The Retro Show: Dynamite Headdy

Dynamite Headdy

This game will make you lose your head... Literally!

Watch Video

I figured I'd give this another shot after last week, but it's just not funny, entertaining, or interesting.

I see potential in this.

This episode wasn't too great, but the game was interesting, and I like the concept of the mini let's play thing.

Good luck with the show

I actually want more of this series. Seems to have a lot more potential than some of the other shows on The Escapist. Looking forward to more.

I'ld love to regularly watch this but knowing the escapist, it will get canceled right as it starts to get good :/ The word "noncommital" comes to mind.

Plusses:

• Still an interesting premise.

Minuses:

• No chemistry between the presenters.
  • Too much wasted screen space.
  • Too brief; needs at least six minutes running time to develop any kind of familiarity with the game.
  • Completely disjoint presentation. Video jumps from level to level with absolutely no sense of continuity or context, or indeed of what the fsck is going on. (I was completely unable to even identify the player character until about 1:30 in.)
  • It's obvious the presenters not actually playing the game.
  • The disconnect between the video and the commentary makes me wonder if either of them have ever played the game.

No bonus earned; you have three lives episodes remaining. You may proceed to the next episode.

I could never get past that boss either!

A little too spastic this week. Too all over the place, and it wasn't just the content of the game, it was the presentation of fragmented bits that didn't so much showcase the gameplay as it was just colorful crazy backdrop for the talking... which was, again, too difficult to follow.

I've liked previous episodes, I'll keep on it, but this one was, I think, an example of a direction not to take this.

Pretty fun to see the really old, obscure stuff played with a light Let's play sauce.

Thumbs up.

I did Dynamite Headdy in my youth, not sure I ever got past the ballerina stick thing boss though.

Well...the first part with the horse was funny, but nothing during the actual gameplay. I might have been biased, though, since I love this game dearly and know it almost back-to-front.

Rumpsteak:
I did Dynamite Headdy in my youth, not sure I ever got past the ballerina stick thing boss though.

I remember it well. It's a really bad game, Treasure's one dud. Which kinda sucks because obviously it's had a LOT of work put into it in terms of graphics, sound, and overall vision; but the controls are terrible, the voice acting is annoying, the character just plain sucks and the game is frequently close to unplayable.

For example, the spiky head that you use to grab onto walls and swing yourself up, is attached to Headdy's body by some kind of weird elastic methanism that bears only a passing relationship with anything that could be called "physics". It is damn near impossible to use, and there are entire levels that need it.

The jumping is awkward, the firing is awkward, and you can't jump and fire in different directions without affecting your momentum - a bad, bad mistake given some of the later levels (there's one that requires you to run away from a charging monster while jumping from platform to platform - you miss, you die instantly, because the moment you take a hit Headdy will stop dead and you can't recover - which essentially means you have to jump forward but aim backwards. But the direction controls control both the direction of Headdy and the direction of his head. So you're going to miss, a lot.)

The final nail in the coffin is just that Headdy is so goddamned ANNOYING. This game has some of the most teeth-gratingly horrible voice work I've ever heard in the 16-bit era. From the cheery "You've got another try!" which sounds like it was done by Maggie Smith on helium, to Headdy's constant nasally "Yay!" and "Bummer!" (which kinda comes off as a desperate attempt to look "cool" to the kids. It doesn't work.)

And at the end of each stage, you remember how Mario would hit the flag, slide down it, and immediately run offscreen pumping his fist into the air like he does? Yeah... Headdy doesn't do that. He stands there juggling his head a few times, announces "Yay!" once more in that awful cartoon nasal voice, then very slowly walks offscreen. This happens at the end of EVERY STAGE. You can't skip it. It must take about ten seconds or so but it feels like half an hour.

It's like the developers were in love with this character and desperate that he should become some kind of "mascot". Except nobody else loved this annoying little turdball.

It's hard to believe that the same studio that did the excellent "Gunstar Heroes" also did "Dynamite Headdy". The two are definitely aimed at different subsets of gamers - "Headdy" was intended for the very young - but it's just too boring at times and too unnecessarily hard at others. Throw in bad controls, enemies who throw "cheap shots", a frustratingly random bonus level, and one of the most viscerally hateable "mascots" of the era, and you have a game without an audience - there are problems in it for kids and adults alike.

So basically, if you're into retro gaming and want to check out some good games, look at almost ANYTHING that Treasure made, apart from this game. "Gunstar Heroes" is one of the best games on the Genesis. Barring some weapon balance issues it's an absolute masterpiece.

TheMadDoctorsCat:

Rumpsteak:

I remember it well...So basically, if you're into retro gaming and want to check out some good games, look at almost ANYTHING that Treasure made, apart from this game. "Gunstar Heroes" is one of the best games on the Genesis. Barring some weapon balance issues it's an absolute masterpiece.

That would seem to be a pretty thorough commentary on the game, I thank you as in the past I did wonder what the rest of the game was like. I guess my 5 year old self was a lot more forgiving of these kind of things.

I loved the game, kinda "cinematic" for a genesis game. I even made a tool assisted speedrun for it on tasvideos ^^

You think you've seen it all. Then you learn of Dynamite Headdy.

Mylinkay Asdara:
A little too spastic this week. Too all over the place, and it wasn't just the content of the game, it was the presentation of fragmented bits that didn't so much showcase the gameplay as it was just colorful crazy backdrop for the talking... which was, again, too difficult to follow.

I've liked previous episodes, I'll keep on it, but this one was, I think, an example of a direction not to take this.

Agreed

Rumpsteak:

TheMadDoctorsCat:

Rumpsteak:

I remember it well...So basically, if you're into retro gaming and want to check out some good games, look at almost ANYTHING that Treasure made, apart from this game. "Gunstar Heroes" is one of the best games on the Genesis. Barring some weapon balance issues it's an absolute masterpiece.

That would seem to be a pretty thorough commentary on the game, I thank you as in the past I did wonder what the rest of the game was like. I guess my 5 year old self was a lot more forgiving of these kind of things.

My five-year-old self liked "Batman Forever", the film. I still think it's enjoyable on a camp level, but it's got all sorts of problems. My point being, you like lots of things when you're young but maybe see the problems with them later on.

It's telling that I'm the only person I knew who actually finished this game (bonus final stage and all). Some of the later levels - in particular that one boss that you have to run away from while striking behind you - are ridiculously hard.

Awww love me some Dynamite Headdy. So so hard.

You should do UFO: Enemy unknown - if there was ever an uber-retro game that needs some love and revision its that!

awesome!

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here