Trailers: The Lord of the Rings Online: Riders of Rohan - E3 Trailer

Bah, probably another pack of locations none of which are available unless you have a subscription. That's what bugs me about Turbine games - their "free-to-play" game are more like demo-versions where you have access to about 10% of the game content while you play without a subscription. Yeah, sure, you can get Turbine points and unlock certain parts of the game, but it takes a lifetime of grinding the points in order to get you anything worth getting.

Big Phil:
Bah, probably another pack of locations none of which are available unless you have a subscription. That's what bugs me about Turbine games - their "free-to-play" game are more like demo-versions where you have access to about 10% of the game content while you play without a subscription. Yeah, sure, you can get Turbine points and unlock certain parts of the game, but it takes a lifetime of grinding the points in order to get you anything worth getting.

That's generally how all F2P games work.

Mumorpuger:

Star Trek Online let me get to level 50 without limiting access to vital game content like certain levelup aspects or locations. LOTRO, on the other hand, got me stuck at level 30 without a single place left to go or a single quest left to complete without paying for it and this not including the fact that it blocks access to talents (if I'm not mistaken and that's what those perks are called in LOTRO).

All I'm saying is that a certain balance between the actual free content and the one accessible only to subscribers needs to be found. You don't give everything for free (otherwise you'd get no money for it), but don't hack off 90% of the game's content to be served only to subscribers either. This applies only to the games which pose themselves as "F2P", certainly.

Big Phil:

Mumorpuger:

Star Trek Online let me get to level 50 without limiting access to vital game content like certain levelup aspects or locations. LOTRO, on the other hand, got me stuck at level 30 without a single place left to go or a single quest left to complete without paying for it and this not including the fact that it blocks access to talents (if I'm not mistaken and that's what those perks are called in LOTRO).

All I'm saying is that a certain balance between the actual free content and the one accessible only to subscribers needs to be found. You don't give everything for free (otherwise you'd get no money for it), but don't hack off 90% of the game's content to be served only to subscribers either. This applies only to the games which pose themselves as "F2P", certainly.

You can go there, you can do all of the Epic Questline for free. It's not easy, and is grindy as hell, but you can do it. I'm not sure about STO, but in LotRO you can just go and do deeds to get the points to unlock other bits of content, though subbing for a month is insanely cost efficient for a F2P person. And that 90% sounds off, level 30 is currently just under halfway through the game, level wise, and you can go to all of the locations, you just don't get quests. They've even added in Tasks to help, not a lot, but some. And it doesn't block access to your traits, it just only lets you have a couple and then you have to unlock them. It is, indeed, a pain, but they aren't required unless you want to raid, in which case you need the quest packs anyway.

You aren't locked there, it's just not easy to level without quests. And, as I mentioned, you can do some deeds, making your character stronger in the process, and use the points to unlock another quest pack.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here