Unskippable: Syndicate

Syndicate

Who exactly wouldn't want a chip in their head? I guess that it is the next step after smart phones.

Watch Video

Do we all work for Brian Cox in the future?

Graham_LRR:
Who exactly wouldn't want a chip in their head? I guess that it is the next step after smart phones.

Question: would that make us smarter or our phones dumber?

The chosen few? So I'm Jewish?
not racist

Just a tip guys, but you might want to watch your audio levels. For the past several episodes of Unskippable I've found it difficult to hear you in certain places. Just a heads up.

DVS BSTrD:

LOLOLOL

but what kind of name is Kilo? And Marik is a nice name as well but I always think of the yugioh character marik ishtar

Data had to feed his cat? Screw Spot! He attacked Riker!

Graham_LRR:
Syndicate

Watch Video

So the other agent guy ends up being bad right?

Soviet Heavy:
Data had to feed his cat? Screw Spot! He attacked Riker!

Spot launched preemptive strike! He'd received reliable intelligence the Riker was hunting for pussy.

Graham_LRR:
Who exactly wouldn't want a chip in their head?

*Raises hand*

I don't know where to begin on all the things that could go absolutely, horribly wrong with that. With all the problems we have with computers as it is, I have no idea why anyone would want to trust that technology to go inside their brain.

Maybe I'm alone here, but I sure as heck would undergo dangerous brain surgery for a shot with Rosario Dawson.

Did you mean: "take care" of him.
or: take care "of" him.

MatParker116:

I'd be OK with that, depending on what he'd have me do.

Unskippable: unfleeable, unhoppable, unleapable, unskimmable, unskootable.

Also, I would like a thesaurus chip in my head, please.

Space Jawa:

Graham_LRR:

*Raises hand*

I don't know where to begin on all the things that could go absolutely, horribly wrong with that. With all the problems we have with computers as it is, I have no idea why anyone would want to trust that technology to go inside their brain.

You don't appreciate radiation right upside your brain?

How about the issue of leaving computer components in brain juice?

This sounds like a solid plan to me!

theultimateend:

You make radiation sound like a bad thing. Mmm, brain juice. Sign me right up!

Suicide Ability Activate!

... and that was the 11th time I died...

Mikeyfell:

Neither, they just want you to take care of "him"

It's not the dark dystopian future unless there's a tall, broad-shouldered man with short styled hair speaking in a gravely voice.

DVS BSTrD:
not racist

Veyr good. I laughed.

The line, "Thanks, Thesaurus Man", got me real good. I hope to be able to use that one myself at some point.

Yes, very good. Had more than a few laughs, and passing it along.

ForgottenPr0digy:

but what kind of name is Kilo? And Marik is a nice name as well but I always think of the yugioh character marik ishtar

Glad I'm not the only one.

So eating gravel for lunch, huh? That explains so many things in every game ever.

Thesaurus Man? Wasn't he in Arkham City?

Graham_LRR:
Syndicate

Watch Video

i'll take a crynet mask over a dart 6 any day, you get secondary benefits such as under water breathing, night vision and a supercomputer powered ai to do your bidding as-well as looking damn snappy and mildly intimidating

i believe an engineer from the mit actually fused a usb port into his nervous system to record data once, dunno how that's coming along but i think that would be preferable to brain surgery

Having gravel for lunch isn't that bad.

But seriously, Rosario Dawson? Wasn't expecting that.

Stormtyrant:

Mikeyfell:

Neither, they just want you to take care of "him"

I didn't understand what the boss meant, next thing I know, he's gonna take care of me
OT: Is it just me or do some of those company symbols look like... Abstergo???

So wait, did they strap him into some kind of Animus 1.5? It seems to be a blend of the 2.0's seating shape and the original's design aesthetic and HUD...

Aptspire:

OT: Is it just me or do some of those company symbols look like... Abstergo???

Shhhh....They're working very hard to keep that hidden, don't you know? Can't have a white hoodie walking in and mucking up the whole show, now could we?

OT: Heh, the whole "Mr. Thesaurus" bit was pretty good, as were the "Gravel for Lunch" jokes.

You know, personally, I do sort of like the whole corperate dystopia future setting, but it is getting a bit bland nowadays. Nothing against Syndicate, I just feel like it's all seeming a bit too familiar. Maybe, to shake things up a bit, we should make a setting like that where every corperation is run by a different Bond villain, each complete with their own motif and all. That would be much more fun....

theultimateend:

Space Jawa:

Graham_LRR:

*Raises hand*

TLDR version: I wouldn't worry too much about it, it's a long ways off (if it even happens at all).

The major problem is just that we don't understand the brain's software. The predominant theory is that it is a parallel processing network, but that is more a type of hardware than software, and some still argue that the brain can (and does) run the same kind of binary based languages as computers.

All we can do right now is associate certain parts of the brain with certain activities. For instance, thinking "Right" and "Left" light up different portions of the brain, so they've programmed wheelchairs to turn when people think those words. The problem is that you have to keep thinking them. It takes a lot of concentration.

For there to be a REAL neural interface, you'd have to make it so the device interconnects with neural modules so that they can actually share computational inputs and outputs, which would require a complete understanding of the brain's software. And on top of that, the brain's hardware and software mutually condition each other: "the neurons that fire together, wire together" is a popular saying in neuroscience.

This means that the "hardware" (i.e. the weight distributions of the neurons in a cognitive module), and thus the software as well, is almost certainly different for every person. Certain areas of the brain are set aside for certain activities likely because they are connected to predominant inputs and outputs (sources of information) that are genetically determined (i.e. the optical nerves are genetically predetermined to connect with and give their information to the occipital lobe). But the actual way the modules process these inputs is a result of the way the neurons adjust their weights until they convert the determined inputs into the appropriate outputs.

The human brain is the most complex thing in existence, and there simply aren't enough genes to predetermine its software.

What does this mean? Well, it probably means that the brain has no common computing language. And if the brain doesn't have a common computing language then it becomes very difficult for us to get information from it. In essence, any neural implant would probably have to act much like neurons themselves in order to interact with our brains, and this would make it fairly difficult to encode information in these systems.

In essence, the implants would probably have to learn just like us, so they probably wouldn't be very convenient or useful.

i know people probably told you that a hundred times
but you sound JUST like bruce banner in the avengers!

THe future is all lens flare, can't see cause of the shine

ahhh my eyes, my beautiful eyes!

MatParker116:

Yes, and it shall be a glorious Dundonian-led civilization =D

We shall have the Dundee Dream Team of Brian Cox, Liz McColgan, George Galloway and Danny Wallace. We could also rope in the likes of Snow Patrol, Brian Molko (Placebo) and Lorraine Kelly, as even though they weren't born in Dundee, they have some connection to it.

mlsterben:
Maybe I'm alone here, but I sure as heck would undergo dangerous brain surgery for a shot with Rosario Dawson.

Totally worth it. if she was personally offering such a proposition, my asnwer is "Tie me down, knock me out, and carve me up!"

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here