Escape to the Movies: Prometheus

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Urgh, what a silly review.
Yet again, he reviews what he wanted rather than what was given. If Bob did not know about the changes made to the film (which are allowed as Ridley is you know, making the damn film), would he have mentioned them? Of course not.

A lot of people are mad that this movie upsets the "canon", but it was meant to. Have you ever heard Ridley Scott talk about the Alien sequels? He isn't interested in any of them. And think about what we tend to get from Alien sequels:
Facehuggers, at least one exploding chest, aliens jumping out of the darkness and grabbing someone, an android, a scene about how "oh shit they're smarter than we thought", etc.

In other words, same shit over and over. AvP is bullshit, but I know I don't have to rail on that here. Even the expanded universe, which mostly takes an Aliens approach, is pretty derivative. A lot of the comics/books are okay, but they're all kind of ripping ideas off Heinlein and other better scifi writers.

What made Alien so effective was a good cast of characters that felt real, a realistically beat up and average space-tug, and an alien that no one knew shit about. Facehuggers aren't scary when you're expecting them, but when you're introduced to the concept, it's shockingly effective.

For all it's flaws at least Prometheus had the balls to make 180 turn for the franchise. No more Predators, no more action movie where thousands of aliens get mowed down. It's becoming its' own unique franchise. The way they depicted the alien birth at the end was enough to sell me on a sequel. Instead of trying to freak you out with gore and loud noises, it actually looked like the horrible, messy birth of a brand new lifeform. I like that there's a mystery to the xenomorphs' evolution again - in a Prometheus sequel none of us would have any idea what to expect.

Katatori-kun:

See, this doesn't help make it any clearer. I keep hearing angry folks on the Internet harping that it sucks or is stupid or whatever, but never explaining why they think so in concise, concrete terms. I don't want to speak for people and invent my own reason for why the nerds are restless (;)) but given the way the criticism of the movie is being expressed, it's hard not to.

Telling you here and now would only repeat what many people have already said within this very thread. Read pages 1-3 and you'll come across a number of people who actively describe all the reasons this movie was terrible.

FargoDog:

What lore? The original Alien movie had absolutely zero concrete lore. Apart from the visual design of the space-jockey ship and a few other things nothing is given any real explanation. Ridley Scott was pretty clearly only working from his original film rather than the three that followed it and should be viewed in that context alone.

Events in this movie contradict the setting in the alien. That lore.

And it makes me cringe when I hear people describe this utterly retarded movie as "smart".

Draconalis:
Events in this movie contradict the setting in the alien. That lore.

HOW?

Yeah, this movie isn't any good. Best part is Fassbender.

Mispost

Katatori-kun:

HOW?

It's been pointed out to me that this planet isn't apparently the same planet as the one in Alien, so I digress, it's not nearly as lore breaking as I thought.

That being said, those two guys you've dismissed, break down every little idiotic event that makes this movie bad. Watching them is kind of annoying, but I agree with what they are saying, if not how.

It's a series of stupid events leading to even more stupid events. The events in this entire movie could have been avoided if even one person exercised any precautions. I whispered to my wife "These are the worst scientists ever" no less than three times.

Seriously, forget about the story elements, the lore, or some of the central themes of the movie (like religion, which was terribly implemented). Just observe how massively idiotic these guys are. That aspect of the movie alone just shattered all immersion.

Am I really alone in feeling like there was alot more planned for Fassbender and Theron in the film's conclusion?

I keep thinking about that T.E. Laurence reference early on, Charlize's introduction as a badass female, and that fancy surgical booth (and the associated surgical scene).

And the conclusion I keep reaching is that at one point Fassbender was going to wind up watching her "birth" the first alien whilst quoting Laurence of Arabia.

sravankb:

Seriously, forget about the story elements, the lore, or some of the central themes of the movie (like religion, which was terribly implemented). Just observe how massively idiotic these guys are. That aspect of the movie alone just shattered all immersion.

You're forgetting the

But seriously, each thing you said... exactly what I said as the film was going on. Especially the bit about the atmosphere, I almost screamed that outloud in the cinema.

Not to mention Weyland,

There was a lot about that film that was just plain bad. Disregarding that it didn't really answer any of the questions people had been asking for a good 40 years.

I just saw Prometheus and it isn't very good at all. It has two major problems.

The first is that it's a prequel. If the original film is like watching a Chess game between two masters, then a prequel is like watching the board get set up. This is why prequels should never be made. They do not get to tell their own story. They only get to show you how the circumstances came to be the way they were at the beginning of the original. It's not a good story and not a story worth telling.

The second problem is the spiritual nature of the story. It's about a group of people seeking the beings who created mankind. To find them and maybe learn something from them. This is the big idea stuff that encouraged Scott to change the script. It's just completely shallow. These are deep and meaningful topics and the movie just wears them on its head like a drunk wearing a lamp shade at a party. It doesn't explore these questions. it doesn't even care about these question. It mistakenly thinks that by just mentioning these questions it will look deep and meaningful. I am reminded of Star Trek the Motion Picture, which had similar big ideas handled without any interest.

Prometheus is a very disappointing movie, and it would be even if it wasn't tied to the Alien franchise. Nothing is accomplished in it. Nothing is worth your time. Even the film doesn't think so.

Draconalis:
It's been pointed out to me that this planet isn't apparently the same planet as the one in Alien, so I digress, it's not nearly as lore breaking as I thought.

Really? That must be last minute excuse making unless those ships always land in exactly the same position when they crash.

the antithesis:

Draconalis:

Really? That must be last minute excuse making unless those ships always land in exactly the same position when they crash.

I never saw it, but apparently they did show the moon's name, and it's different from the one in Alien... which ultimately means this movie has fuck all to do with the Xenomorphs.

It was still a terrible... TERRIBLE movie.

I saw this movie today. I had to read the thread here to catch some of the subtleties, but even after that there are several things I don't get. Looking for someone to explain these to me (or commiserate with me in a giant "wtf".)

*** Spoiler related questions: ***

1. Why didn't they make the 2 idiots that got killed by the giant worms just normal grunts? Why make them scientists? They clearly weren't critical thinkers (i.e. scientists, though I realize none of the scientists acted like scientists). Just make them hired goons. Then it makes their idiocy slightly more believable. I guess this is likely due to the re-writes mentioned by Bob and others, but what were the writers thinking?

2. Why did David infect Charlie? That made no sense to me. Did I miss something explaining the reasoning? It seemed like David clearly had a plan in mind but it wasn't clear to me how he decided this was the right course of action. I guess he chose Charlie perhaps because Charlie was a total jerk to him, but why did he choose to infect any humans?

3. Why did Charlie get infected with goo and then proceed to just die, while the geologist turned into a super-human zombie that tried to kill everyone? They had previously established that the goo just seemed to kill the engineers. While I appreciate a bit of mystery and not hand-holding your audience through the movie, the danger is a seemingly arbitrary and random set of sci-fi "stuff" that does whatever the script writers want at any point in time. Put another way, if you aren't going to explain why the strange sci-fi stuff causes thing to happen, there needs to be consistency in how it effects the world so the audience can figure it out.

*** End Spoiler ***

There were several really big plot holes. I feel like Bob has reviewed better movies and given them a bad review, so why does he like this one? Maybe that is a case of the hype getting to him and altering his view.

Cousin_IT:
Personally, I thought it was shit. Two hours or gaping plotholes, undeveloped characters, Deus Ex Machina story progression & a story/screenplay that frankly can be summed up as a greyer Mission to Mars with some Alien references thrown in whenever they wanted to remind me why I paid Ģ11 to sit through it all. Oh, & there was an extended Spiderman trailer at the beginning that was so ball achingly bad I felt genuinely uncomfortable in the crotch area.

There weren't really any gaping plotholes, the movie just didn't spoonfeed you. Which is awesome, good movies should create a dialogue.

You have to think about it a bit, after a bit of discussion my friends and I figured pretty much everything out that we could.

The rest of the unanswered stuff was just annoyingly left unanswered.

Overall it was a really solid movie, I enjoyed it very much.

I think Bob is clearly being paid off for his reviews because from what I've heard this movie is well shot but incredibly stupid. And I trust them more to be unbiased then I do Bob.

Draconalis:

the antithesis:

Draconalis:

I never saw it, but apparently they did show the moon's name, and it's different from the one in Alien... which ultimately means this movie has fuck all to do with the Xenomorphs.

It was still a terrible... TERRIBLE movie.

Terrible? Very good acting, solid pacing, great shots, and thought provoking if you actually try and look at it past the surface.

Man if you think Prometheus is terrible I'd hate to hear what you think of movies that are actually...well bad.

Also, "fuck all to do with Xenomorphs"? Really? Did you even watch the film?

There was a clear undeniable link to this movie and the Xenomorphs...it is quite unmistakable. But I don't want to spoil it for people so PM me if you want an explanation.

Nautical Honors Society:

Terrible? Very good acting, solid pacing, great shots, and thought provoking if you actually try and look at it past the surface.

Man if you think Prometheus is terrible I'd hate to hear what you think of movies that are actually...well bad.

There was a clear undeniable link to this movie and the Xenomorphs...it is quite unmistakable. But I don't want to spoil it for people so PM me if you want an explanation.

That's a really good list of all the things this movie lacked... though it's unfair to say the robot didn't tear it up in the acting portion.

And since this isn't the world where the first Xenomorph was encountered, and the Xenomorph species already exists (There mural portrayed a Xenomorph apparently), it's mostly just a movie that features the space jockeys.

Draconalis:

Nautical Honors Society:

That's a really good list of all the things this movie lacked... though it's unfair to say the robot didn't tear it up in the acting portion.

And since this isn't the world where the first Xenomorph was encountered, and the Xenomorph species already exists (There mural portrayed a Xenomorph apparently), it's mostly just a movie that features the space jockeys.

No that is a list of things the movie did not lack...hence why I listed them. Opinions bro.

Dude I won't spoil things for people, I won't talk about it here. I said PM me. Otherwise whatever.

GamemasterAnthony:
I saw that Wreck-It-Ralph thing, Bob...and like I asked on another forum, since WHEN is Zangief a bad guy?!? Actually...since it's Pixar, which still has some connections to Disney, and it's about video games, I will be VERY disappointed if we don't see a Tron or Kingdom Hearts based cameo.

Too bad the "prequel" aspect of Prometheus prevented some immersion. Scott probably should have kept a tighter lid on things.

It's actually just a disney film, it's not being made by Pixar. To extended the written part, I'm still probably going to see Prometheus, but my expectations have been a little lowered, though to be honest they weren't super high to begin with. Not that I'm saying I thought it would be bad, mainly it was just that I wasn't overly thrilled or angry about its existence.

Nautical Honors Society:

No that is a list of things the movie did not lack...hence why I listed them. Opinions bro.

Well... since you know how opinions work... then why are you trying to change my opinion that it's terrible?

Draconalis:

Nautical Honors Society:

Well... since you know how opinions work... then why are you trying to change my opinion that it's terrible?

I was just shocked by your choice of adjective.

Nautical Honors Society:

Yes, terrible. The acting was okay, but never even came close to getting me emotionally involved with the characters. Rapace and her husband/boyfriend/whatever had minimal chemistry, and everything about their connection felt rushed, like they had to bring him on screen just long enough to do his plot-relevant bit.

The visuals were okay, but nothing about them really stands out or makes me want to see them again. You expect them to do good visuals in a SF movie this expensive.

Everything else was bad. The pacing was bad, the dialogue was mediocre, the plot came to rely more and more on Movie Stupidity to make it work, and so forth.

Tenzen:
I saw this movie today. I had to read the thread here to catch some of the subtleties, but even after that there are several things I don't get. Looking for someone to explain these to me (or commiserate with me in a giant "wtf".)

1. Why didn't they make the 2 idiots that got killed by the giant worms just normal grunts? Why make them scientists? They clearly weren't critical thinkers (i.e. scientists, though I realize none of the scientists acted like scientists). Just make them hired goons. Then it makes their idiocy slightly more believable. I guess this is likely due to the re-writes mentioned by Bob and others, but what were the writers thinking?

2. Why did David infect Charlie? That made no sense to me. Did I miss something explaining the reasoning? It seemed like David clearly had a plan in mind but it wasn't clear to me how he decided this was the right course of action. I guess he chose Charlie perhaps because Charlie was a total jerk to him, but why did he choose to infect any humans?

3. Why did Charlie get infected with goo and then proceed to just die, while the geologist turned into a super-human zombie that tried to kill everyone? They had previously established that the goo just seemed to kill the engineers. While I appreciate a bit of mystery and not hand-holding your audience through the movie, the danger is a seemingly arbitrary and random set of sci-fi "stuff" that does whatever the script writers want at any point in time. Put another way, if you aren't going to explain why the strange sci-fi stuff causes thing to happen, there needs to be consistency in how it effects the world so the audience can figure it out.

*** End Spoiler ***

There were several really big plot holes. I feel like Bob has reviewed better movies and given them a bad review, so why does he like this one? Maybe that is a case of the hype getting to him and altering his view.

http://cavalorn.livejournal.com/584135.html#cutid1

It's all about Space Jesus...or something.

Donīt understand why so many people complain that the movie doesnīt explain or answer the questions raised. Since when did good sci-fi explain or answer anything? Itīs meant to provoke thought and reflection, not answer questions.

I donīt think Prometheus is perfect, i think it could have done with more scenes of dialouge between the characters. There are som plot threads that seems a bit underdeveloped. But aside from that i thought it was great. I liked that it only rarely felt the need to explain anything, as i see it the movie is pretty bold that way. It doesnīt expect it doesnīt think for the audience. First time i saw it i was a bit dissapointed, but i was really liking it the second time, more than i expected to.

gim73:

"I'm gonna bring this flame-thrower for protection!"
"Hell no, this is a SCIENCE expedition. Just because we are heading into an unknown enviroment doesn't mean that we can't assume that everything is safe and the 'engineers' will welcome us with open arms. After all, we must have been INVITED here by all the ancient peoples of the world."

I think its Rapaces character making that decision? Sheīs highly religious, and i think they kind of expect their creators to be friendly, they are essentially going to meet god, they donīt expect to be met with hostility. They also state at one point that they see the cave paintings as an invitation. They arenīt expecting bad things, hence they donīt see the need for weapons.

Katatori-kun:

Draconalis:

Katatori-kun:
I'm really not fathoming why this film is getting so much hate

Maybe because of how terrible, stupid, and lore breaking it is.

See, this doesn't help make it any clearer. I keep hearing angry folks on the Internet harping that it sucks or is stupid or whatever, but never explaining why they think so in concise, concrete terms. I don't want to speak for people and invent my own reason for why the nerds are restless (;)) but given the way the criticism of the movie is being expressed, it's hard not to.

Well, the guys in the Spoony video you mentioned earlier did actually go into the specifics of what exactly was wrong with the movie. The part you watched was pretty much the spoiler-free part. They went into quite some detail after that, although they were wrong on a couple of counts, especially later on in the review.

That said, I feel this film is a big enough disappointment I'll go ahead and mention some of my problems with it. Problems mostly as in specific events in the movie, so this is the spoiler warning.

-The very first scene of the film shows us, straight up, one of the Engineers seeding its DNA on earth. The problem with this scene is mostly that it's completely disconnected from the rest of the movie, and later on in the film, people make statements that make zero sense unless viewed in the context of this prologue. Which nobody but the audience was aware of.

-One of the early scenes of the film. The scientists are done recovering after the cryo-sleep and it's mission briefing. We get (re-)introduced to the ancient paintings that have been popping up all over the Earth, paintings which depict a large humanoid pointing at a specific, I don't know, star cluster? Now, that is a perfectly good idea of how to set up the journey to whatever planet the film was set in, but it's followed by a completely idiotic idea right after that. As a conclusion of the presentation, the female protagonist says that she believes these aliens created mankind. Which was followed by another scientist asking a perfectly valid question - "You got anything to back that up?" - which was followed by probably the stupidest line in the whole thing: "That's what I choose to believe."

That's right, a scientist jumps to a conclusion for zero fucking reason, then basically says "I believe because I believe", and, even more insultingly, that's where the bloody conversation ends. Everybody is fine with the explanation. A team of 17 smart-to-brilliant people have no problem with simply assuming the bloody thing you have to prove. It's almost like we're talking about a universe where smart people have about 80IQ, which, actually, would be fairly consistent with a lot of the rest of the movie. But it's not good writing.

-When they get to the alien structure thing, they find out that the air there doesn't have the volatile levels of CO2 that the rest of the planet has. The first instinct of these 'scientists'? Let's take off our helmets. Really. We're talking about a remote alien planet we've basically just discovered, we have completely zero clue about what the fuck kind of a structure we're in, yeah, let's take off our helmets right away. It's not like there are millions of potential toxins or species of fungi, bacteria or viruses that we could inhale. Oh no no no. All that matters are the CO2 levels. And again, the only reasonable reaction is presented very mildly - "You don't know what else might be in the air!" - and that argument is dropped right then and fucking there, with a "Don't be such a sceptic" remark. At this point the film is just insultingly unsientific/ignorance-ridden/simple-minded.

-Regarding the two schmucks. Almost nothing about them getting lost made sense. There is simply no way they could have gotten lost given that:
A) They started leaving way earlier than the rest of the crew;
B) They all have radio communication;
C) Said radio communication hadn't yet begun being interfered with by the storm (which doesn't matter, they should still have been able to communicate with other people still inside by the time they got lost);
D) There is a 3D map on the bloody ship and they could've asked for directions.
Unless, of course, they were fucking idiots. Then they make one of the few logical decisions in the movie by going away from a life force picked up by a scanner, and follow it up - again - by a really, really stupid decision, by camping out in a creepy room with some sort of containers and black Venom goo flowing all over it. But that's not where it ends, oh no.

Then a huge worm with some weird vagina head approaches them. Their reaction? "It's so beautiful, let's get closer!". And the scene gets stupider, and stupider, with every passing second. First off, I'm having a real hard time buying what's supposed to be beautiful about it. Second, the whole time the alien is warning the guy - hissing, opening its vagina face, snapping at him - and it's like the dude is completely fucking oblivious to the most basic sort of animal language. It's like he thinks that's how animals flirt, because he hasn't seen a single snake/cat or any other creature that displays these sorts of behaviors. Of course, being a complete raving lunatic moron proud "Biologist", he repeatedly tries touching it. There is literally no way of explaining this sort of stupidity, and it's at this point that anyone that's half-decently educated should start feeling offended by the film. Again, these are supposed to be scientists. God, my fucking brain.

-After the researchers retreat from the storm back into the ship with a decapitated head they conveniently found on the ground, they conduct research on it. It starts off fairly reasonably. They spray it with some sort of decontaminants and they scan it. The scan reveals that the outer shell isn't an exoskeleton, but is rather a helmet. Okay. They take off the helmet, and this is where everything slowly but incrementally starts falling apart. It turns out to basically be a human head (alien human head), that we, oh by the way, already know is about 2000 years old.

So they start taking a look at the head, and the first weird thing they notice about it is that there are some sort of bumps on the forehead. This is the second part where characters in the film jump straight to a conclusion without being pointed to it in any way. "It looks like his skin was changing", which was what the audience saw in the first two minutes.. All the scientists saw were some dark veins and bumps. How the hell do you come from that to "his skin was changing" without so much as considering things like cancer, fashion, or that species simply looking like that naturally? Has there at least been one disease in recorded history that was even remotely like that, so you could have somewhere to base your completely unfounded conclusions on?

Then something so ludicrous happens, I'm not even going to dwell on it. What they decide to do with the, I repeat, thousands of years old head, is - quote: "Trick it into thinking it's alive"; by sticking a needle into the neck and running electricity through it. This is so immensely stupid, I think it speaks for itself. Oh, and by the way, after actually coming to life, it does another thing for completely no reason - it explodes. Moving on.

The barrage of stupid doesn't end there. After that, they check out the alien's DNA, and it turns out... It's exactly like ours! "But wait a minute", I hear you say - "Why is that stupid?" Well, it's simple. The aliens aren't quite like us, and if that were to be reflected anywhere, it's in their DNA. And it may or may not make zero sense on another level, depending on when the "seeding" of humans happened. If it were right at the edge of prehistory, fine, but the further you move back, the more change evolution would've effected on us. So if it happened something like 200,000 years ago, there would be quite some difference between the DNA of a human today and back then, which means the DNA of the alien and the human couldn't match on a whole 'nother level. And if it did happen right at the edge of prehistory, shouldn't it have happened many, many times to seed us to all the different places like Asia and Africa and Europe, given that we wouldn't be dealing with time periods as big as dozens of thousands of years?

I would like to call into question the whole idea of this human-only-panspermia without even taking into account all the evidence of evolution in the form of genetics and archaeological findings. And I'll do this in a single question, because this is already getting really ranty and TL;DR. How, exactly, is a creature being dissolved into genetic material (maybe not even that, because we see the actual DNA strands getting dissolved too, so who the fuck knows) going to create more creatures like it?

There were quite a few more stupid things about the films, although the ones that pop right into my head were fairly minor in comparison, so I won't bother.

That isn't to say every idea in the film was stupid and all the dialogue was terrible. Only most of them were, but there were some brilliant moments in the film, which, frankly, make it all the more disappointing.

In the end, the most favorable way I can describe Prometheus is as "passable". It has almost no smart writing whether it concerns the plot or the dialogue, and all it has going for it, really, are the visuals and the gore. The film looks absolutely amazing. Overall, I'm glad there's at least a big budget sci-fi film with balls to come out, and I hope this is sort of successful, but a storytelling achievement this is not. And the sequel better shed whoever the hell is responsible for that.

Casey Goddard:

Tenzen:

*** End Spoiler ***

http://cavalorn.livejournal.com/584135.html#cutid1

You have GOT to be fucking kidding me...

THAT is the big secret Mr. Scott came up with? The ALIEN franchise has to bend over and take it up the ass, AGAIN, because we needed another fucking morality play about a loudmouth from Jerusalem who's most noteworthy achievement was BEING EXECUTED?! GAH!

Alright, I rescind my moderately positive opinion. Fuck this movie. Michael Fassbender's contributions are the only thing in it worth seeing- and I'd recommend watching them on youtube or via bit torrent if I were you.

NO ONE deserves a paycheck for dragging the flogged rotted horse that is christian allegory into another goddamn setting. ESPECIALLY one that was doing perfectly fine without it.

And seeing as how I no longer give a shit about spoilers, I have gotta put this out there: I can't be alone in being let down by the above monster reveal. Honest to Christ (lol), they took the most interesting creature concept they had- and went the most boring direction imaginable with it. They took the original Xenomorph, then gave it a dick-ectomy, and made the most iconic aspect of its design lamer by 50%.

Can you say rushed?But thats what you get when you do a change up in mid production.

Emiscary:

THAT is the big secret Mr. Scott came up with? The ALIEN franchise has to bend over and take it up the ass, AGAIN, because we needed another fucking morality play about a loudmouth from Jerusalem who's most noteworthy achievement was BEING EXECUTED?! GAH!

Alright, I rescind my moderately positive opinion. Fuck this movie. Michael Fassbender's contributions are the only thing in it worth seeing- and I'd recommend watching them on youtube or via bit torrent if I were you.

NO ONE deserves a paycheck for dragging the flogged rotted horse that is christian allegory into another goddamn setting. ESPECIALLY one that was doing perfectly fine without it.

And seeing as how I no longer give a shit about spoilers, I have gotta put this out there: I can't be alone in being let down by the above monster reveal. Honest to Christ (lol), they took the most interesting creature concept they had- and went the most boring direction imaginable with it. They took the original Xenomorph, then gave it a dick-ectomy, and made the most iconic aspect of its design lamer by 50%.

Did you read that entire thing? There's more to it than just Space Jesus, that's maybe one part of a larger theme on religion and god.

First of all, thank you for taking the time to write an opinion, as opposed to following the trend on the Internet of thinking that repeated use of swearing and the word "sucks" is enough to demonstrate an opinion. I appreciate it. That said...

Hammeroj:
Well, the guys in the Spoony video you mentioned earlier did actually go into the specifics of what exactly was wrong with the movie.

I'm sure they did. But if getting to those specifics requires waiting through 4 minutes of personal stuff I don't care about and a vague game of who can one-up the other with a stronger version of "it sucks," I can't be bothered to sit through it. Presentation matters, and I'm not into vanity vlogs.

-The very first scene of the film shows us, straight up, one of the Engineers seeding its DNA on earth. The problem with this scene is mostly that it's completely disconnected from the rest of the movie, and later on in the film, people make statements that make zero sense unless viewed in the context of this prologue. Which nobody but the audience was aware of.

I disagree, but without knowing exactly what you're referring to, I can't say more.

As a conclusion of the presentation, the female protagonist says that she believes these aliens created mankind. Which was followed by another scientist asking a perfectly valid question - "You got anything to back that up?" - which was followed by probably the stupidest line in the whole thing: "That's what I choose to believe."

That's right, a scientist jumps to a conclusion for zero fucking reason, then basically says "I believe because I believe", and, even more insultingly, that's where the bloody conversation ends. Everybody is fine with the explanation.

I wonder if this might be where a lot of people turned off of the movie. If a lot of people have such a visceral reaction to the fact that one of the characters is religious that it colors the whole movie. Certainly that seems to be the case with Emiscary, when he wrote the following:

Emiscary:

Casey Goddard:

To which I have to say, "Get over it." Some people have beliefs. Some characters is movies have beliefs. Sometimes they don't do everything rationally. That's life.

Shaw and her partner Holloway are true believers. They've bought the ancient astronauts line hook, line, and sinker, and aren't prepared to be truly rigorous about it. If it weren't for the Weyland corporation having an ulterior motive for funding them, they would have been relegated to the fringe of their field. But you are wrong, everyone is clearly not fine with their explanation. The problem is the other scientists in the crew aren't in charge. Shaw and Holloway are. When you're thousands of miles from home under the authority of a true believer, you snicker to yourself and try to get the job done as fast as possible. No one thought they'd actually find life- in fact this is even explicitly commented on in the movie.

Incidentally Emiscary, the film is not a Jesus allegory. If anything, I see parallels with some Gnostic heresies.

-When they get to the alien structure thing, they find out that the air there doesn't have the volatile levels of CO2 that the rest of the planet has. The first instinct of these 'scientists'? Let's take off our helmets.

That's not the first instinct of "these scientists". That's the first instinct of Holloway, whom the film routinely characterizes as reckless. And again, a true believer. The other scientists only follow suit when he shows himself to be okay. Now it may be a bit of a stretch when for them to follow through so quickly, but A) I assume space suits, even in the future, are uncomfortable with a limited air supply so no one wants to wear them unnecessarily, and B) I did not pay $10 to watch people bicker for 30 minutes about wearing space suits. Even with the full glass domes I found it difficult to tell who was who while they were wearing their suits, so frankly I don't mind the helmets coming off. I paid to see a thriller. One cannot have a thriller if we have to wade through hours of scientific procedure just to get to the monsters going "a-bloogie-woogie-woo!"

It's not like there are millions of potential toxins or species of fungi, bacteria or viruses that we could inhale. Oh no no no. All that matters are the CO2 levels. And again, the only reasonable reaction is presented very mildly - "You don't know what else might be in the air!" - and that argument is dropped right then and fucking there, with a "Don't be such a sceptic" remark.

They might not have had the technology to scan for those other things. Someone was going to have to take their helmet off eventually.

Another thing you have to keep in mind, these characters were gradually losing their heads. This is to be expected when a human encounters a far more advanced alien. Shaw and Halloway had been telling these people they were looking for God, and then contrary to their expectations they almost immediately encounter a "miracle". Let me tell you- if I was a researcher moments away from confirming my theory through an encounter with my creator, I'd be careless too. We all would. It's hard to keep your thoughts straight when you're about to become one of the discoverers of the most important thing in history.

-Regarding the two schmucks. Almost nothing about them getting lost made sense. There is simply no way they could have gotten lost given that:
A) They started leaving way earlier than the rest of the crew;
B) They all have radio communication;
C) Said radio communication hadn't yet begun being interfered with by the storm (which doesn't matter, they should still have been able to communicate with other people still inside by the time they got lost);
D) There is a 3D map on the bloody ship and they could've asked for directions.
Unless, of course, they were fucking idiots. Then they make one of the few logical decisions in the movie by going away from a life force picked up by a scanner, and follow it up - again - by a really, really stupid decision, by camping out in a creepy room with some sort of containers and black Venom goo flowing all over it. But that's not where it ends, oh no.

Panic. That's the only explanation you need. Even scientists panic sometimes.

Then a huge worm with some weird vagina head approaches them. Their reaction? "It's so beautiful, let's get closer!".

You're mischaracterizing it- Milburn, the biologist, wanted to get closer. Fifield, the geologist, wanted nothing to do with it and was becoming increasingly panicked. As for the biologist, yes, he made a stupid choice. Once again, scientist on the verge of discovering something that would have made him one of the most important people in his field. If you were a biologist meeting an alien speicies for the first time, you'd probably be tempted to interact with it too.

Second, the whole time the alien is warning the guy - hissing, opening its vagina face, snapping at him - and it's like the dude is completely fucking oblivious to the most basic sort of animal language.

A basic response to animal psychology is confidence. When a dog growls, you don't make jerky movements to back away. When a snake hisses, you don't startle. This is how you calm jittery animals.

This is the second part where characters in the film jump straight to a conclusion without being pointed to it in any way. "It looks like his skin was changing", which was what the audience saw in the first two minutes.. All the scientists saw were some dark veins and bumps. How the hell do you come from that to "his skin was changing" without so much as considering things like cancer, fashion, or that species simply looking like that naturally?

You're knit-picking. We saw the skin change while the characters were examining it. They said nothing that wasn't blatantly obvious.

"Trick it into thinking it's alive"; by sticking a needle into the neck and running electricity through it.

That was pretty silly. So you've got 1 point.

It's exactly like ours! "But wait a minute", I hear you say - "Why is that stupid?" Well, it's simple. The aliens aren't quite like us, and if that were to be reflected anywhere, it's in their DNA.

"Exactly" may be an exagerration. Chimapnzees share what, 97% of human DNA? DNA doesn't say, "Hey, I'm going to make you 6 feet tall versus 10 feet tall." It merely encodes the chemicals that trigger hormones that will eventually make you 10 feet tall. It's entirely conceivable that this alien shares 99.95% of human DNA. You're essentially quibbling over a rounding error.

I would like to call into question the whole idea of this human-only-panspermia without even taking into account all the evidence of evolution in the form of genetics and archaeological findings. And I'll do this in a single question, because this is already getting really ranty and TL;DR. How, exactly, is a creature being dissolved into genetic material (maybe not even that, because we see the actual DNA strands getting dissolved too, so who the fuck knows) going to create more creatures like it?

That's not a plot-hole, that's just Ridley Scott not leading you by the hand through the back story. I've got my theory about it, but it requires giving away lots. If someone wants to make a thread discussing the big ideas in Prometheus maybe I'll join in, but this is more a thread about whether or not it's worth watching. I'd like to think that the mere fact I was interested enough to come up with a theory is a sign that yes, it is worth watching.

It has almost no smart writing whether it concerns the plot or the dialogue,

I disagree. I found the plot to be quite clever. There are several levels of symbolism echoed between the human characters' relationship with the Engineers and the Android's relationship with the humans. As for the dialogue, I would say it wasn't "punchy". That doesn't make it bad. In fact, I preferred it to the popular trend of characters speaking cleverly but completely unnaturally (which Joss Whedon has an unfortunate tendency to write, if you're looking for an example of what I refer to. Sex in the City is another show absolutely plagued with faux-clever writing, as is anything Kevin Smith even touches a paper near.) Finger-quotes "witty" dialogue would have only distracted me from the movie. Whenever I hear scripting like that I find it difficult to concentrate because all I can ever hear the characters really saying is, (spoken in the script writers' voices) "Please notice we are terribly, terribly clever!"

I get the impression a lot of people came into this movie wanting "Interview with a face hugger," and when they found out they weren't getting that and discovered they were getting something ambiguously dealing with religious questions, immediately just decided they hated it and refused to sit back and enjoy. It's not a great movie. But it is a good movie, and unworthy of the nerd-rage it's getting.

Nautical Honors Society:

I was just shocked by your choice of adjective.

Other words I've used:

Horrendous

Atrociously bad

Garbage

Hammeroj:
It's almost like we're talking about a universe where smart people have about 80IQ, which, actually, would be fairly consistent with a lot of the rest of the movie.

Sorry, I have to stop right there! That's it!

It's brilliant when you think about it! And it all makes perfect sense now!

I've been wrong from the very start!

See? I was thinking this movie was set in the Aliens universe, but it's not! It's a much more amazing idea than this.

It's set in the Idiocracy universe! It fits perfectly!

animehermit:

Emiscary:

Did you read that entire thing? There's more to it than just Space Jesus, that's maybe one part of a larger theme on religion and god.

I'm aware they went wide with the whole "magical invisible man with a codified list of rules" concept. The fact that the name of the film is a Greek deity is a pretty solid indicator or such.

Well dispite all the crying of how bad this movie was I still saw it and not once did I see a major movie breaking flaw in it, it had some flaws dont get me wronge its not perfect. But I can't see how its so god aweful no one should ever watch it. I quite enjoyed it.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here