GinxTV: Top 5 Architectural Marvels

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Top 5 Architectural Marvels

Forget Paris or New York, these fantastic game locales are far more interesting to visit.

Watch Video

Another entertaining video though I'd say some of the buildings in London would rival Rapture.

Do your homework guys:

That's not Bevelle. That's Zanarkand. If you ever played Final Fantasy X for 30 minutes you'd know that.

Unprofessional.

foxtrot3100:
Do your homework guys:

That's not Bevelle. That's Zanarkand. If you ever played Final Fantasy X for 30 minutes you'd know that.

Unprofessional.

this

I am not sure i agree with this video. Most of their choices are just static backgrounds, very well made ones indeed, but I would call the city of humble games like Shemune or GTA III an architectural wonder than the nice looking background of my corridor designed game.

For a videogame city to amaze me it must be done in polygons which i can explore and/or interact with, not just some nice looking postcard on the horizon.

Hrmph. Was hoping Assassins Creed 2 would mention the Italian settings. So gorgeous.

Zydrate:
Hrmph. Was hoping Assassins Creed 2 would mention the Italian settings. So gorgeous.

brotherhoods rome was a better example from that series. Just because of how complete it felt.

HeroKing89:

foxtrot3100:
Do your homework guys:

Unprofessional.

this

Exactly. Do your research before you open your mouths...this is not the first time you are guilty of this =.=

No Florence from AC2?

I am disappoint.

bahumat42:

Zydrate:

brotherhoods rome was a better example from that series. Just because of how complete it felt.

Brotherhood's Rome was amazingly accurate as well. I've been to Rome and could instantly find my way around. :D

I must say this list was a bit meh. Sure, you have to make a choice somewhere, but this seemed uninspired (the Zanarkand thing, c'mon). What about Anor Londo, or the space station in Vanquish, or Aperture Laboratories? What about those amazing palaces in the Prince of Persia series? None of the locations mentioned in the vid were memorable to me. Mass Effect? Yeah sure, but Ilium isn't remotely the best example.

Come on. As if anywhere other than Rapture could have been number one? It's a city under the sea!

Also, I am fortunate to live in Barcelona, and the local architecture is continuously awe-inspiring. There is nothing boring about it.

Man I miss Lisa Foiles for these.

I usually don't like to knitpick on these lists but no Shadow of the Colossus?

And as far as Colossus' go there's a new #1 in scenery: Xenoblade. The game world is set on two absolutely massive Colossi, one with a bio theme and the other mech, locked together for millennium by mutual death blows. The opening area is pretty enough, but when you first step out onto the Bionis' knee and can see the mechonis off in the distant is awesome:

And it only gets better from there! It only came out in North America this year so maybe it's overlooked but Xenoblade should definately be #1 here.

bahumat42:

Zydrate:

I was too lazy to type "Assassin's Creed 2+Brotherhood+Revelations (Rev I haven't played yet)"
But yea, AC2 in general is what I meant.

No Prince of Persia games?

It's a decent vid, and like all good top 5s or whatever, it will inevitably leave viewers going "but what about this? That should have won!" Then again, I agree that Rapture should win. Hands down the most beautiful and impressive, inside and out.

No. Wrong. Glaring omission of Aperture labs from Portal 2 in architectural wonders? Nothing in the near life-realistic Assassin's Creed 2 or Brotherhood games? Massive misstep.

most of their picks are paintings on a wall not architecture that you can interact with.
and they weren't even the best paintings.

Zydrate:

bahumat42:

Zydrate:

I was too lazy to type "Assassin's Creed 2+Brotherhood+Revelations (Rev I haven't played yet)"
But yea, AC2 in general is what I meant.

revelations was lacklustre in that regard, fortunately 3 has tree jumping to look forward to.

Whilst I'm not a huge fan of the actual game I do have to agree that Bulletstrom's vistas were impressive. Same with ME2.

If the game is immersive I'm really one to look around and get mesmerised by the scenery.

Once again good, but it's no Lisa Foiles.

The idea of arguing over a silly list compiled on some website somewhere for entertainment purposes is silly, but you really could have gone for more actual environments for your list instead of inaccessible background photos... I'm sure there would be plenty of material.

Rapture is the only defensible choice here. The others are simply vistas. And getting around Ilium in ME2 was downright frustrating. Horrible, horrible list.

Shadow of the Colossus and/or Ico. One of the AC2 games. San Andreas or Liberty City. The Kingdom of Boletaria (Demon's Souls).

That's just off the top of my head.

I knew these were all going to be picked from newer AAA, multi-platform games. How else are you going to appeal to the lowest common denominator? I continue to be unimpressed with the Ginx offerings.

F'Angus:

This, bring back Ms. Foiles! Well, by this I mean the bring back Lisa part, definitely not the "good" part.

For all the flak it is getting, I strongly stand behind the choice of Illium. The design is definitely top-notch and very reminiscent of Blade Runner.

Closet Superhero:
Rapture is the only defensible choice here. The others are simply vistas. And getting around Ilium in ME2 was downright frustrating. Horrible, horrible list.

Shadow of the Colossus and/or Ico. One of the AC2 games. San Andreas or Liberty City. The Kingdom of Boletaria (Demon's Souls).

That's just off the top of my head.

Exactly, painted skyboxes are not impressive, because you can't go there, you can't explore the inside of that gorgeous architecture. Illium, for example, is just an ugly mess of corridors. And talking of pretty skyboxes, Deus Ex's Hengsha is much prettier than Illium and it actually manages to make you think about a social problem and a possible, if inhumane, solution to it. Architecture doesn't equal pretty. That's why Bioshock deserves the first place.

DonTsetsi:
Exactly, painted skyboxes are not impressive, because you can't go there, you can't explore the inside of that gorgeous architecture. Illium, for example, is just an ugly mess of corridors. And talking of pretty skyboxes, Deus Ex's Hengsha is much prettier than Illium and it actually manages to make you think about a social problem and a possible, if inhumane, solution to it. Architecture doesn't equal pretty. That's why Bioshock deserves the first place.

As I understand it, this Top 5 is made solely on design merits, not how a fun an environment is to explore. Also, if you play the Shadow Broker DLC, you get to see a bit more of Illium.

Anal Londo deserves to be on the list.
So sexy.
So many HAVELS ARMOUR/HAVELS RING/ZAPHANDER/DARK WOOD GRAIN RING though.
FLIP FLIP FLIP FLIP FLIP FLIP ZAP

HeroKing89:

foxtrot3100:
Do your homework guys:

Unprofessional.

this

indeed.

Zydrate:

I feel that wouldn't have worked, because the list was much more about original imaginative designs, and whilst Assassins Creed looks fantastic, it looks fantastic because Italy looks fantastic.

Bulletstorm was an interesting choice, I'm not so sure I agree with Zanarkand, although it does look pretty amazing.

Really though, there was no way Bioshock couldn't be #1 and Uncharted #2

GundamSentinel:

bahumat42:

Zydrate:

Brotherhood's Rome was amazingly accurate as well. I've been to Rome and could instantly find my way around. :D

I must say this list was a bit meh. Sure, you have to make a choice somewhere, but this seemed uninspired (the Zanarkand thing, c'mon). What about Anor Londo, or the space station in Vanquish, or Aperture Laboratories? What about those amazing palaces in the Prince of Persia series? None of the locations mentioned in the vid were memorable to me. Mass Effect? Yeah sure, but Ilium isn't remotely the best example.

Agreeing with all of you guys, the detail put into recreating Rome and Florence in AC is jaw dropping and if you're going Mass Effect no Palaven (or it's moon), no Tuchanka?

Don Reba:

As I understand it, this Top 5 is made solely on design merits, not how a fun an environment is to explore. Also, if you play the Shadow Broker DLC, you get to see a bit more of Illium.

And architecture is about more than how pretty things look from a distance. The way buildings are interacted with is key in assessing their architectural value.

1. Not Bevelle.
2. meh
3. Bioware makes pretty places
4. Ok, I might try Uncharted now
5. Rapture is ok, but not the best ever, and certainly not the best on the list

captcha "tear us apart"
tommy wiseau is in the computer!

HeroKing89:

foxtrot3100:
Do your homework guys:

Unprofessional.

this

why is everyone saying it's not Bevelle ?
it is bevelle!
if you're gooing to correct someone, at least make sure you're right
(the city at the end is zanarkand, but the other one is bevelle)

Mygaffer:
I knew these were all going to be picked from newer AAA, multi-platform games. How else are you going to appeal to the lowest common denominator? I continue to be unimpressed with the Ginx offerings.

F'Angus:

This, bring back Ms. Foiles! Well, by this I mean the bring back Lisa part, definitely not the "good" part.

It would be nice to have her back, but its probably not gonna happen. On one episode of media sandwich she explains why she left. Basically, its because shes just too busy to do it. She has a lot of acting work that gets in the way

Most of this stuff is really just opinions so you can't really complain about top x list. Yeah its probably missing some amazing vistas from other games that aren't AAA.

But I do have to disagree with one thing, Citadel > Illium. This is only true if you look at the Citadel from a ME2 standpoint but the architecture and beauty of the Citadel can only really be admired in ME1. You want to see a beautiful site, stand on the docking bay in ME1 and look out onto a night-casted Citadel with a looming nebula and the various arms each alight with its own traffic. Yeah that is greater than Illium.

stef1987:

HeroKing89:

foxtrot3100:
Do your homework guys:

Unprofessional.

this

why is everyone saying it's not Bevelle ?
it is bevelle!
if you're gooing to correct someone, at least make sure you're right
(the city at the end is zanarkand, but the other one is bevelle)

They re-uploaded the video. It originally had clips of Zanarkand, but they fixed it to what it is now

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here