E3 Preview: South Park: The Stick of Truth

E3 Preview: South Park: The Stick of Truth

You have chosen the name "Douchebag." Is that correct?

Read Full Article

It's always nice to see talented people work on something that just seems like an inherently bad idea. The outcome is always interesting. It's not necessarily _good_ but it's always interesting.

Dear SEGA: See this? An adaptation to RPG done well - exactly the opposite of Sonic Chronicles: The Dark Brotherhood. If for some reason you ever get the urge to make another Sonic RPG, remember that Obsidian knows what they're doing, whereas BioWare clearly didn't. Choose your alliances carefully.

P.S. Thanks

Maybe this time Obsidian can get the success they deserve. I'm worried that the turn-based combat will scare off the action/twitch junkies that make up the bulk of the market, but as long as they pay first, who care's if they're disappointed?

South Park + RPG. I gotta play it just to see how it pans out.

I do like how it looks like it's taken directly from the show, compared to the old 3D models like in the N64 game. That and being able to explore the town, which if I recall was one of the challenges that Stone and Parker had to face with this game since they never thought about it.

Excellent adaptation. Game play may be crap, but bonus points for making it look like an episode of south park.

I'm legitimately excited for this. I've always been a fan of South Park but games based on South Park have always been lacking in quality. The idea that I can be a kid interacting with Cartman, Stan, Kyle and Kenny while spending time exploring the town has me really excited. An RPG seems like a smart move and Obsidian is the right choice. It looks just like South Park, hopefully the humor will come through in this game, which I expect it will since Trey and Matt both appear to be very invested in this game, especially since they are gamers themselves.

this could acctually be really good!!

I may be bought easily, but Jesus coming down with a carbine and shitty shushi guy in badass samaurai armor is just something I gotta see.

This looks... amusing. What platforms will it be ported to?

If it comes to X-box they'll definitely be getting my Jew Gold :P

Looks great. You can tell Matt and Trey are directly involved, and I like that it harkens back to the early days of the show when it mostly revolved around the oddities of South Park and its citizens, rather than "popular event of the week".

I hate turnbased combat, and I've never been fond of Obsidian, but damn it do I like South Park, so I will be giving this a chance. It looks really fun/funny.

One of the 2013 games I'm most excited for. I've been with Trey Parker and Matt Stone from the beginning and this looks right up my alley. Love a good turn based RPG. Can't wait.

Ok. That's it. I'm going to freeze myself until next year. Someone come thaw me out when this game hits. Anyone have a message for me to give the otters?

my two favourite things combined, obsidian game and south park.. I can barely wait.

My cousin will be all over this (HUGE South Park nerd) I am cautiously optimistic, my interest in South Park has been waning as of late. Still, amusing to know this is what Obsidian is working on after the style of games they made recently (Alpha Protocol, Fallout: New Vegas)

This... actually looks like fun! I might wanna give it a shot... now what platforms is it for?

HOLY F*CKING SHIT INDEED! I loved the tower defence game, it was flawed but funny. This could be hilarious.

TheBlueRabbit:
Ok. That's it. I'm going to freeze myself until next year. Someone come thaw me out when this game hits. Anyone have a message for me to give the otters?

But...you told me NOT to freeze you on the phone just now?
OT: I'll pick this up I like Obsidian and I like southpark.
Plus I like seeing Jesus with an M4.

My brother said they already mapped out the town in that one PS1 game that was an FPS about turkeys.

ProtoChimp:
My brother said they already mapped out the town in that one PS1 game that was an FPS about turkeys.

I think the game devs mapped that out, not the actual creators of the show, I think I read an article somewhere about how Matt & Trey never had any real involvement in their games before, they had just allowed devs to use the IP. Also read in the same place that Matt & Trey are huge RPG fans, so I have high hopes for this

Giant Clyde?! I'm sold!

Captcha is "Cloud Nine." Well yes, that about describes my mood.

I'm always willing to give Obsidian a chance. Not a big South Park fan...but...Obsidian!

Even if you're not a great fan of South Park, this game is about as faithful to the humor, irreverence, and tone of the show as any licensed game I've ever seen.

This is what got me laughing. If you're not a fan of the show (raises hand) how does it being faithful to the show make me give a care?

I love South Park and I love me some turn based combat.

This shall be awesome!

This looks really interesting, actually. Some of the best episodes of the show were about the kids just being kids and doing crazy stuff. The Ninja weapons episode, the video tape RPG episode etc.. So I think, style- (including graphics) and story-wise this is an excellent idea, like a playable, extended episode. I'm going to keep an eye out for this for sure.

Also, awesome Professor Chaos attack in that trailer!

Ahahaha, that looks amazing! Like an episode of the show turned into a game, it's perfect. I am definitely playing this.

SnakeoilSage:

Even if you're not a great fan of South Park, this game is about as faithful to the humor, irreverence, and tone of the show as any licensed game I've ever seen.

This is what got me laughing. If you're not a fan of the show (raises hand) how does it being faithful to the show make me give a care?

I think its just pointing out that even if you're not interested in this game, its a step in the right direction for licensed games. It shows (or will potentially show) that it is possible to make a TV/movie/book tie in game which doesn't suck and doesn't deviate greatly from the source material.

I don't think its necessarily the first game to do this, but the general belief is that tie-in/licensed games suck.

Let's see. Turn based RPG by Obsidian? Fuck yeah! It could be about about zombies and take place entirely in sewers and I'd still play this.

Oh and also south park. That's cool I geuss. Never been a huge fan or anything.

I don't like Southpark, but I have to buy this game.

Thoric485:
Looks great. You can tell Matt and Trey are directly involved, and I like that it harkens back to the early days of the show when it mostly revolved around the oddities of South Park and its citizens, rather than "popular event of the week".

Or that whole season (11?) that was nothing but - admittedly funny - movie parodies.

OT: I really, really want this game. I love an RPG. I love turn-based combat (although throwing in QTE-style things really annoys me, like the limit breaks in FFX). I love the humour of South Park.

The computer I'm on won't open the video, so can anyone tell me anything regarding the gameplay? IE will the non-combat bits just involve moving between fights, or level grinding in the wilderness? Are we called upon to make choices and dictate the flow of the story, or is it linear?

this looks pretty much like the best thing ever.

things I'm really hoping will be included:
-Randy's WoW character
-A summon spell for MINTBERRY CRUNCH!!
-Atheist Otters

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook