1) If there's no levelling, how does one get to upgrade their abilities? Through some bullshit "points unlocked through achievements" system?
2) Doesn't this "swap abilities on the fly" aspect ruin any immersion one might have with the game's setting. "This monster is resistant to my magic! ...Eh." *ceases to be a mage; instantly transforms into acrobatic shotgunner*
3) Doesn't that more or less ruin the social aspect to MMOs? If everyone has the same abilities (which they can switch on the fly), why does one even need to join a group? "I don't need a tank, I don't need a healer, I don't need DPS... I'm going to solo EVERYTHING! ...why am I playing an online subscription again?"
4) Doesn't that also ruin any sense of uniqueness one might have when they DO form groups? Beyond a character's look and "tactics", how are they to feel "distinct" in their own little circle? By how they behave socially? "Mikey's being a jerk again." "Urgh, fine. Boot him; I'll swap in my tanking build."
1) By leveling. You grind quests from quest hubs (like wow) and gain XP (like wow) to unlock your abilities (like wow), BUT you don't gain levels, instead you gain ability and skill points. So... you do level, there is just not a number assigned to said level :D
2) Kinda... but only if you have the gear to pull out your new ability build.
3) No idea... there wasn't any group content last open beta. However, being a guy that likes to switch builds i do fancy this sytem.
4) So you rather play with a jerk?
This mmo is amazingly standard, copy paste of the run out of the mill 2000-2009 mechanics, but differenciates in:
- The setting (whitewolf based rol FTW!)
- The skill build system, that is more based off stuff like Guild Wars 1 than WoW.
Good stuff, i bought it, and would have played it if i had more time or if it was released in 2004-2006.
Wow... this looks awesome! Normally, I'm not one for MMORPGS, on the grounds that you're not the only one doing everything (sorry, I don't know how to describe it accurately) but this? I think I should give this one a shot...
This it does very well. Unlike WoW, ToR or even GW 2 to some extent where you are "the chosen one saving the galaxy" sides the thousand other ones running around your screen doing the same thing, here the game says to you "you are just one in an army", wich fits more a mmo imo.
However, if you have been in the MMO scene for a long time this one will burn you out fast almost for sure.
Probably not possible, because there are probably times when you need certain roles being filled simultaneously, which one player cannot do.
Also, it probably takes a while to gain every single ability and therefore have access to every possible build. Some players might not be able to fill certain roles if they haven't been playing for long enough.
And finally, the loot element is there as well. If I have a rare and powerful assault rifle, then I will likely focus on a ranged attack role. Sure I'm more flexible if I have unlocked all the melee abilities as well, but I'm probably going to gravitate towards ranged. It means, also, that if I find an awesome hammer later down the track, it's not useless to me.
I actually think this model isn't too bad.
Well, i do assume there is a max ammount of abilities and skills you can gain (max level toon if we speak plainly). Even if it's not, you are restricted to 2 weaps to switch on the fly, and weaps matter a lot on how you play, for what i remember:
- Swords - tank
- Hammers - melee DPS
- Claws - melee with good regen
- Wierd ass shields - melee caster
- Shotguns - near melee DPS
- Rifles - ranged DPS
there are also elementalist caster, healer caster but dont remember the items, and pistols that do "trick based mid range DPS" whatever that means. TBH it feels like what WoW would be if every toon had acess to every class tree at the same time, but limited skill points to use and you restricted the classes to priest, warrior and hunter.
As for the model... well mate, it follows the standard mob tagging system but the mobs don't show being tagged when someone other than you does it wich is both boring and frustraiting; and also everyone rolling on everything because they need it? I dunno, mark me exceptic.