The Big Picture: Last Starr

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Last Starr

This week MovieBob takes you on a nostalgia filled trip back to the mid-80's.

Watch Video

HOLY CRAP! I just looked into this show last week after hearing part of the main theme in this awesome Cartoon Medley:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZrMvYHFeH60

The same censorship standards (that and the controversy surrounding Power Rangers) are the reason the early 90s Marvel cartoons were full of futuristic laser guns.

I remember that show. Though I don't think I ever watched it, at least not the way I watched a Transformers or GI Joe or whatever. Pretty sure I remember seeing the toys at the Toys R Us too, but it's hard to say.

Nice vid Mr Bob.

Equesteroid? God damn, when they make up words they make up words.

That is one goofy ass looking show though.

I've been wondering when The Trenches would cue up a revival in Bravestarr interest... Ah, nostalgia.

Remember Captain Power? Boglins?

BRAVE STAR!!! SPEED OF A PUMA!!!!

Can anyone explain in one to ten sentences how penny arcade got so big. I know they have a webcomic but I only ever "get" 1 in 10 of them.

I remember loving Bravestarr. In fact, while I'm familiar with the existence of Trenches, I didn't know about Lawstarr specifically until I saw that image. And I knew EXACTLY what they were ripping off.

The thing is, even a lot of the "good" cartoons at the time sucked. Looking at them now, they don't hold up (with a few major exceptions). When I saw Bravestarr on Netflix, I was amazed at how bad it was compared to my memory. Still kinda amusing and fun, but wow. And the stereotypes about Shamanism and the "prairie people?" Even if not intentionally racist, hoo-boy!

I loved that cartoon. But even into my 20's, I realized that all of those shows from that era were just constant remaking of the same themes. One of the things I loved about the aesthetics of the period was the constant clashing of ancient or older elements mixed with futuristic technologies, and BraveStarr was kind of the epitome of this for me.

Wait-wait-wait...

A make-up company purchased Filmation? Wat.

L'Oreal? What the hell would a cosmetics company want with an animation studio?

CORPORATE AQUISITIONS
ARE
WEEEEEEEEIIIIIIIRRRRRRRRRRDDDDDDDD!!!!

I got fucking goosebumps when I heard that intro.

Though in hindsight it was probably the only good thing about the show, like with so many other 80's toyline cartoons.

I think Bob forgot to talk about the biggest issue there; Why was an animation studio bought by a hair product company?

Moviebob, spare my brain cells please. man there were so many werid shows back in the day, i'll just leave it at that and leave, my brain needs some resting time.

Captcha: Round table, er it it trying to tell me something?

You know, I see these clips of those old 80s cartoons and it makes me glad that I was born at the tail-end of the decade. Because I didn't have to grow up watching that crap. Granted, I had crap of my own, but it wasn't so... weird.

Also, I'm not familiar with Penny Arcade. I don't read too many web comics. My brother has read plenty, however, and last he told me, Penny Arcade was the Garfield of web comics. For those of you who think that's a complimentary comparison, I pity you. Anyway, I took his word for it, and I only visit the Penny Arcade site to watch Extra Credits.

Qitz:
Equesteroid? God damn, when they make up words they make up words.

I almost read "Equestria" there... Either way, both "names" come from "Equus", which is a genus of animals which include horses, zebras, and donkeys.

Urh:

CORPORATE AQUISITIONS
ARE

Well, you see, it was the 80's. If you weren't actively raiding other corporations, then you were in the process of being raided. Investment bankers needed to keep this concept up, or else they would have run out of cocaine.

Urh:

CORPORATE AQUISITIONS
ARE

And for that you win an internet. :D

Big companies (within reason) buy anything they think they can make money out of. Even if it's just by chopping it up and selling all the bits. :(

I...just don't even...I think my head exploded at least twice?

And then I found this

OH. THANK. GOD.

Bravestarr was weird even for 80s tv. I never really got into it, but still got all nostalgic over this topic all the same. Seeing all those clips...

I'm still trying to decide whether that was a good thing or not.

Remembering the 80s, probably not.

I remember loving this show as a kid but you're absolutely right, it does not hold up. This is the series that established for me that 80s kids cartoons weren't allowed to have characters die--unless it was from a drug overdose. The War on Drugs was so important in the Reagan era, it was worth scaring kids shitless to get across the message, "drugs are bad, m'kay". (But guns, missiles, plane crashes and killer robots are totally awesome you guys!) The only show from that era that holds up for me is G.I. Joe, and mostly because the writers clearly knew how ridiculous their plots were, and frequently lampshaded it.

The only exception was Robotech, which (as per the anime series it was redubbing) had several deaths of key characters.

Urh:

CORPORATE AQUISITIONS
ARE

Around the early 90s, neoliberalism slithered its way into governments around the world, and the traditional regulations on corporate mergers and acquisitions were gradually relaxed, so you ended up with liquor companies buying music companies, movie studios merging with internet start-ups, home electronic giants buying movie studios, ten guys controlling all the news in the English-speaking world, etc.

Did you know L'Oreal is owned by Nestle? Those magnificent bastards! After their chocolate gives you acne, you'll have to buy their coverup!

I'm pretty sure I had Bravestarr action figures growing up. I vaguely remember the cartoon, just the fact that he could channel the power of animals.

Urh:

CORPORATE AQUISITIONS
ARE

Not the strangest example of 80's ARE WEIRD.

A different company looking to expand into previous unheard of markets, including handling the mass produced version of Cabbage Patch Kids sporting goods and a few game systems.

That company's original name is the Connecticut Leather Company. It still makes leather goods to this day. When it created its gaming system, it rebranded itself as Coleco.

I got to "New Texas" before I just fell out of my chair laughing. What the hell?

the only sci-fi Western you ever need to see is Trigun

malestrithe:

That company's original name is the Connecticut Leather Company. It still makes leather goods to this day. When it created its gaming system, it rebranded itself as Coleco.

That's where Coleco came from? Mind=BLOWN.

TLS14:
I got to "New Texas" before I just fell out of my chair laughing. What the hell?

As a resident of Old Texas, that's what did me in too :)

not so fast bob. knowing your semi-liberaliasm and such i can guess you've never been to texas. as a native of that state i will have you know that the local stations really liked this show until the early 90s, when newer audiences (including myself) fell in love with other newer stuff (animaniacs, histeria, tiny toons, freakaziod, videogame based stuff). However it still had regular runs when i was a kid watching TV, and i kinda liked it.

However if you really want western combined with sci-fi just go watch firefly, cowboy bebop, or outlaw star.

He may have been a future cowboy but was he truly a Space Cowboy?

Urh:

CORPORATE AQUISITIONS
ARE

Because they're worth it?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=06l-oiT2Vvw

Can we all just agree that the 80's were a weird but awesome time?

The Centurions was awesome!

"Equesteroid"? I bet a really long hard brainstorming meeting went into that one.

Wait, wait, wait.... back up.

Filmation was bought by L'oreal? Isn't that a beauty product line?

EDIT: Apparently I got distracted and the last 20 posts popped up while I was typing that.

unacomn:
The Centurions was awesome!

amen to that. there is so a movie in that cartoon somewhere that needs to be made. but for now I will settle on a Big Picture about them!

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here