Trailers: Metal Gear Solid: Rising - Revengeance - E3 Trailer

Pages 1 2 NEXT

They really dropped that whole pc promise, huh. but well, looks interesting, still.

I hate this game.

Because every time I see the word 'vengeance', I read it as 'revengeance'.

I hate this game.

Is "Revengeance" even a word? I like using it when I make up fake cheesy movie titles, along with "the Revenging."

All right, I've accepted that this story will likely be terrible and at best will offer moments of unintended comedy. But it looks fun, so count me in.

Well maybe you wouldn't need "revenegence" if you hadn't spent all your time walking slowly away from the camera while that president was being skewered.

Daystar Clarion:
I hate this game.

Because every time I see the word 'vengeance', I read it as 'revengeance'.

I hate this game.

Funny, because every time I see your avatar I read your title as "Brovenger".

That last "wrong" at the logo couldn't be more well placed. This game IS wrong.

Ready, set, stupid.

WHoever thought up "revengeance" as the title needs to be flogged

I'm actually surprised at some of the negativity that's been thrown around with regards to this game. Surely by now we know to trust Platinum Games? They know what they're doing.

So the title has a strange word. Big fucking deal.

I've seen some gameplay footage for this game and I can't stand the way the super-lethal ten-foot-long perfectly-sharp sword he uses in slow motion appears to turn into a blunt butter knife in actual combat. Also, it feels like they're only sticking the Metal Gear name on it to get some brand recognition, not because of any actual interest in Metal Gear.

CHANGE THE TITLE! Get ride of Metal gear solid part, this game is going to be nothing like the other metal gear games, i don't know why you didn't just make a new Ip, i actually would be interested if it was totally new instead of trying to shoehorn it into the metal gear universe.

anthony87:
I'm actually surprised at some of the negativity that's been thrown around with regards to this game. Surely by now we know to trust Platinum Games? They know what they're doing.

Exactly! I'm not hung up on the name (maybe not final version), and that sword fighting action looks fucking awesome! I really want to do that, NOW!!!

Anyone who ever bitched about Raiden being a whiny cry baby in Metal Gear Solid 2... take it back. Take it all back.

Mumorpuger:
Is "Revengeance" even a word? I like using it when I make up fake cheesy movie titles, along with "the Revenging."

No. No it is not. It's a portmanteau of revenge and vengeance. Two words which essentially mean the same thing. At least with all this overwrought and frankly shameless use of the English language we know it's a true Metal Gear game.

Proverbial Jon:
Anyone who ever bitched about Raiden being a whiny cry baby in Metal Gear Solid 2... take it back. Take it all back.

Mumorpuger:

No. No it is not. It's a portmanteau of revenge and vengeance. Two words which essentially mean the same thing. At least with all this overwrought and frankly shameless use of the English language we know it's a true Metal Gear game.

Gotcha.

And to be fair, he was a whiney cry baby! This game doesn't change that! :D

It actually looks interesting, in an over the top, Devil May Cry/Bayonetta-esque kind of way.

Mumorpuger:

Proverbial Jon:

Mumorpuger:

Gotcha.

You're right, of course. Although I hang a lot of the blame on Rosemary. If she asked him what was so special about April 30th just one more time... Your room Jack, your room was completely empty! LIKE YOUR SOUL! Argh!

I will be interested to see how they explain:

Because there's some continuity issues there.

I shed a tear over this. Because if they're going to use the worlds "Metal Gear", they should try not to butcher the franchise. I get they removed the word "Solid", but I still can't help but want to go through it non-lethally, and I know I can't.

I'll just leave now...

To quote the last word used in that trailer. WRONG!!!! All the emphasis is implied.

Raiden still sounds like a whiny bitch

This looks terrible. Why have a futuristic setting with robots and arm the player with a sword? It doesn't make any sense. It's like they are screwing with us.

anthony87:

Eh, this whole "It's different, so it sucks" mentality has been stirring in this community for quite some time. Example: Odin forbid that anyone trusts Ninja Theory on DmC. It's as if those other two game under their repertoire never happened.

On that note: for all we know the new XCOM (the shooter one) might *actually* be good when it comes out, but people are going to bitch anyways because of the genre shift.

And yet nobody complains when, say, Dead or Alive became a psuedo-sports title, or when Resident Evil turned into a run-and-gun 3rd person shooter.

Hell, Metal Gear Solid 4 all but threw out the stealth element completely and it's still mostly revered.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm willing to wait until it comes out before I start bitching about it.

Having said that, last year's trailer for Rising was fucking terrible. This one is giving me Human Revolution vibes, so I suppose that puts me at the "on the fence" level.

I'm still going to buy it though, being the Metal Gear fanboy that I am.

MGS 2 comes out.

Raiden finds out about his reputation of being a 'pansy boy'.

Raiden : "REVENGEANCE!!!"

Proverbial Jon:

Mumorpuger:

Proverbial Jon:

Gotcha.

You're right, of course. Although I hang a lot of the blame on Rosemary. If she asked him what was so special about April 30th just one more time... Your room Jack, your room was completely empty! LIKE YOUR SOUL! Argh!

I will be interested to see how they explain:

Because there's some continuity issues there.

From what I've heard, it's supposed to be a non-canon spinoff, so there's that.

Honestly, I really didn't like the first trailer for this, but between this new trailer and the live walkthrough, I'm really, really looking forward to this again. Looks like quite a bit of fun.

Had a chuckle at the the Escapist snark in the title so watched it to see what the game was actually called. Nope- it is actually called MGS: Revengence *facepalm*

Also, is this the fruit slicing MGS simulation that's been floating around for years?

Scrythe:

anthony87:

Eh, this whole "It's different, so it sucks" mentality has been stirring in this community for quite some time. Example: Odin forbid that anyone trusts Ninja Theory on DmC. It's as if those other two game under their repertoire never happened.

On that note: for all we know the new XCOM (the shooter one) might *actually* be good when it comes out, but people are going to bitch anyways because of the genre shift.

And yet nobody complains when, say, Dead or Alive became a psuedo-sports title, or when Resident Evil turned into a run-and-gun 3rd person shooter.

Hell, Metal Gear Solid 4 all but threw out the stealth element completely and it's still mostly revered.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm willing to wait until it comes out before I start bitching about it.

Having said that, last year's trailer for Rising was fucking terrible. This one is giving me Human Revolution vibes, so I suppose that puts me at the "on the fence" level.

I think I love you for this post, people seem to forget that it was quite easy to just run and gun your way through MGS4. Although I wouldn't say that MGS4 got rid of stealth altogether, there was certainly less of an emphasis on it.

Hell, while we're talking about MGS4 why not bring up all the crazy shit that Raiden done in that game? At the time everyone thought it was fantastic but now that we actually get to control that insane action ourselves it's suddenly a pox on the entire fucking series?

Why does it say "Metal Gear Solid" up there? It clearly doesn't have "Solid" in the title. Metal Gear Solid wasn't the first installment in the series, people! It was #4, at the very least!

Even so-called "die-hard Metal Gear Solid" fans don't seem to know this. Also, kind of like Super Mario Bros., there were two separate Metal Gear 2s. I've even heard that Metal Gear Solid's working title was "Metal Gear 3".

So, as someone who isn't all that familiar with the franchise, but is very interested, and knows that there were other installments before Solid came out and that the franchise is called "Metal Gear" and not "Metal Gear Solid"...

Why do so many people hate this "Raiden" guy?

JokerboyJordan:
I shed a tear over this. Because if they're going to use the worlds "Metal Gear", they should try not to butcher the franchise. I get they removed the word "Solid", but I still can't help but want to go through it non-lethally, and I know I can't.

I'll just leave now...

It's a game in Kojima's Metal Gear franchise. It has nothing to do with the 4-part Solid story-arch. And is there really such a problem with a spinoff about a different character that does things very differently? Mario did it, Sonic did it, Halo did it... Heck, Army Men did it over and over and over again!

anthony87:

Look I like Platinum Games, but the previous trailer they showed made the game look like Bayonetta. I liked Bayonetta, but I don't want this game to turn out to be the same thing.

This trailer is from E32010. This was back when the game was being developed in house by Kojima Productions. At the time the game was set in between 2 though 4 and was going to be about what Raiden did during that time. Details were light but they promised a blend of Seath and Action. (and the ability to cut anything)

Fast forward to 2011. The developer changes to Platinum Games and the story is moved to post MGS4.

And now all I see is Bayonetta. I have a number of problems with this change. First and foremost being the fact that Raiden is in it fighting again sort of retroactively ruins the ending of MGS4 for me. Secondly is the fact the game looked just like DMC instead of the unique action game they talked about.

I don't think much of the "negativity" is being thrown at the game because Platinum games is developing it. It is because Konami originally promised a completely different game.

I don't know that I'll play this, if it controls well, perhaps. I am definitely interested, and I am a huge Metal Gear fan. Story wise, I do have one problem with this title, and that's that I liked 4's ending, even for Raiden (although like everyone else, I hated him in 2). You know what? MGS4 had a happy ending done well. It tied up everything. When this game was set between 2 and 4, it made more sense. Now, we know shit will go downhill. Oh well. Still interested in the game itself.

Final note:
Revengeance is both the worst word and the funniest joke I've ever heard.

Silver Patriot:

Also why I am complaining drop the Solid. Just "Metal Gear: Rising" would be fine.

The Solid was dropped. It's Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance.

The dude who wrote the headline just screwed up.

Rainforce:
They really dropped that whole pc promise, huh. but well, looks interesting, still.

Probably because P* doesn't do PC.

Scrythe:

anthony87:

People trusted Ninja Theory... until black hair, Edward Cullen wannabe Dante showed up. Then the combat went the "Heavenly Sword" route. NOW we can complain.

No one complained about the genre shift in Dead Or Alive, because the game wasn't something to even get worked up about. It was as close to RapeLay as America was going to get. It was Leisure Suit Larry with fighting game characters.

OT: The game looks fantastic, and will probably be a better DMC than DMC.

I... don't know what to think? Have they picked up Kojima's trailer habit?

This looks pretty good to me I hope the fighting is'nt deus ex style stuffing your face to take down the guy ten feet away who already has his gun on you.It does'nt hold up to that other trailer where raiden picks up a metal gear ray and throws it but it's still pretty good.

I'm....honestly ok with this.

Now i know what you're thinking: Infernai, why are you complaining about the new changing stuff but not with Rising?

Well, for starters there are a couple of very key differences:

1. From the beginning the Devs have been VERY clear on what this game is going to be: It's a spin-off not related to the main game. They admitted it was originally to be a prequel, but that was jossed after the original team fell through and platinum picked it up. These guys have been clear on what this game is for a while, and due to good communication i can go in happy.

2. The Dev Team have proven themselves before to be capable with this type of game, so I am confident they can deliver.

3. Snakes not being so much as touched in this, so he's in no way being hurt by this. As such, i am not upset.

4. Raiden is a cyborg ninja. It was shown throughout the fourth game he is very powerful: He made short work of gecko's, fought with a nigh invulnerable regenerating freak of nature and won, and was able to keep on fighting when he'd lost both his arms. Let's face facts here people: If ANY of us were stuck with typical metal gear gameplay when we have a character THIS powerful to play, we'd probably go out of our way to eschew it so we can wreck shit up. Admit it, you would do it because like any metal gear fan, you would unfocus your eyes, pretend your grey fox and re-enact that corridor scene about ten times over until every corridor resembled some kind of 'Short-sighted guard blender'.
Snake doesn't have this luxury cause he's still bound by mortal man limits, so he has to rely on his wits and whatever he can get his hands on to survive. And that gameplay is perfectly viable and fine.

But, when given the reigns of a protagonist at the level of power of Raiden, naturally the playing fields going to be a bit different and so are the methods/tools we use to achieve our goals.

So, yes, i am willing to go into this and have myself some fun as a Cyborg Ninja. And, at the same time, eagerly await any future metal gear solid entries.

Silver Patriot:

anthony87:

Look I like Platinum Games, but the previous trailer they showed made the game look like Bayonetta. I liked Bayonetta, but I don't want this game to turn out to be the same thing.

This trailer is from E32010. This was back when the game was being developed in house by Kojima Productions. At the time the game was set in between 2 though 4 and was going to be about what Raiden did during that time. Details were light but they promised a blend of Seath and Action. (and the ability to cut anything)

Fast forward to 2011. The developer changes to Platinum Games and the story is moved to post MGS4.

And now all I see is Bayonetta. I have a number of problems with this change. First and foremost being the fact that Raiden is in it fighting again sort of retroactively ruins the ending of MGS4 for me. Secondly is the fact the game looked just like DMC instead of the unique action game they talked about.

I don't think much of the "negativity" is being thrown at the game because Platinum games is developing it. It is because Konami originally promised a completely different game.

The thing is that the game we were shown at E3 2010 never even existed. After announcing Metal Gear Rising, Kojima came to realise that they couldn't effectively impliment the combination of stealth and cyborg ninja kickassery but rather than actually say anything along those lines, they just shelved the project.

If Platinum Games hadn't come along and agreed to take the reins of this game then there'd be no Metal Gear Rising at all. Loads of people keep saying things like "Oh but this isn't what we were first shown!" and that's because all that we were shown at first was a fancy tech demo with no game and no plan to go along with it.

So I'm pretty fucking grateful to Platinum Games because without them we'd never have Metal Gear Rising in any way, shape or form. Also, I think someone already pointed this out but there's no "Solid" in the title, that's a mistake on the OP's part.

EDIT: Just in case you think I'm talking out of my ass:
http://gamerant.com/metal-gear-rising-revengeance-cancelled-hideo-kojima-benk-121052/

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here