Zero Punctuation: Risen 2: Dark Waters

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

lovely! nothing like a little post-show joke to brighten up my day.

The ending bit was good. And really, who does like Barney?

The Half Life bit was fucking epic.

loved the extra something at the end

Dude! Right in the degree :(

Tharwen:

Terramax:
Great ending Yahtzee. Some game developer really does need to hire you as a writer/ voice actor for their games.

Did you read the thing about him being considered as a writer for Duke Nukem Forever?

Nope. Sounds like a good idea though.

Never thought I'd see a dig at DMU on Zero Punctuation, simply glorious.

I've played the Risen 1 demo, shame it doesn't seem like they solved any of the problems that game had in the new one. Makes me wonder what they spent all the time on.

Am I the only one who was reminded of MGS crab battle?

Am I the only one waiting for the Binary Domain review?

Terramax:

Tharwen:

Terramax:
Great ending Yahtzee. Some game developer really does need to hire you as a writer/ voice actor for their games.

Did you read the thing about him being considered as a writer for Duke Nukem Forever?

Nope. Sounds like a good idea though.

WELL NOW YOU CAN

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/extra-punctuation/9002-Yahtzee-Could-Have-Written-Duke-Nukem-Forever

Am I the only one who enjoyed the game? I found the training system very fitting for the theme since it made you go out and explore the world and seek treasure in order to train, it is a pirate game after all; and the gothic series is known for its open world. Really it has the same problems as the rest of the series, basically, if you don't like the Gothic/Risen games you most likely wont like this one and hard combat is almost one of their features.
As for the dodge I didn't care much since I got rifle training and everything got easier.

Spray on all-powerful-god-like-entity repellent sounds very usefull. I should probably go aquire some.

Dr. Bolt at Applied Chaos Theory, hm? Would that be Dr. Cutter Maximillian Bolt?

Who else wants an HL1 Mod where all the trams have DJ Yahtzee playing?

WhichDoctor:
I've played the Risen 1 demo, shame it doesn't seem like they solved any of the problems that game had in the new one. Makes me wonder what they spent all the time on.

Maybe because what you call "problems", the piranha bites fanbase either doesn't care about or is a feature for them. Like making the game not too easy.
But i will say that Risen 2 is worse than Risen 1. They just copied the fighting system in many ways and fucked the combat system up big time by removing shields as a defense against animals.

Holy shit, I never thought I'd see the day. Someone made the Half-Life intro not suck massive donkey dicks. Bravo, Yahtzee, bravo.

DVS BSTrD:
HO-LLY-SHIT! Did I just witness the return of 'Intro Sequence Theatre'?
I think we might just be...

puts on sunglasses

...At World's End!

Wait... YOU'RE SAYING THERE'S MORE LIKE THIS?! :O TO THE INTERNET!

The Half-Life bit was great. I wish this was a sign that Black Mesa Source is finally ready.

The uncensored dildoes are getting more realistic.

Just sayin'. It's a rather alarming shift in tone.

Amaror:
or is a feature for them. Like making the game not too easy.

See, but none of the problems I had with Risen 1 were related to difficulty.

For example, if you're not using swords, the game beats you over the head with how you should have used swords. Most rare items you find are swords...

There are 3 sword types in the game (long, bastard, and two-handed, iirc, maybe there were only 2), but only one type of everything else.

Getting the ability to prospect is a difficult thing since there is only one person who trains it, but then the only thing you can do with the ore is smith it.

And you can only smith it into swords...

While we're on smithing... I hated how you had to wait until the local blacksmith was done with the forge/anvil/whetstone/etc to use it, but then he inevitably moved to the next one you needed, meaning you had to wait some more.

Then the UI was arduous, the Quest tracker, asinine, and the map was well nigh on useless.

I also really don't like the skill system. I know it's a carry-over from Gothic, but, as Yahtzee said, it makes it feel like everyone else is more capable than you, which doesn't bode well when you're the intrepid hero. The fact that there will always be someone else who is at least as good as you makes you wonder why you can't get more help taking down the Personification of Evil d'jour.

IDK, I enjoyed the first game for a while, but after a time the frustrations outweighed the charm and I shelved it and any interest I had in the second.

p.s. oh, and there is the fact that the first game was wildly misogynistic, but that's a different topic altogether.

That Half Life bit and the end was funny. I think you want to do another Unskippable ep like from a few years back.

I missed the end of video silly bits, I think Yahtzee might be in a good mood again :D
In fact I laughed more during the after credits bit oddly enough, ZP is still great don't get me wrong but ect ect explanation.

Panayjon:
Review was great and all, but don't care. Half-Life radio jockey overshadowed it. More please.

Goddamn ninjas...

Yes, pirates are indeed awesome. We need more pirate games! Also, the game's subtitle reminds me of the old cartoon series, The Pirates of Dark Water.

Also, loved the little skit at the end.

to bad u rip a game because u dont understand how the controlls work i guess having ppl figure shit out themselves and not spoon feed them every thing like they where retarded chipmunks isnt an option.

ischmalud:
to bad u rip a game because u dont understand how the controlls work i guess having ppl figure shit out themselves and not spoon feed them every thing like they where retarded chipmunks isnt an option.

Heh. I'd direct you to videos where Yahtzee rips on exactly that kind of spoon-fed game design, but... meh. Can't bring myself to care enough, to be honest.

However, I do feel an ass for not realizing that the Space Janitors Episode 3 seems to be playing at the end end of every ZP video I've seen today, not just the two Force Unleashed ones. >.>

***This is Spam, and has been reported.***

Mamzelle_Kat:
Absolutely loved the Half Life bit at the end, especially the part where he goes: "To whomever is putting bowties on the test subjects, please stop doing that. Humanizing them makes the dissection... difficult."

Brilliant.

Oh yeah, nice review!

Not dissection, vivisection. At a dissected subject at least has the pleasure of being dead at the time....

Terramax:

Agree. I'd love to see the Black Mesa Radio Show appear in Half-Life 3 when it inevitably comes out in 3013.

templar1138a:
It's too bad the mechanics sound so bad. There do need to be more RPGs that aren't in a medieval setting (elves and dwarves are just fine in the Industrial Revolution, for example).

They did make that game, it was called Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magick Obscura and it was great. You can get it from GOG.

Qitz:
Pirate on shoulder stat? Awesome. Also, the Half Life part, freaking hilarious.

Should show Yahtzee Revelations 2012, that should get a great blast of vile from him because that game is utter shit.

This was an excellent review, and it sounds like this game is so bad, it might just be awesome!

Also, finally an extra again!

PRetty awesome all around!

i never really liked pirates as a game and i dont know what was that thing after credits but it was funny/good

By the way, you can dodge by double-tapping the arrow keys. (Edit: I hear this may have been appended in a patch. Still...)

No, they don't tell you. Yes, it's useful. Guardians, especially, are much less of a potion-drop once you discover it.

Also, to kick you have to be holding right-mouse. No, they don't tell you that either.

Also, for one example of 'Nuff Said, what's-his-face on Treasure Isle (the deserter) can be shot point-blank.

There's about six of them, all told. Not terribly useful, but there you go.

misterprickly:
Can't play this game... It's rated Arrrre!

Rofl. You just had to, didn't you. XD

never cared for the game anyway. even angry joe was pretty pissed about it.

the ending was just hilarious. the barney scene just cracked me up. "we know you are there, its just we dont like you". im still laughing wile writing this.

...That was one of the best things I've ever seen in my life. Freeman's Mind is cool and all, but DJ Yahtzee needs to be a thing.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here