Escape to the Movies: Men in Black 3

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Despite being a tired rehash in almost every regard, this movie is significantly better than the second one. Better design work, better script, better casting, less obnoxious plot, better villain. All of those things are still flawed in some way, but overall I'd consider this way more watchable. Yes, the movie isn't breaking new ground, but then neither do a lot of enjoyable films, and they could have done MUCH worse with it. To say "there's not reason to see it" seems rather harsh, considering movies are designed as entertainment and this is moderately entertaining, the inherent subjectivity of entertainment notwithstanding. I'd say it's slightly better than inoffensive, which can't be said of a lot of summer block busters. I only wish it were a bit funnier and less derivative, as then I'd really have no qualms with recommending it.

This will probably make a ton of money. Will Smith is just a money-machine, which is why I can never take him seriously as an actor

40-dvd set of power rangers, wow!

MIB3 - Yes
Gatsby - No
7 season power ranger set - YES!!!

Soviet Heavy:

Marik2:
Seems MIB lost its swag after the cartoon was over

Still thinking of going to watch MIB3

You know, that show wasn't too bad. It had decent enough characters, and the art style was outright fantastic. I wish we had more shows like it.

At the very least Alpha was an interesting antagonist. Bonus points for being voiced by David Warner.

Frostbite3789:
You know, the original was actually good. That's why stuff like this is depressing. They've taken something with such promise and just...wrung whatever promise it had in it, and thrown out the final product they came away with for our consumption.

Wouldn't be the first time, probably won't be the last.

misterprickly:
I have to agree with what Eric Jones said...

"So Bob didn't like a popcorn movie? Sounds good! I wasn't too enthusiastic before, but when Bob doesn't like a popcorn movie, it usually turns out to be a lot of fun. When he likes one, it turns out to suck as bad as Scott Pilgrim."

This movie will probably be hilarious!

Hey! Hey now!

Scott Pilgrim is an awesome film.

Counterpoint: If you're not a movie critic and required by your job to sit through way too many bad movies, MiB3 is a perfectly serviceable mindless summer comedy. It won't blow your socks off with anything startlingly new and innovative. But if you like the first one, and the trailers for this one seem at all interesting, you'll probably enjoy it if you don't try to over-analyze what's wrong with it like a movie critic. Is it great? No. You'll probably forget most of it by next weekend. But you'll enjoy the ninety minutes or so you're in the theater. If you didn't like the original, and think the trailers for this look bad, it's not for you, so don't bother.

I thought it was much better than MIB 2 (not that, that's hard) so yeah I did enjoy it.

Also Bob is this it for the rest of the year? that every film you review is going to be skipable because AVENGERS came out already and to you a good film and therefore nothing else need exist till the Hobbit?

Flamezdudes:

misterprickly:

"So Bob didn't like a popcorn movie? Sounds good! I wasn't too enthusiastic before, but when Bob doesn't like a popcorn movie, it usually turns out to be a lot of fun. When he likes one, it turns out to suck as bad as Scott Pilgrim."

Hey! Hey now!

No, no it isn't.

Flamezdudes:

misterprickly:

Hey! Hey now!

no, no it was not. The comic was good, the movie was baaaaaaaaaaaaaaad.

Aiddon:
MIB had such wasted potential. It could have gone interesting places, but just floundered in mediocrity. 2 could have gone somewhere if they kept K out and had J growing into his role as an agent at odds with his position, understanding why K took the job and also why he chose to leave.

This is pretty much the truth. I'll admit, I'm in a minority... I kind of liked MIB 3. Good? Not really, but honestly I felt it was more tolerable than #2. Still nothing special though.

Is it sad that the only thing I thought of after this was "Holy shit Tobey Maguire got work" and then started laughing?

I did want to reach for the neuralizer.... Back when I thought Splice was a pro science movie.... because Movie Bob said it was.... I got over that after Green Lantern sucked.

As for MIB3, yeah, it had the same formula as 1&2. I don't hate it for that. Maybe it could have had a better formula. But I'm not going to complain about that for the same reason why I didn't complain about Ghost Busters 2. Or even Iron Man 2.

But I'm certain if I pointed out how stale LoZ or Mario is for doing the same thing over & over.... Well.... He'd just call it nostalgia.... Although those have never gone away. Seriously Nintendo has rehashed the same 2 games a lot.

-

As for Power Rangers, yeesh, there's a part of the 90s that should have stayed in the 90s. Every episode just rehashed what the previous episode did. And just as lame as watching Bill Goldberg "wrestle".

I hated the second movie. They tried to rely on Will Smith's comedy bits to carry it, and in all honesty he's never been hilariously funny. Not saying there aren't moments, but he's not enough to sell a popcorn flick. (His last few outings have proved that luckily.)

I also said way back when that this would fail because they wanted to swap out K for younger K. While Josh Brolin is a great actor in his own right... You just can't expect him to match TLJ. Jones was the only reason I had a desire to see the first two.

I didn't think it was that bad.

Probably because I didn't have any expectations to it, and at least I didn't hate it like I did the second.

Still, I can't say I recommend it either.

misterprickly:

seems like it.

Sequels are a term made up by people in marketing. They do not, and cannot, exist. The only things you can have are segments of a really long movie that get released over what is usually a span of years (like LotR) or discrete movies with common features. The so-called 'Men in Black' movies are the latter. There have never been sequels.

That being said, 'Men in Black Three' is a good movie. It's fun, they hit the '60s beats really well, Will Smith and Josh Brolin play their parts convincingly and I actually had an emotional investment in the story by the end. It's not perfect: there are a couple head-scratching bits involving time travel and the big bad is little more than a gussied up MacGuffin, but there is no special reason to skip this one. It's good.

That being said, there's a non-special reason to skip it: because geek culture is often treated as a priesthood. One in which the only important way to prove your faith is knowing and being able to recite as much canon (catechism) on a pop culture topic as possible and the greatest bit of perfidy is to break canon. For those unfortunate souls, they can neither truly enjoy life nor this movie. I'd pray for them if that was a thing I did. If that doesn't sound like you then you might want to give this movie a try.

According to wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Men_in_Black_(comics) MiB was based off a series of comics currently owned by marvel. So what I want to know is this:

Where's the movie about Tommy Lee Jones arresting Thor?

misterprickly:

Ouch...

Or Sucker Punch...

Double ouch!

Okay I'll stop.

On topic: It'll be fun, and the franchise kind of petered out but I wasn't expecting anything good. Bob has a Yahtzee-caliber hatred of sequels even if his is more subconscious.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that part of what MB doesn't mention about why MiB II failed while MiB succeeded was that MiB was sort of...

Realistic isn't the right word. But it had a kind of internal logic permeating it that made the audience okay with going along with its world. There was plenty of funny stuff, but one rarely got the impression that the funny stuff existed solely for the sake of being used as a gag; rather, the strange, off-kilter and amusing things were just our reactions to a world that happened to work this way, contrary to (and sometimes parallel to in equally surprising ways) our own.

Around the point MiB II had Rip Torn kicking the bad guy in the face in mid-air fifty times in a row, I said, "Oh, hell. This isn't going to work at all, is it?"

So, I'm sorry (though admittedly not surprised) to hear that MiB III couldn't get its head out of its posterior. I think it would be possible to make another good MiB movie, but the series banks too much on Will Smith's charisma to make a reboot plausible, so... Sorry, MiB, been nice knowin' ya.

I think comparing Men In Black 3 to Men In Black 2 is doing this movie a ridiculous injustice, since Men In Black 2 was probably the lowest point a Men In Black movie could reach. It seems for a while that you've been harping on about the prospect of a MiB sequel merely because it never needed one, but considering the sheer cynicism I'm surprised it was even possible for you to walk away from the theaters without at least some sense of satisfaction. The script was better, it has a time travel concept that for once doesn't fall flat, the plot actually makes sense, the finale is actually satisfying and the movie has a really memorable villain.

Honestly, the movie is a rather big improvement. I realize that's not saying much but it really is. It's actually competent, and dare I say it, it has it's share of funny. Exploring the character dynamic by actually having J interact with K's younger counterpart was well manifested. If there's one thing I agree on, it's MiB struggling for relevancy, but considering what it was intended on doing, it's a rather enjoyable film.

Gatsby? as in The Great Gatsby?

uhmm......they already made a great gatsby movie that had that guy from law and order.

anywho.....POWER RANGERS!!!!

Flamezdudes:

misterprickly:

Hey! Hey now!

Yeah but even you gotta admit, it was pretty ridiculous when Bob pined for more movies to be like Scott Pilgrim ("Imagine if every movie character had an extra life, because that's how video games work!").

Come to think of it, Bob really wants movies to be something other than movies. First he wished they were more like video games (Scott Pilgrim), now he wishes they were more like comics (Avengers) with cross-overs, shared universes, no one ever really dies, etc.

I liked Scott Pilgrim, got the Blu-ray etc. Its not amazing but well worth a watch and Chris Evans and brandon Routh were funny.

the Power Rangers were crap though

misterprickly:

I am seriously considering seeing it. Bob was right about the Avengers (That is the MOST AWESOME MOVIE EVER!), but I get the feeling he is wrong about this one.

I was reeeeeeeeeeally hopeing this wouldn't re-hash the previous ones... now im sad... if Jermane can't save it then... *weeps*

The cartoon series was the shisnit though.

In the same way that I would consider proper reviews more than Zero Punctuation, I am going to ignore Movie Bob here and listen to a proper critic like Ebert or anyone from Rotten Tomatos (where it also has an 84% audience rating). I generally don't agree with Bob on his movie opinions anyway, so there's that.

I think Bob might be taking these movies a little too seriously, they're supposed to be silly.

Marik2:
Seems MIB lost its swag after the cartoon was over

Still thinking of going to watch MIB3

HOLY CRAP, now I remember that show! It was brilliant to watch as a kid growing up.

Kumagawa Misogi:

Flamezdudes:

misterprickly:

Hey! Hey now!

No, no it isn't.

The concept is interesting

The comic is okay, it the art style wasn't so not my taste.

The execution was bad... because of Michael "I can't act any other character than my character from arrested development to save my life" Cera.

I actually enjoyed the third film. I think that critics sometimes get wrapped up in expecting series to evolve in a critical way, and forget that series like MIB were always going to be stupid in the first place. The first movie was better, yes, and so was the second. If you busy yourself with how "disappointed" you are with this movie, after placing such expectations on a sequel, you've obviously been expecting more than is realistic.

It's a VERY RARE third movie that isn't a planned part of a trilogy that doesn't turn out a bit "meh". I think of this as an average movie, not a bad one. Emotional reactions of disappointment are certainly what hardcore fans of the franchise may have, but everyone else knows it's just a stupid film to take your family to see.

I'm not saying recommend the film, but don't start calling something terrible simply because it did not meet expectations. That's bull. It's not terrible, it's average. Very average, lots of wasted potential as well. However, I got laughs out of it. I'm sure you could do much worse with some other movies that are on. A few of those really are terrible.

irishda:

Flamezdudes:

misterprickly:

Hey! Hey now!

Yeah but even you gotta admit, it was pretty ridiculous when Bob pined for more movies to be like Scott Pilgrim ("Imagine if every movie character had an extra life, because that's how video games work!").

Come to think of it, Bob really wants movies to be something other than movies. First he wished they were more like video games (Scott Pilgrim), now he wishes they were more like comics (Avengers) with cross-overs, shared universes, no one ever really dies, etc.

I wouldn't trust Bob's opinion on comics... and his opinion on video games was long ago proven to be like trusting the hobo down the street about aliens. So take from that what you will.

doggie015:

misterprickly:

I am seriously considering seeing it. Bob was right about the Avengers (That is the MOST AWESOME MOVIE EVER!), but I get the feeling he is wrong about this one.

Bob watched the first 15minutes of the movie, the trailer on youtube, then wrote his review. After watching the movie, I honestly do not believe he saw more than what he could record for a bootleg before the theater threw him out. I've never seen him more obvious in his shtick of just hating on sci-fi cause it isn't the kind of super-serious sci-fi he likes.

After him saying Tree of Life was the movie of 2011, I wouldn't trust his recommendation or condemnation of anything when it comes to cinema.

The trailer for MiB3 alone made me think "why?" But thanks for confirming anyway Bob lol. Wish I could get a copy of the animated series on dvd/blu-ray but apparently legal bs continues to prevent it from being available.

Lionsfan:
This will probably make a ton of money. Will Smith is just a money-machine, which is why I can never take him seriously as an actor

You should see his last movie; 7 Pounds. It is both a bad movie and demonstrates that Will Smith's acting range is limited. Some say Hancock is his worst movie, but it's not. Not by a long shot.

Have to agree with MovieBob, the MiB franchise had so much potential, it could have been big. The animated series did a lot of things and it did them very well.

Also, series 1 to 7 of Power Rangers comes in a 40 disc collection, how much of that is episodes and how many are special features?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here