Trailers: Magic The Gathering: Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 - Gameplay Trailer

Magic The Gathering: Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013 - Gameplay Trailer

Thanks to the Wizards of the Coast you can take out your card based aggression on your computer.

Watch Video

Oh, good. Did they even fix the game breaking bugs from the last one?

Make it 10 dollars on steam again and I'll get it right away.

OH MY GOD! Did you see that mana get tapped?! SO worth buying the game a third time!!

5% gameplay, 50% bad effects, 45% overly dramatic music. Without commenting on the game, I'm irritated that this is titled a "Gameplay Trailer".

Any word on a release date other than "coming soon"? I wouldn't get it if it weren't for the fact that a number of my friends are magic players and will likely be getting it themselves. :P

Zachary Amaranth:

Personally I just wanna be able to tap my own god damn mana instead having a combo cock-blocked because the game tapped the swamp I wanted to us for my next spell rather.

Edit: Oh, and they need to fix Shroud/Hexproof. Call to the Grave does NOT target the creature, it targets the creature's own and makes that player sacrifice a creature...in other words: Shroud/Hexproof does not protect against Call to the Grave.

RJ 17:
Personally I just wanna be able to tap my own god damn mana instead having a combo cock-blocked because the game tapped the swamp I wanted to us for my next spell rather.

Personally, I just want my game not to freeze from some fairly standard things.

Selecting what mana you use would also be nice, too.

nayrbarr:
5% gameplay, 50% bad effects, 45% overly dramatic music. Without commenting on the game, I'm irritated that this is titled a "Gameplay Trailer".

I think that's pretty much exactly how I'd describe the last two games, though. >.>

Ya know Duels of The Planeswalkers was an absolutely amazing game . . . . back in 1998 when it was made by Microprose and actually put a spin on Magic instead of just apeing the sit down card game. I'd freaking kill to see the Shandalar game remade as an XBL/PSN/PC game. It was, and still is, a bloody amazing game.

nayrbarr:

How else would you make a gameplay trailer about a card game? There are only so many different exciting ways you can show rectangles moving around a board.

I'll probably end up getting it. I played the crap out of the first one, am still playing the crap out of the second one, and can't see myself stopping now. It's still way cheaper than playing the actual game.

This series isn't going to become "Magic: Madden '13" is it? I think the game is fine, but do we need to see a new iteration each year with minor innovations?

RJ 17:
Any word on a release date other than "coming soon"? I wouldn't get it if it weren't for the fact that a number of my friends are magic players and will likely be getting it themselves. :P

Zachary Amaranth:

From Wizards' site (http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/arcana/945):

Optional Manual Tapping of Lands: Although Duels of the Planeswalkers is mostly for people who are new to Magic, it's a lot of fun for people who have been playing Magic long enough to know what's what. So for Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013, you can turn on an option to let you choose exactly which lands to tap!

That seemed needlessly over dramatic.

That being said, the changes make it worth a purchase.

HobbesMkii:

RJ 17:

Zachary Amaranth:

From Wizards' site (http://www.wizards.com/magic/magazine/article.aspx?x=mtg/daily/arcana/945):

Optional Manual Tapping of Lands: Although Duels of the Planeswalkers is mostly for people who are new to Magic, it's a lot of fun for people who have been playing Magic long enough to know what's what. So for Duels of the Planeswalkers 2013, you can turn on an option to let you choose exactly which lands to tap!

Thank god. To be fair, it seems like 2012 was a bit smarter about predicting what mana you'd be wanting to keep after casting a spell, but there's still a frustratingly large number of occurrences of getting screwed over because the game tapped mana that you needed.

HobbesMkii:
This series isn't going to become "Magic: Madden '13" is it? I think the game is fine, but do we need to see a new iteration each year with minor innovations?

Hey, as long as they're still keeping it this cheap, I'm okay with this.

Also, manual tapping of mana sources? Great success.
Wait. Is anyone else taking that as a sign we might see cards like City of Brass in this edition?

Why dont they just call it an expansion pack and call it a day? At least do something original like the ability to create one's deck

loudestmute:

Wait. Is anyone else taking that as a sign we might see cards like City of Brass in this edition?

Alastore:
Why dont they just call it an expansion pack and call it a day? At least do something original like the ability to create one's deck

I think they're sticking firm to their "Duels is for unfamiliar players" thing, so that's why they avoid cards with more "complicated" effects and deck-building. My bet is they don't want to have something that fully mimics all of Magic for fear of losing customers of the physical cards.

HobbesMkii:

Wizards seems to think so. Ever since 2010 they've put out a new 'core' set for the physical game each year (versus every other year for 4th-10th Editions), and the only changes are tweaks in the card selection and rules clarification. Since I've sworn off tournament play, the idea of re-buying the building blocks of my decks annually seems silly and slightly condescending.

HobbesMkii:

loudestmute:

Alastore:

I think they're sticking firm to their "Duels is for unfamiliar players" thing, so that's why they avoid cards with more "complicated" effects and deck-building. My bet is they don't want to have something that fully mimics all of Magic for fear of losing customers of the physical cards.

Thing is, there -is- something that fully mimics the physical game: Magic: the Gathering Online. The program is free to download, and you spend real money to buy virtual starters & boosters. In a surprising show of goodwill on WotC's part, if you amass a whole set of virtual cards, you can have them remove that set from your account and they'll send you the complete set in the mail. It's been around since at least 2004, and my guess is that it makes enough profit and affects physical sales so little that WotC maintains it even if it isn't very popular.

laserwulf:

HobbesMkii:

Thing is, there -is- something that fully mimics the physical game: Magic: the Gathering Online. The program is free to download, and you spend real money to buy virtual starters & boosters. In a surprising show of goodwill on WotC's part, if you amass a whole set of virtual cards, you can have them remove that set from your account and they'll send you the complete set in the mail. It's been around since at least 2004, and my guess is that it makes enough profit and affects physical sales so little that WotC maintains it even if it isn't very popular.

M:tGO has a slightly less user-friendly/polished client than Duels, though. Plus, Duels isn't charging you per card. My sense of the Duels design philosophy is to be a hook, like a playable demo that hints at the intricacies of the full game but doesn't provide every nuance of gameplay. Like, you'll buy Duels, and then, having grasped the basics of Magic, you'll move on to the full game.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here