Zero Punctuation: Prototype 2

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Prototype 2

This week, Zero Punctuation reviews Prototype 2.

Watch Video

Truly an abysmal title. Prototype soils the genre

"Possibly Liverpool" made me spew milkshake over my desk...expecially after last night. >.>

Ha, one of the shittiest games I've played in a while and Yahtzee gives it a positive review. Well, positive for Yahtzee.

Can you pull the same trick with prototype as with Batman and just change the system date to unlock stuff?

Also, am I the pretty one? I am aren't I?

He thinks I'm pretty!
So Heller has an even worse dress sense than Mercer? Well...

*puts on sunglasses*

...collar me disappointed.
YYYYYYEEEEEAAAAAHHHHH

Sad thing is for me I a PC gamer get to wait even longer to play it than Yhatzee had to.

VonKlaw:
"Possibly Liverpool" made me spew milkshake over my desk...expecially after last night. >.>

The fact that so many British people rip on Liverpool makes me wonder if the individuals from there are actually that bad.

I knew you'd like it, even though it's been getting ripped by critics. I haven't played it, but I did like the first one. Lots of funny parts, the pretty one and Liverpool especially.

This is pretty much what I thought was going to be the case. Fun game, but tries too take itself too seriously.

I can't make it to the Expo this year sadly, but I can always shower praises on you guys and girls in the comments until I can.

May it be the first of many!

Funniest ZP in quite a while.

I'm not sure what I'll think of the game - I enjoyed the first in a mindless psychotic spectacle kind of way, but the second sounds bleh.

Very fun review, as always.

Unfortunate time to mention North Carolina, by the way.

I found this episode had a ton of amusing quips.
One really did make me laugh out loud though:
"...so what with Alex Mercer being established by the end of Prototype as having the destructive potential of Godzilla... operating a forklift without regulated training..."

Excellent episode.

Also, I really did enjoy the first, so I'll be getting the second.

So what's that, the 5th game he's actually gone so far as to recommend? Quite impressive considering its a sequel.

Unless I take time off uni, I can't make it to the expo. I'll see what people say about it and maybe do it next year.

Hmm. Maybe Prototype 2 will make a good rental for me. Also, was that imp a John Defoe cameo? (last minute or so of the video)

Ho hum, I finally saw the first Infamous being played the other day. Looks incredibly tedious and protracted, with cut and paste enemies, horrible story telling and ugly grey scenery and animations. Is the original Prototype any better? Come to think of it, is Infamous 2 any better?

I'm glad that game journalists are not above using google translate.

porpoise hork:
Sad thing is for me I a PC gamer get to wait even longer to play it than Yhatzee had to.

VonKlaw:

The fact that so many British people rip on Liverpool makes me wonder if the individuals from there are actually that bad.

We British just pick on everyone. Seem as having an empire isn't cool anymore we've gotten accustomed to maintaining our ego's by making fun of absolutely everybody around us. The only variation depends on where specifically you live. For example, I'm from Lincolnshire where we don't get many Scousers so it's not so much fun to insult them. Yorkshiremen on the other hand...

maninahat:
Ho hum, I finally saw the first Infamous being played the other day. Looks incredibly tedious and protracted, with cut and paste enemies, horrible story telling and ugly grey scenery and animations. Is the original Prototype any better? Come to think of it, is Infamous 2 any better?

The answers to one and three would be no. As for number two if you like running around in GTA and blowing shit up then the answer is yes. If you dislike rampant violence then no.

This game might be bad, but it's not as bad as Kid Icarus was

You're now going to have to go to Liverpool and apologize. It is the way of things.

Also, having Yahtzee look right at me at the end is truly terrifying. Like being noticed by a lion while on safari. Or a Liverpudlian.

Its nice to see I am not the only one that feels prototype tries to get too serious for its own good.

I was not expecting "Saints Row" level of randomness and tongue-in-cheekness, but Heller is written like a rather generic "bad ass with a vengeance". Its hard to take the character seriously when he moans about his family while killing pedestrians using a grandma suit like the villain of MIB 1. I have the same issue with Bellic in GTA4.

porpoise hork:

Yatzee actually plays games as soon as he can (hence the Radnet content in the review), but he takes up to a week for each reviewed game/pair of games. Then he takes a week to write the review, because his fast talking in 5 minutes must take many lines.

As for the review, I'm surprised Yatzee didn't mention the side missions still being somewhat repetitive. They're still fun, though, especially when you jump from 100 feet in the air onto an unsuspecting PMC scientist (who may be a reluctant, oppressed PMC scientist) and bathe in his blood as you punch his face in.

I just hope that the game doesn't lose my interest like Saints Row the Third's sandbox did.

Ah... yes... the best thing about those games has always been the "wheeee!" factor that comes from doing whatever cathartic destruction you like.

Ya, the story in Prototype 2 was trying too hard to be taken serious. I too did muse on the fact that Heller kept saying "I will save all the innocent people being turned into infected, by the cruel and merciless Mercer and Blackwatch!" 2 minutes later you're chugging down these innocents for health and fun.

The leveling up system, or rather, the skill points and perks in this game I felt was a bit stupid. Most of the perks were double ups of each other in different talent trees, which were pretty "unimaginable" imo, when compared to the rest of abilities you have. Why not get a talent tree which would make your attacks a bit more "unique" perhaps, adding a second effect maybe on the black hole tendril attack?

Other then that though, I did have lots of fun in the game, roaming about body surfing on people and such! :D

EDIT: And using the claw abilites were much more satisfying in this game imo, along with the tendrils or hammerfists. Still sad they removed the hammertoss ability, was fun to use. :<

maninahat:

No, its not better than Infamous.

The issue of being both superhero games set in an open world city, released at the same time is that it lead to a lot of unfair comparisons. Truth is, they are not that similar... While Infamous is mostly a 3rd person shooter in an open world setting, Prototype controls a lot closer to old sandbox games, which is no surprise considering the developers' previous game was "Hulk: Ultimate Destruction" and this game feels a lot like that with an original IP.

Wait, wait, wait, whoa, whoa, whoa... isn't "take itself a little less seriously" the exact thing that ruined the Saint's Row series? I DO NOT WANT ALEX MERCER IN A RAINBOW WIG KILLING CIVILIANS WITH HIS "DILDOFIST" ABILITY, SIR.

Almost every single review I've read: Prototype 2 is a bland, uninspired sequel
Zero Punctuation: I kind of liked Prototype 2

For a while there I thought I was living in bizarro world O.o

You know for someone who is supposedly appalled at child killing mods you sure make a lot of jokes about murdering children.

And some of the stuff you joke about I wish they'd actually put in one of these games.

Like the broken glass slip and slide or toddler shotput.

The Black Watch recruited from the Scottish Highlands. I think maybe their representation is more accurate in Mount & Blade Napoleonic Wars than in this game from how it is described here.

Hello then. Would that be John Defoe I see next to Jason Voorhees in that Blackwatch potentials lineup?

Did anyone have the feeling that the original Prototype was to be taken seriously? I mean, there was the odd bit of storytelling here and there, and the web of intrigue appealed to the weird compulsion to collect every bit of scrap left lying around, but the game was so hilariously over the top that I always just assumed it to be written in a slight tongue-in-cheek-way.

Bottom line, if Prototype 2 is exactly like Prototype 1 only newer, Mr. Heller and I are going to have a blast :)

The Escapist Expo thing sounded interesting right up until the "North Carolina" part. It seems like if you're going to hold a convention it would probably be best not to hold it in a place that would automatically alienate a large portion of your audience.

porpoise hork:

VonKlaw:

As someone who lives there it's about the same as any other place in England, people just say more shit about it.

What's this? A Yahtzee review that makes me interested in a game instead of adding it to my big 'ol ignore list? Color me shocked!

If I weren't on a budget I might even pick it up. As it is, I'll wait for the price to come down or for more money to magic itself into existence.

Silly, all the crazies come from Durham.

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here