E3: Lego Lord of the Rings

Pages 1 2 NEXT

E3: Lego Lord of the Rings

I will take the Ring to Mordor!

Read Full Article

Oh deary me...
Lego, we know that everyone loves you, but this...
This is just far too silly, I don't know if I could buy this game, lest I kill myself from bouts of laughter. I mean, yeah it will be fun, but in the end I will be in a coffin because I've choked on my own air.

the Lego games are always great. i think this one though is the only one with dialogue

Aw, man. I'm not a fan of the voiced Lego figures.

I tried Lego Star Wars on a whim way back, and absolutely loved it for its gameplay and charming handling of the story. And we see how the Lego Star Wars property has kind of become its own little "mini-franchise" because of that charm. It didn't feel like a cheap tie-in, but rather a refreshing new take on a beloved property.

I think they could have done the same with Lord of the Rings, but the decision to add it the voices already changes the feel. A lot. Though I expect the gameplay to be fun (like the Star Wars and Pirates of the Caribbean games), I think this choice removes a lot of the charm...

Also, did not enjoy the Batman or Harry Potter games. Still not 100% sure why.

I think adding voices is worth it just to see lego versions of "You shall not pass!" and "They have a cave troll".

One does not simply build in Legordor.

Watching Lego men talk looks... odd.

Take my money. Take it!

Voice acting in a Lego game? This could go either way. I look forward to the possibilities though.

Haha my BF is going to freak when he sees this.

As a non-gamer, Lego games are one of the few he gets excited about, and Lord of the Rings is his favourite franchise.

I'm throwing my money at the screen but nothing's happening. D:

Seriously though, it was only a matter of time till they made this. The fact that the previous Lego games were all ludicrously good fun gives me every faith that they can pull this off. While it would have been nice to see if they could pull it off without the voice acting, after watching the trailer I find it definitely adds to it.

Oh fine, I'll get it!

I don't think I can put into words how excited I am for this :D

My excitement level just shot through the roof and it orbiting somewhere around Beetlejuice...yes PLEASE!!!

While I didn't enjoy the Lego Harry Potter and didn't bother with Batman or Pirates, I think that this one I might pick up. Looks like it might be fun.

There is not a fan squeal loud enough in the entire universe to do this justice.

This is like the most overused image ever, but...

I have been awaiting this announcement for a long, long time. Before now, it was all just wishful thinking and rumors, but here we are. Take me. I am ready.

This will be fun to play with my sweetie - maybe this time he will actually pay attention to the greatness that is LOTR :)

The 'ring' is more like a bracelet. Unless maybe you give it to the cave troll.

Luckily, "they have a cave troll"

ok, I'm done trolling here.

My monies....take them!!

This looks like lots of fun, though I'm not sure about the voices. I always really liked the pantomiming of the other games, as it added to the Lego charm. But we'll see.

Now I'm confused. Does this mean we're finally going to get actual Lego Lord of the Rings sets too? They've never done a game that they didn't have kits for already.

KidTheFat:
Now I'm confused. Does this mean we're finally going to get actual Lego Lord of the Rings sets too? They've never done a game that they didn't have kits for already.

The sets are being released this summer.

OT: I hope there's an option to turn the voice track off or they make much greater use of the actors then just pulling lines from the film audio track and shoving them in game like the trailer does.

LEGO game? Check.
LOTR game? Check.

Motherduckin' buyin' this!

Richardness:
My excitement level just shot through the roof and it orbiting somewhere around Beetlejuice...yes PLEASE!!!

Lego Beetlejuice, anyone? I know, you're talking about the star, but still...could be at least interesting.

OT: I absolutely loved the Lego Star Wars and Batman games. Then again, I'd probably buy a pile of horseshit if you put a bat-symbol on it. Just always had a weakness for all things Dark Knight. I'm not sure how I feel about the voices, though. I'll have to see a little more of it before I decide on this one. Could be fun, but I'd DEFINITELY miss the pantomiming. That was a major part of the charm in the others.

Steve Butts:
The game features the full Fellowship, and presumably several unlockable characters, and all the voices are provided by the cast from the film.

I read this and had a full-on nerdgasm.

Then I watched the video and now... I'm not so sure.

However my biggest surprise is that they managed to get the entire voice cast from the films. I mean not even War in the North could manage that.

Nami nom noms:
Haha my BF is going to freak when he sees this.

As a non-gamer, Lego games are one of the few he gets excited about, and Lord of the Rings is his favourite franchise.

And quite rightly so. Travellers Tales have taken some of my most favourite franchises and made some awesome games out of them. I'm always excited to see a Lego adaptation of a franchise because I know I'll finally get to play a GOOD game based on it.

Aerosteam 1908:

Not really, in my opinion at least, I've seen it happen in the Lego Island PC game, the Lego Ninjago cartoon on CN, and some of the comics on the Lego Magazines in the past.

it's rare, yes, but not inheard of.

Looks like Sean Bean will finally be able to cross "die as a LEGO figurine" from the list-of-fictional-deaths-Sean Bean-died.

I don't want the game, I just want the toys.

Don't judge me >.<

Misterian:

Aerosteam 1908:

Not really, in my opinion at least, I've seen it happen in the Lego Island PC game, the Lego Ninjago cartoon on CN, and some of the comics on the Lego Magazines in the past.

Ah yes, I remember playing Lego Island 2. It's just playing so many Lego games where they don't talk and just gasp or growl makes talking seem unfamiliar now. And I think I read somewhere that Lego Batman 2 would have voiced characters too.

I think this is a wonderful fit, but at the same time, part of me wishes they'd give the Lego games a break just for a bit. Especially given that LSWIII was not as well-received.

Aerosteam 1908:

Misterian:

Aerosteam 1908:

Ah yes, I remember playing Lego Island 2. It's just playing so many Lego games where they don't talk and just gasp or growl makes talking seem unfamiliar now. And I think I read somewhere that Lego Batman 2 would have voiced characters too.

Mark Hamil doing a Lego Joker?

I would love to see that (I know he doesn't do the voice anymore but they could use some old voice clips or something.)

I'm not sure how I feel about actual voiced minifigs. I might check it out.

Never, in all the world, has there been something so exciting. I just fansquealed so hard I choked. Why, why, why can't I already order this??

I do wish they would have taken a bit more book-centric look at the LOTR saga, with Tom Bombadil, Barrow Wights and the like... there have been a ton of (mediocre-to-great) LOTR-movie inspired games and especially with some like a Lego imagining (much like Harry Potter, which in some cases was more book-adherent and complex compared to the movies) it could really benefit from having new content in the way of characters and actions from the written trilogy that weren't in the film trilogy. Imagine a Glorfindel segment which is basically canon "God Mode"?

If they're going to go for the films, I hope at very least they expand beyond them a bit (as Harry Potter's lego saga did) and use the Extended Editions for the movie-based content sources. I really hope there will be no shortage of content if the draw properly from the books and EE movies, and that there will be both cooperative and competitive multiplayer. Even more so, I hope to see them released on PC concurrent with consoles, with the PC version being the "premiere" in terms of content and whatnot compared to a slaggish port. Thankfully the Lego series hasn't been about "exclusive" DLC, be it Day 1, retailer/pre-order only, special editions etc... but I don't want them to start now!

If it all goes well I'll certainly pick it up on PC for some great fun!

KidTheFat:

Lego Balrog.

Lego Mines Of Moria Set.

Lego Gondor/Rohan/Isengaurd/Shire/Rivendel/Mirkwood/Wherever else sets.

Lego Mother fucking Ring Wraiths.

GET ME THESE NOW!

muffinatorXII:
the Lego games are always great. i think this one though is the only one with dialogue

Actually, I believe this is the route they will be going with for future Lego games. I watched an interview with one of the creators of the Lego Batman sequel and they said there would be voice acting.

Motherfucking Sean Bean!

Why didn't this game come out when I was a kid?

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here