Jimquisition: Videogames Are A Luxury

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Videogames Are A Luxury

A common argument used to defend the videogame industry from accusation of anti-consumerism are that games are a luxury, therefore nobody is entitled to them. A fair enough suggestion, but one that misconstrues a number of reasons why the game industry is criticized in the first place, and the real reason why anti-consumerism is a problem. This week, the Jimquisition explains the folly of the "games as a luxury" argument.

Watch Video

Videogames ARE a luxury
Jim Sterling is a necessity.
I want shrimp

Now I'm not usually this guy, but...

People didn't already know this?

And now, I want....a Cream Egg.

We're just out of season too, wonderful

Shrimp static... I dont get it...

why the prawns at the end?

DVS BSTrD:
Videogames ARE a luxury
Jim Sterling is a necessity.

Remember to thank god for him.

Like always great subject of discussion, i live in a country where a new game cost a lot money and used games are pretty much a god send.

"It's like they made two bags of money fuck to have money babies."

I could easily see EA trying to make this a reality.

Good video. Yes video games are unnecessary and therefore sit pretty low on the priority list. I get satisfaction hearing that sales are down. I hope that means people are protesting the greed of the publishers.

I wonder if there's a non-corrupt way to have critics set game prices. i.e. the better a game is rated, the more it's allowed to cost.

It's not just, that videogames are to expensive, they have been getting worse and worse over the last few years. So much stuff got dumbed down so that the game can reach a bigger audience that as a player who appreciates a good challenge I can't enjoy most of the games anymore.

World of Warcraft? Dumbed down to a point where it's gotten really boring (example: skilltrees, different difficulties for the same dungeons and so on)
Civilization 5? Lost a lot of features compared to it's predecessors
Shooters? All the same, it doesn't matter if it's Crysis 2, CoD:groundhog day or whatsoever

But they all demand more and more money for stuff older players got free a few years back and they deliver less and less at the same time.

CoD Mappacks for 10 Dollars (5 maps!!!!!!). These morons can go and f*** themselves. I wont support these business models.

I've effectively stopped buying games from companies like EA, UbiSoft, Activision and Blizzard as well.

It's not just the money ripoff. It's the "Online-Services" as well. I don't want to have 4-5 freakin programs (Steam, Origin, UbiLauncher, Battlenet -yeah I know it's not an actual seperate software, but still-)on my PC just so I can actually run the games connected to them.

on Some days, i miss being in the world with only shrimp. Today is one of those.

Ne1butme:
on Some days, i miss being in the world with only shrimp. Today is one of those.

I dunno, the world with no shrimp had it's merits.

But... what about the people who distribute the games? The retailers and online retailers? GameStop, GOG, Steam?

and Jim Sterling is an incredibly sexy man...

Oh shit I actually wrote that O_o

DiMono:
I wonder if there's a non-corrupt way to have critics set game prices. i.e. the better a game is rated, the more it's allowed to cost.

You really don't want that. Heaps of praise thrown on games like Skyrim would result in $100 price tags.

This is all true. But it's also true, as I've said, that the price of many games is artificially low when they have to sell in the millions to make back their production costs. I don't say that as a "woe, won't someone think of the poor publishers" statement; I just think the current way of things is unsustainable. Something's gotta give, and will, and soon...

nodlimax:

CoD Mappacks for 10 Dollars (5 maps!!!!!!)

Wasn't the last one $15? Regardless the point stands. It's too damn expensive.

Captcha: baby steps
lol

Im quite poor. I live with my mum at the mo and earn, roughly, 200-250 every two weeks. I give half to my mum which leaves me with about 100 for myself every fortnight. Its enough to get by and ive always hated London transport so prefer to walk everywhere but after buying food for myself every day and the handful of times a week I need to take the tube I only have about 50 left. If I wanna go out with my brother to the cinema or if I have a relatives birthday then basically I don't get any spending money. I don't mind, im not greedy, all in all I think over the past year ive bought 2 AAA games for myself and play 1 or 2 of my brothers. The point im trying to make is that I have to be careful with what I buy, I would never pirate a game so I tend to check out CEX before any of my purchases. If publishers want me to buy their stuff then they sould stoping crying and start acting like a REAL f*cking buisness! I personally don't mind a slightly lower resolution if it means I can actually afford the bloody thing.

Ive got several 1st world problems being a publishers bitch aint one!

HIT ME!

DiMono:

Here's a better one: the more good things critics say about video games, the better they will sell.

Plenty of great games exist cheaper than the newest AAA titles.

About one days worth of work, for minimal wage, can get you the money for a new AAA game. (Even in Australia)

Sales are low when 'so so' games are being released.

*yawn

Cry me a river.

I still think game prices are reasonable, and I expect them to rise in the next 5 years. I hope they will be worth it. Or perhaps... dare I say it... we have to wait until the game goes down in price before we buy them?!? OMG!!

I think we need a new term instead of luxury item. A luxury item is desirable.

We should start calling them excess items. I wouldn't call X-Men Destiny desirable.

Greed will fuk this industry up. Just like in the 1980's or the discrete video card business nowadays.

DiMono:

We do it's called wait a few months.

Sober Thal:
Plenty of great games exist, for sale, cheaper than the newest AAA titles.

About one days worth of work, for minimal wage, can get you the money for a new AAA game. (Even in Australia)

*yawn

Cry me a river.

Oh wow.....way to show that you don't understand, or even care about, those less rich and parent-leaching than yourself. Way to go. I don't think I can even start describing why what you've said is wrong without shooting my mouth off and getting my dumb ass banned. Suffice to say, people who have moved out of their parents' house need to spend that day's wage on stuff like food, rent, etc. They don't have much to spare on other items. Which is kinda what makes them poor, y'know?

One point was left out. They don't buy it, they pirate it. Down a sale. +1 to the torrent feed.

nodlimax:
It's not just, that videogames are to expensive, they have been getting worse and worse over the last few years. So much stuff got dumbed down so that the game can reach a bigger audience that as a player who appreciates a good challenge I can't enjoy most of the games anymore.

That might be subjective to player views, and over-generalizing the game industry as a whole. You could argue that a sequel to one game (Dragon Age II) is a dumbed-down version of the prequel (Dragon Age: Origins), but one player might prefer the "console" style version of that game-world over the PC RPG version of the predecessor. I know I felt like this when I looked at "Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion" after "Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind" as I saw IV a dumbed down sequel to III. But does this make IV bad? No, I really enjoy playing the copy I have on Steam, along with the more simple "Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim."

As for the generalization, there are still new games being made that aren't sequels. Last year we got "Bastion," "Dark Souls," and "Hard Reset." Two of them action-RPGs with different difficulty levels and game-worlds, while the other is an FPS that allows us to shoot giant, bulky robots to tiny bits (now only if they made 'Michael Bay' as a final boss to that game).

@Jim Sterling: Sounds more like a repeat of the past few episodes and a bit defensive, but overall an episode with a good message. I think developers and publishers could encourage more sales for their products if they reduced the price or provided options to get the game at a cheaper price. Actually, I always wondered why don't publishers open their own store that allows them to accept and sell used versions of their game?

PunkRex:
Im quite poor. I live with my mum at the mo and earn, roughly, 200-250 every two weeks. I give half to my mum which leaves me with about 100 for myself every fortnight. Its enough to get by and ive always hated London transport so prefer to walk everywhere but after buying food for myself every day and the handful of times a week I need to take the tube I only have about 50 left. If I wanna go out with my brother to the cinema or if I have a relatives birthday then basically I don't get any spending money. I don't mind, im not greedy, all in all I think over the past year ive bought 2 AAA games for myself and play 1 or 2 of my brothers. The point im trying to make is that I have to be careful with what I buy, I would never pirate a game so I tend to check out CEX before any of my purchases. If publishers want me to buy their stuff then they sould stoping crying and start acting like a REAL f*cking buisness! I personally don't mind a slightly lower resolution if it means I can actually afford the bloody thing.

The horrible irony is that the people who pirate games, more often than not, can afford paying for them.

I feel like eating shrimps suddenly...

This is part of the reason why I think pirating numbers are overinflated. Many people are too poor to afford the game and so take the only option available to them. A large part of the numbers don't represent a loss because those people would never have been able to buy the games in the first place. I'm not trying to argue the morality of pirating here but producers that point to these already inflated pirating numbers and then say they are actually out this money are lying in order to shift blame to an easy scape goat. At some point they need to take some of the blame on themselves.
Corporatists are always the first to say that the business practices they use are not broken because it's up to the people to ultimately determine the value of the product through 'market forces'. However when we do dictate the price and say it's too high we're whiners or unreasonable. It's never their fault.

freaper:

PunkRex:

The horrible irony is that the people who pirate games, more often than not, can afford paying for them.

With yellow (imitation) bannanas?

Great video. Only question: do I get a writing credit? :P

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.374224-Games-are-a-luxury-item-So

I kid, but that is two weeks in a row where the topic has come straight from the forums. A special thanks line in the credits might be a good idea for videos like that.

trollpwner:

Sober Thal:
Plenty of great games exist, for sale, cheaper than the newest AAA titles.

*yawn

Cry me a river.

Oh wow.....way to show that you don't understand, or even care about, those less rich and parent-leaching than yourself. Way to go. I don't think I can even start describing why what you've said is wrong without shooting my mouth off and getting my dumb ass banned. Suffice to say, people who have moved out of their parents' house need to spend that day's wage on stuff like food, rent, etc. They don't have much to spare on other items. Which is kinda what makes them poor, y'know?

I think I understand. I know I don't care.

As the first line of my post said: Plenty of great games exist, for sale, cheaper than the newest AAA titles.

Also, I added a bit a moment after posting: I still think game prices are reasonable, and I expect them to rise in the next 5 years. I hope they will be worth it. Or perhaps... dare I say it... we have to wait until the game goes down in price before we buy them?!? OMG!!

EDIT: Sorry if I sound too harsh, I don't want to upset you. It's better to just ignore me if I make you feel on the verge of getting banhammered.

Peace be with you.

Owyn_Merrilin:
Great video. Only question: do I get a writing credit?

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/read/9.374224-Games-are-a-luxury-item-So

I kid, but that is two weeks in a row where the topic has come straight from the forums. A special thanks line in the credits might be a good idea for videos like that.

Don't get your hopes up. In the years that I've been here, I've posted several topics hours, even days before they posted them as news and yet I've never once received credit. I even brought it up a time or two and said they have no obligation to do so etc.

freaper:

PunkRex:

There was a study that pirates spend more on music than non pirates. http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/crime/illegal-downloaders-spend-the-most-on-music-says-poll-1812776.html

I wonder if it's true for games too.

Here are things I could likely "do" without: games, movies, music, TV, internet, telecommunication in general, cars/public transportation and roads in general, any type of art, probably even books, hell I'd likely even survive without a home or electricity, but why the fuck should I have to?

If you cut everything down to the bare essentials e.g. caveman style all one needs to survive is basically food and warmth in the form of things like caves or clothes/blankets.
Everything else can be defined as "luxury" if you go by this narrow-minded approach. Yet I don't know when I last heard anyone argue that any other form of cultural medium like music or TV is a "luxury".

Other than that, games have a very large breadth of usage by now and can basically also do what books, paintings and movies are doing. There's educational games, there's games or simulators training pilots or troops, there's also Free2Play games that basically cost nothing (how does a "luxury" cost nothing?). Hell, there's even games created for the sake of art alone and given out for free, there's actually a lot of them.
They're also in our every day lives from the mobile phone, to a cars computer and can even be found on things like toothbrushes nowadays.

I'd very much like it if people would just use the economic definition of the word instead, e.g. from Wikipedia:

In economics, a luxury good is a good for which demand increases more than proportionally as income rises, and is a contrast to a "necessity good", for which demand is not related to income.

Luxury goods are said to have high income elasticity of demand: as people become wealthier, they will buy more and more of the luxury good. This also means, however, that should there be a decline in income its demand will drop. Income elasticity of demand is not constant with respect to income, and may change sign at different levels of income. That is to say, a luxury good may become a normal good or even an inferior good at different income levels, e.g. a wealthy person stops buying increasing numbers of luxury cars for his automobile collection to start collecting airplanes (at such an income level, the luxury car would become an inferior good).

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here