No Right Answer: Best Comic Book-Based Cartoon Ever

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Best Comic Book-Based Cartoon Ever

These days, comic books can be turned into movies because technology has matured, but in the past we could only hope for a decent cartoon series to deliver the goods. So which cartoon based on a comic book is The Avengers of it's day?

Watch Video

I think you guys meant rule 34 for that frame where batman is kissing robin...not that I would know about that stuff or anything.

OT: Batman: TAS was one of my favorite shows growing up. I was pleasantly surprised to find that my nostalgia for it holds up when I rewatched it as an adult, but I can't say the same of TMNT.

"Hands down, full stop. Christian Bale can screw off!"

Agreed.

Surprised there was no X-Men. You get to see Apocalypse and his Four Horseman!

Arkham City with the Turtles would be awesome too.

Mmentioning the TMNT toys would have get you another point.

No love 4 Young Justice? :(
And I get the feeling that Chris and Christian Bale are done professionally.
Too bad, Chris is a nice guy, he's nice guy!

TMNT was my childhood along with powerrangers,pokemon and DBZ etc..

The batman cartoon show was awesome and I also like batman beyond as well. Both brought these two comic series to a whole new audience

Batman by a mile not only is it one of the best comic book cartoons it's also commonly considered to be one of the best cartoons of all time. The Turtles is way to kiddish for me and I still enjoy Adam West and Kim Possible.

pff batman TAS is the winner because not only is it awesome it still holds up today just like Batman Beyond.

So Batman lost because it's part of a bigger more iconic franchise, and the cartoon was really all Turtles had going for it. Nope, not buying it. As a rule, the '90s cartoon beats out the '80s cartoon every time. Also, are we counting Manga? If so, I gotta go with Death Note.

Really? TMNT?

The way I see with the cartoon being more popular and different to the comicbook could be an insulting one. Yeah sure TMNT cartoon made it mainstream but what about those who read the comicbook and didn't like the cartoon for being the oppersite to it (yes a hipster sort of remark).
To me TMNT is nostalgia only to a certain degree as it's so wacky to try to watch it now as mature person while Batman: TAS is still enjoyable to watch even now (I own season 1 and 2 on dvd). I do agree that people should aknowledge the Adam West version more than to try to phase it out of existance. All past Batman stuff is what made the Batman we get today including Adam West (yes I love Batman: The Brave and the Bold).

Going based off a vague memory I have of both shows, here's what I think:

Batman is the overall better show, so going purely by show quality, it's the best.

On the other hand, Ninja Turtles is Teenage Mutant Ninja fucking Turtles.

Tough call really.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yMk9xa7WEBQ

I'm sorry, you're telling me that this^

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WB3fvHEjuTE&feature=related

Is better than this^? (I know, it's batman beyond, still good)

That's the trouble with this show, it's never about the merits of the things they argue, it's about who can talk over the other person enough to get a point decided by some invisible third party. Format the show as an two arguments and create links for us to vote with.

The argument was rerouted from which was a better show (original premise) to which one did more to rescue the series upon which it was based (Not the original premise). How could turtles fail to win that argument, it was based on a cult book that no one really read about ninja turtles killing ninja humans. It came from the most obscure background possible.

TL;DR

STOP REDEFINING THE ARGUMENT FROM WHAT YOU HAVE IN THE TITLE.

I'm kind of disappointed that Justice League/Unlimited wasn't even a possibility foe anyone. Is it just that no one has watched it recently? Took everything that was great about BTAS and STAS, expanded and improved on it, and juggled a ton of different tones and themes. The final fight against Darkseid is still one of my favorite TV climaxes ever. (It's a shame Batman didn't discover those magic time bullets until a few years later, could have saved them some trouble.)

jthm:

That's the trouble with this show, it's never about the merits of the things they argue, it's about who can talk over the other person enough to get a point decided by some invisible third party. Format the show as an two arguments and create links for us to vote with.

Dan's not always invisible, but he usually is due to that bit where he's the guy behind the camera. As for the arguments changing, of course they change! When was the last time you and a friend had a fun argument and it didn't get even slightly derailed in the name of having fun with said argument?

things batman ats gave us- Harley, tragic back story for mr Freeze, kevin conroy and mark hamill as batman and joker, its success led to superman tas batman beyond justice league and justice league unlimited static shock and helped shape the arkham games.

things the turtles show gave us- the theme song,

I'm not sure how this is even a debate. The title was best comic book cartoon, not which comic based cartoon spawned the most toys and other items to market. Batman wins hands down.

If they wanted to make a real discussion then it should have been Batman Vs X-Men. I don't think I could decide on which was the best.

Ok Chris, you completely lost me with that speal about Adam West saving Batman and whatever.

Really? The Toy commercial beat the serious stories? The dumb-ass bad guys (heaps of alien tech can't beat four turtles with feudal weapons that live on a pizza based diet) beat the rouges gallery? The best comic based cartoon is the one that tossed out its comic almost completely?

TMNT may be more fun to watch (and my inner smart ass was raised on Raphiel) but to call it the better show is just wrong on so many levels.

it is obviously spectacular spiderman, or young justice, or justice leauge, or avenger: emh...
does anyone know half of these shows?

How is X-Men not in this? Today Batman has good movies, and the X-Men... well let's just say the cartoon may well have been their greatest height on screen. I may be bias, because I hate the Turtles. It sounded more like they were arguing "Which Comic book series was most advanced by their cartoon" or was most influential on the franchise instead of which one was actually the best on the merits of the cartoon itself.

Yeah.... no. Sorry, no.

"Best" and "most defined its franchise" are not equivalent terms.

Batman is better than TMNT. Guess which won 4 Emmy Awards, and which won zero awards.

Still think that Batman was a bit better. Consider "The man who killed Batman." It may be the best "What if" story ever told. "Almost Got 'im." an angle that is NEVER explored nowadays...

canadamus_prime:
Ok Chris, you completely lost me with that speal about Adam West saving Batman and whatever.

This isn't hard to figure out. Batman's comics weren't as popular as they are now but before they just became a little obscure thing, the Adam West Batman came out and got people to remember the character right before he faded away.

As a result of the campy version, people like Frank Miller decided Batman needed to get back to his roots as a dark vigilante, hence why we got The Dark Knight Returns. Not only did Adam West's Batman carry Batman into the current consciousness, it inadvertently caused modern comic writers to decide the character needed to be the dark, brooding figure we all currently assume is just how he always was.

Not acknowledging the campy West/Ward version of the show pretty much shows how little someone understands Batman as a whole. You don't have to like it, but respect has to be paid.

Is this really an arguement worth having? It's Batman, hands down! That cartoon has infinite rewatchability, unlike TMNT or Marvel's toons from the '90's, which don't look like they aged well. Without B:TAS, Superman wouldn't have had the same treatment, there'd be no Batman Beyond, and we'd DEFINITELY have no Justice League.

I'd have to agree with the points that the TMNT cartoon did more for their franchise than the Batman series did for theirs. However I fail to see how that is a criteria for best. The McDonald's Big Mac did more for its franchise than a well crafted meal at some 3 Michelin star restaurant did for that restaurant. That doesn't mean its better, and I don't think many people would argue that it is. Of course "better" is a fairly subjective term so I have to accept it if you hold that criteria highly, but I just don't understand it.

Characterization, story, and all the other individual components (as well as the sum) were better in the Batman series and to me that makes it better. Not that TMNT wasn't a great show its just not as good as the Batman series was.

Chris Pranger:

canadamus_prime:

This isn't hard to figure out. Batman's comics weren't as popular as they are now but before they just became a little obscure thing, the Adam West Batman came out and got people to remember the character right before he faded away.

As a result of the campy version, people like Frank Miller decided Batman needed to get back to his roots as a dark vigilante, hence why we got The Dark Knight Returns. Not only did Adam West's Batman carry Batman into the current consciousness, it inadvertently caused modern comic writers to decide the character needed to be the dark, brooding figure we all currently assume is just how he always was.

Not acknowledging the campy West/Ward version of the show pretty much shows how little someone understands Batman as a whole. You don't have to like it, but respect has to be paid.

Hey, I never said anything about not acknowledging or not respecting the Adam West show. Hell, I used to watch that show for a bit when I was a kid, back when YTV used to carry it. It's just that saying it saved Batman seems like a bit of a stretch.

bu...bu...bu... but its batman... :(

TMNT wins just on the theme song. Chris should have got 10 points for bringing that point up!

I do feel the criteria did change a little in the debate, but "most influential" just doesn't look as attractive as "best".

A good debate, and enjoyable watch. My heart still goes to Justice League/Unlimited, though.

Interesting debate this week. In general I'm glad that there was an actual resolution to this one as opposed to just 'leaving it up to the viewers' again.

Gotta say that Chris owned this debate. Which is funny because in spite of the fact that I've probably seen both series discussed and would much more likely watch Batman than Ninja Turtles, he still figured out a way that Ninja Turtles won. Extra points for bringing the focus back to Adam West, who gets way too much hate poured on him for his fantastic interpretation of Batman back in the '60s.

Does Duck Tales count? It was based on the Uncle Scrooge comic book. I think it deserves an Honorable Mention, at least.

Best: Batman TAS
Most influential to it's development as a franchise: TMNT (but just barely)

Batman TAS is one of (if not the) best cartoons to every air on TV. It had great stories that I could like as a kid and as an adult. that and can you really beat this intro?

TheFederation:
it is obviously spectacular spiderman, or young justice, or justice leauge, or avenger: emh...
does anyone know half of these shows?

It's good that someone else loves Spectacular Spiderman that show was amazing. Though I'd place Brave and the Bold or Teen Titans on that list before avengers.

I know this is not a popular opinion, but...

TMNT 2k3 beats the pants off the '87 cartoon. No questions asked. Like someone said in the facebook thread, TMNT87 is all but unwatchable from an older standpoint. 2k3, however, while far from perfect has better writing, action, animation, characters and development. It is my honest opinion that the ONLY reason you hear so much more about the '87 series than you do about 2k3 is nostalgia. At this point, I'm just waiting for the generation that grew up on 2k3 to grow up and get nostalgic, and hopefully get whoever has the rights right now to release a box set.

I admit that I haven't watched enough of Batman: TAS to really talk about it with any kind of certainty.

Oh, come on! Obviously the best cartoon based on a comic book is this:

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or