Escape to the Movies: Prometheus

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

FelixG:
I went to the midnight release and I enjoyed it.

The only thing I didnt get was

If anyone could explain THAT to me I would appreciate it!

Spoilers I GUESS (this is like the least interesting thing that could be spoiled in this movie lol):

That was Holloway, Dr. Shaws' boyfriend, if I'm not mistaken. He was clearly infected, and they torched him and left him for dead. As we've seen with the xenomorph, and the genetic material (black goo) that produced it, whatever lifeform gets touched by the black goo tends to become violent and very very tough.

I have to admit though, that was a pretty silly part of the movie. I guess it fit thematically, but it seemed so much like those stupid 50s sci-fi movies MST3K likes to rail on, where some bulky guy waves his arms around and suddenly all the background characters are dead.

Luca72:

FelixG:

Spoilers I GUESS (this is like the least interesting thing that could be spoiled in this movie lol):

That was Holloway, Dr. Shaws' boyfriend, if I'm not mistaken. He was clearly infected, and they torched him and left him for dead. As we've seen with the xenomorph, and the genetic material (black goo) that produced it, whatever lifeform gets touched by the black goo tends to become violent and very very tough.

I have to admit though, that was a pretty silly part of the movie. I guess it fit thematically, but it seemed so much like those stupid 50s sci-fi movies MST3K likes to rail on, where some bulky guy waves his arms around and suddenly all the background characters are dead.

Ahh I thought it was the guy with the worm in his mouth.

Though I have to admit I cant wait for the riftrax version of this!

I was kinda glad that I barely remember most details of the first Alien movie seeing as I was about 12 when I saw it last. Guess it helped me to not notice all these apparent "alien prequel" littered throughout the film.

FelixG:

Luca72:

FelixG:

Ahh I thought it was the guy with the worm in his mouth.

Though I have to admit I cant wait for the riftrax version of this!

Actually you are both wrong. It was the geologist. Boyfriend was torched and that was the end of him, and they found biologist with whole in his head and a snake jumped out and went into the black ooze. The geologist had fallen into the black ooze but his body wasn't there when they found the biologist.

Him being super-strong mutant didn't make any sense to me either until someone earlier in this thread mentioned that they thought the black ooze had transformed the grubs into those snake things. That might make sense if we assume that the ooze mutates different beings, but there isn't any real explanation of that one way or the other. Which I guess I dont really care about, as I'm willing to let the fact that the monsters weren't really explained slide.

Has anyone else seen the "deleted scenes" from the original Alien where they had the alien creature do this weird crab walk movement. I totally got that imagery in my mind when the mutant guy showed up at the ship.

You forgot Mission to Mars. That went down the panspermia rabbit hole as well.

And for what it's really worth, 2001 is probably the first real sci-fi movie to explore this topic, albeit through nudging existing species towards sentience rather than seeding planets directly (suck it, prime directive!), and even though that probably wasn't clear to most people until 2010 came out, if they didn't read the books and - like most people - had no effing clue what the first or last half hour of the first movie was about.

This movie was absolutely the worst piece of shit I've seen this year... and probably last year.

It's only success is how strongly it makes me feel rage and hatred. I just spent an hour ranting about how bad this movie was.

It was absolutely horrendous.

I never heard nor knew anything about Wreck it Ralph .. so I came in this review just hoping Prometheus was a good movie. Found the review accurate thus only going to rent the movie overall- but then at the end I nearly spat my drink across the monitor... when I saw the poster of Wreck it Ralph.

Disney, with video game characters... we came to know and love, are IN IT?!! Ah and then I checked out the trailer- who else agrees with me that it will do probably just as good as Toy Story 3 or be the biggest movie yet (not sure if it will sell like crazy but... crap). Looks really interesting, the plot and the characters especially. Oh man I want to see this!! >_<

WhiteTigerShiro:

GamemasterAnthony:
I saw that Wreck-It-Ralph thing, Bob...and like I asked on another forum, since WHEN is Zangief a bad guy?!? Actually...since it's Pixar, which still has some connections to Disney, and it's about video games, I will be VERY disappointed if we don't see a Tron or Kingdom Hearts based cameo.

1. If the Zangief thing is seriously the only gripe you can come up with to bash the movie, then you're trying too hard to find reasons to bash on the movie. Not to say that I think you're bashing the movie, but honestly, I'm getting tired of hearing about Zangief in EVERY discussion about the movie; and some people who bring it up are using it as a reason to say the movie is gonna be bad.

2. It isn't Pixar; Pixar is working on Brave, right now. Wreck-It Ralph is just Disney.

1. Nah...it isn't a gripe. More like a "WTF?" Zangief was actually one of the good guys since he joined the Joes when the SF2 characters joined the G.I.Joe toy line. So...I guess it's just me thinking it's a psuedo-continuity hiccup.

2. Ah...good to know. Still...my comment about Kingdom Hearts and/or Tron still holds.

I have my reservations about Wreck-It Ralph. Yeah sure all the things about nostalgic video games are sweet (I almost fell off my chair when I realized KANO and a ZOMBIE FROM HOUSE OF THE DEAD were in that Bad-Anon meeting) but everything beyond that seems too clean. it's pretty obvious that "Hero's Duty" is a send-up of Call of Duty and its ilk, but it looks more like a G-rated parody of Halo.

Actually...hadn't thought of it possibly being a Halo satire before. Actually makes it work better in my mind. Nevermind what I said; this could be a hell of a movie.

Once again I find myself going completely against popular opinion (yet oddly with Bob) when I say I absolutely ADORED this movie.

I'm not saying everyone should like it, but it was one of my favorite movie's in years.

This may be in part because I ignored pretty much all the hype for it. I didn't watch many trailers and to be honest, I wasn't looking very forward to it. Furthermore, I knew from the start that it was only a vague prequel to Alien.

Though I think the biggest reason I like it was the visual design. I am a HUGE fan of H.R. Giger's work and he really got to show off in this.
In terms of a movie working purely on its visual, I felt that this was Avatar done right.

I don't know about anyone else, but to me, the script felt very Cohen Brothers, who I love.

Great performances as Bob said with Fassbender stealing the show.
All in all, I couldn't be happier that I saw Prometheus.

Side Note: DAMN IT WRECK-IT-RALPH, WHY WON'T YOU TAKE MY MONEY???

It was alright. I was expecting a great movie (Yeah, I hyped myself. Silly me.), but what I got was merely slightly above average. It really went to shit in the last half, making little to no sense.

MowDownJoe:

GamemasterAnthony:
I saw that Wreck-It-Ralph thing, Bob...and like I asked on another forum, since WHEN is Zangief a bad guy?!?

Street Fighter 2 originally came out in the time of Soviet Russia. Therefore, he was a dirty Commie.

how does that make him bad?

The movie was pretty damn good.Money well spent.

P.S and since Bob mentioned the HC guy i can't miss this oportunity

The movie was overhyped? Good thing Bob didn't have any part in that hype, or else he'd look silly for saying that.

All in all, I thought this was a fair vid. I am disappointed to learn that is IS a prequel. Last I had heard, Scott had said they scrapped that idea and just wrote free. What I want to know is why they stole the Necromonger ships from Riddick

GamemasterAnthony:
2. Ah...good to know. Still...my comment about Kingdom Hearts and/or Tron still holds.

Yeah, even if it's as simple as Sora being a background character (possibly accompanied by Goofy and Donald in their KH garb), it'd be a shame for Disney to not include a character from their own series.

What is with the pauses in the video?
His delivery/editing is actively making it difficult to hear what he's saying.

I need to ask something. Does this movie Really Explains What de Aliens from Alien is as bob says? cause depending on the answer I may or not see the movie

Personally I completely agree Spoony's opinion. This movie is F'ing retarded!
http://spoonyexperiment.com/2012/06/08/vlog-6-8-12-prometheus/

it is a good movie and i had a good time watching it. but yes, it did have some plot holes that could have been explained better.
still can recommend watching it though.

I don't get how bob starts the review suggesting that it might be a victim of overhyped expectations as it is merely a good movie without major flaws. He then spends the next four minutes talking about major flaws.

The fact that the script seems like it went through a rewrite at some point and ended up as two different half explored ideas is a significant flaw. The geologist character is a good example of this. Most of the scenes he seems to be playing hired muscle/grunt but when necessary he is all of a sudden a geologist. It seems they tried to shoe horn two different characters together into one movie. Much of the rest of the movie displays the same character of serving two different sceneplays poorly.

Charlize Theron's character is another example. Great acting but the character keeps implying something more significant that. Evers gets borne out. There seems to be a suggestion that she is going to be a "bad guy" but all she really is efficient and dismissive of others. They clearly dropped the crucial character trait that I won't spoil here.

Prometheus looks good and has some good scenes and some good acting. But the film never fails to do something dumb to force It back into an Alien remake rather than do something smart to create something original. You can go and shut your brain off and enjoy it but the more you think about it, the less you will enjoy it. Over hyped has nothing to do with it. It simply is not that great.

... Deleted as it was a Duplicate post ....

I purposefully abstained from alllllll information about after learning that it could have been an alien prequel from the firs trailer. I'd guesses the space Jockeys were in it, but I'd left everything else up to chance.

From that point, I knew it was going to be a let down.

It's a film that's trying to answer 40 years of questions and convoluted mythos that are so widely understood they're bread and butter horror and space writing.

No matter how good the film was, it was never going to live up to the hype. I'd probably have been better reading as much as I could about so I'd know where the film was going.

I liked it, a lot more than most of my friends who seemed to expecting the second coming or some shit. But I think it just left too many things up the air.

All the little nods too the first film were cool though. Like I said I did enjoy the film, I just wish it would have actually answered questions.

I liked it. I'm willing to believe that a lot of the dangling plot devices will make more sense in the director's cut, as is Ridley Scott's modus operandi.

I'm really not fathoming why this film is getting so much hate, and links to video reviews where within four minutes the duo reviewing can't say anything concrete about why they disliked the movie aren't helping me.

I thought it was pretty good. Far, far better than any summer sci-fi movie or any recent addition to the Aliens franchise has any right to be. I'd say it's far better than nerd favorite the Avengers. While Whedon's Avenger's script was punchy and fun, the movie in general was so much popcorn fluff. Prometheus was actually about stuff, and while not serious sci-fi in the same vein as Contact, Gattaca, District 9, or Sunshine, it still actually attempts to get the audience to think.

I wonder if one of the issues people have about it is that things aren't spelled out for the audience. Lately I'm of a mind where I enjoy movies that don't hold me by the hand and lead me to exactly what they want to say. The more back story that gets illustrated, the less interesting a franchise becomes. Really, this has been a problem with the Alien franchise ever since Aliens [1] Alien gave us the Xenomorph biology. There wasn't really much to that movie conceptually, because the Xenomorphs themselves were the concept. Essentially, the movie was "Let's have a slasher film in space!" What kudos Alien deserves is not from the originality of it's script or concept, but it's tight, tight execution. Aliens gave us insight into Xenomorph herd behavior. After that, there's not much really to tell. But the franchise kept going, in stupider and stupider directions. Alien Resurrection had to insert a bullshit Xenomorph/human hybrid just to give us something new to explain, while AVP gave us a ridiculous inserted relationship with the Predators[2] to explain.

Prometheus gets us back to the territory of the original Alien in that it gives us a whole new, wide map to explore with nice, wide-open spaces marked "Here there be Dragons". I'm quite happy that Ridley Scott thinks enough of me to let me ponder and wonder about his movie without needing to lead me by the hand through every stage of it and tell me exactly how everything works.

[1] NB: I have never seen Aliens 3 or AVP2.
[2] Yes, I know this originally comes from the comics. It's still dumb.

Katatori-kun:
I'm really not fathoming why this film is getting so much hate

Maybe because of how terrible, stupid, and lore breaking it is.

That's just a guess though.

Katatori-kun:

While Whedon's Avenger's script was punchy and fun, the movie in general was so much popcorn fluff. Prometheus was actually about stuff, and while not serious sci-fi in the same vein as Contact, Gattaca, District 9, or Sunshine, it still actually attempts to get the audience to think.

Nevermind... we clearly aren't talking about the same movie here. Your movie was profound and thought invoking, mine was so bad that it only got worse the more you thought about it.

I think I'm going to like this. And the mixed reactions it's getting don't seem to deter me at all. In all fairness, I'm not expecting something deep, and I don't expect that it's going to pretend it's smarter than it actually is (I'm looking at YOU, "The Avengers").

So, I'm keeping hopeful

Draconalis:

Katatori-kun:

See, this doesn't help make it any clearer. I keep hearing angry folks on the Internet harping that it sucks or is stupid or whatever, but never explaining why they think so in concise, concrete terms. I don't want to speak for people and invent my own reason for why the nerds are restless (;)) but given the way the criticism of the movie is being expressed, it's hard not to.

Your movie was profound and thought invoking,

"Profound" may be taking things a little far. I'll say it's smart, maybe not "profound". If the original Matrix could be thought of as "Hey guys, please don't notice I'm disguising Buddhism under a layer of techno posturing and kung fu so you'll all think I'm original and clever," Prometheus could be thought of as "Hey guys, please don't notice I'm disguising some branches of Gnostic thought under space ships and gribbly tentacle-bits so you'll all think I'm original and clever!" However, I thought the first Matrix was a load of pretentious rubbish, while Prometheus at least worked as summer popcorn fun.

In a nutshell, I thought Prometheus was pretty good. Not great, not life changing, but pretty good. My reasons for thinking that are the reasons I've posted here, plus basically an echo of Movie Bob's reasons for liking it. I just wish the fans calling this movie the worst thing ever could take a few breaths, calm down, and give a coherent reason for thinking what they do.

Draconalis:

Katatori-kun:

That's just a guess though.

What lore? The original Alien movie had absolutely zero concrete lore. Apart from the visual design of the space-jockey ship and a few other things nothing is given any real explanation. Ridley Scott was pretty clearly only working from his original film rather than the three that followed it and should be viewed in that context alone.

Frankly, I thought the film was great. Punchy, intelligent, exquisitely designed sci-fi that reminded me of an actual Alien film, rather than the sequels which had none of that special horror sauce that made the first great. As for unanswered questions - the original left about a dozen and nobody bitches about them. The dialogue needed a rewrite or two but apart from that my high expectations were met.

I'm very willing to bet the "awesome" scene pointed out from Ralph winds up being to only time in a very brief period where those characters will actually have a cameo.

Granted, I'm still seeing it when it comes out, but I doubt they'll do much beyond that one scene besides "HEY! THESE ARE VIDJA GAME CAMEOS!!"

I saw this movie yesterday. I quite enjoyed it. A lot actually. I knew it was an Alien prequel even though everyone kept/keeps denying it. If the hype is ignored (which can be difficult), it'll make the movie even better.

Only thing is that a lot of the plot points are really predictable. I bet you can guess what happens most of the time before it even comes to pass.

I was expecting some NSMB2 or NSMBU stuff at the end.
Wreck it Ralph has Bowser, Eggman and Wily, best movie ever.

Oh yeah and not using the newest design of Clyde.
Shame on you Disney, shaaaaaame.

Yeah yeah, people might not know who he is if they don't go with the classic ghost look, I understand that. I'm just nitpicking since they seemed to use all the newest designs for everyone else except Clyde.

/nerd rant

Loved this movie, no idea why. Seriously its actually bugging me that i can't figure out what it was about it. Thought Charlize Theron was a bit underused, in fact a lot of the movie seemed cut down from something larger and the overall story is pretty basic but still i just really enjoyed this. Buying the dvd, watching it everytime its on tv for the rest of time etc.
Not a big fan of Alien in the past more of a Predator guy, but someone got me the quadilogy as a present so its growing on me, Alien3 Directors Cut is surprisingly good.
But back to Prometeus, its NOT a prequel! Ok it is a prequel but when i heard prequel i thought it meant that it was on the same planet as the first Alien which its not, got a little distracting towards the end as i thought it was trying to match up with the original.

By the way, for those who have seen it, remember how old the dead body was, meaning the aliens were planning on doing what they were doing at this date, so think about what was happening at that time which could have influenced there decision. That thought should be really funny for those who can figure out what i'm talking about :lol.

I'm not really a person that goes to see movies, but I really want to see this movie. I think it looks good enough and I think I would enjoy it.

I am going echo many people on this thread and agree that the movie was a large disappointment.
The story felt like fifty ideas that were never fully realized. Which makes sense with the sudden shift in story.

Characters switched between professional capability to baffling ineptitude to fit the story. The supposed archeologists had a total disregard for scientific studies. They spent the first part of the movie bumbling around like high school students. At no point did they carry tools or attempt any sort of excavation procedure. They opened doors and wondered halls without stopping to note anything of the writings or structures around them. In fact the robot had more scientific curiosity than the lot of them. We were led to believe that they had been on multiple dig sites all over the world and yet the movie showed no regard for logic.

They mapped the entire structure but the map was never viewed or discussed unless it directly related to the story. "It's a ship" Well why were you not looking at this before. Not to mention the geologist (remember the one who started the probes in the first place) suddenly gets lost and has no idea how to get out. Long before communications gets knocked out...

I certainly have more gripes about this movie but I will spare them for brevity and spoilers for later in the movie.

Overall I think the biggest issue with this movie isn't that it was over hyped but that too many people are willing to overlook poor story telling because of nostalgia, brilliant acting, and gorgeous set pieces.

If you want me to turn my brain off to enjoy this movie I am with that. But don't put in such large ideas and then treat me like an idiot.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here