Jimquisition: The Best Looking Game of This Generation

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

getoffmycloud:
Couldn't agree more Jim I think its a shame that the viva pinata games were never that successful

Viva Pinata had few squeals and a kids TV show on 4kids(BTW it was a great show)

so it did well but it doesn't get talked about much because its a kids game and not its not COD or BF3.

Couldn't agree more. Games like Rayman Origins and Trine 2 look far more impressive and beautiful than a gritty, realistic FPS IMO. Seriously, I was playing Rayman Origins the other day and I couldn't get over how stunning it looked.

As I can't stand the colorful art of some game, I say that I don't think that Viva Pinata is the best looking game for me. I rather say that The Witcher 2 is better looking. Diffrent taste, diffrent strokes.

trollpwner:
Oh, COME ON Jim. You may not be the sharpest knife in the draw, but normally you aren't beaten to what you're saying by extra credits by *this* much. http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/graphics-vs.-aesthetics

See that? Season 2, episode 16. Over 50 weeks ago. 50 weeks! Almost a year. Ab-surd. *sigh* Oh well. Guess the actual content wasn't bad though. Even if extra credits did do it better.

EDIT: look at this! Yahtzee managed this in 2009 http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/extra-punctuation/6372-The-Conduit

Not saying Jim's point isn't relevant, but this really is leaving it late.

Jimothy Sterling:
Why do people think I am in some sort of arms race with Extra Credits?

We cover similar topics. Overlap is inevitable, and I don't really watch their show regularly so I don't know what they cover. In any case, just because one series may have touched on a topic that doesn't automatically disqualify every other series in the world from covering it too.

Seriously, this whole, "oh mah gawd Extra Credits did this" thing is just ... weird.

Well, lets look at it this way. For, (at the very very least), the past few years we have had many game journalists talk about this issue, but it is still a problem.

This would indicate that it warrants revisiting to keep it fresh in the minds of the public.
Just because something was discussed before, that doesn't mean we can't talk about it later if it is still relevant, and it ultimately just means that each time we do talk about issues like this we come closer to a solution.

Ever hear of Crysis?

Imp Emissary:

trollpwner:
Oh, COME ON Jim. You may not be the sharpest knife in the draw, but normally you aren't beaten to what you're saying by extra credits by *this* much. http://www.penny-arcade.com/patv/episode/graphics-vs.-aesthetics

See that? Season 2, episode 16. Over 50 weeks ago. 50 weeks! Almost a year. Ab-surd. *sigh* Oh well. Guess the actual content wasn't bad though. Even if extra credits did do it better.

EDIT: look at this! Yahtzee managed this in 2009 http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/extra-punctuation/6372-The-Conduit

Jimothy Sterling:

We cover similar topics. Overlap is inevitable, and I don't really watch their show regularly so I don't know what they cover. In any case, just because one series may have touched on a topic that doesn't automatically disqualify every other series in the world from covering it too.

Seriously, this whole, "oh mah gawd Extra Credits did this" thing is just ... weird.

Well, lets look at it this way. For, (at the very very least), the past few years we have had many game journalists talk about this issue, but it is still a problem.

This would indicate that it warrants revisiting to keep it fresh in the minds of the public.
Just because something was discussed before, that doesn't mean we can't talk about it later if it is still relevant, and it ultimately just means that each time we do talk about issues like this we come closer to a solution.

Exactly that. What the Hell does "leaving it late" even mean? Where was this deadline I missed? When did this subject become irrelevant? It's a pretty evergreen topic and it's beyond silly to say it's "late" when we're not talking about a current affairs issue.

ForgottenPr0digy:

getoffmycloud:
Couldn't agree more Jim I think its a shame that the viva pinata games were never that successful

Viva Pinata had few squeals and a kids TV show on 4kids(BTW it was a great show)

so it did well but it doesn't get talked about much because its a kids game and not its not COD or BF3.

Well it only got 1 proper sequel wasn't the other one a collection of party games or something?

I wouldn't really say it's a kids game it is like pokemon simple on the surface but quite complicated once you get into it.

Thumbs up for the Rocky shoutout

PsychedelicDiamond:
Hm... i go with Mirrors Edge. It worked with blinding whites and bright neon colours to get a, excuse me, fucking sexy visual design. It's a shame the gameplay was a bit lackluster so there probably won't be a sequel.

I'm gonna back you up on this one. Combines awesome pretty realistic graphics, as well as a really cool aesthetic.

Everything was fantastic about XIII.

EVERYTHING!!

getoffmycloud:

ForgottenPr0digy:

getoffmycloud:

Well it only got 1 proper sequel wasn't the other one a collection of party games or something?

I wouldn't really say it's a kids game it is like pokemon simple on the surface but quite complicated once you get into it.

Viva pinata in 2006
Viva Piņata: Trouble in Paradise 2008
Viva Piņata: Pocket Paradise for the ds in 2007
Viva Piņata: Party Animals 2007
Viva Piņata (TV series) two seasons(52 eps)

so it had one proper sequel like you said. But this franchise has done well maybe if they bring out something new it could help

Jimothy Sterling:

People have to make everything into a war. Can consoles co-exist? Sure, but people can't deal with that. They have to compete!

Now you must climb into a pit with EC and battle it out.

Not a mention of Witcher 2 on the PC , that game has a lot of nice colours and looks awesome without going the uber colourfull cartoon effect... more realistic without going brown, and colourfull without looking like a cartoon ( not that cartoony games are bad, but you dont need to be a cartoon to have colour ).

... Dead Island is also pretty colourfull as well, and doesnt look bad.
I suppose if all you compared was CoD or BF3 with Pinata ( which I cant play , no 360 ) then Pinata does look more interesting.

what was the game with the purple/blue ninja in this episode? I remember playing it when I was younger but can't for the life of me remember what it was called!

Jimothy Sterling:

Imp Emissary:

trollpwner:

Jimothy Sterling:

Exactly that. What the Hell does "leaving it late" even mean? Where was this deadline I missed? When did this subject become irrelevant? It's a pretty evergreen topic and it's beyond silly to say it's "late" when we're not talking about a current affairs issue.

Well, there is one thing that may cause a negative reaction. When a topic has been talked about for a while, one could believe that everything that could be said about it has, and talking about it again will just be going over the same information again. However, I don't think that's the problem here. Even if you just restate information that has already been shared, it doesn't mean you shouldn't talk about, as long as it still has relevance it is worth reminding the public about it, and I believe the issue of games not being very colorful is still important enough to keep people talking about it.

One could also say that some other issues of the day are more important or less talked about, and should be talked about first.
However, that is pretty much determined by a persons on opinion, so really you will always get some people mad at the choice of topics, but ones that have been talked about for a longer period of time have a disadvantage because of this believe.

But hey. Like you say "Get Angry!". If people complain about you talking about this problem, more people will hear about it, and maybe one of those people will fix it. Or not. We'll see.

Captcha: hit the hay

>_> Now we play the waiting game.

How the hell can you have played dark souls and still think what you just said isn't utter complete bullshit?
This game uses color the right way. It has amazing designs.
Everything just falls in place, supports the theme of the game and is actually pretty damn colorful if you just cared to look.

Just having every color of the fucking rainbow on-screen at max saturation is a shitty criteria for what "looks good".

As for "standing the test of time", 3d graphics have obviously grown out of the headache inducing phase. The game has changed man.
Just because old "realistic" games don't hold up today doesn't mean todays "realistic" games won't for the simple fact that we're beyond a resolution of 320x240 now.

This was a bad episode and you should feel bad.

And Journey... and Okami...

Journey almost looks cel-shaded but it isn't. The sand and the sun are gorgeous.

Okami looks like a watercolour painting and that simply cannot look dated even a million years from now.

sorry jim, your wrong, Bastion was the best looking game of this generation.

Its a shame Rare sucks nowadays.

I have always felt that as far as looks go, the "Ratchet and Clank" series is probably among the best looking games this generation.
*okay, can not go to yotube as I am being directed to yootoboos.blogspot. damn scammers.

Though I will admit, Arkham City is freaking beautiful.

I think that Child of Eden will still look pretty damn awesome years from now considering how that game used colors.

Bulletstorm.... It has tons of bloody colour. The sunsets are gorgeous.

Too bad Viva Pinata sucked and it doesn't support 1920x1080 on the PC version. I will agree that it is a pretty game that does look great in HD. You can't play Wind Waker in HD unless you emulate it and I am not sure it's ok to admit to that on this site.

I am guessing though that it looks great in HD.

Sega made a tennis game? I had no idea.

Does he mean graphics as in "aesthetics"? Or graphics as in the fine details. Also, Viva Pinata DOES look very good.

Personally the best looking game that I have played this generation (bear in mind I do have somewhat limited gaming tastes) was Kingdoms of Amalur. Very beautiful landscapes, vibrant colors, no photorealism. It is too bad the gameplay itself was too simplistic and full of samey grindy quests and that the camera angle was mostly pointed at the ground. I would make sure to lift up my character's head just to enjoy the scenery.

Jimothy Sterling:

You do realize this topic has no deadline, right?

if anything its a topic that bares repeating, several more times if need be.
but is see the 'gray/brown' problem as a lot worse then it probably is.

Jimothy Sterling:
The Best Looking Game of This Generation

The Jimquisition takes a break from discussing consumer shenanigans to focus a little on the games themselves.

Watch Video

First of all, why hasn't this vid hit the front page yet? I was waiting this morning and finally just check the video section and there it was. It's now 11:36 PST, by the way.

Anyway, on to the video.

I usually agree with you, Jim, but this week I found your title was most likely worded to garner extra clicks and controversy. You'd better serve your subject matter if the title was "Best Subjectively Aesthetically Pleasing Game of This Generation".

Personally, I haven't played Viva Pinata, and while the graphics probably are lovely, and yes they are quite colourful, is that the measuring stick? Is the function of having the "best" looking game to showcase an HD TV? I don't play games with the intention of drooling over the resolution of my TV. The tv is there to display the graphics. The graphics are not there to justify the TV.

I feel like your focus on the "brown shooter" genre discounts a lot of other games and genres simply to make your point. There's a bunch of games that I might point out as being some of the best of the generation, but those would just be my opinion, as is your choice. I think Dark Souls is excellent looking, with lots of colourful environments and enemies. Yakuza 3 & 4 are both amazing looking, with detailed worlds populated by dozens and dozens of NPCs. GTA4 was simply amazing looking I thought. I spent literally hours just driving around the city marvelling at the weather change, watching the day pass as I played. What about We Love Katamari?

I can't say you're wrong in your choice, but I do feel that the game you've chosen is a highly personal and subjective choice and you probably won't find a lot of support from the rank and file of gamers.

Jimothy Sterling:

I remember you saying this back on Podtoid years ago Before Extra Credits ever existed.

OT: I guess you could say the same thing of the even older consoles as well: It's the reason why Sonic the Hedgehog and Super Mario World still look fantastic today, but compare it to say, a game with slightly more different graphics (I'll go with Toy Story on SNES), and though it had unique graphics to suit the movie's look itself, it's not a very good looking game today.

Ok, maybe bad example, but I can see what you are talking about. Also, Not trying to butter your muffin, but a good video as well.

Jimothy Sterling:

As you said, overlap is inevitable, but your styles are so similar, and theirs is simply more memorable, what with the pitched voice and funny pictures. Sure, you've had your fair share of great episodes, but those were mostly back when you were on youtube/destructoid, doing off-the-cuff rants about pretty current events. Not that your show is now bad, but it's just lost the fresh feeling and springy presentation of the previous "season".

It's also why Timesplitters Future Perfect still looks awesome.

Always need a way to bring up Timesplitters...

Personally I have to give a shout out to Halo Reach for not falling into the traps set by it's previous titles. It didn't have the ass-load of bloom that Halo 3 had or nearly as many of the bland corridors from the original and maintained the beautiful colour coding of enemies and vehicles and crazy alien tech that is its best feature in my opinion.

Also it's paired with being a good game with something for everyone... except for a remotely interesting plot.

Games that try to look realistic age very poorly. Final Fantasy X looks relatively worse than Final Fantasy VII compared to today's standards.

A stylized look (ala Diablo II, Brood War, Icewind Dale, The Witcher, etc.) will always look better to me than Halo or Call of Duty. Ten years from now those photo realistic shooters will looks like crap, but Diablo II will still have its charm.

More to the point of the video, I think others have mentioned Mirror's Edge, and I happen to agree with that. I'd also like to throw in Bioshock, Starcraft II, Torchlight and motherfuckin' Titan Quest in that top five. :P

Right on with mentioning The Wind Waker. That was the first game that popped into my head when you started talking about cel shaded games from last gen. Amazing game that still LOOKS amazing too. It's just a shame that so many people wrote it off because "it looks kiddie" and other stupid nonsense.

trollpwner:
Oh, COME ON Jim. You may not be the sharpest knife in the draw, but normally you aren't beaten to what you're saying by extra credits by *this* much. link removed

Your point, however, is extremely irrelevant. Who really gives a fuck about how many others said it before Jim, and when exactly before him they said it?! This is still worth talking about, especially when the photorealistic style is still just as popular today as it was back in 2009. Plus, not everyone watches mindless drek like Extra Credits anyway, so it's important for people who's content is actually worth consuming to bring it up every now and then so that people can be reminded of it.

Long story short, there's more to life than being "FIRST!" on the Internet.

trollpwner:
They are intellectuals speaking on the gaming industry. So are you. Comparison is natural and inevitable, whether you like it or not. Ditto for Yahtzee.

Bwahahahaha, Extra Credits guys are intellectuals. Funniest shit I've heard all day. Nobody who thinks Gears of War is a first person shooter is an intellectual.

I actually think it's Rayman Origins, but that was made by Jim's most EEEEEEEVIL company.

A Windwaker you are so awesome. I wonder why nobody seems to like you :( .
And It's true what Mr. Sterling says because if you look at the Golden Age of gaming (the SNES era that is at least for me) you can still play games like Chrono Trigger or Final Fantasy 6 and fall in love with the graphics.

One thing Mr. Sterling missed however is to mention the impact of the polygon count on realistic looking games. The polygon count goes up every generation and render more realistic looking characters. On characters that aim at a realistic appearance that shows and make the previous generation look some what horrible. With less realistic Characters you don't have this problem because they not aim at realism.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here