Escape to the Movies: Men in Black 3

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Men in Black 3

You'll come out looking for the neuralizer.

Watch Video

Poor, poor Bob, having to sit through.....THAT.

I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemies. That's just cruel.

MIB had such wasted potential. It could have gone interesting places, but just floundered in mediocrity. 2 could have gone somewhere if they kept K out and had J growing into his role as an agent at odds with his position, understanding why K took the job and also why he chose to leave.

Hmmm... no props to the '90s cartoon of the series? It wasn't great, but it definitely did the "exploring the world" that you were looking for, even if it was generally through the veins of the two characters we care about...

I actually didn't get as much of the old cop/new cop plot out of MIB2, mostly because Jay spends the first half of the movie trying to convince Kay that he was ever a part of the agency to begin with. Plus it was really more of Kay's personal history than new secrets of the agency that were being uncovered (but the reveal at the end of the movie was a pathetic knock-off of the first). Sad that they overlook so much with the time travel aspect, and wasn't the whole joining the agency by accident in the first place what scarred Kay?

Bob failed to answer one important question - is MIB3 identical right down to Will Smith rapping through the credits?

I think Pit Bull does the rapping this time...WTF???

Well I feel Men in Black was very okish from the start, I mean yeah there always some funny jokes in it here and there, but that was pretty much it. It's a bit like elevator music.

Im going to watch it, because I like MiB, and MiB 2.
2 gets way too much hate. It was a really good movie.

Well, it's a shame to hear about more wasted potential. That was for me the main reason I didn't like the second one as much as the first. But looking past that, I still enjoyed MIB2. More of the same sounds enjoyable enough for me to go see it to be honest.

The Gentleman:
Hmmm... no props to the '90s cartoon of the series? It wasn't great, but it definitely did the "exploring the world" that you were looking for, even if it was generally through the veins of the two characters we care about...

I was thinking the same thing, the 90's series wasn't groundbreaking, but certainly more interesting than the second movie could've ever hoped to be, heck, they even did the whole "time travel" shenanigans in the very first season, with better results, in a single 30 minutes episode. I admit that the series went downhill after the third or fourth season (yeah, it lasted that long), but I enjoyed it far more than the movies.

OT: Definitively not interested in this piece of shit movie.

A lot of people seem to be disapointed that MIB has no real "lore" except maybe inside the continuity (of the sadly overly ignore) animated show.

Bit of me think its might be because MIB kinda reflect another time, were something like the avengers was simply unthikable

I'm already decided to skip the movie, anyway. Nice review, Bob.

Do those bikes their riding at 2.55 remind anyone of the IT bikes from the South Park episode The Entity. I do hope we get to see Will Smith and Josh Brolin analy penetrated, that would totally be worth the ticket price.

Well at least this movie is lot more enjoyable than Battleshit.

I had always been hoping for a revival of the older Men in Black comics (that the movies are kinda based on). I mean given to a writer like Warren Ellis or hell even Jhonen Vasquez and you could get something really good, instead of the retreaded crap that is MIB 2 and 3.

Also HOLYFUCKINGSHIT I NEED THAT POWER RANGERS SET NOW

believe it or not there is a reason the MIB are the way they are. That whole new franchise thing you were going on about at the beginning, yeah they actually did do that. It was called Men in Black; The animated series they took their ccharacters did new and semi-interesting things with them... and it sucked. It only ran for a few seasons and rated low. I imagine seeing that made the powers that be believe what people wanted to see was a)will smith and b) the first MIB over again.

Redem:
A lot of people seem to be disapointed that MIB has no real "lore" except maybe inside the continuity (of the sadly overly ignore) animated show.

Bit of me think its might be because MIB kinda reflect another time, were something like the avengers was simply unthikable

Speaking of the avengers, its kinda sad that this POS movie will dethrone The Avengers in the no. 1 spot in the box office this weekend.

But I am pretty sure MIB 3 will not be able to reach the success the avengers had reach which is already fine with me.

DVS BSTrD:
and wasn't the whole joining the agency by accident in the first place what scarred Kay?

That flagged in my head, too. I thought that was basically the whole arc of the first movie. And why he got his "happy ending."

Which was immediately removed because MIB II. But still.

Additionally, while I didn't get so much of the "old guy/new guy" dynamic per se, there was still a lot of the first movie in the second, to the point I understand why Bob insisted that it was essentially the same movie. There's definitely a "getting the band back together" deal going on.

Seems MIB lost its swag after the cartoon was over

Still thinking of going to watch MIB3

Redem:

I wonder how many people even know of the MiB lore written into the roleplaying book. There's quite a bit in that book.

zombie711:
Im going to watch it, because I like MiB, and MiB 2.

Oh my no...two was pretty terrible and quite obviously didn't work. It was cut to death, (just about 70 minutes) and that was obvious in the way villains (I'm thinking Johnny Knoxville's character) just completely disappeared from the movie. The dialogue was poorly written and worst of all for a comedy, rarely funny. The product placement was obnoxiously handled, the dropping of the Tommy Lee Jones storyline from the first film felt mean-spirited and pointless really as they could still have had him be with his wife and still re-recruit him. Perhaps even having his wife tag along could have added a different dynamic than simply trying to copy the dynamic of the first film.

The aliens were not as imaginative and didn't look as good as the first flick (the alien chicken things in MIB headquarters for example, and Ballchinians?? Really??) and the main villain was absolutely terrible on all levels. Cast poorly, written poorly, a transparant effort at copying the Edgar bug but failing and completely non-threatening in any sense.

Also, the apparant need to call back to every popular little thing of the first film killed it...the worm guys, the talking pug, Jeebs (his head grows back). They have a universe of near infinite possibility and the chance to grow it, and they rely on cheap fan-service by shoe-horning in those elements that only worked in the original because the segments were short and we didn't expect them. The talking pug and the worm guys were funny in the first film because it was kept brief, dragging the joke out is never a good thing.

The mawkish sentiment crammed in at the climax was enough to make me gag ("It rains because you're sad baby") and was the perfect capper to a movie that is poor at every level, was cynically made and lazily put together and farted onto screens...such a disappointment.

I went and saw the movie last night expecting it to be terrible and was surprised that I enjoyed it. It wasn't very good, but I liked it. My major complaint is that they change how the magical time macguffin works during the last fight. Still, good review.

I dunno the animated show just about wrapped up any piques in interest I had in the universe, it was a decent weekday afternoon show, my only reaction to MIB three was 'but why?'... And it still remains as thus, haven't got the money to spend on this and I haven't even seen the Avengers...

Edit: And Dayum, looking up there I forgot how nice the intro was...

Awwww, I was really hoping this one would have surprised him. Men in Black was one of the movies I watched to death as a kid. I'm pretty sure I ruined the VHS from the constant watching. The neuralizer toy from Burger King became my favorite toy for a long ass time. Even if MiB2 was kinda shit, the animated series was great fun and a good part of my Saturday mornings as a child.

Ah well, I'll see it anyway cause I love the idea of MiB, and hope it's one of the ones Bob and I disagree on.

I only really remember watched the animated series a lot as a kid. I don't think I ever saw the first two movies... Hell, when I did, I actually only watched the SECOND movie, while watching the first one in bits and parts I see on TV every now and then. Regardless, I wasn't exactly asking for a third movie in the MIB series, nor was I particularly interested in seeing it, even BEFORE this review.

Hey, you can't say nothing good came out of the MIB franchise after the first movie. What about the animated series? That one was pretty cool.

You know, the original was actually good. That's why stuff like this is depressing. They've taken something with such promise and just...wrung whatever promise it had in it, and thrown out the final product they came away with for our consumption.

zombie711:

While I can't quite agree that it was a "Really good movie", I enjoyed the second as I found it entertaining while not being too painful to watch. I'll definitely see this when its out on DVD.

Also, Bob's complaining about a film series following the same formula each time, but on Tuesday didn't he say that this wasn't necessarily a bad thing and people should stop using it as an excuse to dump on a film/TV series?

Marik2:

You know, that show wasn't too bad. It had decent enough characters, and the art style was outright fantastic. I wish we had more shows like it.

I have to agree with what Eric Jones said...

"So Bob didn't like a popcorn movie? Sounds good! I wasn't too enthusiastic before, but when Bob doesn't like a popcorn movie, it usually turns out to be a lot of fun. When he likes one, it turns out to suck as bad as Scott Pilgrim."

This movie will probably be hilarious!

I've seen the other films a couple of times but I remember literally nothing about them other than that there was a talking dog in it. I also remember that they weren't particularly good.

I really hoped the second movie would tie in with the cartoon series somehow, because it was awesome. The third more or less lifts it's plot from one of the episodes. I will probably end up seeing it with a few friends, maybe so we can poke fun at it later.

It's going to stop me. I'd already decided not to see this the moment I heard there was going to be an MIB 3.

Soviet Heavy:

Marik2:

You know, that show wasn't too bad. It had decent enough characters, and the art style was outright fantastic. I wish we had more shows like it.

Yeah I've got fond memories of it. I still remember the episode where there was a rather well meaning alien who acted like a superhero and the MIB were called into stop him. I liked that one as it showed aliens not being awful but still being a problem as they could blow their cover.

Shame to hear Bob doesn't like this, I'll keep my eyes on other reviews.

Pages 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here