Escapist Podcast: 045: Activision and First Games

045: Activision and First Games

This week we talk about Activision's "Operation Icebreaker", the first game we ever bought with our own hard earned cash, and what we're playing right now.

Watch Video

Operation Firestorm is a map in BF3 and referencing it when talking about Activations being evil is just WIN. I also liked the OTR stuff, though I prefer Lone Ranger, I Was A Communist for the FBI, Richard Diamond, Dragnet, and Tales of the Texas Rangers more than the Great Gildersleeve

Edit: BTW Richard Hammond is short and very much into entertainment

Psst. The traditional way to count is for forty five to come after forty four. ;)

Love the podcat regardless of its numbering, though.

Caffiene:
Psst. The traditional way to count is for forty five to come after forty four. ;)

Pfffft, sure. If you want to be, you know, ordinary.

On the topic of the first game you bought, well I grew up with a lot of piracy too here in México, so technically the first game I ever bought was a CD full of Emulators and ROMs that I got from my computing teacher for around 1USD, BUT the first games I ever bought were Jedi Knight II and Age of Empires 1 Gold Edition, which I got 1 time that I went to the US and saw them in a bargain bin for around 5$ each, I still have Age of Empires and I still play it sometimes, sadly JKII burned in a fire inside my old PC back in January of last year, I miss that old CD, with it's broken diamond cage, but oh well it's gone now.

Uh Paul Much Music is still Much Music.
Also it looks like you took Mike's job

EDIT: Did no one watch Epic Movie. I may suck but it did have Crispin Glover as a Wonka that uses children for his candy

Parshooter:
Uh Paul Much Music is still Much Music.
Also it looks like you took Mike's job

EDIT: Did no one watch Epic Movie. I may suck but it did have Crispin Glover as a Wonka that uses children for his candy

He finally gave it back, which is somewhat of a bummer. I was looking forward to a few days off.

I still cant figure out the first game I bought... I think the first proper boxed game would have been Quake, or maybe MechWarrior 2.

But I think before that I bought shareware games. I remember Id save up my 50 cents of pocket money or whatever, and Id get my dad to take me down to the sunday-morning swap markets and you could find stalls of guys who just had big stacks of shareware games. And Id hand over my hard-earned $2 and get Commander Keen, or Doom, or whatever on a pile of floppy disks that just barely fit in my little hands.

Susan Arendt:

Caffiene:

Pfffft, sure. If you want to be, you know, ordinary.

And as we all know, The Escapist escapes normality! let the pun wars commence...

OT: Great podcast as usual guys! You guys may babble on, but it's interesting babble.

A question for the 4X fans of the crew: have you guys heard of Endless Space? It's a la Masters of Orion 2, with some very neat mechanics, like combat is a mostly passive affair, but there's a really frantic and fast paced rock-paper-scissors-lizard-spock game on top of the usual numbers show down that can radically alter the course of a battle based on the cards you and your opponent play. But what really makes the game interesting, for me at least, is what the devs are doing with it, as it's still in the Alpha build. First of all, they have essentially given people who bought the alpha limited creative input by allowing them to vote on certain things to be implemented (like which ship model to use, the backstory and stats of a hero, etc.). The second thing they've done is they have a page on the game's site the shows exactly where they are on the project.

Also: Operation Pocket Monkey

Pokemon Red
Fun times

I remember my first game. Super Mario Bros. and Duck Hunt. Wooooooooooo! The 80's!

You should call these podcasts "The Susan Arendt Show", because she rocks in each one. Not saying the rest of you guys are not ok, but it is her stage.

My first game & system was the Nintendo with R.O.B. and Gyromite & Super Mario Bros. I used all the money I got from my Bar Mitzvah.

I think this makes me REALLY old.

flaviok79:
You should call these podcasts "The Susan Arendt Show", because she rocks in each one. Not saying the rest of you guys are not ok, but it is her stage.

I agree, she makes the conversation so much fun every single week.

Greg

I think the first game I bought was Super Street Fighter 2: The New Challengers for the SNES, or maybe it was just that weird little mail-order fighter pad controller they advertised in the instruction book.

Operation Rolling Chunder
Operation Badger With A Gun
The Chidazzle Initiative
Operation Who's-A-Kitty
Operation Wandering Armadillidiidae (it's a real word)
The Calliope Sanction

Operation Thor's Bagel is a go.

Also, speaking as an accountant. We don't wear ties anymore.

Saw Sir Anthony Hopkins in person once, TINY man. Also, Bob Hoskins, Ben Kingsley and Ian Holm. Not EVERY British actor is a giant, only most of them.

I love that when you guys referenced "Willy Wonka", you spoke of the 70s version, and not Tim Burton's most recent iteration.
The first game I bought with my own allowance, I think, was Zork Nemesis. I loooooooved that game, it had so many elements I enjoyed: a compelling story, complicated characters, a gorgeous score, challenging puzzles. And the manual was wonderful (back in the days when we had manuals): it was more a journal of a man's journey into the Forbidden Lands and to the Alchemists's abandoned domains, it completely served to enrich the world.
The first CD I bought... Less glamorous, it was Aces of Base's The Sign. Move along, nothing to see here. ^_^

Even though I missed Steve and Justin, it was nice to have Paul back and to meet Mike!
"My experience was a PC exclusive!" Great save!! ^_^

Greg Tito:

flaviok79:

I agree, she makes the conversation so much fun every single week.

Greg

It'd be a monologue if I didn't have cool people there with me. It's all about the group chemistry. :)

First game I ever bought with my own money was Secret of Evermore for the SNES. And it was really expensive.
Not as good as Secret of Mana which I played before I had SoE but still awesome (well I still have both games and my SNES). Loved the alchemy stuff.

Pokemon Blue
That games was unreal.

Scyla:
First game I ever bought with my own money was Secret of Evermore for the SNES. And it was really expensive.
Not as good as Secret of Mana which I played before I had SoE but still awesome (well I still have both games and my SNES). Loved the alchemy stuff.

I always wanted to play Secret of Mana, but the price never dropped. Was always a pricey game.

Susan Arendt:

Scyla:

I always wanted to play Secret of Mana, but the price never dropped. Was always a pricey game.

Especially in Germany, were the few RPGs that were released all came with their very own game guides because the publisher thought, that those games were to difficult to grasp for the "western" audience. But the were shipped in those beautiful big boxes. Pricey but awesome :D .

Blizzard, Y U NO Rent temporary log in servers for opening few days?!?!?!?!?!?!

What was the first game I bought...? Hmm, I never really thought about it. It's a really hard question, in fact.

Most of my NES and SNES games were bought by my parents who would assume I'd like said game they bought (Mario, the Flintstones, Looney Tunes, Mega Man, etc). The only money I ever considered "mine" came from distant relatives as holiday gifts and I wasn't even allowed to spend it on "toys" (Videogames fell under the Toys category).

I guess the first game I was allowed to buy with said money was Pokemon Yellow along with a Game Boy Color, shortly followed by Pokemon Gold.

And now, I am buying games faster than the time it takes me to finish them. Seriously, I have like 5 to 10 games I haven't even started! I have a problem...
I also blame my job...

These are the pics I sent in, in case anyone was wondering.
http://photos.travellerspoint.com/135626/DSC01586.jpg
http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lf0yifNqdF1qayfxfo1_500.jpg

First game I ever bought is hard to track down. My dad bought me and my brother a PS2 for Christmas when I was 8 and we began spending all our money on games for it. Must have spent quite a lot of money, seeing as I ended up with about 30 games. I'm pretty sure the first I ever bought was a game called Road Trip Adventure, an adventure/racing game set in a hauntingly underpopulated free-roam world. Everyone is a talking, faceless car with awful dialogue and you can attach wings, skis e.t.c. to yourself to traverse oceans and glide down from mountains. Driving into the sea to explore sunken ghost-ships and competing in a grand-prix presidential election add to the surrealism.

First album I ever bought was AC/DC - High Voltage. Still listen to it. It rocks.

I suffer from a terrible affliction called an older brother, so for the longest time whenever "we" pooled our money to buy a game it was something he had his eye on. Consequently it was a while before I actually bought a game on my own with my own money.

The first game I bought with my own money was Perfect Dark, I remember playing it at a friend's house and spur of the moment deciding "I will own this game." Great game, still wonder why Perfect Dark never got off the ground as a franchise.

I disagree with the "people will be pissed but buy it anyway" sentiment. If I feel like a company is jerking me around, I won't support them.

Im surprised Im the first to say this but Liam Neeson is Irish not British

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here