Minecraft Xbox 360 Edition Overview

Pages 1 2 NEXT

So there is no peaceful mode in the 360 version. I'll wait until it gets one because having creepers blowing up my creations is not my idea of fun.

Crono1973:
So there is no peaceful mode in the 360 version. I'll wait until it gets one because having creepers blowing up my creations is not my idea of fun.

Actually Peaceful mode is in there. It is in the settings.

I am actually pissed off with the price. Here in Canada a $20 point card only gives 1400 points instead of the full 1600. This is annoying. VERY annoying. I am hoping some generous person will Send me money Via paypal for it cause I can't shell out for two $20 cards... But that will never happen.

Solo-Wing:

Crono1973:

I am actually pissed off with the price. Here in Canada a $20 point card only gives 1400 points instead of the full 1600. This is annoying. VERY annoying.

Peaceful mode isn't here in the demo. Did you buy it, are you sure it's there in the full version?

Crono1973:

Solo-Wing:

Crono1973:

I am actually pissed off with the price. Here in Canada a $20 point card only gives 1400 points instead of the full 1600. This is annoying. VERY annoying.

Peaceful mode isn't here in the demo. Did you buy it, are you sure it's there in the full version?

It is in the demo.
Go to Help and Options then Settings. At the very bottom of the menu.

I can only afford the free trial at the moment, but I've enjoyed what I've been able to do in the trial. Many of my friends have already bought the game and love it So it's definitely on my list of games to get.(although I would have bought the PC version ages ago if I had a half decent PC)

Solo-Wing:

Crono1973:

Solo-Wing:

It is in the demo.
Go to Help and Options then Settings. At the very bottom of the menu.

You're right, but that slider wasn't there yesterday.

Either me and my little brother are doing something horribly wrong, or this review has a glaring omission. Is the world supposed to be tiny?

I found there were invisible walls if you tried to wander in any direction at all after a pretty short time, the world was only as big as the map you receive at the start in fact. This is a big issue for me, as it removes a lot of the fun I had just exploring and setting up distant bases in the PC version, so it's something people should really be made aware of.

Lunncal:
Either me and my little brother are doing something horribly wrong, or this review has a glaring omission. Is the world supposed to be tiny?

I found there were invisible walls if you tried to wander in any direction at all after a pretty short time, the world was only as big as the map you receive at the start in fact. This is a big issue for me, as it removes a lot of the fun I had just exploring and setting up distant bases in the PC version, so it's something people should really be made aware of.

That can't right can it? Exploration was 80% of the single player game for me.

hat I want to know is does it still use Java? I'd love a PC version that was optimised better than Java allows.

Will there ever be a patch to allow the old crafting system? Cycling through a bunch of recipes is nowhere near as fun as the old system of, you know, crafting things.

My younger brother bought this as all his friends have 360's and not very good computers. Im pretty impressed with it actually, it isnt as good as the PC version but the controls are good, and the online is much more streamlined so there is no need to set up hamachi or anything to play with friends. Also the split screen mode is cool, that is something that it has over the PC version.

octafish:

Lunncal:

hat I want to know is does it still use Java? I'd love a PC version that was optimised better than Java allows.

Didn't believe it myself at first, but there it is. Walk no more than a minute or so in any direction from the spawn point and you just get halted by invisible walls. My brother (who is the one who actually bought it) seems to be happy enough just to be able to play with his friends over Xbox live on it, but if it were me I'd be pretty annoyed.

From what I gather the port is in C++ by the way, and it does seem to perform far better on the Xbox than on my (slightly) more powerful PC. I've no idea how much of that is just the result of limiting the features so much as opposed to an improved code-base, though.

Baught this game and Im having a blast. Wish I could get the PC version, but my credit card is apparently not good enough for Notch.

If I didn't already have it on PC I would get this. Its a bit sad that there are no pistons yet.

To be honest, the LACK of the pointless villages with stupid villagers is actually a selling point for me. The villagers are really the one addition to Minecraft that kinda ruined the experience for me. The villages themselves actually helped in my opinion. They were empty and lifeless, telling a story in themselves that this is abandoned world for some reason we don't know. And then... stupid squidwards.

No mods, no custom maps, no adventure worlds, no texture packs, no random towns and the map size is tiny to account for the very old Xbox 360 hardware--so small in fact, that it is quite easy to walk from one side of the map to the other (invisible walls) within minutes.

Solo-Wing:

Crono1973:

I am actually pissed off with the price. Here in Canada a $20 point card only gives 1400 points instead of the full 1600. This is annoying. VERY annoying. I am hoping some generous person will Send me money Via paypal for it cause I can't shell out for two $20 cards... But that will never happen.

Is Bing Rewards available in Canada? I've gotten a grand total of 6800 MS points in the last year. It's helpful for rounding out those uneven balances. Also, I've gotten 840 MS points from Xbox rewards. They've actually financed a full game, several arcade titles, and many DLC packs.

Check it out if you haven't already. Link.

subtlefuge:

Solo-Wing:

Crono1973:

Is Bing Rewards available in Canada? I've gotten a grand total of 6800 MS points in the last year. It's helpful for rounding out those uneven balances. Also, I've gotten 840 MS points from Xbox rewards. They've actually financed a full game, several arcade titles, and many DLC packs.

Check it out if you haven't already. Link.

Nope. American only. Again same problem. I cannot buy 2 cards. Yet alone one. I am broke T.T

Crono1973:

Peaceful mode is a difficulty setting, not a separate game mode.

Having been a console gamer for most of my life, I have to ask: Is this the smug sense of superiority that PC gamers feel all the time? Because I could get used to it.

Denamic:

Crono1973:

Semantics. You really posted just to say that?

well that was a poor overview it missed out quite a bit. Yeah multiplayer is probably fun but it won't work if you don't have an HD TV, so no splitscreen for me and the map size is radically limited only takes about five minutes to cross it. Bought it so i could run it with a render distance further than short and what I've been left with is a watered down version of the game. I just can't get over the map size limitations back on the old PC version one of my maps had rail roads that spanned multiple maps, linking all my bases in different biomes, by the looks of it the 360 map I'm currently on doesn't even have a snowy biome.

My advice to anyone interested is to hold off, unless some of the missing features are restored.

Solo-Wing:
Nope. American only. Again same problem. I cannot buy 2 cards. Yet alone one. I am broke T.T

Don't suppose you know someone who works in a computer store? If they can get a Microsoft Expertzone account and watch a dozen how-to-upsell-Office propaganda videos, I'm pretty sure those cards are available for like 11 bucks apiece. Less if you keep it up for a few months to get to "expert" status. Even a 2800 point card is cheap (10 dollars + watch 2 videos at expert level, or something).

Crono1973:

Denamic:

Crono1973:

Semantics. You really posted just to say that?

I don't think you know what that word means.
Either way, your original assumption is wrong and the setting is available in the in the game.

Formica Archonis:

Solo-Wing:

Don't suppose you know someone who works in a computer store? If they can get a Microsoft Expertzone account and watch a dozen how-to-upsell-Office propaganda videos, I'm pretty sure those cards are available for like 11 bucks apiece. Less if you keep it up for a few months to get to "expert" status. Even a 2800 point card is cheap (10 dollars + watch 2 videos at expert level, or something).

Nope. I don't know anybody who works in a computer store.

Nice to see they took a hint from Terraria and the like and included a scroll-through crafting system that is still needed in the PC game (or something like it). If they had a Guide character who you could check what materials can make what items, then they'd be all set.

Wait, the map is tiny in the full version? Can I get that confirmed?

It's likely that the size of the area you can go in is limited in splitscreen so that players can't go too far apart and make the game load too many chunks.

Jimmy T. Malice:
It's likely that the size of the area you can go in is limited in splitscreen so that players can't go too far apart and make the game load too many chunks.

Nope,it only goes as far as your map does,it's pretty much an island surrounded by water & invisible walls. It still makes quite a big map. So far I've noticed it's missing Villages,mines,the dungeon,silverfish, creative mode,& Endermen.But there is a spot in the menu for DLC so we might get some of the stuff later.

Crono1973:

Peaceful mode is there, you can set the difficulty in the settings menu and when you start/load up worlds.

I'm thoroughly enjoying the 360 version at the moment. It feels a little... lacking, but it does suffice for the time being. I've had a good play of it with some friends and even spent too many hours yesterday building a fortress with water cascading down the glass from the roof. BUT a lot of the really good stuff from PC just isn't there.

My friends and I are just enjoying it for now, nothing more and nothing less. I'm anticipating the next update for the game too: hopefully NPC's, strongholds and pistons and jungles and such will be included; though I also hopes it's not to far into the future. It would be like if a Halo 3 PC port had no theatre or forge-mode.

Overall: very well made, very entertaining and worth the money if you don't already have MineCraft or would love to play it with friends in the same room on 1 screen, albeit lacking features at the moment.

The game is roughly equivalent to Minecraft Beta 1.6 so it'll take a while before we see any additions like villages/mines. To be honest a lot of people feel that those additions ruined the core minecraft experience by trying to shoehorn in a faux-rpg element but that's for another conversation.

Solo-Wing:
I am actually pissed off with the price. Here in Canada a $20 point card only gives 1400 points instead of the full 1600. This is annoying.

Why not buy points cards off Ebay? I just did a quick check and you can find 1600 for under $20 and they usually email you the codes. I buy all my points cards that way (Europe here) in 4200 batches and usually costs me around 35 so it's basically a 1:1 conversion for Points to Euro Cents. Very handy for a quick visual conversion.

Lunncal:

octafish:

Lunncal:

Didn't believe it myself at first, but there it is. Walk no more than a minute or so in any direction from the spawn point and you just get halted by invisible walls. My brother (who is the one who actually bought it) seems to be happy enough just to be able to play with his friends over Xbox live on it, but if it were me I'd be pretty annoyed.

From what I gather the port is in C++ by the way, and it does seem to perform far better on the Xbox than on my (slightly) more powerful PC. I've no idea how much of that is just the result of limiting the features so much as opposed to an improved code-base, though.

Most of the performance gain will be from the C++ port and optimisations. Managed languages like Java and C# will perform badly in real time applications like games because opportunities for optimisations are scarce. For XNA, Microsoft took a slim version of .Net for C# and optimised the hell out of it for games.

To everyone who has hit invisible walls, apparently the game world is only 1024 by 1024 blocks according to the wiki ( Which barely harms it, i have still found epic mountians, beautiful waterfalls and the like, you can still explore, plus you do get a map to see where the end is.) however for me, it feels much bigger. But yes, it is smaller than the PC version, it might be given more area with the coming updates.

But still, considering my Laptop hates rendering Minecraft properly, this is like a gift from the gods, i love it! Sure the PC version is better, with the unlimited world, but it's hardly a deterrent, there is still A LOT you can do, and the only items that are't there are things from the new patches.

I dread to think when Endermen come to the 360 *shudder*

IrateDonnie:

Jimmy T. Malice:

Nope,it only goes as far as your map does,it's pretty much an island surrounded by water & invisible walls. It still makes quite a big map. So far I've noticed it's missing Villages,mines,the dungeon,silverfish, creative mode,& Endermen.But there is a spot in the menu for DLC so we might get some of the stuff later.

Mods will also be availible, i think they will be the DLC tbh, and i think the patches will be free, somehow i doubt Notch/Mojang would let us pay for them but i could be wrong.

But yeh, texture packs and character skins are coming.

Noswad:
well that was a poor overview it missed out quite a bit. Yeah multiplayer is probably fun but it won't work if you don't have an HD TV, so no splitscreen for me and the map size is radically limited only takes about five minutes to cross it. Bought it so i could run it with a render distance further than short and what I've been left with is a watered down version of the game. I just can't get over the map size limitations back on the old PC version one of my maps had rail roads that spanned multiple maps, linking all my bases in different biomes, by the looks of it the 360 map I'm currently on doesn't even have a snowy biome.

My advice to anyone interested is to hold off, unless some of the missing features are restored.

It does have a snow Biome, believe me, check your map there will parts you haven't explored. the only biomes it doesn't have is jungle and swamp.

And the features will be restored, just don't expect an unlimited world, doubtfull anyway, still good though ive managed to make many houses across the world, each a fair distance apart.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here