Escape to the Movies: Men in Black 3

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Denamic:
You really think they won't make a fourth?
I call that wishful thinking.

Really depends how it performs. The production ended up being absurdly high given how mediocre the final product is. While it'll likely do alright thanks to an existing fanbase and Will Smith's name on the box, I have my doubts it'll make enough of a profit for anyone to feel it's worthwhile to make a 4th.

angel85:
you know, Men In Black actually spawned a really good saturday morning cartoon, which developed everyone's characters and expanded the universe quite a bit. Like the Arquillian's tiny alien rivals, the Fmeks, agent Alpha, L growing from sexy lab tech to active field agent, even a series finale with an interstellar WAR! AND NOT A SINGLE GOD DAMNED BIT OF THAT WAS USED IN MIB 2!

The tragedy of the MIB films is that the premise actually gave it a lot of potential to tell different kinds of stories. The films are almost literal the same type of story when in fact the MIB being Earth's diplomatic organization to aliens could lend itself to a lot of different scenarios. Like, say, someone trying to assassinate some bureaucrat, rogue agents like Alpha in the cartoon, or even a heist film if they wanted it. The films ended up being wasted potential.

Marik2:
Seems MIB lost its swag after the cartoon was over

Still thinking of going to watch MIB3

Mmmmmmmmm.........I'd forgotten how damn funky that intro is. Really was a fantastic cartoon.

I just saw the movie and I loved it. I'm really quite confused on what Bob means by "same movie rehashed". Kay has a dark secret which is used to drive the plot? EVERYONE IN THE MOVIE DOES. THEY'RE THE MEN IN BLACK!!! THEY DON'T EVEN EXIST ACCORDING TO THE GOVERNMENT! Its like he completely forgot the concept. And because K has been in the agency long enough to make a lot of enemies, how are these enemies showing up to stop him the same plot every time? And as someone stated before, he has been completely overlooking J's intelligence in the movie and still seeing him as the rookie. I dunno, it just sounds like Bob didn't try to like it after seeing the second was a trainwreck and just dismissed the whole series.

The writing was hilarious, the fight scenes were good, and the cgi looked soooooo much better than the first 2. Yea Tommy Lee Jones isnt in it as often, but how is that a bad thing? He's getting kinda old. Bob even wanted the story and universe to branch off instead of seeing the same stuff over and over again......so he wants more Tommy Lee Jones?

Hmm...I have to disagree. I liked it. It wasn't amazing but neither was the first. It was good though, better then the second IMO.

But I laughed my ass off and genuinely enjoyed the movie, MovieBob. Thats two movie reviews now that you've done that I've had the opposite experience you've said i was going to have in your review... I'm losing faith in you good sir.

(the other being Battleship)

Still going to see it, nothing better to do.

But seriously, The Great Gatsby? You're looking forward to that? Wat? I know MIB 3 is going to be mediocre, but TGG is in my territory of really bad stories that really shouldn't ever be told. The Great Gatsby, 1.5 hours of bland boring nothing filled with unlikeable characters and blah. A great time to be had, yeah right. Much alcohol required, preferably black out drunk.

There are no redeeming qualities about The Great Gatsby. The writing is bad, the characters unrelatable and unlikable, and the story meaningless. An American classic my arse. If you're defending this story (much less the films), then your standards are too low.

longboardfan:

But seriously, The Great Gatsby? You're looking forward to that? Wat? I know MIB 3 is going to be mediocre, but TGG is in my territory of really bad stories that really shouldn't ever be told. The Great Gatsby, 1.5 hours of bland boring nothing filled with unlikeable characters and blah. A great time to be had, yeah right. Much alcohol required, preferably black out drunk.

There are no redeeming qualities about The Great Gatsby. The writing is bad, the characters unrelatable and unlikable, and the story meaningless. An American classic my arse. If you're defending this story (much less the films), then your standards are too low.

Nick Carraway wasn't unlikable. He was pretty much a regular self-insertion character who was fascinated with Gatsby. Leonardo DiCaprio was fantastic casting for Gatsby though because it really is fun to watch him do anything. It also depends on the way the story is told. It looks like it's going to be a beautiful movie visually. I think that's why Bob says "This... Might... Work..." He's not looking forward to it as much as he's acknowledging, "Hey, this could be good considering what they've shown us so far."

I personally sort of liked TGG, and I feel like the way it will fall flat is by trying to point out all of the things you had to study in your high school English class. I mean, the trailer already showed that big mural with the glasses that represented voyeurism or whatever the hell it was supposed to.

008Zulu:

Lionsfan:
This will probably make a ton of money. Will Smith is just a money-machine, which is why I can never take him seriously as an actor

You should see his last movie; 7 Pounds. It is both a bad movie and demonstrates that Will Smith's acting range is limited. Some say Hancock is his worst movie, but it's not. Not by a long shot.

Have to agree with MovieBob, the MiB franchise had so much potential, it could have been big. The animated series did a lot of things and it did them very well.

Also, series 1 to 7 of Power Rangers comes in a 40 disc collection, how much of that is episodes and how many are special features?

I couldn't even make it through 20 minutes of that...

I mean he's done alright in 2 films, Six Degrees of Separation, and Ali (although that one was pushing it), but every other film is a Summer Blockbuster. I might be wrong, but I believe he even gave an interview like a year ago or so, and he just admitted that he made boring bland money-making films on purpose

Eh, i liked it. Pretty much just back from watching it and i can't say i felt it was as bad as Bob is making it sound here.

It does however seem like a lot of people were ready to hate it before it was even out so i guess once more i get to feel like an odd one. Had some popcorn and sat down to have a good time and indeed i did. Sure it's no great star in the movie heaven, but do they all really have to be?

Well, I came out of this movie and I told myself: This movie did what it was supposed to do very well, so I shall can't really critizie it.
It was very entertaining, never got boring and the story was fun and engaging and all that good stuff.
The dialog was enjoyable, as were the fight scenes and the cgi, so I don't get why moviebob hates this movie so much.
Yes, the 2nd movie was terrible, but this film was very entertaining and enjoyable.
And if they ever make a fourth, I will probably go see it.

If anyone still has a hunger for more MIB, I suggest watching the old animated series. It basically takes the core concept of the setting and runs with it. And it came out after the first movie, so it has none of the baggage the two sequels have.

Men In Black: The Animated Series is currently running on the Hub.

Lionsfan:
I couldn't even make it through 20 minutes of that...

I mean he's done alright in 2 films, Six Degrees of Separation, and Ali (although that one was pushing it), but every other film is a Summer Blockbuster. I might be wrong, but I believe he even gave an interview like a year ago or so, and he just admitted that he made boring bland money-making films on purpose

It wasn't my choice to watch either, it was a date movie and she liked Will Smith. Never saw Ali, thought it looked good but I'm not much of a boxing fan.

Not surprised about the "paycheck" movie reveal, a lot of actors do those. Its the only reason Uwe Boll gets big names for his movies.

MIB3 is not good as MIB1 but so much better than the MIB2

I love the 90 cartoon series based off MIB

Movie wasn't no where near as bad as Bob made it out to be. You go in hating something its hard to see anything positive about it, even when its right there.

Saw the movie last night at the drive-in expecting it to be more of a 'meh' movie, especially compared to seeing the Avengers again, which played right before MiB3 did. However, I actually found myself enjoying the movie quite a bit more than I expected, which is defiantly a good thing since I really enjoyed the first movie and the animated series. The two things that really made it for me was Will Smith (I just love his charisma and way he acts in almost any movie he's in, even if it's mediocre or shitty) as well as Griff and his constant, often hilarious remarks about all the differing possibilities of the time-stream (they actually got it right by saying he was a 5th dimensional being!) and that it was such a pain in the ass to see things that way. I have to say, the 5th dimension thing was really clever, because if instead they brought in someone who saw 4 dimensions, he/she/it would just easily predict the future that would happen and make things far too easy for the characters and boring for the audience. So for anyone on the fence, just go see it; it's nowhere near as bad as the 2nd movie, and gets a 7.5/10 from me, not groundbreaking or incredibly amazing, but rightfully entertaining none the less.

RatGouf:

But I'm certain if I pointed out how stale LoZ or Mario is for doing the same thing over & over.... Well.... He'd just call it nostalgia.... Although those have never gone away. Seriously Nintendo has rehashed the same 2 games a lot.

Disputing the shit out of that, Nintendo at least put effort into it. Shoulda used CoD as the example where every game IS the same. "Saves the Princess who's secretly a pirate by sailing a boat across Water World" and "Save your childhood friend who isn't a princess by flying around on a bird and parachuting" aren't just re-hashes.

Sorry, but ^ this stuf about Zelda being the same game pisses me off when CoD gets a free ride year after repetitive year.

OT: I'm probably going to see MIB3, Bob might not like it and he's allowed an opinion but I kinda want to see it for myself before I judge.

I went to see this movie last night at the drive-in and I have to say that I was entertained. I found it funny and a lot of fun for a summer movie. I don't look for oscar-level acting, as summer movies rarely see oscars. I look to have a good time, to forget my trouble for just a little while and I got it with this movie. I'm seeing too much hate for movies these days and I'm pretty much done with reviewers. Never put much stock in them anyway. The only reviewer I ever watched or read was Ebert, and only because he's actually made a movie, so he does know what a bad movie is. Roeper hated Lord of the Rings, so there you go.

ilovemyLunchbox:

longboardfan:

Nick Carraway wasn't unlikable. He was pretty much a regular self-insertion character who was fascinated with Gatsby. Leonardo DiCaprio was fantastic casting for Gatsby though because it really is fun to watch him do anything. It also depends on the way the story is told. It looks like it's going to be a beautiful movie visually. I think that's why Bob says "This... Might... Work..." He's not looking forward to it as much as he's acknowledging, "Hey, this could be good considering what they've shown us so far."

I personally sort of liked TGG, and I feel like the way it will fall flat is by trying to point out all of the things you had to study in your high school English class. I mean, the trailer already showed that big mural with the glasses that represented voyeurism or whatever the hell it was supposed to.

Oh come on, you're defend TGG by appealing to actors? That has nothing to do with the story. The story is garbage. GARBAGE. Visuals are cool and all, but as I've long since discovered with video games and movies, they aren't enough to keep me interested. Avatar and the Transformers movies were pretty, but had crap story. Modern shooters are great at displaying high definition greys and browns. Wow, I've never seen such high quality dirt textures in my life. I mean just look at this dirt; its so shiny and detailed. So pretty.

Josh Brolin totally saved this movie from being awful.

Its got some funny moments and its definitely better than the 2nd movie. But its the worst kind of "ok" movie because it could've been a really good movie

longboardfan:

ilovemyLunchbox:

longboardfan:

Oh come on, you're defend TGG by appealing to actors? That has nothing to do with the story. The story is garbage. GARBAGE. Visuals are cool and all, but as I've long since discovered with video games and movies, they aren't enough to keep me interested. Avatar and the Transformers movies were pretty, but had crap story. Modern shooters are great at displaying high definition greys and browns. Wow, I've never seen such high quality dirt textures in my life. I mean just look at this dirt; its so shiny and detailed. So pretty.

I think you have some personal issues with your high school English class, buddy. TGG was not that bad.

MarsProbe:
a sequence showing the galaxy/planet/whatever is actually contained in a train station locker, even though that somewhat contradicts the "stored in a giant space marble" concept from the first film. That was what bothered me most about the 2nd film, actually. Seems unlikely the super-aliens that cart our galaxies around for whatever reason would make a change to such an inefficient storage method.

I figured that was just a dimensional doorway; that both endings could simultaneously be true.

OT: This is another instance where I entirely disagree with Bob. I had lots of fun with this movie, even if I thought there were one or two things that could've been improved. Honestly, I really think that when it comes to movies that are decent, but aren't striving to become classics of their genre, I almost always disagree with Bob. I think the last time I did agree with him was "Red".

MIB3 took The Avengers out of the #1 Box Office spot. It's good, I don't know why this review was negative.

Just came back from watching it with my dad and I gotta say... seems im gonna be disagreeing with Bob and apparently most of those who commented so far, both I and my dad enjoyed it.

Watched bobs review last week so can't quite remember which of his points i'd disagree with except: agent J and K's newbie/veteran cop rountine being recycled and J despite being a vet agent not knowing mib secrets.I did not feel that J had had any such moments beyond time and era related knowledge he wouldn't ever have and the top secret mib stuff which J didn't know about involves both time travel and his younger kid self, both good reasons for making it uber top highly classified (well i doubt film really cared about justifying it, but im just saying this is a plot hole that is easily covered so hardly causes suspension of disbelief).

Anyways, film was entertaining for me and my dad, take of that what you will.

Also just came back and also don't agree with Bob.

Sure, it doesn't compare to the first or to the cartoon in terms of quality. Although, it doesn't have much to surpass in terms of the second movie.

Just saw the movie.
Bob was so-oh-oh-oh-oh WRONG!

I was expecting a bad "back to the future" kind a thing but it was really more of a "Dr Who" story and I love Dr Who stories.

I especially liked the hard work that Rick Baker put into each and every character, big or small.

I say, see it but not in 3D.

I think BOB was dead wrong with this review. I really enjoyed Men in black 3. Young K was a great act. Tommy lee is aging, but he did his part well all things considered. Will smith is also getting up there in age, but the movie lampshaded it instead of trying to ignore the obvious. The writing was funny and the future sight guy was very likable. I give the movie a 4 out of 5. It was waaay better than 2.

There's no reason for anyone to see it? Did we suddenly all become of the same opinion while I wasn't looking?
Anyway, no one really expected it to be anything more than a silly bit of fun did they? And that is exactly what it delivered. Josh Brolin does a great impression and Jermaine Clement's impression of Tim Curry isn't bad. The plot twist is obvious and it is flawed but I found it a lot more fun than the second one.

I actually thought Boris was played Tim Curry to the point where I was like "OMG ITS NIGEL THORNBERRY!"

I'm really surprised there was enough interest in MiB to warrant another sequel, especially after so much time has past since the cartoon and the other 2 flicks.

Lionsfan:
This will probably make a ton of money. Will Smith is just a money-machine, which is why I can never take him seriously as an actor

Gosh, how dare that man! The nerve, making millions of dollars! He deserves to be shot!

OT: The movie was great. It had very few similarities with the second movie, the acting was good, the script was good, the plot was good, and most of it all it was enjoyable.

Supertegwyn:

Lionsfan:

Gosh, how dare that man! The nerve, making millions of dollars! He deserves to be shot!

Where did I say he's not allowed to do that? Or where did I insult him or say it's a negative? If you're looking then I can help you out right, I never said that

Well, I saw it today. It wasn't so bad that I felt like I wasted my money, but it probably won't be that memorable. It had some funny moments in it, but it didn't have the same off-the-wall goofiness of the previous movies.

Funny thing, I re-watched the first two movies a couple days ago, for the first time in ten years, to help me get caught up and... I didn't remember the events of the second movie at all! I vaguely remember the whole thing with J deneuralizing K and reintroducing him to MIB, but I didn't remember the villain or anything about what the plot was about. Compare that with the first movie, where I could totally recall the giant bug and the search for the "Galaxy on Orion's Belt" and the dead alien in the morgue with the cat and all that. The first one was simply a much more memorable movie.

I also talked to a couple friends about the second movie, and they both described events from the first movie, because they couldn't recall anything about the second one either! As one of my friends said, it's as though all the theatre-goers were neuralized afterward! :P

tl;dr: First movie is still the best and Bob's right when he says they're getting less and less memorable.

Late to the convo here, but I just saw MIB3.

I think a lot of the negativity coming from MovieBob and others is because they saw MIB1 as a promising franchise, and after MIB2 didn't 'expand the franchise', there was nothing left but pessimism.

I was very young when I saw MIB1, and to me the movie was funny, full of unique ideas and a pleasure to watch.

Then I saw MIB2; more funny, more unique ideas, still fun to watch.

Now that I'm older, looking back I think the two MIB movies were mediocre at best, and I never got the impression that it takes itself too seriously***. But I think they have a timeless aspect to them, and stand out among other movies.

I think what separates those who hate 2 & 3 between those who like them is age. If you were old enough to critically analyze movies when MIB first came out, I get the feeling that you were *looking forward* to the next movies, but found every successive movie a disaster as it didn't live up to what you dreamed it to be. Those who were too young to criticize, or perhaps only saw the two movies recently, are *looking back* at the franchise and therefore do not develop expectations that color their opinion of the second movie, as they don't have to wait in anticipation for it. From all the MIB3 hate I see... *looking back* is probably a much more enjoyable perspective to be seeing the movies from.

Going into the third movie, all I expected from it was cool ideas, funny jokes, and an all around good time. I was not disappointed, in fact I got more than that; I thought it was an excellent movie, and it certainly still retains the spirit of the others, with a powerful ending that provides more closure to the story (and presumably the end of the movies forever).

***I didn't examine it that closely, but I did get the feeling that there was some discontinuity in the back-story between the 2nd and 3rd (K had a wife... then screw her, O is the only woman apparently). However it doesn't bother me, because as I said, the movies don't take themselves seriously enough for those details to really matter.

I think 3 was better than 2. But thats not saying much.
I still consider this one to be a good move as well.

(DO "MAGIC MIKE" BOB)

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or