Unskippable: Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning

Worst place to wake up after a night of drinking? Dead body pile.

Watch Video

And that was the first time I died.

I like how much you empathized with the character.

I couldn't really tell what was going on in the beginning cutscene

who are those armored guys? Why was their a random women dead? Why all of sudden we see a head get chopped off?? WTF are those guys elves? Why does that guy have yugioh cards?

Well, that failed to engage me in any way. Graham and Paul were the only thing that made that watchable. Without them, it would just be generic fantasy opener #419.

Man, I hate it when I wake up next to a bunch of strange corpses after a bender.

ForgottenPr0digy:
I couldn't really tell what was going on in the beginning cutscene

It'd be unfair if you did, since your character has amnesia.

who are those armored guys?

Bad Guys.

Why was their a random women dead?

Ponies

Why all of sudden we see a head get chopped off??

Because back scratching doesn't make for a very compelling scene.

WTF are those guys elves?

You mean the race that's being explained in the video?

Why does that guy have yugioh cards?

Because it's a mechanic of the game, explained on the back of the box, in promotional material, AND in gameplay.

Funny as always :)

Though no "bring out your dead" Python reference for the cart scene? Low hanging fruit is the most delicious!

I played Yu-Gi-Oh to the death a few times. That first time I died was a tad uncomfortable, but once you get in good with the ferryman it it's just like a river cruse...

I'm not very good at Yu-Gi-Oh...

Soviet Heavy:
Well, that failed to engage me in any way. Graham and Paul were the only thing that made that watchable. Without them, it would just be generic fantasy opener #419.

And that's why I quit the demo right when I got to the first town. Which was right after that dungeon.

Such a boring an uninspired setting. I just couldn't play it anymore after the first thirty minutes.

No worse place to wake up eh... a pile of corpses that's on fire?

Amalur has some good combo based combat but is waaaay too long, condensed to about half as long would have turned a good game into a great one.

leviadragon99:

That tends to smell better at least. In that sort of "all you can smell is smoke" kind of way.

Lancer873:

leviadragon99:

That tends to smell better at least. In that sort of "all you can smell is smoke" kind of way.

Yeah, but the smoke is made from burning flesh and hair....from dead bodies...old dead bodies.

Amalur was a functional, decent RPG. I'd even go so far as to call it good. I like the significance of Fate in the world, and the way the Fae interact with it and all. However, it has a poor choice of starting area once you get outside the first dungeon (generic RPG forest with generic RPG town in it). There are a number of more interesting, unusual, and visually-appealing areas in the game, but you aren't likely to get to any of them until you're several hours in.

Also, for all the work someone clearly did put into writing all the stuff about the Fae, and the interesting way Fate plays a part in the world, they failed to really make the game or the characters engaging. It is fun to play, but that isn't always enough.

Really, it is a fairly good action-RPG. If you're looking to play one of those, then hey, here you go. It's a decent timewaster where you can have fun killing baddies and saving the world. If you want something that will draw you in with it's engaging and immersive plotline and characters and such, you're probably better off looking elsewhere.

X3

yeah, not many worse places you can wake up then a pile of dead people.

fun game though, need to go back and finish it

Not only does Gadflow have one of the silliest villain names in a game trying to take itself seriously, but he also sounds like Pete... as in the Disney character, Goofy's nemesis.

Lvl 64 Klutz:
Not only does Gadflow have one of the silliest villain names in a game trying to take itself seriously, but he also sounds like Pete... as in the Disney character, Goofy's nemesis.

Avoiding spoilers but they actually deal with all that in the game. As you progress you learn more about exactly who and what Gadflow is/was.

well that would explain why no one plays yu-gi-oh anymore...
they all died

DVS BSTrD:
And that was the first time I died.

actually i think that was the tenth

Or if you're going to die, make sure you stay dead.

Also, at least this time they bold facedly told you you died.

Biodeamon:
they all died

No... logically there's still one player alive since no-one has beat him... But he must have a badass hand. I bet he's even able to get a straight royal flush. Yeah... I don't know anything about Yu-Gi-Oh...

I can't believe you didn't do the "nth time I died" thing!
I really like this game, it's got its shortcomings but overall it's a really fun game. Very underestimated, and definitely not worth destroying its developer.

Biodeamon:
they all died

I play Yu-Gi-Oh...
(Oh and for those unfamiliar in the context of the original series Yu-Gi-Oh was often played to the death, Shadow Duels and whatnot)

Fun fact, Originally these were the kind of games that the protagonist would play:

Clearly in order to market this to the youth some changes had to be made

Thing is, that opening narration doesn't really make a whole hell of a lot of sense... Until after you've completed the game.

Watching it again during a second playthrough (why would anyone play through this twice!?!) it makes a hell of a lot more sense because you've experienced the world. The opening is dry, to say the least.

Graham_LRR:
Worst place to wake up after a night of drinking? Dead body pile.

I reckon your character did have shoes, but sometime during the character creation, the midgets stole them.

Yu-Gi-Oh! is a pretty decent game. A lot like Magic: The Gathering, except heavily simplified. But unlike most Magic knockoffs, it clearly had some real thought put into its design and rules, so it still holds its own... at least, it would if it hadn't gone the unfortunately common lameass route of creating increasingly powerful monsters with no drawbacks, effectively making decks age quickly and become severely underpowered and useless in modern play. A shame, really, because it was a good bit of fun before they got greedy. Kinda surprising that Pokémon hasn't done that same exact thing.

P.S. Thanks

Could be worse, could be raining.

Imp Emissary:

Lancer873:

leviadragon99:

Yeah, but the smoke is made from burning flesh and hair....from dead bodies...old dead bodies.

Still, the fire would take your mind off of that. If it's just slowly burning, then it just adds a comparatively pleasant smell of smoke rather than purely having stuff that would literally force you to gag and throw up, and if it was burning fiercely then your mind really won't think about what it is that's burning. It just thinks "fire."

... OT:
I remember trying out this game. The idea of a proper action-RPG in open world was enticing but the final nail in the coffin was when I heard that it was rather easy.

Despite popular belief, there is worse place to wake up, than pile of corpses
Pile of dismembered chunks of corpses

itsausernamewhatofit:

Biodeamon:
they all died

I play Yu-Gi-Oh...
(Oh and for those unfamiliar in the context of the original series Yu-Gi-Oh was often played to the death, Shadow Duels and whatnot)

Fun fact, Originally these were the kind of games that the protagonist would play:

yeah...i remember reading manga...7 years after the anime...
yu-gi-oh was fucked up

"Official State game of Rhode Island"? Well, this is awkward...

There are worse places to be on top of that are not so exotic, like an ant hill.

Biodeamon:

itsausernamewhatofit:

Biodeamon:
they all died

I play Yu-Gi-Oh...

yeah...i remember reading manga...7 years after the anime...
yu-gi-oh was fucked up

I actually much prefer the manga regarding Yugi's "games" with escaped criminals, street thugs, and exploitative directors to the whole "Let's all be friends and play a card game" period. The story of a gambler who confronts people by betting his own life is a pretty neat story. It's just a shame that the anime adaptation (known as season zero) was not all that great compared to the manga.
(the card game is pretty fun though)

I think waking up on a pile of burning corpses would be worse

When I see any kind of green in my fire, for some reason, I think "disease".

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here