Jimquisition: Don't Charge Retail Prices For Digital Games

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

I don't get, I mean when a physical copy of a game is the same price when it includes a disc, a booklet, and a plastic cover with pretty little pictures, as a digital copy that is just mega-bytes, fairy dust, or what ever data is made of.
Mass producing hundreds of those game packs and manuals can't be cheap, so why wouldn't the retail copies cover that difference in the price?
Perhaps they are covering the price of the website that you buy the game from. If that's the case then websites must cost a whole damn lot. For that matter how does the Escapist get it's funds? Surely if website maintnence is this expensive then the Escapist would need to sell far more than Zero Punctuation t-shirts, maybe the Escapist owns a chain of oil refinaries and drilling platforms.

Brett Bowling:
I don't get, I mean when a physical copy of a game is the same price when it includes a disc, a booklet, and a plastic cover with pretty little pictures, as a digital copy that is just mega-bytes, fairy dust, or what ever data is made of.
Mass producing hundreds of those game packs and manuals can't be cheap, so why wouldn't the retail copies cover that difference in the price?
Perhaps they are covering the price of the website that you buy the game from. If that's the case then websites must cost a whole damn lot. For that matter how does the Escapist get it's funds? Surely if website maintnence is this expensive then the Escapist would need to sell far more than Zero Punctuation t-shirts, maybe the Escapist owns a chain of oil refinaries and drilling platforms.

That's the point. Digital distribution does not cost however much it costs for manufacturing, so the fact that digital distribution should cost as much as a physical copy is stupid, especially since, in most cases, there are more incentives to buy physical, like special event DLC, etc.

The point is that in an age where the industry is trying to move more towards digital distribution, making it more attractive to buy retail is shooting themselves in the foot.

And bandwidth doesn't cost THAT much. It costs money to order units of games to keep on the shelves of a brick and mortar store. It doesn't cost as much money to offer it online, otherwise Valve would be out of business a long time ago.

Taunta:

And bandwidth doesn't cost THAT much. It costs money to order units of games to keep on the shelves of a brick and mortar store. It doesn't cost as much money to offer it online, otherwise Valve would be out of business a long time ago.

A) No, bandwidth is not free and despite what you may think, it's not a trivial price either. I work in Telcom. Go research 'Optical Carriers', and remember that digital distribution requires 100% availability until you can chart usage patterns. (People do not take kindly to not being able to download something they just paid for.) You're talking six figures a month for an operation like Steam. They soak much of their cost by charging the developers to list on their service-- go look at how many games they have available. Even at only a thousand dollars a month (probably much more for a AAA title), they have a really lucrative business going on there.
But at first? They didn't. It's well-documented how much of a risk Steam was. Again, just go Google it.
As far as the brick-and-mortar display costs, those are born by the retail establishment, not by the publisher, so your argument isn't relevant.

B) The entire foundation of Capitalism is "Goods will cost what people are willing to pay."

So, no, an argument that digitally distributed games should be cheaper because they don't require packaging is ignorant and/or naive.

Do you have to like it? No. But the absolutely only way to express your displeasure is to not buy digitally distributed copies... not that the publisher will really care unless you don't buy the game at all.

Complaining about it? You may as well be tossing bricks into the Grand Canyon.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IxBjzCXAyo&feature=g-all-u
Diablo 3 amazon 35 pounds shipping included and next day delivery
Diablo 3 cd key without packaging 45 pounds
Australia $100

Origin battlefield 3 $80
CDKEYHOUSE $20 but also online cd keys so wth

Buy any AAA game at all in Australia close to release $100
Anywhere else at all $30-40 less almost guaranteed

Steam Max Payne 3 $90
Amazon $60

This is retarded yo, I thought they wanted more people to buy online

I.Muir:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IxBjzCXAyo&feature=g-all-u
Diablo 3 amazon 35 pounds shipping included and next day delivery
Diablo 3 cd key without packaging 45 pounds
Australia $100

Origin battlefield 3 $80
CDKEYHOUSE $20 but also online cd keys so wth

Buy any AAA game at all in Australia close to release $100
Anywhere else at all $30-40 less almost guaranteed

Steam Max Payne 3 $90
Amazon $60

This is retarded yo, I thought they wanted more people to buy online

You wanna see something retarded?

Diablo III digital download at battle.net: €59,99
now here it comes
Diablo III key at a site selling game keys: €69,99

yep. You're paying them extra money for some extra inconvenience.
I wonder if someone actually fell for that

Edit: I should add that retail prices are set from €44 to €49 (or rather were set, as it's sold out everywhere)

The reason they're not leaping to take advantage of monopolizing the market is twofold. First of all, it'd be illegal for them to own all the distribution channels for a product that they produce. Secondly, even if it wasn't, distribution channels already exist that it's easier too just continue to use rather than setting up and maintaining, at their own expense, new ones. Thus, they must keep the maintainers of the old channels of distribution happy by maintaining price equality between digital and physical retailing, or even skewing the pricing in the favor of physical retailers.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here