Zero Punctuation: Prototype 2

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

I wish I could attend the Escapist Expo and see you in your manliness yourself, YZ. But I'm constrained and cannot make it in time. :(

Anyways, it's interesting that a lot of sandbox games recently have been in good quality. Might take a look at the two Prototype games, now.

Lost it at "To the gulag!"...

ANeM:
The Escapist Expo thing sounded interesting right up until the "North Carolina" part. It seems like if you're going to hold a convention it would probably be best not to hold it in a place that would automatically alienate a large portion of your audience.

Now, now, they're not alienating anyone.

They just want to show that there is a first class citizen.

And if are on the wrong team, you are not that first class citizen.

My interest in prototype 2 took a plunge when I heard Mercer wouldnt' be the protagonist. When I heard I'd actually be hunting him down in order to kill him I lost rest of whatever desire I had to buy this game.

And now according to Yahtzee they'll be painting Mercer as some ridiculous saturday morning villain, in order to make the new guy nice and heroic like. Yeah, I'll pass on this game.

That was one of the funniest Zero Punctuation videos I've ever seen, seriously was laughing my butt off for most of it. Those quips were the best.

I did like the first Prototype but the unbalanced powers and punishing difficulty eventually turned me off of it and I never completed it. Glad to hear that that the sequel fixes at least one of those issues, might actually pick it up now.

porpoise hork:
Sad thing is for me I a PC gamer get to wait even longer to play it than Yhatzee had to.

VonKlaw:
"Possibly Liverpool" made me spew milkshake over my desk...expecially after last night. >.>

The fact that so many British people rip on Liverpool makes me wonder if the individuals from there are actually that bad.

We're really not, its just another easy target for people who cant think of anything original. Its kind of like rednecks or Mexicans in the US.

Just going to say: the escapist get-together really should be moved away from NC until they get their heads on straight.

Can we get the Stalin/Rubber Duckie pictures as a shirt?

The pretty one? Well I'm the only one in the room and I'm certainly not the pretty one.

Is it just me or was there a ton of child/baby killing jokes in this one?

Littaly:
Almost every single review I've read: Prototype 2 is a bland, uninspired sequel
Zero Punctuation: I kind of liked Prototype 2

For a while there I thought I was living in bizarro world O.o

Well, its still kinda fun, hence the 6-7 scores.

But at the same time its that bland kind of fun. Dunno how to describe it properly.

RetroFlush:
Very fun review, as always.

Unfortunate time to mention North Carolina, by the way.

Well, it is in the part of the state that voted against bigotry. :(

It's also in the same country that passed the Digital Millenium Copyright Act and other fun things. Sometimes we have to deal with idiocy. Luckily these days, the Internet is around to make noise about it.

Drink your sausage, kids... >_>

Abedeus:

ANeM:
The Escapist Expo thing sounded interesting right up until the "North Carolina" part. It seems like if you're going to hold a convention it would probably be best not to hold it in a place that would automatically alienate a large portion of your audience.

What are you talking about exactly?

So that's what's wrong with Alex Mercer's outfit. I always thought it looked rather 'unique', but I guess I had a hard time figuring it out, what with the screen always being filled with the blood and intestines of innocent bystanders flying about in a sea of bullets.

yahtzee that is a great idea!
prototype three: starring sinestro! (silver age sinestro that is)
that would be glorious

I rather agree with Mr.Croshaw here. The game may not be great but it really does beat a lot of others in sheer "lets go mess around a bit" fun. If the series took a Saints Row 3 approach to jsut intintionally making itself over-the-top silly it would probably be a far greater game.

ANeM:

This seems to suprise a lot of people. But North Carolina is a gameing Hub. A lot of major design schools and game developing companies are located here. Epic for example being one of the most well known.

Also The Escapist is based there and it would be QUITE silly for them to have to fly somewhere to go to their own convention now wouldn't it?

:D Lucky for me i love in NC

cricket chirps:

ImSkeletor:

Abedeus:

What are you talking about exactly?

This seems to suprise a lot of people. But North Carolina is a gameing Hub. A lot of major design schools and game developing companies are located here. Epic for example being one of the most well known.

Also The Escapist is based there and it would be QUITE silly for them to have to fly somewhere to go to their own convention now wouldn't it?

:D Lucky for me i love in NC

No dude, I live in virginia and im pretty happy to see the expo in North Carolina. I just have no idea of what hes talking about interms of the "Second class citizen thing."

Thanks Yahtzee yet again for an hilarious video.

I was looking forward for this title and I was reluctant at first,because the game looked the same as the first one in every aspect.

I might take a look at it once it releases on the PC in a month.

I really loved first game, but I will wait before buying Prototype 2. I'd like all DLC and challenges from the start.

Another hilarious winner from yahtzee! Did he just recommend it, though? I believe the whole point of the inFamous/Prototype lingere contest was to find out which series was better, until Yahtzee's "The World is Yet to Rcognize My Genius" makes it to stores.

I loved Prototype 2. They made just about everything better.

Yes. That includes Heller. Nevermind the fact that starting the game to find out that Mercer mysteriously got all his powers taken away from him, obviously so that the gameplay wouldn't suffer would really piss me off (looks at inFamous 2), there was NOTHING to like about the guy!

Mercer was a whiny, cowardly sociopath who released a virus on a city because of his paranoia. Then he becomes a megalomaniac.

Heller is a BAMF who wants revenge for his wife and daughter while never losing sight of his humanity. It was to the point where I'd try to harm as few civilians as possible.

Just my opinion though. No need to go spreading it around.

People are surprised Yahtzee enjoyed a game about open destruction, psychopathy, and ridiculous mayhem enacted on civilians, where the plot barely matters? It's almost like they don't understand what pushes his buttons.

So what, Zero Punctuation is the only truly positive review for a game?

Um... Did the sky fall when I wasn't looking?

Yeah, Heller was really bad. He's basically a sociopath, so they had to try way too hard to make Blackwatch look more evil than Heller is so that Heller can be the "good" guy of the story. Sorry Radical, but Heller is still an insanely evil son of a bitch who isn't even remotely relatable, and having him not kill one guy because he finds out that the guy has a daughter too doesn't change that.

Still good gameplay though, except for how they fucked up the controls compared to the first game.

No surprise here. It's an open sandbox game so, no matter the quality Yhatzee will love it. Just as he will hate any very prescripted linear game no matter its quality (ie Uncharted 2, 3)

Can we make a reality show pitting the Boys from Liverpool against the Guidos from the Jersey Shore in arena-style battles to the death?

For shame Yathzee, us fine people of Liverpool are kind and gentle folk. Its those crazy evolutionary throwbacks from Manchester you've got to watch out for :P

Well I should be going, those car stereos and hubcaps won't liberate themselves now.

captcha: tuckered out

Well a long night of stealing I mean finding items laying around so I can return them to lost property does make me tired <.<

The only thing this game has done for me so far is to act as a painful reminder that even though I picked up the original Prototype on launch date, I still have yet to actually finish it.

Other than that, this seems just like Prototype 1, just with a different protagonist, which isn't really a bad thing, considering how fun the original was.

Played it from Friday all the way through to Monday 4AM. Worth it. Fun game, really improves upon the last one. Not game of the year, but its one of the few time I've had a lot of FUN with a game.
Alex Mercer also seems to work better as a straight up Villain than an undecided Protagonist.

Dammit! First Yahtzee extra in months and it was an advertisement.

I keep hoping.

Aside from that, pretty hilarious outing this time. Thanks!

ben has gotten quite silly in his latest reviews.

FIRST LIVERPOOL UND ZEN ZE VORLD!

GeorgW:
I knew you'd like it, even though it's been getting ripped by critics. I haven't played it, but I did like the first one. Lots of funny parts, the pretty one and Liverpool especially.

In truth, I don't really take critics that seriously besides just a few like Yahtzee himself. Most of them tend to judge the game on quality, on plot, and on facts such as gameplay while they're not interested from the start but play it anyways due to being paid. For Yahtzee, the reason he liked this was because it improved from the first Prototype along with having much to do if you're killing time.

But yeah if a ton of critics are ripping a game then it does leave you wondering.. anyways I liked this review and I laughed quite a few times. Good show of course Yahtzee, i'll probably never get bored of your episodes (besides, I myself have seen every single one so.. doubt I will stop now anyways for whatever reason).

TheCaptain:
Did anyone have the feeling that the original Prototype was to be taken seriously? I mean, there was the odd bit of storytelling here and there, and the web of intrigue appealed to the weird compulsion to collect every bit of scrap left lying around, but the game was so hilariously over the top that I always just assumed it to be written in a slight tongue-in-cheek-way.

Bottom line, if Prototype 2 is exactly like Prototype 1 only newer, Mr. Heller and I are going to have a blast :)

But honestly I was hoping to see if there was more about how repetitive Prototype 2 was to 1, I mean I think I went halfway through Prototype 1 before never picking it up again because I just got so bored since it was so repetitive. Yah it wasn't bad it's just even with all the abilities it got old real fast especially when all the new enemies are just beefier versions of ones you've been fighting for a long time.

I can agree with Yahtzee on this one. Prototype 2 was fun while it lasted, but once it's done, it's just... done. And forgettable. I remember it holding my attention at the time, but I honestly don't recall much of what happened in the game.

The ending is also incredibly dumb and very rushed. But I have to say, there's something awesome about moving the way Heller does. I wouldn't pay for this game, but it was a fantastic rent.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here