E3 Preview: Dishonored

E3 Preview: Dishonored

This game of supernatural assassination is BioShock by way of Assassin's Creed.

Read Full Article

And so another game to add to my 'must buy' for the end of the year.

Along with Hitman, and Assassins Creed 3. There's a definite theme here.

This game has been slowly receiving more and more of my attention, and it's starting to steadily climb up my 'must try' list. Hopefully it lives up to first impressions.

Heheh, fish possession.

While this game sounds pretty darn cool and I'll certainly be buying it, I have to say I'm ever so slightly turned off by all the abilities it will give the player.

I suspect it will end like Arkham City, where I have to handicap myself in order to get some excitement out of the stealth mechanics.

Some assurances I will need:

_It's not afraid to let you die.
_Boss fights NOT outsourced.
_No End-o-tron 5000.

WaysideMaze:
And so another game to add to my 'must buy' for the end of the year.

Along with Hitman, and Assassins Creed 3. There's a definite theme here.

Don't worry, it's not indicative of anything, not unless you've also played WoW, in which case I'd advise staying faaaaaaaar away from Summer camps.

You can be a fish?
GOTY right here folks!
I will proberly get this when it's out (As opposed to before it's out)

I've always been oddly attracted to games that allow me to possess people/fish. I'm looking forward to it.

Definitely on my watchlist!

I hope it turns out great so it encourages publishers to fund new IPs (even though it's very easy to trace its inspirations in this case). I mean, so far I find this year's E3 has a very "more of the same" flavour.

This should be on everyone's MUST BUY RIGHT BLOODY NOW list.

Immersive Sims need to come back for good.

You're completely right. It's the one thing this game seems to be missing at the moment. Some kind of general theme or issue to explore: Deus Ex had technology vs humanity and Bioshock had the whole objectivism/power/free will thing going on.

This, bioshock infinite, and x-com (rts) are the only games I'm interested in from E3. I really want Dishonored to be good.

This game sounds almost too good to be true.
Freakin' fish possession!
Yeah, take my money. This I've got to see.

DVS BSTrD:

_No End-o-tron 5000.

1.) Everyone who's played it has said that it's very difficult and that you die in just a couple hits from enemies.

2.) no word on boss fights, but if they're there, they definitely aren't outsourced (ha ha)

3.) They've said that there are many different endings, and all are chosen invisibly by your actions throughout the game. It's not going to be some "in-your-face" thing.

In fact, it's even less of a push-button ending than the original Deus Ex, since only the last few mission effected the outcome in that.

ResonanceGames:

DVS BSTrD:

_No End-o-tron 5000.

1.) Everyone who's played it has said that it's very difficult and that you die in just a couple hits from enemies.

2.) no word on boss fights, but if they're there, they definitely aren't outsourced (ha ha)

3.) They've said that there are many different endings, and all are chosen invisibly by your actions throughout the game. It's not going to be some "in-your-face" thing.

In fact, it's even less of a push-button ending than the original Deus Ex, since only the last few mission effected the outcome in that.

Thank you, this game is now officially on my list.

latenightapplepie:
You're completely right. It's the one thing this game seems to be missing at the moment. Some kind of general theme or issue to explore: Deus Ex had technology vs humanity and Bioshock had the whole objectivism/power/free will thing going on.

There's a whiff of a Faustian pact, but since they've revealed so little about the plot other than the very basic set up, it's hard to tell if that'll come to be the central theme or if it'll be something else.

Woodsey:

There's a whiff of a Faustian pact, but since they've revealed so little about the plot other than the very basic set up, it's hard to tell if that'll come to be the central theme or if it'll be something else.

Ah yes, that's right, in the first trailer, there's that mysterious fellow who visits Corvo in prison, seems to grant him his abilities and burns a mark on the back of his hand, isn't there?

I hope the game makes something of that, because it's intriguing. I'd hate to see such a cool setting go to waste on a mediocre narrative.

When there was nothing more than a trailer this looked like it could go either way but now it sounds awesome. Looking up who the devs are... someone and I never heard of and...

All I read in the article is "awesome, awesome, awesome, you will buy this game, awesome, awesome and steampunk."

I did read the article correctly? Didn't I?

Crazy Zaul:
When there was nothing more than a trailer this looked like it could go either way but now it sounds awesome. Looking up who the devs are... someone and I never heard of and...

Why does it matter that Bethesda is publishing it.

latenightapplepie:

Woodsey:

Ah yes, that's right, in the first trailer, there's that mysterious fellow who visits Corvo in prison, seems to grant him his abilities and burns a mark on the back of his hand, isn't there?

I hope the game makes something of that, because it's intriguing. I'd hate to see such a cool setting go to waste on a mediocre narrative.

They talk a little bit about him in this.

So far this game is the only out of E3 that is catching my eye.

I will definitely be getting this one.

Dishonored? more like... This-I-need... Dis-(h)I-nee(ore)d

wow, that was the painful pun i've ever made.

Stilt Police!

Woodsey:
This should be on everyone's MUST BUY RIGHT BLOODY NOW list.

Immersive Sims need to come back for good.

It is on my I want it now list. I can't wait for Dishonored. It looks really good. I hope they make a collector's edition for it because I would buy it in a second.

There are so many ways to get in and out of the place. You could walk in the front door, sneak in a side window, teleport on top of the roof, or even project your body into a nearby fish and swim through the sewers before emerging in the spaces beneath the bathhouse. Your dark vision power will let you see enemies on the other side of walls, and even highlight their vision cones so you can tell when and where you're able to sneak by guards. Sleep darts can put sentries to sleep, while stealthy pick pocketing can help you get the keys you need to access restricted areas.

Oh my, I think I just had an orgasm. And it's steampunk too? Who do I have to sleep with to get this sooner?

ResonanceGames:

Oh my indeed....it's as though these developers can see into my soul. I have to have this and I have to have it now.

I've just checked here and Arkane Studios are based in Lyon, France. Any of my European brethren fancy a road trip to Lyon to stand outside and beg them to let us play it? Or sing words of praise (and/or encouragement) outside their office windows till they get sick of it and throw source code at us?

fanklok:

Crazy Zaul:

Because there's basically two things Bethesda have published that have turned out even halfway decent: the SeaDogs games (sequel was renamed to Pirates of the Caribbean), and Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth.

However, I'm quite optimistic about this one.

SirCannonFodder:

fanklok:

Crazy Zaul:

Because there's basically two things Bethesda have published that have turned out even halfway decent: the SeaDogs games (sequel was renamed to Pirates of the Caribbean), and Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth.

However, I'm quite optimistic about this one.

Yeh, cos everything Bethesda publish outside Fallout and TES is crap, and even they are buggy. But at least this is a much better idea than Brink, Wet or Rogue warrior were so they could still pull it off and make it as awesome as it sounds.

I want to believe, so I'll be on keeping an eye on this.

On the other hand, I won't really believe it until I see it.

Wow. We truly live in great times if such games are being made.

I want it.

KingsGambit:
Oh my indeed....it's as though these developers can see into my soul. I have to have this and I have to have it now.

I've just checked here and Arkane Studios are based in Lyon, France. Any of my European brethren fancy a road trip to Lyon to stand outside and beg them to let us play it? Or sing words of praise (and/or encouragement) outside their office windows till they get sick of it and throw source code at us?

Why not come to the Official Forums? The devs post there fairly often.

I await the outrage as soon as this game is released, every time an anticipated game is released, you always have someone here to rant about how bad it is.

Looks fun, should I have the money, I'll get it, but from the trailer, WOW, those blood effects are fucking awful, not that it will affect my decision to buy but...geez, couldn't they do better than that?

SirCannonFodder:
Why not come to the Official Forums? The devs post there fairly often.

Well...I suppose that is something. Though I still think going to Lyon and holding some of the devs hostage till they let us play this fantastic looking game would be better. *sulks*

Cannot wait for this game! Well I can but I won't enjoy it. I want my time freezing swordsman now!

You know what, I'm not etirely sure what to make of this one. It looks like Bioshock fucked Half Life 2 and then left the offspring on Fables doorstep to raise.

It looks like a jumbled mess to me, but I guess time will tell.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here