Jimquisition: GUNS GUNS GUNS GUNS GUNS GUNS GUNS

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

GUNS GUNS GUNS GUNS GUNS GUNS GUNS

E3 2012 was considered by many to be the most gun-heavy show we have ever seen. However, looking back upon the week, there really were no more shooters than usual. In fact, most of the games were featured in last year's lineup! So, why was it that we felt there was too much bullet-spewing this year?

The problem was not the abundance of FPS titles, but the lack of anything else to offset them. When you remove the endless sport talk, there was really ... nothing.

Follow Jim on twitter for a chance to win Twitter updates from Jim: @JimSterling

New episodes of Jimquisition appear every Monday, only at The Escapist.

Watch Video

Agreed, this is why I tend to ignore E3 its just a lot of hype. I'm actually looking forward to the new NFS title more than any of the new FPS just because I'm getting rather bored of them.

As long as people keep buying FPS titles in the millions, I don't think we'll see diversity.

It was such a homogeneous show you could call it the Cartridge Family.

The real question here is, where can I buy that Motivational Tape you were listening too?

But yeah, there were a lot of shooters shown and a whole lot of nothing else. Though Nintendos' Conference was pretty neat, they didn't show too much in the ways of actual game play either.

At least there's GDC which tends to have some Indy shops there which are ALWAYS doing newer, better, things.

It says a lot when Sony stuck out the most this year with a Smash Bros. Brawl game, a new Heavy Rain, and a new Uncharted. *sigh*

Ere is your flamingo. Rrrride eet.

Casual Shinji:
It says a lot when Sony stuck out the most this year with a Smash Bros. Brawl game, a new Heavy Rain, and a new Uncharted. *sigh*

*Fucking Facepalm* Why the HELL did I not say that? Thank God for you.

Dude, did you miss Sony's presentation? It introduced a lot of games that were not First Person Shooters. Wonderbook was different than anything else that was out there. The Last of Us presented a unique form of combat that was not as clean as seen in other AAA titles.

Casual Shinji:

Sony all stars is a clone of SSB but Beyond can break out the mold of heavy rain and the last of us can break out of uncharted mold as well. I heard the last of us is open world while uncharted was scripted.

But, but, but you can't bash the FPS genre cause its the greatest and there is no flaws in it.-People who don't know what variety is and won't accept any other game.

ForgottenPr0digy:

Casual Shinji:

Sony all stars is a clone of SSB but Beyond can break out the mold of heavy rain and the last of us can break out of uncharted mold as well. I heard the last of us is open world while uncharted was scripted.

If thats true, day one for me. It does look good.

The Jennifer Love Hewit of video games? Does that mean you have two big.... Nevermind.

I've stopped looking at Microsoft's presentation since 2009. I still think Ubisoft was pretty impressive though.

I see neon lights whenever you walk by.

malestrithe:
Dude, did you miss Sony's presentation? It introduced a lot of games that were not First Person Shooters. Wonderbook was different than anything else that was out there. The Last of Us presented a unique form of combat that was not as clean as seen in other AAA titles.

Above: A comment from a person who posted before finishing watching the video.

RaikuFA:
But, but, but you can't bash the FPS genre cause its the greatest and there is no flaws in it.-People who don't know what variety is and won't accept any other game.

Personally, I call that one the sports guy. I know a guy whose entire collection is this year's sports titles. His purchase history from gamestop is every year's sports titles. It's kind of scary.

it seemed at E3 Nintendo was the only one that had games that kids could play. They should show games at E3 for ever age group not just the teens and adults who like FPS.

The Jennifer Love Hewitt of video games? I don't follow her really, heard the name before yes, but it brings nothing to my mind.

Can anyone tell me what that is suppose to mean?

As for the guns guns guns guns guns guns guns guns guns guns guns guns guns guns guns guns guns guns guns guns guns guns guns guns guns guns guns guns guns guns guns guns guns guns guns guns guns guns guns guns guns guns guns guns guns guns guns guns buns guns guns guns guns guns guns.

Yeah I see what ya mean. I love pizza, but I would eventually get sick of it if I could only eat pizza for a year. It would take weeks before it really started to bug me yes, but still. However, like ya said, not "everything" at E3 was a shooter, and there will be more non-shooter games coming out too. But, yeah. If you only had E3 to go on the next year just looks like guns guns guns, and look more ammo!

A disappointing E3 to Inversion? Oh Jim, this is not a good time for you.

As for E3, yeah, it was bad, and there did seem to be a lot of shooters. They seemed a bit similar too. Medal of Honour looks a lot like Battlefield 3 if they turned down the bloom, Call of Duty looks more futuristic and that's about it, and Crysis 3, to be frank, does not look all that different to Crysis 2. They claimed there was big open sprawly levels, but the demo didn't really show that off.

You know it was a bad E3 when Ubisoft can be called a winner with a straight face.

Calumon: They can win whatever they want, as long as they keep scary caffiene man away! D:

Stop blaming publishers and blame the consumers Jim!
They are not gonna waste money on new things if we only buy the same old crap!
But no no no you just keep screaming."THE PUBLISHERS THE PUBLISHERS IT'S ALWAYS THE PUBLISHERS !"
Once the consumers start buying new things the publishers will make new things.

vxicepickxv:

RaikuFA:

Personally, I call that one the sports guy. I know a guy whose entire collection is this year's sports titles. His purchase history from gamestop is every year's sports titles. It's kind of scary.

Very scary. Mines mainly JRPGs, platformers and whatever else I like. And I like a lot.

They had Xcom (TBS) and Dawnguard (RPG) there.
Then again its the only things I watched.

I liked Ubisoft's conference. Rayman Legends, Ass Creed III (not new, but not a shooter) and Watch Dogs, which seemed pretty cool.

For the shooters I don't care much, I like a good shooter occasionally, but no more than 1 or 2 per year.

ForgottenPr0digy:

Casual Shinji:

I saw more or less the same disconnected mo-cap acting in the trailer of Beyond as I did in Heavy Rain. And as for the gameplay, I doubt it'll be any less wooden and awkward. But let's hope for the best.

And if The Last of Us is an open world game then I'm a firetruck. It would be cool if it was, but I don't think graphics of that caliber are possible in a current gen open world game. I'm sure there'll be sections that allow you to take a different approach to the situation, but I reckon the majority of the game will be very similarly structured to Uncharted, i.e. heavily linear and scripted.

I agree that there are tons of first-person shooters but as you said, they will most likely be really fun and these games sell well. It feels there were just more than usual this year I guess.

While we're on this topic, did anyone else get a little less excited at the Watch Dogs demo when the gun fight broke out? I mean, here are these gameplay ideas that could not only allow for a lot of interesting approaches to problem solving that could really require some interesting lateral thinking, but also have the potential to really say something about the ubiquity of technology and privacy concerns (I let out a small gasp when I saw "HIV positive" pop up in the Identification window of some random NPC), and then out of nowhere some guys start shooting you with assault rifles and a gas stations start exploding. To me it kind of felt like they threw a gun fight in there just because that's what games are supposed to do, which kind of says some troubling things about that AAA game development scene. Is that just me?

Jimothy Sterling:

malestrithe:

Actually, the video was still running when I posted this. Not my fault you did not get to Wonderbook before I finished my thought.

malestrithe:

Jimothy Sterling:

malestrithe:

Actually, the video was still running when I posted this. Not my fault you did not get to Wonderbook before I finished my thought.

VUNDERBUKEN!

rolfwesselius:
Stop blaming publishers and blame the consumers Jim!
They are not gonna waste money on new things if we only buy the same old crap!
But no no no you just keep screaming."THE PUBLISHERS THE PUBLISHERS IT'S ALWAYS THE PUBLISHERS !"
Once the consumers start buying new things the publishers will make new things.

There isn't much of a solution in that.

Think about it: we both know there are at least a million people who will buy the next Call of Duty, and the next one, and the one after that. We are not going to stop them. Just because they are a large part of the problem doesn't mean we will find the solution with them.

We also know that there are tons of gamers clamoring for something more. I think Jim is right in thinking that it'd be a hell of a lot easier to get the publishers to cater to other gamers then it will be to keep large masses of people from buying shooters.

Probably Jim's best intro yet.

This highlights my problems with E3 perfectly: not the fact that there were sequels and rip-offs, but the fact that that was all there was. Good job, Jim!

While the overflow of FPS is certainly an issue nowadays..From what i saw of E3 it honestly didn't bother me....the fact that the last 2 years of E3 showed us that god awful XCOM fps only to have an actually strategy XCOM NOW gives me hope that FPS genre are loosing their stranglehold on the industry.

I mean shit...that new Beyond thing is suppose to be a game that explores the afterlife or something (and from what i saw had a little Akira vibe but that was just me) and Ubisoft showed off another new IP with Watchdogs, and while it is technically an FPS I'd argue that Dishonored separates it self A TON from the recent modern shooters with the steam-punk and magic deus-exian play style...and you get to mind control a fucking FISH and RAT in that game =p

Maybe i just ignored this years crop of FPS more then Jim...

Although I thoroughly agree with the overall statement I'm disappointed by how racing games are yet again shunned by gaming press. Forza and NFS definitely took a back seat to shooters and sports games like anything else this year, but these series are huge sellers, yet everyone keeps on talking about how there is nothing but killing. Not true.

But that's not what I really want to focus on with this topic. I want to mention that what disturbs me is not necessarily the fact that everything at E3 was non-stop shooters (although that's certainly depressing), it's that so many of these games are following a disturbing trend in how they depict violence. I think it's just another symptom of the industry following CoD, but I wouldn't want to commit to that. Nevertheless more and more games are showing violence in a far more grisly and brutal fashion, and presenting it in a way as if it's something we should be impressed by. Like if you look at the violence shown in The Last Of Us it shows it in a horrible animalistic way. I guess that's the point of that game, but it's far from an isolated example. Tomb Raider showed a lot of this too and now pretty much every FPS with a knife attack seems to be trying as hard as it can to make the violence glorifying the grotesque aspect of killing. They use scenes of this as a reward for killing. It makes me worried that game companies believe that is what we want, and even more worried at the possibility that it actually is.

I remember seeing an old Jimquisition episode in which he showed actual footage of someone committing suicide as a way to shock people, and to show that games don't desensitise you to real violence, because real violence is frightening and unceremonious. His point was that even if you have played hundreds of hours of violent games real violence and real death still disturbs and disgusts you. But I see games turning closer to this representation of violence, a focus on the actual act of causing death and seeing pain. It's a pretty horrifying trend.

I don't think it's really appropriate to link the video here, but if you're morbidly curious you can find it on Youtube. The episode is called "Gamers don't want realistic violence".

E3 is for the shareholders, not the customers. So it's not really surprising it's basically saying "here's next year's line-up of sure bets!"

Casual Shinji:

Yeah.. I was just not hyped for The Last of Us at ALL. I saw the gameplay and went "Uncharted". I still have some hope for Beyond and Smash Bros. Ps3, as I never played Heavy Rain and Super Smash Bros. (though I wanted to), so these still interest me (though I think Beyond's premise is far, far less interesting. I love me some serial killer action).

Random Argument Man:
The Jennifer Love Hewit of video games? Does that mean you have two big.... Nevermind.

I've stopped looking at Microsoft's presentation since 2009. I still think Ubisoft was pretty impressive though.

Ubisoft's was probably the best.. And also... Nice avatar ;D

Pages 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or