No Right Answer: Ur Right Answer Contest Winning Video

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Ur Right Answer Contest Winning Video

Behold. The winners of the Ur Right Answer fan contest get their day in the sun! Keep a look out on Monday for No Right Explanation, where we will include video links to the runner up!

Watch Video

Seriously? This is the one that won? Bad debate, bad audio, skewed camera, mostly monotone voices, etc. Please tell me this was the only entry and that's why it won.

I would have to go with Bioware on this.

In Mass Effect there's a plot that gives you a sense that something needs to get done. Then they give you the side mission as icing on the cake and in some cases actually flesh the world out.

In the Skyrim I dont even remember what the fuck point of anything I was doing was. That game is competlely about the dicking around in the world at the cost of story.

Yeah, I'm waiting for a game master to say: "Okay, you're a group of great warriors and your quest is to save the universe." instead of "You just wake up in a tavern with a hangover, you don't remember much."

That's the difference between bioware and bethesda.

doublenix:
Seriously? This is the one that won? Bad debate, bad audio, skewed camera, mostly monotone voices, etc. Please tell me this was the only entry and that's why it won.

It was far from the only debate submitted, and not everyone has professional filming equipment or training you know.

doublenix:

I would say this shows the overall quality of the entries if this is the best one they got.

OT: I'd have to go with Bethesda on this one, I love the older BW games and for the longest time they were my favorite company but their recent games in my opinion have been lackluster to say the least, truth is Bioware is not the same anymore and it's never gonna be the same ever again. I don't hate them or anything, I just don't like them as much as I used to.

Bethesda on the other hand has Skyrim on their recent titles, a game I very much enjoyed and still go back to from time to time. They revitalized the Fallout franchise and while I didn't like the writing on Fallout 3 I can at least appreciate them for bringing the Fallout universe back to life (plus I loved FO: NV which would have never been made without FO 3).

Shadowstar38:
In the Skyrim I dont even remember what the fuck point of anything I was doing was. That game is competlely about the dicking around in the world at the cost of story.

Now you can choose a side without having to trash the other.
Personally I'd go with bioware too for the soul reason that in Skyrim I don't feel like I have a character, just a watching perspective. You have far more limited choices in what to say and do in set quests but there's a lot of them. I love both for their strengths, but I don't consider the open world model or the linear story model a defining characterisitc in the RPG genre, it tends to be a mix of both.

Also, Bethesda hits the nail on the head on what it would feel like to be the 'chosen one' throughout. You say it costs storyline but we hardly ever find out what happens to the conquering hero after the mighty quest. And frankly, Skyrim gets it across nicely, everyone respects you but you still need to make a living.

I used to love Bioware . . . and then they remade the same game over and over again with slightly altered characters and settings. One game you're in the Star Wars universe. The next you are in The Orient. Another you are in a futuristic world or a generic fantasy setting. Regardless of the setting though or how the characters may appear different they are all largely the same.

This chart sums it up nicely.

xrogaan:
Yeah, I'm waiting for a game master to say: "Okay, you're a group of great warriors and your quest is to save the universe." instead of "You just wake up in a tavern with a hangover, you don't remember much."

That's the difference between bioware and bethesda.

I agree, Bethesda is much better, eight years ago it would have been a pretty brutal argument but no more. And I don't like their games that much :(
I know this was made a while ago, but I'm kind of surprised that one side didn't pick blizzard... you heard me, that's what I think of people.

Firefilm:

doublenix:

It was far from the only debate submitted, and not everyone has professional filming equipment or training you know.

Those people should stay off the internet

I really don't know the answer to this one, they both have their pros and cons. However:

"Your choices affect the outcome in a Bioware game!"
I beg to disagree.

I believe Bethesda gets disqualified for a mid-drink belch and Bioware wins be default.

Not that Bioware needed the help.

newdarkcloud:
I really don't know the answer to this one, they both have their pros and cons. However:

"Your choices affect the outcome in a Bioware game!"
I beg to disagree.

Ha. "Vanilla ending" joke.

OT: I'm to go more with Bethesda on this one though both studios do have their own merits.

Bioware makes immersing stories that pull you in and let you experiment with how things go in it. Their characters are interesting and the decisions you make can not only affect how the you story goes (most of the time. Dragon Age II and Mass Effect 3 really did not show that in their endings) but how the party reacts to you.

Bethesda on the other hand make immersing worlds that can pull you in for 100+ hours and let you experiment with how you want to play. You can make characters that are really skilled with their weapons or somebody with a silver tongue that can talk their way in or out of anything they want. Though the main quests are linear in them, they're more geared towards just moving the player through the world to see the sites and encourage them to explore. To me, that's what role playing is about.

It was good but i was expecting something more casual, like Froot loops or Trix, butts or boobies... damn, that would have been a good debate.

"What if Bioware and Bethesda had a love child, a game with a wide open world and a cohesive story?"

Yeah. That was Fallout before Bethesda got their hands on it...

I'm a bit torn on this one. My biggest issue with Bethesda, aside from bugs, is that the writing tends to feel uninspired and the dialogue forced/faked. The one exception to this rule was New Vegas, but New Vegas wasn't written by Bethesda, it was written by Obsidian. Bioware writing isn't the best, and it is often cliche(as if Bethesda's writing isn't), but I still find it better than Bethesda. However, gameplaywise, I would almost always side with Bethesda. The freedom is what gets me every time. I just don't feel Bioware has anything even comparable to the levels of freedom you feel in a Bethesda title.

As I said, I'm torn.

I'm going to have to say Bethesda won for me. Strict class designation is one of the biggest killers in a game for me as it limits my ways to have fun and games are supposed to be all about entertainment.

It also, funnily enough, makes me believe in the game less when you have to stick to one class. In the real world I can meet someone who loves reading poetry, who's good at math, and who's an awesome rugby player all at once, yet the way some games are designed this kind of heavily differing skill sets is just not "realistic." Though that's not to say I need a game to be truly realistic either, it's just one pet peeve that can make an otherwise great game not as fun for me.

Good job to Reese and Phil. Also good debate over an issue that has no right answer. Personally I like having TOO many options, and yet I have only blown up Megaton once in the many times I've played Fallout 3. I just can't be the bad guy in a video game.

However, coherent plot at the cost of options is a good thing as well. I am still playing Deus Ex: Human Revolution over and over because I love the story and the setting/characters.

The Deadpool:
"What if Bioware and Bethesda had a love child, a game with a wide open world and a cohesive story?"

Yeah. That was Fallout before Bethesda got their hands on it...

I'll be honest and just come out and say it: I saw nothing special or great about the writing in Fallout 1.

Interesting question, but mechanically this didn't feel much like a debate. Rather we got two guys who are firmly entrenched in their opinions, neither of whom making any ground with the other. If you care about story, your choices making any impact in that story whatsoever or deep character arcs you go with Bioware. If you want to be able to go off the rails, do whatever you want and roleplay whatever you want in a pretty sandbox but don't care so much about the story then you go with Bethesda.

Ultimately I think this all points to how necessary Dan (or whoever they have as the referee of the week) is to the NRA debates as well as the idea of actually trying to undermine each other's points for the sake of some overall goal.

Aureliano:
Interesting question, but mechanically this didn't feel much like a debate. Rather we got two guys who are firmly entrenched in their opinions, neither of whom making any ground with the other. If you care about story, your choices making any impact in that story whatsoever or deep character arcs you go with Bioware. If you want to be able to go off the rails, do whatever you want and roleplay whatever you want in a pretty sandbox but don't care so much about the story then you go with Bethesda.

Ultimately I think this all points to how necessary Dan (or whoever they have as the referee of the week) is to the NRA debates as well as the idea of actually trying to undermine each other's points for the sake of some overall goal.

Yay, I am necessary!

Both companies only have two games I love, Kotor1 and Jade Empire from Bioware and Oblivion and Skyrim from Bethesda. Since by my opinion Bioware hasn't made a good game I love since 2005, my vote goes to Bethesda.

Well, as I entered the contest too, I don't know if I can form an unbiased opinion about the debate. But good on them for winning.

As for the topic, I'm gonna have to go with Bethesda. Bioware is great at building universes. You can't deny that the Mass Effect universe is amazing and the world of Baldur's Gate was rich with history. But that's sort of my problem with them. My first few hours with Mass Effect 2 (oh the pain of owning only a PS3) was spent reading a codex, trying to get up to speed with the lore they had created. I never even finished Dragon Age because the lore never grabbed my attention. Other than a plotline that tied directly to my character's history, I just didn't care.

Bethesda wins simply for FallOut New Vegas. Never have I felt so powerful in a video game. Not that the courier is a god or anything, but EVERYTHING you do has some weight on the world as a whole. When I finally beat the game and had all the characters narrate what had happened after the battle at Hoover Dam, I got chills. Such a phenomenal game.

Since Bioware games are genuinely fun, I'll go with Bioware. Skyrim is the only fun I've ever had with a Bathesda game. Morrowind was decent, Oblivion was the most boring experience of my life, and I really like Skyrim, but I have to be in the mood for it. I have to be willing to force the game to engage me as opposed to letting it. Also, Fallout 3 was pretty bland for the most part. The fights were strategic (by shooter standards) and the character interaction had its moments, but otherwise it was just not all that fun. And really, what is Bathesda known for a besides a bunch of open terrain games, Skyrim (which is the same but prettier and with some effort put into the rest of it), and an Oblivion clone within a world they didn't have to come up with themselves.

And let's look at Bioware. Shattered Steel, the first great mech game. Baldur's Gate, a fucking icon of RPG games. Neverwinter Nights, see Baldur's Gate. Mass Effect, the greatest Sci-Fi epic since Star Wars, maybe Dune. Dragon Age: Origins, another epic tale, except medieval this time. Dragon Age II, well that's besides the point! Bioware creates great, engrossing stories, memorable characters, some of the best dialog in gaming, and just plain grand tales in every aspect. Bathesda dumps you in the same repeating grassland and says "run stiffly around"

For the record, I gave Fallout 3 and Oblivion 20 hours of my time each. If a game can't impress me in that time, it either never will, or it's not worth it when it does.

And I forgot to mention KOTOR. Now I just feel stupid. Not that it hurts my argument in any way, but still... EFFING KOTOR

jboking:
I'm a bit torn on this one. My biggest issue with Bethesda, aside from bugs, is that the writing tends to feel uninspired and the dialogue forced/faked. The one exception to this rule was New Vegas, but New Vegas wasn't written by Bethesda, it was written by Obsidian. Bioware writing isn't the best, and it is often cliche(as if Bethesda's writing isn't), but I still find it better than Bethesda. However, gameplaywise, I would almost always side with Bethesda. The freedom is what gets me every time. I just don't feel Bioware has anything even comparable to the levels of freedom you feel in a Bethesda title.

As I said, I'm torn.

I really have to agree with you on this one friend.

BioWare almost always does game stories better than anyone, but its actual gameplay compared to Bethesda? No contest, Bethesda wins in that regard.

This is kind of like picking between pirates and ninja. Personally, I would say go with pirate-ninja, or ninja-pirates. (combine them)

But that isn't really a choice so I will have to go with Bethesda. While BioWare does an unbelievable job at getting me into the stories, getting me to spend dozens of hours in their worlds, I can get myself almost as immersed in Fallout or Skyrim, and not get bored playing for hundreds of hours.

Still. Best case we could get would be making BioWare and Bethesda have that love child.

Captcha: him with her

Hmmm....Who would be the dad, and who would be the mom?

Firefilm:

Aureliano:

Yay, I am necessary!

s
Well of course you're necessary! You've got to have at least one sexy bastard to make a show work :p

I enjoyed this episode. It's pretty much the core of what No Right Answer is about. Two guys, clearly friends, arguing over something nerdy.

I only wish I could have made one for my own. I would've done a threeway debate with my brother and sister as we are triplets. Fun, but fucking finals got in the way.

OT: Despite DA2 and ME3, I'll have to go with Bioware. Bethesda is too unstructured for me, and its stories have never really appealed to me.

JaceArveduin:

Firefilm:

Aureliano:

Yay, I am necessary!

s
Well of course you're necessary! You've got to have at least one sexy bastard to make a show work :p

Oh my gosh you totally won the secret contest of today, which was complement Dan! Yay for you!

Firefilm:

JaceArveduin:

Firefilm:

Yay, I am necessary!

s

Oh my gosh you totally won the secret contest of today, which was complement Dan! Yay for you!

really? sweet! did I win anything?

JaceArveduin:

Firefilm:

JaceArveduin:
s

really? sweet! did I win anything?

Lol, the prize is winning. It's kinda a meta thing. Basically I just like being called a sexy bastard.

Firefilm:

Lol, the prize is winning. It's kinda a meta thing. Basically I just like being called a sexy bastard.

Well damn, I feel like I've been ripped off! I'd retract my earlier statement, but alas, I'm not a liar.

Me and the boyfriend had a hell of a time trying to understand what these two were saying. -_-'

But I vote BioWare. They hurt me bad with Deception and with the ending to Mass Effect 3, but oh how I love the series.

Bethesda Won in my opinion. Not just because I"m a fallout fanboy but the options in many of bethesdas games are so limitless and present so many different situations in which you can handle them differently. I agree bioware has a better story direction, but thats all it is story and some side quests/missions. Never time to dive deep into a fully immersed world and explore all the nooks and crannies.
Also why were you just comparing the 2 biggest franchises by the companies, even though they've had other games that are also rpg?

This debate brought to you by Battlefield Earth.

while i would previously have been torn as to how to respond to this, i have to say that Dragon Age 2 has destroyed any hope i had for bioware...

while it was a reasonable RPG it never felt like it got out of the introduction.. probably due to the narration style. As yahtzee said.. it feels like a holding pattern, like they felt they needed to release something to keep people interested until they could vomit up a real ending (and call it DA3)...

as for bethseda games.. yes, the choices are many, and the lands are huge. and that is what a good RPG should be...

i have GM'd many DnD games (as well as cyberpunk, rifts, shadowrun, VTM and others) and the one thing that all of these games have in common is this: the players will go somewhere or do something that has nothing to do with the plot you spent the last 2 weeks planning.

bethseda games, skyrim in particular, allow the player to do just this. therefore they get my vote. (not that it matters, the interwebz is no democracy. :P)

Currently, I care for neither.

Bioware did make KOTOR, but rest of the games made after were just lacking.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Your account does not have posting rights. If you feel this is in error, please contact an administrator. (ID# 40657)