Jimquisition: GUNS GUNS GUNS GUNS GUNS GUNS GUNS

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

At least I liked Nintendo's conference...

rolfwesselius:
Stop blaming publishers and blame the consumers Jim!
They are not gonna waste money on new things if we only buy the same old crap!
But no no no you just keep screaming."THE PUBLISHERS THE PUBLISHERS IT'S ALWAYS THE PUBLISHERS !"
Once the consumers start buying new things the publishers will make new things.

Heres a question if industry A is only marketing, producing and releasing product A(FPS) and thats the only thing people know about isn't it all too likely that the reason why Prodcuct A is selling in the millions is because that the only thing the consumer knows about. Honsetly i'm pretty sure in the next few years shooters will go out of style the same way say space games did. This will also most likely happen in are lift times even though it would be interseting to see what steps up to take it place. Then again in about 3-4 years after it become popular it eventually go down the same way FPSs did.

Heh, if it's that bad, I'll go back to playing Angband.

Adam Jensen:
There is only one mindless shooter worth playing. Borderlands 2. It has the most guns, it is colorful, it has a good art design, a lot of enemy variety and every type of gun you can imagine. Why would anyone want to play any other mindless shooter when they are all in a way integrated into Borderlands 2?

How the eff can be Borderlands "mindless"? Don't the series have RPG components?

ElPatron:

Adam Jensen:
There is only one mindless shooter worth playing. Borderlands 2. It has the most guns, it is colorful, it has a good art design, a lot of enemy variety and every type of gun you can imagine. Why would anyone want to play any other mindless shooter when they are all in a way integrated into Borderlands 2?

How the eff can be Borderlands "mindless"? Don't the series have RPG components?

Yeah, but it's still just mindless fun. No real plot. The only goal is to get better guns to kill stronger enemies.

Jim is probably the best part of this site now! Very funny and informative.

*Hugs Jim* .. Thank you.

OT: By god, he's right. Look at all those FPS shooters- heck Dead Space 3 looked more like a shooter then the previous two games which tried to least be scary, and stay with the tensity the story provides. I'm a huge Dead Space fan so when seeing how much it reminded me of Gears of War, I was pretty upset (though I can't judge yet.. trailers are trailers so I just have to wait until the actual game comes out and reviews on it).

But yes, Jim isn't lying .. I watched E3 and became uncomfortable with the tons of shooters that came up. Apart from say, 2 games that looked really nice- all of them were shooters. Nothing got me hyped or ... wait- well Skyrim's DLC got me hyped. Yes, DLC .. for a game I love, was the only thing that got me hyped. I repeat friends, a DLC got me more hyped, then anything else E3 had to offer. That's pretty sad, but that's subjective on how others would feel about E3. Ether way, I agree fully Jim.. plus on every darn youtube video relating to a game- people debate about COD. The community there is obsessed with FPS games aghh lol.

rolfwesselius:

But we turned fps's into safe bet's because we buy them so much.
We need to do the same to other genre's

I don't think they're the safe bet they used to be. Didn't Singularity fail, for example? Not every FPS does well. When it's of low quality, consumers do notice.

My thoughts? They should have had more RPGs on show. I could only find about three (Persona 4[re-release I'm betting], Kingdom Hearts 3D, Elder Scrolls Online.) And since I have little reason to go back to MMOs, I only have about two games from E3 to look forward to and one's coming out in a month.

I won't be fussed if anyone here likes all the shooters, that's a debate that's either dead or pointless; what I am fussed about is that those that prefer the experience of RPGs are being ignored so much. I haven't bought a shooter in years, and am dedicated to every Colorful character I can find; and love the feel of being able to defeat an opponent with a few key button strokes. Why do they have to keep mocking my absolute loathing of having to point something exactly on target? Why can't I have my blades?

Still, there's always Devil May Cry, even though I'm a bit annoyed at how juvenile some of Dante's speech has gotten compared to that one game of his I played where he was a bit more showy. (Devil May Cry 4, for the record; in-case you want to make fun of me. And yes, I know that game was more Nero than Dante, so what?)

Casual Shinji:
It says a lot when Sony stuck out the most this year with a Smash Bros. Brawl game, a new Heavy Rain, and a new Uncharted. *sigh*

Sony didn't stick out the most, though. Nintendo did. I don't really know why Sony was chosen to get praise at the end of that episode when Nintendo was doing things even more different than Sony did.

Haha, what did you guys expect?

Adam Jensen:

ElPatron:

Adam Jensen:

Yeah, but it's still just mindless fun. No real plot. The only goal is to get better guns to kill stronger enemies.

And distribute skill points into the right abilities, and pick the right guns for the right situation, and pick the right class mods. It's not just mindless fun, but it's as close as you can get with a triple A game in my opinion.

And just because a game doesn't have a 'real' story, doesn't mean it's for dummies.

Was anyone expecting a massive turn from either Microsoft or EA? Kinect, shooters, and sports are about all they have to showcase, while the XBLA does it's thing the next room over, and few like to make that association. It's usually left the the studios to get people psyched for anything else.

CardinalPiggles:
And just because a game doesn't have a 'real' story, doesn't mean it's for dummies.

I didn't say it's for dummies. In fact, it's a mindless game for hardcore gamers. Quake is pretty mindless as well. It doesn't make it a game for dummies.
Leveling system is there to give you the option to customize your character to your play style a bit more and to give you something to work towards to. There are no wrong choices. You upgrade what you think is best and what you think will offer you most fun.

Planetside 2. That is all.

My only problem with the shooters that were at this years E3 was than none of them were Bioshock Infinite and how in the f*** does Sony/MS not advertise Metro Last Light???? The most underrated shooter this side of Killzone gets no love...but there's plenty of coverage for DLC to a shooter that launched last year...?

Random Argument Man:
The Jennifer Love Hewit of video games? Does that mean you have two big.... Nevermind.

I've stopped looking at Microsoft's presentation since 2009. I still think Ubisoft was pretty impressive though.

Shame that all of their idiotic DRM means I'll never buy another game from Ubisoft. I know it is a little thing, but it is something I can do.

im blaming jim if ride the flamingo becomes the latest internet meme

malestrithe:

Actually, the video was still running when I posted this. Not my fault you did not get to Wonderbook before I finished my thought.

That is why it pays to watch a video then comment in the thread.

I'm surprised by how many people do what you did. It doesn't really make sense to me.

At least you didn't say something like, "The video was too long, so I didn't bother watching all of it", which I find an alarming amount of people similarly comment, but about articles, when people point out to such commentators that certain things were in an article and they would've seen it if they had read said article.

--------------------------------

On the video:

I'm actually really glad that this year looks like it will turn out average and/or lower in the amount of awesome games. The only thing I'm remotely thinking of getting out of what I saw, is Halo 4. So this gives me time to work on my backlog of games, and save money for other things or future gaming purchases.

Now, back to Skyrim and to actually doing something constructive in the game, and not horsing around.

I hope Dead Space 3 doesnt lose what made the others unique...

Falseprophet:
E3 is for the shareholders, not the customers. So it's not really surprising it's basically saying "here's next year's line-up of sure bets!"

Very interesting point I never thought of this I don't think many people consider this. It explains a lot and makes sense.

To be honest I didn't even notice that there were a ton of shooters at e3 this year because the only e3 coverage i have been paying attention to is what the yogsccast have uploaded and so far they have covered 3 FPS games, 2 MMORPG's, their own weird Yogventures game, Dishonored which is a first person game but its more in the style of Dark Messiah of Might and Magic then Call of Duty/Battlefield, the new XCOM game, Magic The Gathering and Lego Lord of the Rings...

I'll be quite honest here... I didn't keep up with any E3 news this year. At all. I mean, I already knew what games I would be buying (Halo 4 and Blops 2, because I'm a Halo fanboy and because I enjoy Treyarch CoDs respectively), and what games I thought would look nice (The Last of Us, which is up there with Metal Gear Solid 4 and Uncharted for 'games that make me want to get a PS3'). Everything else seemed to look like some kind of shooter that I didn't enjoy before and I probably wouldn't enjoy now, or were part of Nintendo's stuff and, quite honestly, I hate the Wii U's design and I don't think any game they release can convince me that tablet's worth the money.

If we're just going to go for FPSs nowadays, I hope The Last of Us does happen to have some kind of fairly good story and at least sparks a trend of FPSs with semi-good stories. I mean, if we're going to saturate the market with FPSs, we could at least make them really good FPSs.

malestrithe:

Jimothy Sterling:

malestrithe:
Dude, did you miss Sony's presentation? It introduced a lot of games that were not First Person Shooters. Wonderbook was different than anything else that was out there. The Last of Us presented a unique form of combat that was not as clean as seen in other AAA titles.

Above: A comment from a person who posted before finishing watching the video.

Actually, the video was still running when I posted this. Not my fault you did not get to Wonderbook before I finished my thought.

Your logic is astounding. You commented on what a video lacked and says it's not your fault for not watching all of it when someone points out that the video didn't lack it? Did you have any reason for posting before you watched it to the end? If not it's your fault. If you want to make excuses at least do a little effort on them.

targren:
Dude, what the hell was with that drawn out motivational tape crap? You're not turning into Game OverThinker, are you?!

Mark B:
Jim is right on the money again, my main problem with this series is the point is normally half way through the show in this case nearly 2 minutes in a 7 minute video.

I'm finding it hard to get pass the asshole to the point he is trying to make.

@Targen: I think Mr Sterling has been on that road for quite some time. Ever since the moderators started doling out sanctions to those who dare criticise their contributors. I understand that a lot of it was abusive in places - most of it went along the lines of "get rid of the attitude" from what I can remember.

By doing this, they accidently created a wave of Yes Men and now Mr Sterling cannot tell that the whole ego thing is wearing quite thin. (At least for me anyway.) It's all a massive shame really, to echo what Mark B had said while Jim might be right on the money and have a lot of interesting points to make - but his argument is being lost in his schtick.

Please get to the point, Mr Sterling!

ThunderCavalier:

If we're just going to go for FPSs nowadays, I hope The Last of Us does happen to have some kind of fairly good story and at least sparks a trend of FPSs with semi-good stories. I mean, if we're going to saturate the market with FPSs, we could at least make them really good FPSs.

last of us?

a FPS?

.....whaaaaaaat???

*deleted*

Now I'm just sad... time to reinstall Painkiller!

Draech:

Chairman Miaow:

Draech:

it had banners, the works. Every web comic ever did a piece. It was the game everyone knew no1 bought. I dont think it had TV spots, but neither had Haze. And it made its money back.

I guess that just goes to prove you can't use a single game as evidence of any kind of correlation then doesn't it?

Well true. A small pool of testing isn't good evidence. It doesn't however mean you can deny it.

Fine, but then I could give examples of massive successes that weren't FPS and use them as "evidence".

Chairman Miaow:

Draech:

Chairman Miaow:
I guess that just goes to prove you can't use a single game as evidence of any kind of correlation then doesn't it?

Well true. A small pool of testing isn't good evidence. It doesn't however mean you can deny it.

Fine, but then I could give examples of massive successes that weren't FPS and use them as "evidence".

And that is why I am not arguing that other genres cannot be massive successes. I am arguing that FPS games are a safebet compared to other genres.

Enslaved was picked because it was very good, but flopped. Something very few FPS does, especially the good ones.

E3 was on? I was too busy playing Guild Wars 2 Beta to notice.

Draech:
snip.

I typed out a big post but my internet crashed and it was deleted. Here is the summary:

I misunderstood your stance a little.
I agree with you then.
Still interested in what would happen if marketing focus was on another genre.
FPS's appeal to a broader audience, consumers aren't at fault for buying games they like.
Publisher's need to appeal to their shareholders and make money, not at fault for not taking pointless risks.

portal_cat:
it seemed at E3 Nintendo was the only one that had games that kids could play. They should show games at E3 for ever age group not just the teens and adults who like FPS.

E3 is an industry only event, and minors under the age of 18 are not allowed.

ElPatron:

If Borderlands wasn't partially mindless, it wouldn't be Borderlands. I for one want a mindless shooter where I can grind to my hearts content, as long as killing is fun, and the variety in it looks like it'll do just that. The jokes you get in the "quests" are just the icing on the cake :D

But that's where the rest of the shooters go wrong, I think most have had their fill of brown and gray realistic shooters, which it seems Halo has become as well. They don't look like as much fun, at least not for me.

Everybody is saying how much they love shooters but this is just all too much... Spare a thought for those of us who don't even particularly like shooters to start with!

It's OK, HumbleBundle V came at just the right time.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here