E3 Preview: Devil May Cry

Pages 1 2 NEXT

E3 Preview: Devil May Cry

Half-demon, half-angel Dante struts cool moves from both worlds in a re-imagined DMC.

Read Full Article

Sounds like a completely different take on the hack and slash beat 'em up genre that the original DMC did... That only makes me question why they didn't just go for a new IP or something.

Part of the issue is that, those of us who HAVE played DMC, will compare this game to that.

Whereas the "scythe" or "hammer" thing might be cool to others, I see it as a drastically, almost pathetically, lowered amount of variety. Specially when it seems to be established that angel=air, and demon=ground with the weapon modifiers. Where's the load of weapons? Where's my shotguns, my electric-blasting guitars, my explosive-rose-dispensing back-kits, my suitcase of pure destruction, or my three-sided nunchaku or fire-and-wind combo swords?
They also haven't shown much on move development, which means there isn't any way to learn new moves or the like, or they just don't have it working right now. Both not exactly a good thing if they want to reassure fans of the series.

Where combat might be fast and fluid and the like for some, it actually looks on the slower side to me still, of which the cut from 60fps (the usual for the series) to Ninja Theories staple 30fps is probably the biggest suspect.

I won't touch Dante's look, its been rehashed and thrown all around. I'll say this. They HAVE made improvements, even if its not too apparent for the most part. Biggest being ditching the Christian Bale Batman-wannabee from earlier trailers for the current one, who sounds much more fitting.

And attitude? Meh. It's not the easiest thing to tell until you've played the game. Dante could be a real smug, sarcastic bugger at times, and ended up being a rather lovable dick. This version? He's shown some attitude, but a string of "fuck you"s a Dante does not make.

My problem is this, This is not the DMC we all know and love, this is the Edgy, New, "Cool" Dante that takes no shit from anyone and has no respect for the rules!

What a load of crap. The reason we loved the last Dante is because he was a man who was aware of his origin, to a degree, and was ok with it. This Dante seems to just hate the world. The original Dante was a party animal, Who loved to have fun, but had a goal in mind from what he needed to do. This Dante would as soon give you the finger as quick as he would say hello.

Dont even get me started on the "Hot dog" joke

They seem to be basing this Dante more on how Nero was then Dante himself, or at least, what i can see is they are basing this... thing that wants to be Dante off of DMC2 Dante.

Will not buy, will not look at, will not care.

CkretAznMan:
Sounds like a completely different take on the hack and slash beat 'em up genre that the original DMC did... That only makes me question why they didn't just go for a new IP or something.

Because they have been burned too many times.

This is how it went for them.
Gamers:Give us new ip's!
Ninja theory: Okay Here is heavenly blade
Heavely sword takes a year to sell just 1 million copies It's too unprofitable to bother making a sequel.
Ninja theory: Again? *sigh* Here is Enslaved: Odyssey to the West
Enslaved: Odyssey to the West sells half a million copies while being a great game but is not profitable enough to warrant a sequel.
Ninja theory: FUCK YOU IM TAKING DEVIL MAY CRY AND TURNING IT INTO HOW WE WANTED OUR NEXT IP TO BE LIKE!
Gamers: Why cant you just make a new ip instead of making changing an old one.
Ninja theory snaps and falls to the ground foaming at the mouth

Start actually buying new ip's before you start saying they need to make new ip's instead of changing old ones.

rolfwesselius:

CkretAznMan:

Heavely sword takes a year to sell just 1 million copies It's too unprofitable to bother making a sequel.
Enslaved: Odyssey to the West sells half a million copies while being a great game but is not profitable enough to warrant a sequel.
Ninja theory: FUCK YOU IM TAKING DEVIL MAY CRY AND TURNING IT INTO HOW WE WANTED OUR NEXT IP TO BE LIKE!

Start actually buying new ip's before you start saying they need to make new ip's instead of changing old ones.

Because they have been burned too many times? Please. Heavenly Sword was horrendously short and would be hard to justify paying $60 for a game I could tear through in less than one sitting.
Enslaved I don't know about (never played it), but the game was only great to you. Ive heard its only a little longer than Heavenly Sword, and isn't exactly all that great except for its character development.

Also, going by your example, if a game studio was indeed that petty, I wouldn't exactly care to see them fall. Besides, Capcom approached them about this, and have apparently been working alongside them on dmc so it's also rather off base.

rolfwesselius:

CkretAznMan:

If their new IPs didn't suck then maybe people would buy them?

Captcha: total shamble, seems fitting

Brad Shepard:
My problem is this, This is not the DMC we all know and love, this is the Edgy, New, "Cool" Dante that takes no shit from anyone and has no respect for the rules!

The character of Dante was always trying to be "edgy" and "cool", it's just been updated for the times. Dark and gritty is the new feminine and gothic.

JokerboyJordan:

rolfwesselius:

CkretAznMan:

Pretty sure their new IPs were pretty well received, especially Enslaved.

Brad Shepard:

What a load of crap. The reason we loved the last Dante is because he was a man who was aware of his origin, to a degree, and was ok with it. This Dante seems to just hate the world. The original Dante was a party animal, Who loved to have fun, but had a goal in mind from what he needed to do. This Dante would as soon give you the finger as quick as he would say hello.

Dont even get me started on the "Hot dog" joke

They seem to be basing this Dante more on how Nero was then Dante himself, or at least, what i can see is they are basing this... thing that wants to be Dante off of DMC2 Dante.

Will not buy, will not look at, will not care.

This Dante just tries too hard; Tam-tam brags about NT being talented storytellers and then he pulls what can best be described as a script written by a 12-year-old who just discovered the word "fuck." Pathetic.

As an original Devil May Cry fan, Capcom and Ninja Theory may as well have made this game but given it a whole new name; it'd be similar to DMC but isn't... like God of War and Dante's Inferno. I don't like the new Dante because like what's already been said, he's trying too hard to be edgy. The original Dante was edgy in a silly over the top way, he didn't need to drop f-bombs because he was too busy being an ass.

Something like this...

mindlesspuppet:

Brad Shepard:

The character of Dante was always trying to be "edgy" and "cool", it's just been updated for the times. Dark and gritty is the new feminine and gothic.

JokerboyJordan:

rolfwesselius:

Then why didn't people buy them then? It's not because they're afraid of new IPs, the entire community welcomes new IPs. So honestly, tell me what the problem is then?

Enslaved was a fantastic game but, much like Vanquish, people would rather toss 60USD on DLC-as-retail-games like Madden and CoD.

OT:
I'm not 'hating' this, but I just hope they manage to keep it FUN.
DMC4 was SO DAMN BORING after awhile.

Kheapathic:
As an original Devil May Cry fan, Capcom and Ninja Theory may as well have made this game but given it a whole new name; it'd be similar to DMC but isn't... like God of War and Dante's Inferno. I don't like the new Dante because like what's already been said, he's trying too hard to be edgy. The original Dante was edgy in a silly over the top way, he didn't need to drop f-bombs because he was too busy being an ass.

Something like this...

Indeed, Dante was fully aware of his silliness and embraced it without any sort of shame. He was FUN. He was actually an adult unlike the twit NT's been cramming down people's throats who's just the sort of dickhead you could see thinking something that isn't "dark" and "serious" isn't worth liking. This is the kind of attitude I expect out of a high school kid who hasn't grown out of his insecure, macho phase and thus is the guy nobody likes for good reason. The fact that Tam-tam thinks he's cool speaks volumes about his maturity level

This actually sounds pretty cool. Gives them a lot of room to do whatever they wanted with the combat.

I look forward to hearing about more weapons/combat types, and how they change between angel and demon.

rolfwesselius:

CkretAznMan:

Maybe they should work on making their IP not shit, then more people might buy it. Heavenly Sword was garbage, Enslaved was only a little better (and then shot itself in the foot in new, interesting ways). Ninja theory just consistently makes awful, pretty games. DmC:DMC will suck donkey cock just as expected, and it will use a beloved franchise as a rag to wipe it's face on.

And no one wants to see that. That's just gross.

Hey, how about this? Everyone who hasn't played a Devil May Cry game before but thinks this actually looks good:

How about buy the HD Collection instead, hmm? Or just buy 1 and 3 on the PS2 if you have one. But assuming you don't why don't you give the HD Collection a try? It's $40 maybe $30, much cheaper than this shlock, hmm? 2 games (3 if you like 2, which is meh) 2 GREAT games for LESS than the price of one.

I PROMISE you, however good you think this game looks DMC1 and DMC3 are far, far superior. Do yourself a favor and check out the HD Collection instead, the graphics aren't that bad and $40-$30 is a good price (again, if you don't have a PS2).

Because if you haven't played the (good) Devil May Cry games you owe it to yourself to enjoy them.

JokerboyJordan:

mindlesspuppet:

Brad Shepard:

JokerboyJordan:

Then why didn't people buy them then? It's not because they're afraid of new IPs, the entire community welcomes new IPs. So honestly, tell me what the problem is then?

On what world do you live on where the "the entire community welcomes new IPs"? If that were at all true we wouldn't be getting endless sequels, prequels, reboots, etc of existing franchises.

The only time a new IP gets a chance is when they have a giant studio behind them to dump 60+ million into advertising, and even then it's uncertain.

To be fair, it's hard to blame anyone(consumers), at 60$ a pop on consoles games are a bit too expensive to take needless risks on. PC IPs fair a bit better because of significantly cheaper prices and even piracy (if for nothing else than to spread the word).

On the other hand, the gaming community is filled with obnoxiously hypocritical people. They'll rant and rave that they want something new, demand that publishers/developers do this and that, and so forth, but when they get exactly what they want they don't put their money where their mouth is. Meanwhile you have a community where a huge portion of it dumps all of games like CoD, BF, Madden, etc and then proceeds to buy them en masse.

Flailing Escapist:
Hey, how about this? Everyone who hasn't played a Devil May Cry game before but thinks this actually looks good:

How about buy the HD Collection instead, hmm? Or just buy 1 and 3 on the PS2 if you have one. But assuming you don't why don't you give the HD Collection a try? It's $40 maybe $30, much cheaper than this shlock, hmm? 2 games (3 if you like 2, which is meh) 2 GREAT games for LESS than the price of one.

I PROMISE you, however good you think this game looks DMC1 and DMC3 are far, far superior. Do yourself a favor and check out the HD Collection instead, the graphics aren't that bad and $40-$30 is a good price (again, if you don't have a PS2).

Because if you haven't played the (good) Devil May Cry games you owe it to yourself to enjoy them.

Beat me to it. Having never owned a ps2 I never got the chance to play the first 2. Will definately be getting this.
This new DMC however...unless it's completely awesome I won't be buying it. And by looking at Ninja Theory's track record I doubt it will be much more than short and mediocre.

thing that annoys me about DmC is that the combat mirriors Heavenly Sword as both have a shape changing weapon. Heavenly sword had a pair of Kratos styled chain swords for crowd control while DmC has the Angel Scythe and Heavenly sword has a Greatsword for heavy attacks while DmC has the Demon Axe.

plus i haven't seen a single trailer where dante fights more then five enemies at a time, and most of the time they are giving the impression of just waiting in line to get murdered as they don't seem to all attack at once. something the other DMC games have been doing since the beginning.

Heavenly sword gameplay for E3 2006 for those who haven't seen it before.

Brad Shepard:

Speak for yourself, I have DMC3 on my Desk of Epic next to God Hand and my Sword and Crows wing (I told you it was epic).

I loved DMC and DMC3 for its combat, Dante was a loud mouthed rude idiot though, and judging by how in this preview demo he hits some random strangers drink out of their hands, he's still a loud mouthed rude idiot.

DMC3 had the best quick time events too, I had to press start constantly to not hear Dante's cringe worthy dialogue and get back to the action.

I prefer playing as Virgil thanks to Dante's stupid attitude, Virgil is much more elegant.

People wouldn't be mad if he wasn't called Dante, if he was a whole new character, people would be more welcoming, one does not simply change a beloved gaming icon! Gameplay looks solid though.

I hate how they ruined the story of Dante, he was a half-demon, half-human, which is why he was so strong, he had a heart and a sense of humanity, he was a guy who wanted to kill demons as stylishly as possible. The reasoning behind this change is stupid, if he walked into a bar outside Japan, he would be laughed out...Dante would kick their ass, wisecrack about it and not give a shit. Also on that logic, the new one wouldn't be laughed out?

I am more open-minded about this, but the hate this game is getting could have very easily been avoided...

Even if it shows promise of being a solid game worthy of its name with a decent story its just not going to stop all the hatred it gets for... just about everything short of existing really.

Me? I shall pay money, then decide if it was worth it.

DigitalSushi:

Speak for yourself, I have DMC3 on my Desk of Epic next to God Hand and my Sword and Crows wing (I told you it was epic).

I loved DMC and DMC3 for its combat, Dante was a loud mouthed rude idiot though, and judging by how in this preview demo he hits some random strangers drink out of their hands, he's still a loud mouthed rude idiot.

DMC3 had the best quick time events too, I had to press start constantly to not hear Dante's cringe worthy dialogue and get back to the action.

I prefer playing as Virgil thanks to Dante's stupid attitude, Virgil is much more elegant.

Dante was FUN. He was a guy who showed off, but mostly in a way to entertain others and himself. This twat is just boring and joyless, like an asshole teenager who goes picking fights with passersby.

Holy shitbiscuits. A thread about DmC that isn't mainly populated by jackoffs spouting, "stop complanning abot teh hare lol haters."

I'm a little happy.

Next you'll tell me that there'll be a Metal Gear Rising thread in which most people will say something along the lines of, "if Acid and Touch didn't 'sully' the franchise, this won't either."

Aiddon:

DigitalSushi:

Dante was FUN. He was a guy who showed off, but mostly in a way to entertain others and himself. This twat is just boring and joyless, like an asshole teenager who goes picking fights with passersby.

What, so we are in agreement that Dante in general is an asshole?, congrats Ninja Theory, you guys are sticking quite close to the source material as it turns out!

I'm actually looking forward to this game, lets be honest with ourselves here, the combat in DMC3 was and still perfect. If were are going to get another DMC, then it needs a fresh start with a new combat mechanic and fighting perspective.

Capcom can't do a Street Fighter with DMC and create incremental upgrades because they pretty much nailed it during the last generation. Still I wouldn't complain if Nevan became a paid for DLC, cos she's a sexy beast of a weapon.

rolfwesselius:

CkretAznMan:

Oh, that just sounds silly. Speaking of which, I don't remember Heavenly Sword being very good and Enslaved wasn't a great futuristic take on the Journey to the West. So maybe, Ninja Theory just sucks as a developer and they can't win either fight because they're doing it wrong in every way. That's just speculation, not an actual opinion or anything.

Also, also. I don't have the means to get these video games anyways, I'm still on the last generation of consoles.

In conclusion, that still doesn't answer my curiosity.

DigitalSushi:

What, so we are in agreement that Dante in general is an asshole?, congrats Ninja Theory, you guys are sticking quite close to the source material as it turns out!

I'm actually looking forward to this game, lets be honest with ourselves here, the combat in DMC3 was and still perfect. If were are going to get another DMC, then it needs a fresh start with a new combat mechanic and fighting perspective.

Capcom can't do a Street Fighter with DMC and create incremental upgrades because they pretty much nailed it during the last generation. Still I wouldn't complain if Nevan became a paid for DLC, cos she's a sexy beast of a weapon.

Do NOT put words in my mouth. Dante was an eccentric but also fun and lovable braggart, not a boring, joyless twat. He was FUN, he didn't sulk and moan like what NT is doing. That smacking a can out of a random dude's hand is something I expect out of a punk picking a fight for no better reason than to insecurely measure his wang. The REAL Dante from 3 and 4 would not do that because he was written like a guy who had better things to do than puff out his chest like a dipshit going through puberty. NT has no clue how to write in general and they even LESS of an idea how to design games. They're a bunch of hacks.

Aiddon:

DigitalSushi:

Do NOT put words in my mouth. Dante was an eccentric but also fun and lovable braggart, not a boring, joyless twat. He was FUN, he didn't sulk and moan like what NT is doing. That smacking a can out of a random dude's hand is something I expect out of a punk picking a fight for no better reason than to insecurely measure his wang. The REAL Dante from 3 and 4 would not do that because he was written like a guy who had better things to do than puff out his chest like a dipshit going through puberty. NT has no clue how to write in general and they even LESS of an idea how to design games. They're a bunch of hacks.

Please chill out, I'll admit I got it wrong and since you clearly like the Old Dante my joke fell flat, I'd like to apologise for that I didn't mean any offence by it, so I'm sorry.

I don't actually like Old Dante, sure you say he's a lovable braggart (which I agree with) its just that he is so cringeworthy, he's like that guy that rents a Ferrari for the weekend to try to pull the ladies.

What I do like about Old Dante, combat mechanics, Dante is the slickest most responsive game avatar that has ever existed coupled with nigh on perfect fighting has created infinite combo possibilities while using a very focused criteria (such as Gunslinger, Nevan, Artemis).

But Dante was so embaressing, and rather thuggish, I much prefer using Virgil because he's just as responsive as Dante but he's much more elegant in cutscene's and in gameplay.

Dark Slayer is so sexy, I remember thinking it was underpowered first time I tried it, hell no, you can Dark Slayer cancel enemies, that is totally pimping.

Flailing Escapist:

now i will quote you on this... I HATED the first devil may cry. i liked the second. and the third is by far one of my all time favorite games. and i am STILL looking forward to the new one. i do plan on buying the HD collection.. but also im not gonna judge this game before i try it out.

Anthony Wells:
now i will quote you on this... I HATED the first devil may cry. i liked the second. and the third is by far one of my all time favorite games. and i am STILL looking forward to the new one. i do plan on buying the HD collection.. but also im not gonna judge this game before i try it out.

Let me get this straight, the Hideki Kamiya Devil May Cry you didn't like, in fact you HATED it. You prefer the game where one of the longest and most dynamic boss fights is a helicopter.

I'm not trying to pick a fight, I just think it's a little..... funny. I'd play DMC1 over 2 any day, that's just the type of gamer I am. But to each his own.

DigitalSushi:

Aiddon:

DigitalSushi:

Please chill out, I'll admit I got it wrong and since you clearly like the Old Dante my joke fell flat, I'd like to apologise for that I didn't mean any offence by it, so I'm sorry.

I don't actually like Old Dante, sure you say he's a lovable braggart (which I agree with) its just that he is so cringeworthy, he's like that guy that rents a Ferrari for the weekend to try to pull the ladies.

What I do like about Old Dante, combat mechanics, Dante is the slickest most responsive game avatar that has ever existed coupled with nigh on perfect fighting has created infinite combo possibilities while using a very focused criteria (such as Gunslinger, Nevan, Artemis).

But Dante was so embaressing, and rather thuggish, I much prefer using Virgil because he's just as responsive as Dante but he's much more elegant in cutscene's and in gameplay.

Dark Slayer is so sexy, I remember thinking it was underpowered first time I tried it, hell no, you can Dark Slayer cancel enemies, that is totally pimping.

Yeah, Vergil is awesome to use.

'What? Teleports? That's pretty boring...'

How wrong I was :D

Also, he's just cooler than Dante.

Daystar Clarion:

Yeah, Vergil is awesome to use.

'What? Teleports? That's pretty boring...'

How wrong I was :D

Also, he's just cooler than Dante.

LOL, that's exactly what I thought first time using Virgil, "teleporting to the same spot?, that's fucking pointless"... then as I got used to it I realised a lot of Dante's moveset and styles actually take him away from the enemies while Virgil is all up in their faces almost 100% of the time.

this is DarkSlayer Trick canceling, notice the style meter go up even when the guy isn't making combos or landing blows
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NC4ETrYvjpo

DarkSlayer also makes the obnoxious platforming of DMC so much easier, see that platform, teleport.. BOOM I'M THERE

cursedseishi:
Where's the load of weapons? Where's my shotguns, my electric-blasting guitars, my explosive-rose-dispensing back-kits, my suitcase of pure destruction, or my three-sided nunchaku or fire-and-wind combo swords?

Where's my fucking GOD FIST!? (I fucking love Beowulf atm, it's a pure necessity for DMD if you don't want to item spam through it @_@)

I'll reserve my judgement of the reboot though I do hope it turns out well. I'm not a big fan of the voice actor though it's a touch too whiny and seems more like some punk kid in terms of his attitude than the arrogant fun-loving douche bag we all know and love.

Aesthetically I'mn not bothered, it's a reboot, so reboot it. Just the VA sounds off, but I could be proven wrong.

Tanis:

OT:
I'm not 'hating' this, but I just hope they manage to keep it FUN.
DMC4 was SO DAMN BORING after awhile.

Yeah, especially with the shielded knight enemies that became 90% of all the combat in the last half of the game -_-

Personally 3 is my favourite of the series still, it was the most well balanced overall. Not just the combat either, even things like the secret missions were the best of the series because they were imaginative without being dumb, like the elevator mission in 3 was great cuz it was a challenge (unless you have level 2 trickster (; ) whereas there were several in DMC4 that just pissed me off in the end.

wow, so he swears for no reason now?

I'm sorry how dose this make him 'cooler' then the smart ass we knew before?
oh that's right, it doesn't. it just makes him juvenile and less appealing as a character.

and when are devs gonna figure out that this 'dark edgy' thing they're doing now, isn't half as mature as they claim it to be

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here