Trailers: XCOM: Enemy Unknown - E3 Trailer

XCOM: Enemy Unknown - E3 Trailer

Aliens invade and we're pretty much screwed.

Watch Video

Um- I appreciate the difference in genre and all but resemblance to a bombastic gears of war clone is an accident right? Right?

Weird, but this trailer has reduced my interest in the game considerably. The power of marketing I guess.

This game damn well better have a tutorial of some sort. I gave up on the original because I had no clue what I was supposed to be doing even after a good half hour of experimentation.

P.S. Thanks

hell yeah!
Psychonic soldiers.

but i fear they have forgotten destructable enviroment like in the first game.

UnderGlass:
Um- I appreciate the difference in genre and all but resemblance to a bombastic gears of war clone is an accident right? Right?

Weird but this trailer has reduced my interest in the game considerably. The power of marketing I guess.

right. do not worry. it is a strategy game

rhizhim:
hell yeah!
Psychonic soldiers.

They havent, > http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uHHmTSDCvA @1:55 they demonstrate taking out a wall with a rocket launcher. The destruction isn't physics based though, it's tile based, so no taking down buildings D:

Lever:

rhizhim:
hell yeah!
Psychonic soldiers.

They havent, >

@1:55 they demonstrate taking out a wall with a rocket launcher. The destruction isn't physics based though, it's tile based, so no taking down buildings D:

on the bright side we do not have to fight against geometric figures like a 3rd grader
fear my volume! and pray that irregular prism doesnt show up!

Hey man, don't be too hard on that rectangular solid, it can't help being what it is.

To be serious though, when I first saw the "black goo" I was kinda interested, it seemed that they were going to use elements from XCOM Apocalypse. Then came the prism... you know that people are out of ideas when basic geometry becomes a terrifying new horror... that or you're in High School...

Covarr:
This game damn well better have a tutorial of some sort. I gave up on the original because I had no clue what I was supposed to be doing even after a good half hour of experimentation.

P.S. Thanks

They do apparantly it's around 2 hours in length so that should help get a grasp on the basics.

I am really hyped up for this game! The trailer doesn't tell me much we didn't already know and it seems like it was made to hype up the Cod lovers but as long as the actual game stays true(ish) to the original I will be chuffed!

Oh my god. It looks like it could be an X-Com game.

rhizhim:
hell yeah!
Psychonic soldiers.

UnderGlass:

Weird but this trailer has reduced my interest in the game considerably. The power of marketing I guess.

right. do not worry. it is a strategy game

Sure, I mean I've been following the game as well (with cautious optimism) but... I don't know, I guess it's a tone thing. Don't get me wrong. I do not expect it to slavishly adhere to the old game's design, but X-COM had a particular tone and what I just saw in that trailer was not it. I kind of feel that it was trying to sell the game to a different audience.

Also - and this is entirely objective I know - but before I was at worst ambivalent to the soldier designs. Now I actively dislike the art style of Gruff McBuffsky soldier drones waddling out into the battlefield with their poor, tiny little heads sandwiched between oversized, mutant shoulders. Again, it's a tone thing. The game just has to work harder now for me to like it. We'll see. I'm sure it looks great to everyone else.

CD-R:
Oh my god. It looks like it could be an X-Com game.

Shhh. You'll jinx it.

Looks pretty good to me!
I can forgive the slightly GOW look as long as it doesn't play like GOW. This one is going to mop the floor with the other one.

With regards to 2K Marin's project...while I'm still adamant that its connection with XCOM is tenuous at best, they -are- trying to do their own thing with it:

People have had complaints about samey grey/brown shooters for a while now. Well there you go. Maybe it won't be a good game, maybe it's not an XCOM game, but at least they're trying something slightly different.

I've said for awhile that all they really had to do was a graphics and audio update to the original. Those 2 aspects were the only things that made the original feel antiquated. I know that a direct upgrade sounds a bit too fanboy-ish, but the original's gameplay mechanics still hold up today.

O.T: This looks promising, but the video game gods dislike premature praise. Therefore, I'll say that it's complete garbage and will ultimately fail. There, that should appease them.

Looks good to me. I dig the action figure look and the b-movie "Invasion!" vibe. Hopefully all the Xenowar I've been playing will help keep my ass from getting kicked too hard.

Mcoffey:
Looks good to me. I dig the action figure look and the b-movie "Invasion!" vibe. Hopefully all the Xenowar I've been playing will help keep my ass from getting kicked too hard.

If they do it right... then no, it won't help at all, at least on max difficulty :D

I'm really looking forward to this, I'm really hoping that they're willing to make the game truly unforgiving on the harder difficulty levels.

double post

UnderGlass:

first video i saw.. "hmm this looks interesting".. trailer video "hmm oh look my interest is evaporating". the trailer seems designed to bring in the cod/battlefield/gears of war console crowd.

while i was optomistic about it, a strategy game thats designed for consoles? unless they put in a serious amount of work either the pc version or the console version will suffer badly and from the wide appeal trailer i suspect its going to be another crappy x-com sequel.

please make me be wrong

Yep, they can just scrap development of their big, dumb, glossy, mindless FPS now. It doesn't stand a chance.

This looks awesome. That said the real selling point for this has been the development explanations on YouTube that show just how easily people can die, how combat is fairly similar to the original and that there will be chryssalids. The fact that they're shrinking the squad size down from 12 for the sky ranger and 16 for the avenger to between 4 and 6. So you'll have about a third as many guys which means that they're will most likely be slightly fewer bullshit deaths, but that the deaths will matter more when they happen.

Also for anyone complaining that it looks super easy compared to the original please remember:

1. There will be an iron man mode so you can prove that you never lost.
2. Squad deaths will still be permanent and with the new leveling system they will matter even more than in the original.
3. Psionics clearly need to be fixed because lord knows those are broken in the original.

Here's a link for the video showing them playing through a sample level:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gWU9wxlIxig&list=PL73782C9542830CA6&index=34&feature=plpp_video

Here's a video where they talk about the tutorial and end game content:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jmrob4oHhZk&list=PL73782C9542830CA6&index=35&feature=plpp_video

If you don't think this is true to the original here's a video series of someone doing an iron man for the entire original game complete with wonderful narration:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOlmDcKr_0U&feature=plcp

Squad of 4, upgradable to 6... that's all I have to say.

Draconalis:

Yep, but that also means that you don't have to keep jumping around the map as your squad will most likely move as a single unit rather than 3 or 4 completely separate units that only interact for the purpose of reinforcing dead members or mind control spam which was broken from the get go. The only major downside is that it also means that every mission won't involve at least one death... then again so did the original if you played it right and got lucky with your reaction fire (unless Ethereals and Sectoid commanders showed before you got psionics because then death was a given).

Capthca: Red Herring... it is disturbing at times.

I've never played a single X-COM game in my life, so forgive my ignorance:

Were the other games in the series so explosion heavy? I mean, this is a remake of the first one, right?

Scrythe:
I've never played a single X-COM game in my life, so forgive my ignorance:

Were the other games in the series so explosion heavy? I mean, this is a remake of the first one, right?

Yep, this is from the play through video showing the events leading up to the player deciding to go with high explosives.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZOlmDcKr_0U&feature=plcp&t=18m35s

chimeracreator:

Yep, but that also means that you don't have to keep jumping around the map as your squad will most likely move as a single unit rather than 3 or 4 completely separate units that only interact for the purpose of reinforcing dead members or mind control spam which was broken from the get go.

But... I LIKE those things you're listing as some sort of flaw. Those are my pros when I talk about the original X-Com.

Draconalis:

Yeah...that's a concern. No endgame battles of attrition against Alien Bases, it's gonna be a lot more tactical.

Draconalis:

chimeracreator:

Yep, but that also means that you don't have to keep jumping around the map as your squad will most likely move as a single unit rather than 3 or 4 completely separate units that only interact for the purpose of reinforcing dead members or mind control spam which was broken from the get go.

But... I LIKE those things you're listing as some sort of flaw. Those are my pros when I talk about the original X-Com.

While it can be fun at times, but once you get five months into the game and are fighting your tenth ship full of Mutons it gets a bit old because while it does make the battles larger in scope it also makes them take even longer and when you are doing the same thing again and again that isn't tight game play. If you don't believe me watch the let's play I posted or replay it as it's on Steam. :)

chimeracreator:
If you don't believe me watch the let's play I posted or replay it as it's on Steam. :)

Watching it isn't going to have the same effect, and I already bought it years ago off some other site. Thus, I have played it this millennium. I think the last time I loaded it up was about 2 months ago.

Draconalis:

chimeracreator:
If you don't believe me watch the let's play I posted or replay it as it's on Steam. :)

Watching it isn't going to have the same effect, and I already bought it years ago off some other site. Thus, I have played it this millennium. I think the last time I loaded it up was about 2 months ago.

In that case I stand corrected and nostalgia setting in. :)

Screw it. I like this. I'm eager to play it. I think it perfectly captures the desperate "us vs. them" feel that the original XCom hilariously failed to do. Hopefully the gameplay is superior as well, though its hard to beat three hours of watching laser shots miss.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here