie where they get all gems at once.

Just a thought. :p

OT: I was majorly pissed at my cinema, when the credits started for the avengers the cinema lights up and movie is cut. They didn't show the credits. >:(

Nice theory, except they've already introduced one of the Gems in this movie.

romxxii:

therandombear:

CatmanStu:
As soon as Thanos appeared on the screen I turned to the mate I was watching it with and said "They're gonna need more heroes in the next one."
If whoever that makes Avengers 2 (and it BETTER BE JOSS after this one) portrays Thanos true to his co(s)mic power level, he would wipe the floor with the current roster.

They're gonna make a movie for each gem, introducing a new hero in each movie.....it would "add" more heroes to the avengers when the eventual "Last battle" with Thanos is and it wouldn't be 1 clustered movie where they get all gems at once.

OT: I was majorly pissed at my cinema, when the credits started for the avengers the cinema lights up and movie is cut. They didn't show the credits. >:(

Nice theory, except they've already introduced one of the Gems in this movie.

Sshh, don't ruin it, jk. ;)
Forgot it at the time of posting. xD

A Doctor Strange film would be nice.

edit: double post

It's a shame that it's unlikely for Spiderman to be in The Avengers 2...

ecoho:

artanis_neravar:

MovieBob:
What Was What in Avengers

MovieBob gives you the nitty gritty on the upcoming release The Avengers.

Read Full Article

I really really hope this means I get an Adam Warlock movie

Ant Man, The Vision, Jack of Hearts, Ms. Marvel, and the Wasp movies would be good too

to be fair an Ant Man movie would have wasp in it.

True, and The Vision can't really show up until the Avengers 2, or at least after Ant Man's movie

I loved The Avengers, best damn superhero movie since The Dark Knight (I still enjoy the Dark Knight more).

The one, single, little thing that I didn't like in the movie, which overall didn't really affect my "critical opinion" was the Hulk.

Bah, stop listening to me complain and GO SEE THIS MOVIE!

captcha: high five

You're damn right high five.

Jaeke:

I have two Questions.

thought it was a skrull. he looked red not purple to me.

I was waiting for Spider-man to swing in and ask "What did I miss?"

OT: I was hoping that the alien army was the skrulls... They're the ones we all know.

Jaeke:
I loved The Avengers, best damn superhero movie since The Dark Knight (I still enjoy the Dark Knight more).

The one, single, little thing that I didn't like in the movie, which overall didn't really affect my "critical opinion" was the Hulk.

Hmmm well as far as your spoilered bit goes:

ritchards:
While I am a big fan of the Infinity Gauntlet arc, dealing with Adam Warlock is going to completely change it (unless they want to have a whole 'nuther movie dealing with him, the simpliest path will be to get rid of him).

Nah, they can't do that as he's integral to understanding what Thanos is all about and why he loses. You do the story without Adam and you either wind up with everyone dying, or a pretty straightforward beatdown of Thanos... neither of which really does the whole idea justice.

While a villain that defeats themself is old hat for Marvel, this was a good story of it's kind, and to remain that way it has to be told in a very specific way.

I suppose they could always end it with The Silver Surfer actually succeeding with his last ditch grab (Adam having held him back, but I suppose he could just bide his time on his own), but given the horrors of the Fantastic Four movies, they would have to reboot that whole franchise for that one to work.

The same thing applies to say Doctor Doom, he was also there. They could always have him get the Infinity Gauntlet and then lose based on his own limitations and perhaps some psychological tampewring... but again it requires a Fantastic Four reboot. What they did to Doom... perhaps the greatest comic book villain of all time... was almost insulting.

I am hearing a lot of people point to "The Other" as Annihilus and that the aliens in the this movie only use the name "Chitauri" even though they are more akin to a cross between Skrulls and Negative Zone insect-people. I think its subtly implied that the portal the Cosmic Cube opened was actually a gateway into the Negative Zone which is often depicted as a void full of floating rocks and such.

Wait so if "The Other" is this big evil guy. Then why does Bruce Banner talk about him so much? At first I thought he was talking about his angry Hulk side. Can anyone fill me in?

Phuctifyno:
Anyone with a SNES kicking around should check out War Of The Gems. It's a pretty decent beat-em-up that touches on this material. You can play as Hulk, Cap, Iron Man, Wolverine, or Spider-man, and you can use each gem's benefits as you find them.

If Marvel's really considering delving into the weirder cosmic stuff for movies.... a really well-done, psychadelic, metaphysical Silver Surfer is what we need. Earth not included.

Yeah I have that old SNES game. Its basically a side-scroller version of Capcom's other game based off of the Infinity Gauntlet, "Marvel Superheroes", their first non-Xmen Marvel fighting game.

Hhttmmmfff....and you say the 90s were bad!

Arkvoodle:
I thought there was a SECOND post-credits teaser for next time. Beyond the big-bad guy.

There is indeed a second post-credits scene. But it's not a teaser or any sort of plot-advancer, it's just a for-laughs stinger, apparently shot on video, not "film."

Also,

Danimaltl:
Wait so if "The Other" is this big evil guy. Then why does Bruce Banner talk about him so much? At first I thought he was talking about his angry Hulk side. Can anyone fill me in?

No no, Banner talks about "The other guy", by which he means Hulk. The alien with the creepy voice who keeps popping up in the movie is the one people are calling The Other, with a capital O (apparently Annihilus is another acceptable name).

OhJohnNo:

Danimaltl:

No no, Banner talks about "The other guy", by which he means Hulk. The alien with the creepy voice who keeps popping up in the movie is the one people are calling The Other, with a capital O (apparently Annihilus is another acceptable name).

People are speculating that The Other is Annihilus but you can't be sure. It could also just be a Chitauri Commander of some kind.

Time for a good Deadpool movie to explain the Love triangle between Thanos, Death, and Deadpool!

Azex:
Am i the only one who thought that the blue gem in Loki's staff was the blue mind gem? It explains them all freaking out in that one scene

Not bad idea. However the Cap says that it "looks like A Hydra Weapon" (I.e powered by the Cube). And the physicist that Loki mind controls (Selvig) says something along the lines of "the cube can't fight itself" when Black Widow uses the staff to shut down the portal. Now that does mean it could actually be a cube powered mind gem, which is all kinds of awesome. And I believe the staff is still on earth, so who knows Iron Man 3 may have Tony Stark playing around with it.

Also the after credits scene, with Thanos' reveal, according to imdb has the Red Skull present (I'm assuming the Red Skull is the one who threatens Loki and acts as if he is Thanos' herald). The Red Skull knows all about weaponising the cosmic cube so would be the perfect person to create Loki's staff. And I know they don't ever actually get the cube but they are able to remotely activate it, allowing Loki to enter SHIELD's headquarters, so I imagine they have some way of accessing its power from a long distance away.

Crazy_Dude:

OhJohnNo:

Danimaltl:

People are speculating that The Other is Annihilus but you can't be sure. It could also just be a Chitauri Commander of some kind.

Imdb seem to think its Red Skull. Also the Cap says it "looks like a Hydra weapon" in regards to Loki's staff. And we never see the Red Skull die, just vanishes at the end of the Captain America film.

EDIT: imdb link, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0848228/trivia?tab=cz

therandombear:

CatmanStu:

I'm annoyed at my friends who made me leave the theatre before the credits finished rolling.

messy:

Azex:
Am i the only one who thought that the blue gem in Loki's staff was the blue mind gem? It explains them all freaking out in that one scene

Not bad idea. However the Cap says that it "looks like A Hydra Weapon" (I.e powered by the Cube). And the physicist that Loki mind controls (Selvig) says something along the lines of "the cube can't fight itself" when Black Widow uses the staff to shut down the portal. Now that does mean it could actually be a cube powered mind gem, which is all kinds of awesome. And I believe the staff is still on earth, so who knows Iron Man 3 may have Tony Stark playing around with it.

Also the after credits scene, with Thanos' reveal, according to imdb has the Red Skull present (I'm assuming the Red Skull is the one who threatens Loki and acts as if he is Thanos' herald). The Red Skull knows all about weaponising the cosmic cube so would be the perfect person to create Loki's staff. And I know they don't ever actually get the cube but they are able to remotely activate it, allowing Loki to enter SHIELD's headquarters, so I imagine they have some way of accessing its power from a long distance away.

Crazy_Dude:

OhJohnNo:

Imdb seem to think its Red Skull. Also the Cap says it "looks like a Hydra weapon" in regards to Loki's staff. And we never see the Red Skull die, just vanishes at the end of the Captain America film.

This link claims that Thanos says that they underestimated Earth, but Thanos never talks, he just smiles. So I would guess that the person who wrote that thought that Thanos was the Red Skull and the other guy was Thanos. Not really sure though 'cause neither of them looked like the red skull.

artanis_neravar:

messy:

Azex:

Crazy_Dude:

This link claims that Thanos says that they underestimated Earth, but Thanos never talks, he just smiles. So I would guess that the person who wrote that thought that Thanos was the Red Skull and the other guy was Thanos. Not really sure though 'cause neither of them looked like the red skull.

Good point. I wasn't overly convinced to be honest. Because yeah the big guy is defiantly Thanos. I still think the Red Skull will be coming back in some shape or form, assuming they can get Agent Smith to play him again.

artanis_neravar:

Jaeke:

I have two Questions.

Therumancer:

Jaeke:

Thanks for the info, I'm not a comic buff so my opinion has little-to-no support but if that arc plays out that will cater just to my taste so +1 awsome for that.

Therumancer:

Jaeke:

Dude, this post is a joke.

It seems like you've read the stuff, but by the way you talk about the Hulk leaves me confused. There's no way the Hulk would come close to "smashing" Thanos. And the stuff about multiple cosmic characters having a hard time slowing down the Hulk is a straight up lie.

First off, "smashing" the gauntlet is impossible. They've tried to the destroy the Infinity Gems many times and that doesn't work very well. Even the Infinity Being couldn't truly unmake itself. That's why they're gems.

Secondly, Thanos had far better knowledge of how to use the gauntlet than anybody else given the time he had with them and the time spent gazing into death's well. He chose to turn off input from the other gems as a gesture to death, suggested by Mephisto, that's the only reason why he did so poorly against the heroes.

Third, Hulk can never operate at fully capacity and it wouldn't be logical for anything like that to exist. He relies on gamma radiation, which just about any herald or high-end superhero can do whatever they want with, and rage. Like you probably read in WWH (a story that was laughably generous in its showings), or any Hulk stories, he relies on events and plots to make him even angrier. While the writers who handle the Hulk, hacks as they are (aside from the Peterman), often ignore any sense of logic or in-verse showings, Mindless Hulk should by all means be the strongest he can be. There's no maximum capacity when you rely on a type of energy and an emotion. And there is a reasonable limit to the latter.

Fourth, Hulk on his best days (aka with his worst writers) can tangle with Surfer, Thor and other herald-type guys when they take it to fisticuffs. The kind of heroes that would have to team up in order to take down Thanos. Hulk just isn't taking him down. Even IF Thanos would be stupid enough to actually fight the hulk hand to hand, he's still one of the most skilled fighters in the universe. He trained Gamora for christs sake. The fact that Thanos (up until annihilation) easily handled Drax w/power gem or the Champion w/gem , should clue you in on just how outclassed the Hulk is. Drax in his own right is around the level we usually see an angry hulk operate on, and the Power Gem practically grants him limitless energy and so on.

Fifth, the eternals are barely "cosmic" as far as most of marvel is concerned. The noteworthy ones have powers that directly counter his, Sersi/Makkari, or are just too powerful, Forgotten one/Zuras.

There's no excuse for spreading this kind of filth to those who do not read comics. I have little love for Thanos, but the idea that the Hulk win in a fight against him, and easily at that, is a laugh.

CatmanStu:

I turned to my mate, a much bigger Marvel junkie than I (I'm a DC man), and asked if that was who I thought it was.

He said "Yeah, I think so. But why is Heimdal in outer space?"

/facepalm

Yeah, I DEFINATLEY think that the spear had the Mind Gem in it. God, am I excited.

llagrok:

Therumancer:

Jaeke:

Dude, this post is a joke.

It seems like you've read the stuff, but by the way you talk about the Hulk leaves me confused. There's no way the Hulk would come close to "smashing" Thanos. And the stuff about multiple cosmic characters having a hard time slowing down the Hulk is a straight up lie.

First off, "smashing" the gauntlet is impossible. They've tried to the destroy the Infinity Gems many times and that doesn't work very well. Even the Infinity Being couldn't truly unmake itself. That's why they're gems.

Secondly, Thanos had far better knowledge of how to use the gauntlet than anybody else given the time he had with them and the time spent gazing into death's well. He chose to turn off input from the other gems as a gesture to death, suggested by Mephisto, that's the only reason why he did so poorly against the heroes.

Third, Hulk can never operate at fully capacity and it wouldn't be logical for anything like that to exist. He relies on gamma radiation, which just about any herald or high-end superhero can do whatever they want with, and rage. Like you probably read in WWH (a story that was laughably generous in its showings), or any Hulk stories, he relies on events and plots to make him even angrier. While the writers who handle the Hulk, hacks as they are (aside from the Peterman), often ignore any sense of logic or in-verse showings, Mindless Hulk should by all means be the strongest he can be. There's no maximum capacity when you rely on a type of energy and an emotion. And there is a reasonable limit to the latter.

Fourth, Hulk on his best days (aka with his worst writers) can tangle with Surfer, Thor and other herald-type guys when they take it to fisticuffs. The kind of heroes that would have to team up in order to take down Thanos. Hulk just isn't taking him down. Even IF Thanos would be stupid enough to actually fight the hulk hand to hand, he's still one of the most skilled fighters in the universe. He trained Gamora for christs sake. The fact that Thanos (up until annihilation) easily handled Drax w/power gem or the Champion w/gem , should clue you in on just how outclassed the Hulk is. Drax in his own right is around the level we usually see an angry hulk operate on, and the Power Gem practically grants him limitless energy and so on.

Fifth, the eternals are barely "cosmic" as far as most of marvel is concerned. The noteworthy ones have powers that directly counter his, Sersi/Makkari, or are just too powerful, Forgotten one/Zuras.

There's no excuse for spreading this kind of filth to those who do not read comics. I have little love for Thanos, but the idea that the Hulk win in a fight against him, and easily at that, is a laugh.

So... who would win Thor or Hulk?

Thor right?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook