E3 Preview: The Elder Scrolls Online

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Journey back a few hundred years to the early days of Tamriel.

Read Full Article

Sounds fairly interesting, but I'm waiting for price models to show up before I make any sort of decision. I'll at least try it out given the chance at a free go.

Race determines faction...they'll finally have to balance the redguard and breton racials with the garbage everyone else gets.

Or everyone will just play redguard or breton, whatever works.

Skeptic as ever until i can see it in action in large quantities before i can analyze the pros and cons.

That does sound pretty interesting. I just hope PVP isn't forced on players though. It sounds like it won't be which is good.

I wish they would stop saying it looks like an Elder Scrolls game. It doesn't. Orcs, Humans, various shades of elves,cat and lizard people (while all part of the Elder Scrolls series) don't make an elder scrolls game. The graphical style they chose is nothing more then the generic fantasy settings seen in countless other fantasy games.From what they've shone there's nothing special that signals Elder Scrolls other then the names of the races and the names of the cities.

The article mentions "There is not much left of the city of Cyrodiil", but Cyrodiil is a region of Tamriel! :O

So the Imperial City war is a PVP-style thing then? Because that sounds like it could be interesting.
But then who gets to be Emperor? All sounds very intriguing to me!

Dr Jones:
The article mentions "There is not much left of the city of Cyrodiil", but Cyrodiil is a region of Tamriel! :O

Cyrodiil City is another name for the Imperial City.

I might check this out if the price is right. Label me as cautiously optimistic.

TheBobmus:
So the Imperial City war is a PVP-style thing then? Because that sounds like it could be interesting.

I'm guessing there is a king of the hill style win conditions, and either some NPC figure for each faction will be crowned Emperor (likely) or some really high ranking player will be Emperor (highly unlikely).

Ragsnstitches:

TheBobmus:

I'm guessing there is a king of the hill style win conditions, and either some NPC figure for each faction will be crowned Emperor (likely) or some really high ranking player will be Emperor (highly unlikely).

I'd prefer some sort of Faction Leader political system, but that might be hoping too much.
But a full PvP style rather than just a solo campaign for the city sounds good!

Too bad players can't form cross race alliances: Imagine how glorious it would be to have all of Tamriel take the fight to the Altmer!

TheBobmus:

Ragsnstitches:

TheBobmus:

I'd prefer some sort of Faction Leader political system, but that might be hoping too much.
But a full PvP style rather than just a solo campaign for the city sounds good!

Something akin to EVEs economical emphasis? Yeah, I think that's asking for too much...

Let's just hope this is a distinctly TES MMO, and not a MMO with TES palette.

When he opened with "I've always felt that the Elder Scrolls games are sort of like single player MMOs."
I stopped caring about his opinion.

Jester Lord:

Dr Jones:

I might check this out if the price is right. Label me as cautiously optimistic.

ive never once heard the Imperial city referred too as the city of cyrodiil, though ive heard cyrodiil referred to as the Imperial Provence

Clive Howlitzer:
When he opened with "I've always felt that the Elder Scrolls games are sort of like single player MMOs."
I stopped caring about his opinion.

pretty much agree with that, elder scrolls has always been far too interesting to be compared to an MMO.

Sounds/looks a lot like SWTOR which sank hard and fast, color me skeptical

"Despite the MMO nature of the game, your own personal story missions will be entirely instanced."

The ESO-tanic docking at a harbor near you. Maiden Voyage date undetermined as of now, but don't worry, it's unsinkable, just like tOR!

Selef:

Jester Lord:

Dr Jones:

ive never once heard the Imperial city referred too as the city of cyrodiil, though ive heard cyrodiil referred to as the Imperial Provence

Same here, the Imperial city was always noted as such in the empires and before that was an Ayleid monument. Aside from that, it's kind of weird seeing the Nords being cooperative with both Dunmer and Argonians albeit tense. Also, no mention of Altmer in the Aldmeri Dominion? Kind of hard to miss the premier fascist race of a nation of fascist elves and cat people.

pleeeeeeeeeeeeease don't suck

The picture on the article is from Hero's Journey, which I find pretty amusing.

I don't like that they race-locked the different factions. I guess it's kind of necessary to keep the Aldmeri Dominion from being flooded by Dark Elves or something, but one of the things I liked in some of the Elder Scrolls games is being the "odd one out". It's one thing for most High Elves to be jerks, it's another for them ALL to be jerks. Same deal the other way, I don't mind knowing that most Bretons are on my side, but how come none of them joined the Aldmeri instead?

It just feels like they're forcing the standard MMO faction gameplay in, and I don't really approve. If the big thing with the Elder Scrolls series is player freedom, wouldn't it be better to let players join whichever faction they like?

They could even make the faction divisions kind of emergent. Give each faction a properly compelling storyline, start the player somewhere neutral with no allegiances(in proper Elder Scrolls fashion), and let the player pick a faction via quests(or work for every faction and play them against one another). If you make it harder for a Nord to join the Aldmeri than for a Khajiit, then you'll probably get more Khajiit than Nords in that faction. Help this along using NPC dialogue...most Nords aren't going to go out of their way to join the Aldmeri if most of the NPCs hate them. Higher prices and rude NPCs would encourage the "correct" racial spread, while still allowing players to do their own thing and join whoever they like as whichever race they prefer.

Is it strange that I read no mention of the Imperials or High Elves? You would think that they would each be core to their own factions, especially the High Elves for the Aldmeri.

Personally though, from what I've heard, its going to be another clone, or at the very least an attempt to compete against World of Warcraft. Which, really, won't work if they make it play the same, according to earlier news.

Though, I really can't be one to judge. I haven't played an MMO before, and while I have played Oblivion and Skyrim, I would hardly be called all that much of a fan. Yes, I love the games, but I find it hard to really get that deep into the backstory.

However, I will say that I doubt it'll be very successful. Though, you never know.

Skyrim = overrated shite!

Expect the MMO, to be hyped up shite.

Texas Joker 52:
Is it strange that I read no mention of the Imperials or High Elves? You would think that they would each be core to their own factions, especially the High Elves for the Aldmeri.

I was thinkin that too actually. I was even more confused because apparently those other three factions are vyin for control of the imperial city, meanin they're all fightin on Imperial lands. I literally know nothin about the lore of Elder Scrolls, but color me confused about that one.

Edit - So that sounds a ton like ToR. Hopefully the instancin is kept to an absolute minimum or they'll run into the same crap that ToR had where the worlds can have a hundred people in it, but still feel completely empty.

TConti:
I wish they would stop saying it looks like an Elder Scrolls game. It doesn't. Orcs, Humans, various shades of elves,cat and lizard people (while all part of the Elder Scrolls series) don't make an elder scrolls game. The graphical style they chose is nothing more then the generic fantasy settings seen in countless other fantasy games.From what they've shone there's nothing special that signals Elder Scrolls other then the names of the races and the names of the cities.

Exactly. Elder Scrolls is known for its immersive and open worlds. Yes some complain about the depth, buts its not about the depth. Its about immersing yourself in the world and lore, and you can do anything and go anywhere anytime you want. Making a linear rpg with invincible npcs (no pickpocketing, stealth, sneak attacks, stealing, etc) and probably no speech traits considering the nature of mmos, is the exact opposite of what the series is known for. You can't take away the strengths that the series has and expect the IP to make up for it alone.

Also the graphical style is just wrong. Its too shiny and stylized for Elder Scrolls.

General Vengeance:
Skyrim = overrated shite!

Expect the MMO, to be hyped up shite.

Made by 2 different development teams first of all.

Second of all, nobody cares that you have an opinion. What's your point in posting that you hate the game? To make yourself feel better about yourself? I'm really quite curious.

Texas Joker 52:
Personally though, from what I've heard, its going to be another clone, or at the very least an attempt to compete against World of Warcraft.

This, basically. Except from what I've seen and heard, from the "more cartoony" style graphics to the factions to the emphasis on PVP, you can barely call it a clone. I think we're getting into rip-off and lawsuit territory here.

I'll reserve final judgement until the game comes out, but color me cynical. Of course, you could just ALWAYS count me as cynical and save yourself a lot of time.

So, bets on how long it's going to take ESO to tank? I'll give good odds on anything more than a month! 10:1 and up!

Every new piece of information I hear about this game makes me not want to play it all the more. I left WoW for a reason. I don't want more of the same.

Hmm, large scale PVP. I wonder if this developer will be able to actually allow it without it turning into a ridiculous slideshow like all the others promising such in recent gaming memory...

sorry, this is 2012, you don't have a excuse not giving us fps combat in a mmo anymore, whatīs the use playing a Elder Scrolls mmo if I canīt do so threw the eyes of my character? Like I done since Oblivion.

My reaction is mixed. The stamina meter sounds great - anything that adds some measure of skill to combat is a Good Thing.
But on the other hand, I despise even two faction stuff in MMOs; three is just stupid incarnate. The point of MMOs is to play with other people - why designate a huge chunk of players I can't play nice with just-because?

...class based...

Aaaaaaaaaaand interest dies. Seriously, if even an Elder Scrolls MMO can't be arsed to employ a skill-based system, I weep for the final and unequivocal death of sandbox MMOs.

Steve Butts:

Journey back a few hundred years to the early days of Tamriel.

Read Full Article

Dear Mr. Butts,

Can you stop claiming that Bethesda is developing the game when they clearly are not. Zenimax is the developer for this game.

Are you trying to make the game appear more credible by pretending that Bethesda is making it?

Thank you.

This actually sounds really good.

I'm cautiously optimistic. I've never played an MMO before, and I plan to start at either this, or Guild Wars 2

Magichead:

...class based...

Aaaaaaaaaaand interest dies. Seriously, if even an Elder Scrolls MMO can't be arsed to employ a skill-based system, I weep for the final and unequivocal death of sandbox MMOs.

Same here, kinda sad itīs the 'small time' mmo makers that tries the new stuff and often lack the money to make it work, while the companies swimming in cash make same old same old MMO-s

na me I rather have a proper, Bethesda made Elder Scrolls game with just 2-4 player co-op

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here