Diablo 3 Review

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Diablo 3 Review

Diablo 3 is a classic Blizzard sequel. The core gameplay has been iterated on and sharpened to a fine edge, while it ultimately feels a little light on major, impactful changes.

Read Full Article

I wish they'd done something to reinvent the inventory system.

Swapping out 8 point pair of pants for an 8.6 pair every five minutes gets old quickly. So does constantly stopping to drop items in order to pick up other items.

Zhukov:

Swapping out 8 point pair of pants for an 8.6 pair every five minutes gets old quickly. So does constantly stopping to drop items in order to pick up other items.

Don't know if its different for other difficulties, but there is literally no reason to pick up non blue items as each of the normal things only sell for 2-5 gold that I have noticed. Everything else you can find/craft if your blacksmith is leveled high enough.

This is one of the first Diablo 3 reviews out there. I'm rather glad The Escapist doesn't give a numberical score and simply tells it like it is. Good, but not amazing. It's Diablo 3 with no revolutionary changes.

Waiting for Torchlight 2.

As expected. No matter where you stand on the 'always online' crap or the graphics, you know that this will be a game which will make your mouse buttons cry.

The game is definitely good, but sadly lacks anything else than attack, kill, and loot. Not a bad thing to say in the least mind you, but I just wish there was just something more.

EcksTeaSea:

Don't know if its different for other difficulties, but there is literally no reason to pick up non blue items as each of the normal things only sell for 2-5 gold that I have noticed. Everything else you can find/craft if your blacksmith is leveled high enough.

I kinda found this a bit frustrating. In one way you don't have to worry about going back to town to sell as much excess, but in the same manner, the white items boil down to meaningless screen clutter that you have to go back and pick through if you end up pulling a few consecutive groups.

Absolutionis:
This is one of the first Diablo 3 reviews out there. I'm rather glad The Escapist doesn't give a numberical score and simply tells it like it is. Good, but not amazing. It's Diablo 3 with no revolutionary changes.

They rated it 4 out of 5 stars. That is a numerical score.

That being said, sounds like classic Blizzard methods. Minimal change and release. The name Blizzard handles the rest.

I won't trash Diablo 3 directly as I have yet to play it (I refuse to buy it based on past experiences with the franchise, and I do not pirate), but sounds like it is exactly what I predicted. Diablo 2 with some WoW elements implemented (both gameplay and graphically, looks like they just updated the WC3 engine).

I'm sure it will do well though, and wish Blizzard the best.

Absolutionis:

*cough*

Not buying this game because it hits all the wrong buttons for me: always on for single player, no modding(not just that it isn't mod friendly, but that modding attempts would get you banned from playing a single player game), no LAN, little to no reason beyond graphics to recommend it over its predecessor(and many reasons to do the opposite, as the review illustrates)... It is a shame because before WoW's Burning Crusade expansion I had been a huge fan of Blizzard from back in the SNES and Warcraft days. Now they can't seem to make anything I could give a shit about...

Good, but nothing new.

Isn't that pretty much exactly what Blizzard stands for?
Thanks for this review. That and the displayed ingame scenes are more than enough to convince me not to get the game. If the DRM weren't already enough, of course.
Quite frankly, this looks like Warcraft.
Honestly, I don't like the idea of "automatic stat distribution". This seems like it's overly simplistic and easy, but more importantly lacking in variability and the possibility for outlandish builds, which was an utter necessity for D2's replayability.

Absolutionis:
I'm rather glad The Escapist doesn't give a numberical score and simply tells it like it is. Good, but not amazing.

Well, technically, they are giving it a 4 out of 5 (check the second page). EDIT: Ninja'd, of course.

EDIT2:

Scars Unseen:
no modding(not just that it isn't mod friendly, but that modding attempts would get you banned from playing a single player game)

Good point, especially considering the modding scene around D2. I'd probably re-install Median before I would buy this game.

Zhukov:

Ah, but if they had done that, we would now be hearing the cries of a million angry puritans who think that any effort to get rid of the stuff in RPG's that even RPG fans admit is tedious, equates to "dumbing-down".

I wouldn't say the control are great, e.g. if you want your Wizard to use his/ her range blast you hold the shift button however to see the freeze spell you press 1 making it awkward for your right hand to press it while holding onto the shift button.
Other than that (well and a few other problems) I actually like the game despite being a newcomer to the franchise and the isometric game style.

If always on DRM wasn't a dealbreaker for me the real money AH was.

Anyway it looks good it really does, but there are more games out there and I think I'll just skip this one.

Don't fix what isn't broken seems to be working out well for Diablo 3. The only problem I have with it is the occasional lag and DC.

Ok, this is mostly intended for people who've actually played the game or people who aren't afraid of the kind of spoilers screenshots can bring:

I actually find the 4/5 stars to be kinda generous. It's a well-made game but I don't really think it did anything but continue the franchise. Rating it Outstanding is kinda overselling it.

Looking past the beastly elephant in the room (Mr. Forced Online DRM Server), this really looks like the series moved on without me. And I'm ok with that given what the game is.

I was originally sad I couldn't play, but they've ditched health potions in favor of dropped health orbs? The mana is gone in favor of a built-up power meter? The graphics look just like WoW? Unique character builds are no longer possible? GEeeeez loueeez, Blizzard!

If I cared one iota about this series anymore, this would totally be me right now:

But I don't really care. So I'm more like:

There's something to be said for a sequel that works on refining gameplay, but the series already started off pretty simplistic and hasn't needed much polish. If anything Diablo needs the opposite - add some complexity and variety to the formula. Maybe expand NPC interaction or introduce a factional system. Perhaps a non-linear mainquest to match their world generation?

The last time Blizzard did something that really caught me eye was their original plan for WCIII to be an RPG/RTS hybrid. While backpeddling may have satisfied the hardcore fans it lost my interest. I'll probably pick up StarCraft II when they finally release the whole game, but I doubt I'll pick up Diablo III. I don't know, maybe they'll introduce a class later on that gets me hooked.

Well, it's Diablo 3.
They did exactly what the fans wanted.
They didn't want drastic changes or innovation.
They wanted Diablo, and they got Diablo made better than ever before.
Just like with they did with StarCraft 2.

Li Mu:
As expected. No matter where you stand on the 'always online' crap or the graphics, you know that this will be a game which will make your mouse buttons cry.

Unless the place you're standing is a place with a poor internet connection :D

Im glad to see reviews mentioning the always-online aspect. Its important for people to know that. It reminds me of the PC Port of GTA IV which also had some pretty bad technical aspects, got docked points in many reviews for it. This is no different.

And it still sounds like Diablo is still Diablo, which as a big fan of the first two, is fine with me. Maybe if they ever release a no-DRM version I might pick it up.

Im just gonna ask 1 question how is ubisoft always one drm unacceptable but diablo drm bad?
love how pc gamers love to whine about always on but when a game comes out with it they eat that shit up.

Zhukov:

EcksTeaSea:

You know, Torchlight and Torchlight 2 both get around this problem rather nicely; at certain levels Green stuff can be just as good if not better then blue stuff. Also the inventory is split into four different sections; one for items, one for consumables, one for fish and one for magic. And your pet has exactly the same inventory options as you effectively doubling your capacity.

Your pet can also run back to town for you to quickly sell items making it worthwhile to sell a whole bunch of regular stuff and helping you not have to keep dropping shit half way through a run.

I'm just curious, how long does it take to play through the game the first time on normal? Because I keep hearing it only took 6 or 7 hours to complete. Diablo 2 took at least twice that long to finish.

I wouldn't even have a problem with online only thing if the game was cheaper. They are basically charging full retail price for an online multiplayer only PC game. Unless Blizzard is going to do special in game events where you can fight unique bosses, go to special areas, and get special loot similar to Monster Hunter then I just can't see a multiplayer only game being worth 60 dollars.

On topic of the game i think at 40 and with such a bullshit microstansaction system its horrible value. The fact that items are worth real money takes any character modding right out of the equation thus making the game both sort, unmoddable, online only, multiplayer only and totally outside of your control.

Scrumpmonkey:

EcksTeaSea:

You know, Torchlight and Torchlight 2 both get around this problem rather nicely; at certain levels Green stuff can be just as good if not better then blue stuff. Also the inventory is split into four different sections; one for items, one for consumables, one for fish and one for magic. And your pet has exactly the same inventory options as you effectively doubling your capacity.

Your pet can also run back to town for you to quickly sell items making it worthwhile to sell a whole bunch of regular stuff and helping you not have to keep dropping shit half way through a run.

Diablo 3 solves it by having an instant teleport back to town and you can sell your stuff that you don't need, but its just pointless to do so because monsters drop more gold than what the items are worth and blue items are for the most part always much better with the additional stats they give. Torchlight also does a good job of taking care of inventory clutter. Can't wait for the second one to come out.

EcksTeaSea:

Diablo 3 solves it by having an instant teleport back to town and you can sell your stuff that you don't need, but its just pointless to do so because monsters drop more gold than what the items are worth and blue items are for the most part always much better with the additional stats they give. Torchlight also does a good job of taking care of inventory clutter. Can't wait for the second one to come out.

You mean like Torchlight's town portal scrolls? XD

Well i think the most important thing about the pet system is it allows you to quickly unclutter your inventory without having to go back to town and take the time to do so over and over and over again. It keeps you in the flow of the game and is just all around quicker then trawling back to town. It also means you can carry a heck of a lot more. Diablo 3 took 12 years just to be a bit bland and safe. Torchlight 2 has only taken 3 years and will cost a fraction of the price, 15. Diablo III costs 40. That 260% more. Is it 260% better? I think unlikely.

"Your pet has departed"

"Your pet has returned" :P

CD-R:
I'm just curious, how long does it take to play through the game the first time on normal? Because I keep hearing it only took 6 or 7 hours to complete. Diablo 2 took at least twice that long to finish.

it took me around 18 hours. it really depends if you are trying to follow the story and check the extra stuff. some people rush it, so doing it in that time frame is not that hard. same with D2.

i think the game is great, but there are some flaws, although minor IMO.

EcksTeaSea:

I can and will make the argument that TL2 has a better inventory. The way it's set up is more in-tune with what the genre is. I don't like having to sift through loot drops, I just wanna grab everything and continue.

Scrumpmonkey:

EcksTeaSea:

"Your pet has departed"

You mean like the first TWO diablo game's town portal scrolls? I'm having a lot of fun with D3 that's for sure. Demon Hunter all the way.

Scrumpmonkey:

Well i think the most important thing about the pet system is it allows you to quickly unclutter your inventory without having to go back to town and take the time to do so over and over and over again. It keeps you in the flow of the game and is just all around quicker then trawling back to town. It also means you can carry a heck of a lot more. Diablo 3 took 12 years just to be a bit bland and safe. Torchlight 2 has only taken 3 years and will cost a fraction of the price, 15. Diablo III costs 40. That 260% more. Is it 260% better? I think unlikely.

"Your pet has departed"

The pet shopping list is the most brilliant thing anyone has ever implemented into this genre. I can send him for health/mana pots, as well as scrolls of identify and town portal. It's amazing.

Dresos:
If always on DRM wasn't a dealbreaker for me the real money AH was.

Anyway it looks good it really does, but there are more games out there and I think I'll just skip this one.

Why would a real money auction house at all figure into playing the game? It's a totally optional part of the game. There is also an in-game gold auction house as well. No one is forced to use the real money one.

Not going to get loot crazy. Diablo I was enough for me.

CD-R:

I wouldn't even have a problem with online only thing if the game was cheaper. They are basically charging full retail price for an online multiplayer only PC game. Unless Blizzard is going to do special in game events where you can fight unique bosses, go to special areas, and get special loot similar to Monster Hunter then I just can't see a multiplayer only game being worth 60 dollars.

It's not multiplayer only. You can totally play it in solo mode, it's just always connected.

As far as how long it takes to play, I've been playing of much longer then 6-7 hours and I'm not done. Perhaps that's some sort of speed run, which doesn't sound fun.

Scrumpmonkey:

EcksTeaSea:

"Your pet has departed"

The game play of Diablo 3 doesn't feel bland or safe to me, it feels fun and interesting. I think people under estimate how difficult that sort of thing can be to achieve.

You know, I don't mind the idea of an auction house and, initially, I wasn't upset about the internet connection shit. I mean, when I played Diablo 2 I was always online and the mind boggling amount of spam you get on it, even today, from bots trying to sell you loot for real cash is more then enough justification for an AH. If we're talking about the fact that its offline right now then it wouldn't be a deal breaker on its own, the problem comes from it being hard to impossible to log in for a great deal of people.

And then there are the game destroying bugs and incompatibilities. I bought it on opening day and I still haven't played it because when I can log in everything stutters and missing polygons turn everything to Swiss cheese. My system is closer to the bottom on the minimum system requirements for the game but it's well within the parameters that they said I would be able to play it with. I'm sorry, but this is not how I expect a game running at minimum requirements to look and act. I was expecting nothing fancy but at least playable, this is completely unplayable and the fact that I'm still waiting from Blizzard's support staff about what I could do to fix it is unacceptable and makes me seriously regret paying for the game.

I can stand a shitty ending to a game. I can even accept when I buy a game and find that it's a bad experience. Sitting here, waiting for 3 days hoping I can get some good news that I can play the game I installed on my computer three days ago is unacceptable.

praus:

The game play of Diablo 3 doesn't feel bland or safe to me, it feels fun and interesting. I think people under estimate how difficult that sort of thing can be to achieve.

Think you could use some explanation there my friend. Pretty much that conversation is going "I have an opinion!" "I have one too!"

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here