Escape to the Movies: Men in Black 3

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

WOW this review sucked. THe movie was great, extremely funny and emotional, good thing i watched the movie before the review you dissapoint me BOB :(

You really think they won't make a fourth?
I call that wishful thinking.

I went in and saw a movie with a couple of friends, and we had a blast! I have no idea why anyone would dislike the movie...Its just pure fun to watch, a great popcorn flick.

Marik2:
Seems MIB lost its swag after the cartoon was over

Still thinking of going to watch MIB3

Ah back when MIB still had potential. I remember that it was seeing the cartoon that enticed me to rent the movie when it came out, it's was sweet.

-I'm still going to see it, just love the universe. It takes something pretty bad for me to deny my completionist tendencies.

-Leonardo DiCaprio as a grumpy Gatsby? No thanks. Wasn't one of the things about Gatsby that he was ALWAYS be smiling?

-As obsessed as I was over the pink ranger power rangers, I don't want that brick of DVDs

For me this was one of those not-interested-in-the-least movies... Until I realised that it is Jemaine playing the bad guy! I am a HUGE FotC-fan and I just HAVE to see Jemaine play a crazy sooped-up biker!! Unfortunately I realise that the movie will still most likely suck =/

Shame people are using this space to bag Scott Pilgrim (which I think was good but that is irrelevant to this review) - I liked the first two men in black, as a child, now I think (like this one) they are simple and not really worth the time....

So I just saw the movie tonight fully expecting the worst due to Bob's extremely negative review and... well it's really not that bad. I think Bob's point about the series just refusing to acknowledge J's experience as a MIB Agent as he continues to act like the ignorant new guy is spot on. Bob's also got a point with the large similarity in plot structure between this movie and MIB 2.

All that said, the alien designs are cool, the set pieces are awesome, the fights are great, the acting is fantastic (Josh Brolin was amazing, you literally forget that he's not actually Tommy Lee Jones), the new characters are hit and miss (O is a waste, Griffin is amazing), the time travel element is well-handled, and the story is fun and at times quite poignant. I had negative preconceptions about this movie even before Bob's review largely thanks to some simmering disappointment with MIB 2, but honestly, MIB 3 is pretty good (imho).

On the contrary, if a movie constantly reviews poorly nowadays it stops me dead in my tracks to go see it. Movies are just getting to be to damn expensive to go see, and I don't have the patience to sit through 90 minutes of ho-hum entertainment.

misterprickly:
I have to agree with what Eric Jones said...

"So Bob didn't like a popcorn movie? Sounds good! I wasn't too enthusiastic before, but when Bob doesn't like a popcorn movie, it usually turns out to be a lot of fun. When he likes one, it turns out to suck as bad as Scott Pilgrim."

This movie will probably be hilarious!

this, this all over

Denamic:

Tommy Lee Jones is 65 now and he looks it. They can't just replace him. Will Smith is also middle-aged now (he's 43). I'm wondering how long he'll be able to continue looking 30-something. It's highly doubtful that they'll make a 4th unless it's a reboot of sorts. It might happen, but TLJ really just seems too tired for these sorts of things now.

axlryder:

Denamic:

Tommy Lee Jones is 65 now and he looks it. They can't just replace him. Will Smith is also middle-aged now (he's 43). I'm wondering how long he'll be able to continue looking 30-something. It's highly doubtful that they'll make a 4th unless it's a reboot of sorts. It might happen, but TLJ really just seems too tired for these sorts of things now.

They'll just make Tommy Lee Jones a cameo, or simply kill him off, and make Will the new mentor character with a new upstart sidekick.
Or make Kids in Black or some shit like that.
I wouldn't be surprised.

Denamic:

axlryder:

Denamic:

They'll just make Tommy Lee Jones a cameo, or simply kill him off, and make Will the new mentor character with a new upstart sidekick.
Or make Kids in Black or some shit like that.
I wouldn't be surprised.

If they do something with it, yes, it will probably be Will ushering in a new generation or something like that. I suppose speculation is kind of pointless until we see the box office numbers, but I'd consider it more of a coin flip than a sure thing.

you know, Men In Black actually spawned a really good saturday morning cartoon, which developed everyone's characters and expanded the universe quite a bit. Like the Arquillian's tiny alien rivals, the Fmeks, agent Alpha, L growing from sexy lab tech to active field agent, even a series finale with an interstellar WAR! AND NOT A SINGLE GOD DAMNED BIT OF THAT WAS USED IN MIB 2!

Saw it earlier tonight. It was certainly better than expected. It was good to see Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones again. MIB fans will enjoy it b/c it's exactly that- more men in black.

Callate:
I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that part of what MB doesn't mention about why MiB II failed while MiB succeeded was that MiB was sort of...

Realistic isn't the right word. But it had a kind of internal logic permeating it that made the audience okay with going along with its world. There was plenty of funny stuff, but one rarely got the impression that the funny stuff existed solely for the sake of being used as a gag; rather, the strange, off-kilter and amusing things were just our reactions to a world that happened to work this way, contrary to (and sometimes parallel to in equally surprising ways) our own.

Around the point MiB II had Rip Torn kicking the bad guy in the face in mid-air fifty times in a row, I said, "Oh, hell. This isn't going to work at all, is it?"

So, I'm sorry (though admittedly not surprised) to hear that MiB III couldn't get its head out of its posterior. I think it would be possible to make another good MiB movie, but the series banks too much on Will Smith's charisma to make a reboot plausible, so... Sorry, MiB, been nice knowin' ya.

Sorry to hear? See the movie before you damn it it was good. The villain was really enjoyable. I would watch a movie called, "Boris the Animal."

Why did you have to mention that Jemaine is in the movie ?
Why ?
Now I have to watch it. And I didnīt even watch the 2nd one.
Awesome, thanks. Real help.

God dammit......

angel85:
you know, Men In Black actually spawned a really good saturday morning cartoon, which developed everyone's characters and expanded the universe quite a bit. Like the Arquillian's tiny alien rivals, the Fmeks, agent Alpha, L growing from sexy lab tech to active field agent, even a series finale with an interstellar WAR! AND NOT A SINGLE GOD DAMNED BIT OF THAT WAS USED IN MIB 2!

That sounds awesome.
Is that thing online somewhere or does a dvd box exist ?

luckycharms8282:
Saw it earlier tonight. It was certainly better than expected. It was good to see Will Smith and Tommy Lee Jones again. MIB fans will enjoy it b/c it's exactly that- more men in black.

Considering that MiB 2 actively threw away the entirety of the character growth and development that occurred in the first movie, one could say that "more men in black" is entirely the problem with MiB 3 .

Qitz:
Poor, poor Bob, having to sit through.....THAT.

I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemies. That's just cruel.

This, oh so this.

MIB, solid "popcorn" movie.

MIB 2 - its unfortunate, ugly, retarded cousin. "watchable"

So its clear where 3 is going to sit.

IMO a better dynamic for 2 is showing more of J with his rookie partner and perhaps how BADLY he handles it. Then you make the rookie the smart one for laughs. Think "what he said" from hot fuzz.

See, I have better hopes for ghostbusters 3 if it ever gets made. They are sitting refusing to do it for fear of doing this, so if they do make it I assume they will have found a way round the problem.

Man, Bob. You always spoil the review in the description.

watched it few days ago with my wife and we both agreed that it was just an OK movie. but not as good as the first 2 movies.
i personally think that part 2 was the best because it was funnier, especially with the dog and the worms and getting K back was just hilarious. and besides, MIB is just a entertaining movie and should not be taken that serious. there are really far worse movies out there then the MIB movies.

irishda:

Flamezdudes:

misterprickly:

"So Bob didn't like a popcorn movie? Sounds good! I wasn't too enthusiastic before, but when Bob doesn't like a popcorn movie, it usually turns out to be a lot of fun. When he likes one, it turns out to suck as bad as Scott Pilgrim."

Hey! Hey now!

Scott Pilgrim is an awesome film.

Yeah but even you gotta admit, it was pretty ridiculous when Bob pined for more movies to be like Scott Pilgrim ("Imagine if every movie character had an extra life, because that's how video games work!").

Come to think of it, Bob really wants movies to be something other than movies. First he wished they were more like video games (Scott Pilgrim), now he wishes they were more like comics (Avengers) with cross-overs, shared universes, no one ever really dies, etc.

It's his secret: Moviebob secretly dislikes movies. :P

O.T(Ish. It relates to the video):Why the hell is Gatsby showing up everywhere? I start reading it not one week before, and all of a sudden, it's everywhere. Hate when that happens.

What's with the reviews for clunkers that we all knew were bad?

Why not choose smaller, more interesting movies?

For example, how about a review of the new Wes Anderson, MOONRISE KINGDOM? It came out on Friday.

irishda:

Yeah but even you gotta admit, it was pretty ridiculous when Bob pined for more movies to be like Scott Pilgrim ("Imagine if every movie character had an extra life, because that's how video games work!").

Come to think of it, Bob really wants movies to be something other than movies. First he wished they were more like video games (Scott Pilgrim), now he wishes they were more like comics (Avengers) with cross-overs, shared universes, no one ever really dies, etc.

Somehow i don't think that's what he meant. Personally, i wouldn't mind seeing more movies using the sensibilities of other media to find new, innovative ways to tell their stories. Doesn't mean every movie has to be like that but it's still a relatively fresh idea. I love movies. That's why i like to see the medium evolve. That's why i want to see some completely new concepts once in a while. It doesn't mean it always has to work (Sucker Punch had a lot of interesting ideas but suffered from lackluster writing) but good god, at least you have tried something new. It doesn't mean movies shouldn't be movies anymore, it means that the range of what a movie can do should grow and not stay the same.

captcha: no brainer. Nice to have your support, Captcha.

I knew this was gonna suck when Will Smith's character wasn't aware of time travel after working for MIB for several years, and was surprised! I'll probably rent it when it comes out on DVD, they're usually good for mindless fun.

Pretty much what I was afraid of, but I HAD been hoping...

Thanks for saving me $10.50 plus popcorn, Bob. Nice and concise.

Calbeck:
Pretty much what I was afraid of, but I HAD been hoping...

Thanks for saving me $10.50 plus popcorn, Bob. Nice and concise.

That's my feeling on it as well. I had hopes that it would be at least better than the second.

oh well..

and since you mentioned it... Movie popcorn is nasty. Most of them pop it in large batches once or twice a week and then mix it in with a small amount of fresh popped behind the counter during peak times.

I despise this thread. Every other post is "I knew this movie would be bad, I'm not going to waste money on it. Nice review, Bob."

It wasn't. I'm just going to post what I put in the FB comments on the video:

All I have to say is, "But that's wrong." I think this is a case of Bob WANTING to hate MiB3 so badly that he made the movie bad in his own mind. It had a ton of great jokes, the story was massively more entertaining than the second movie, the premise was FAR from a rehash and to say it is a rehash is to stretch the truth to unacceptable bounds, the twist at the end DOES explain everything about K's character (with more details I can't go into without spoilers), and it's a damn insult to say that Boris the Animal is just aiming at Edgar the Cockroach. They're two completely different characters with different attitudes, designs, and personalities. All they have in common is a deep voice. Also, you really think the racism aspect should have been addressed MORE? That's what MiB needed? More acknowledgement of a serious problem of the era instead of just one really funny gag so they could get on with the plot? Men in Black 3 was a great movie and I think its only fault is that we missed out on more fun with Tommy Lee Jones... But Josh Brolin does do a fantastic K with a twist of optimism that made the dynamic between him and Will Smith's J (basically Will Smith) really fun to watch. There are several scenes in the movie that made my friend and I lean over to each other and say, "That was worth my $12 right there," and I would have paid it again if I'd known the ending was going to be so touching. All I have to say regarding whether or not you see it is that you shouldn't see it in 3D because nothing great happens with it and there's one scene with lasers that come out of a TV on screen and then out of the actual screen and it hurt my eyes like hell.

Sylveria:

doggie015:

misterprickly:

I am seriously considering seeing it. Bob was right about the Avengers (That is the MOST AWESOME MOVIE EVER!), but I get the feeling he is wrong about this one.

Bob watched the first 15minutes of the movie, the trailer on youtube, then wrote his review. After watching the movie, I honestly do not believe he saw more than what he could record for a bootleg before the theater threw him out. I've never seen him more obvious in his shtick of just hating on sci-fi cause it isn't the kind of super-serious sci-fi he likes.

After him saying Tree of Life was the movie of 2011, I wouldn't trust his recommendation or condemnation of anything when it comes to cinema.

This is pretty right. Bob is just outright wrong in some areas, which is something that isn't supposed to be possible in a review. Bob phoned in this episode like none other. I wouldn't even say it was a matter of opinion. There have been times in the past where I've disagreed with him, but this review feels like an intentional slander against the movie with personal motivation.

I really liked the first MiB, and found the second one ok. I have no interest in ever seeing this though.

Bonecrusherr:

misterprickly:

seems like it.

He hated the movie before he even saw it.

The last film he reviewed he groaned about this already.

So dunno, I'm sure it'll be a simple movie to entertain me, but I was expecting vitriol and wasn't disappointed in the review.

*groan*

This is not what I wanted to hear. I loved the first film. So much so that even despite the awfulness of the sequel I was once again gearing myself up for number 3. I wasn't hoping for a return to glory for the franchise but I was hoping for something akin to Nightmare on Elm Street 3 or Starship Troopers 3: The okay third film after the awesome first but incredibly lame second. I'm still going to see it but if it's as bad as Bob says, that'll probably kill the rest of the goodwill I have left over from the first one.

Goddamnit.

Urh:
Bob failed to answer one important question - is MIB3 identical right down to Will Smith rapping through the credits?

I'm also wondering if this film will also ape the last two by ending the film with a sequence showing the galaxy/planet/whatever is actually contained in a train station locker, even though that somewhat contradicts the "stored in a giant space marble" concept from the first film. That was what bothered me most about the 2nd film, actually. Seems unlikely the super-aliens that cart our galaxies around for whatever reason would make a change to such an inefficient storage method.

I never really felt the need to go see this film in the cinema, despite how much I liked the first.

Bad news people, Power Rangers suck pretty hard. Same damn episode every damn week. Gotta leave that stuff in the past, at least DBZ is still good.

ilovemyLunchbox:
and it's a damn insult to say that Boris the Animal is just aiming at Edgar the Cockroach. They're two completely different characters with different attitudes, designs, and personalities. All they have in common is a deep voice.

No Bob was right they copied the villain from that last one. Boris was an alien just like Edgar. Why couldn't the villain be a human cereal killer or a ghost? I went to a movie about aliens to see a villain who was a magic elf!

Seriously though all of Animal's lines are pure gold. I would go into detail but it would spoil things.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here