Zero Punctuation: Dragon's Dogma

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

The conclusion I was pimping came swiftly when me and a mate started accidently exclaiming 'Oh look somebody's "used" Jeffory!' or 'I should get some better looking clothes for Huans so that he will "stand out" among the others' always followed by a short uncomfortable silence where jokes were being hurriedly concocted.

It's funny really: My pawn is a short haired red headed girl who's on the short and chubby side and a mage. She wears a robe and a hood (her name is Araiyis, moniker Ari), and she's hundred 100k's of rift crystals at a time. Her appearance is marked as lacking, but she's been noted to be awesome in combat. I'm really proud of her (well, as proud as you can be for a digital character) and I don't need to dress her like a street walker.

Still a great review by Yahtzee.

kyogen:

Well, he's not really wrong. Comparing it to pimping is the joke form of what the pawn system is: a master/slave relationship a la G.W.F. Hegel with a good dose of Friedrich Nietzsche's take on morality and will.

Dragon's Dogma is a very smart smart game. It's fun to play and has excellent combat, creature animations, and AI pathing. It also draws its fantasy narrative not from Tolkien, but from French symbolism and German philosophy. It's anything but generic, though it's flexible enough to allow its players to be as generic as they like. You don't have to know or care about its source material to have a great time with it, but it's got a lot of layers if you want to start peeling.

I think besides European philosophy, Dragon's Dogma's ending is strongly influenced by Buddhism as well. The all "Godsbane ends the loop to go to higher place" business is the basic concept of "Nirvana." The final dungeon "Everfall" is referenced the Avici hell.

Btw, has anyone noticed that you can kill children in Dragoon's Dogma? Nye. Not a big deal.

This game looks very good. It seems to have a very "classic" fantasy feel to it, which I really like.

...J-rock?

LOL you don't say, informative NPC?

A P.C version would be nice. I wonder if Yahtzee named his character Defaultman like on Unskippable.

"I was just on the tower....and so were you!"
I loled.

An excellent review. The sniffing of the diamond was capital. Simply capital.

Hey! I'd just like to point out that in terms of the love interest of the main character you could romance any of the NPCs as long as they had a name! ...INCLUDING CHILDREN (citation needed) At least that's what some people on the wiki are claiming.

Just thought that this was like an actual error on the part of Yahtzee. :P

Otherwise great review, I found it to be pretty funny.

Of course you're pimping, Yahtzee. And you have been since long before this game came out I should add.

The most important question wasn't asked or answered

Q: Is it vulnerable to fire and/or does fire hurt it?

A: Yes.

Who else sees the typo!

It has been a very long time since Yahtzee made me laugh as hard as he did this week!

There's a reason he spent so long talking about the Pawn system, as opposed to combat, and that's mostly because the Pawn system is the most interesting thing about the game. Over all, its a pretty good game. I've been recommending to to people bored with Skyrim. But the Pawn system is by far its most unique feature.

Who is that guy that Yahtzee keeps using the face of?

PureIrony:
I'm surprised he didn't complain about the lack of fast travel. From what I've heard, this game is a pain in the ass to play sans-combat.

And, given that he didn't exactly endorse the combat, I see little reason to pick this up.

He did reference it in the whole trudging 15 miles out.

*shudder* the implications of the pimping metaphor are shocking

Don't care about your pawn, but if I see an overweight black chick I'd be more likely to check out her assets.

Danzavare:
An absolutely hilarious video~! Easily one of my favourite Zero Punctuation videos~!

After this review I'm even more tempted to buy the pimping simulator Dragon's Dogma. I plan to play a mage if I do so hopefully there will be less grabbing and being suplexed for me.

personally I find it to be a satisfying and fun challenge mastering the bigger monsters, especially when you learn some moves can be turned against them. Like the monster yathzee mentions that jumps on itīs back, with a well timed jump command you can make the monster land flat on itīs back, turning a high damage move into several second of free monster whacking.

This was one of the best ZP's yet. I was laughing so hard.

ChaosMine:

kyogen:

Well, he's not really wrong. Comparing it to pimping is the joke form of what the pawn system is: a master/slave relationship a la G.W.F. Hegel with a good dose of Friedrich Nietzsche's take on morality and will.

Dragon's Dogma is a very smart smart game. It's fun to play and has excellent combat, creature animations, and AI pathing. It also draws its fantasy narrative not from Tolkien, but from French symbolism and German philosophy. It's anything but generic, though it's flexible enough to allow its players to be as generic as they like. You don't have to know or care about its source material to have a great time with it, but it's got a lot of layers if you want to start peeling.

I think besides European philosophy, Dragon's Dogma's ending is strongly influenced by Buddhism as well. The all "Godsbane ends the loop to go to higher place" business is the basic concept of "Nirvana." The final dungeon "Everfall" is referenced the Avici hell.

Btw, has anyone noticed that you can kill children in Dragoon's Dogma? Nye. Not a big deal.

Absolutely. Secular philosophy in Japan tends to favor certain European (especially German) philosophers largely because of the affinities that exist between them and scholarly work done within Japanese Buddhism: Nietzsche (death of God = Godsbane; eternal recurrence), Schopenhauer, etc. The art style of the game, the French symbolist quote at the beginning, and the in-game articulation of concepts suggest that what the developers drew on for the trappings of their "Western" fantasy world wasn't Tolkien or the Brothers Grimm.

None of the Dragon's Dogma children are quite as annoying as the ones who run around in Whiterun, so I actually hadn't tried. I like that cattle can fight back if you pick on them, though.

Finally a game that's completely mental, and with broken bits, but introducing interesting new ideas. Perfect for Yahztee's wit.

remmus:

Danzavare:
An absolutely hilarious video~! Easily one of my favourite Zero Punctuation videos~!

After this review I'm even more tempted to buy the pimping simulator Dragon's Dogma. I plan to play a mage if I do so hopefully there will be less grabbing and being suplexed for me.

personally I find it to be a satisfying and fun challenge mastering the bigger monsters, especially when you learn some moves can be turned against them. Like the monster yathzee mentions that jumps on itīs back, with a well timed jump command you can make the monster land flat on itīs back, turning a high damage move into several second of free monster whacking.

I can definitely see the fun in that but I just can't find it in me to say no to a class that can shoot fire at things (It's my weakness). Maybe I'll try a spellsword if they have anything of the like in the game.

Oh, and fancy avatar~!

I've never heard of this game before but it did strike a note with me. Mainly i think due to the pimping gameplay lol

Danzavare:

remmus:

Danzavare:

I can definitely see the fun in that but I just can't find it in me to say no to a class that can shoot fire at things (It's my weakness). Maybe I'll try a spellsword if they have anything of the like in the game.

Oh, and fancy avatar~!

there is basicly, itīs called a Mystic Knight, tho it playes more like a self/group buffing warrior (think typical cleric classes), if you want more agile mage warrior the closes is the arcane archer, who as it says on the tin, uses a bow shaped item to shoot magic like it was arrows.

*tips hat* thanks, it was a commission of my 'fursona' tho a bit outdated, have to remember to change to my current

It's hard out here for a pimp.
Trying to make money for the rent.

My first pawn was a tall, burly man with dark skin and really long white hair (vocation was warrior) and boy-howdy, people ate him up. By the time I got to end-game (not quite new game+) I had a little over 300,000 rift crystals. 0.0

Now in new game+, I changed him into a dark elf chick (used my stockpile of crystals to buy all the skin and eye/makeup pigments and a "redesign-your-character-and-pawn-anytime-you-fancy" item... but no eyeglasses yet)... new incarnation hasn't been quite as successful. Not sure if it's her level (somewhere around 80 or 90, I forget exactly) or what. I mean, I've seen enough female pawns sporting silk lingerie to know scantly clad ladies are easier to "pimp". :P

Haven't played the game yet, but thumbs up to any game that lets you create an overweight minority woman character. Seriously, if your game includes a character creator it should include all possible gender, race and body types as options.

Really sick of games that tell you to make a character but limit you to men, or white people, or skinny people or whatever. I'm looking at you Crackdown, Two Worlds, Risen, etc. What is even the point of having a character generator if you are going to arbitrarily limit the players options anyway?

well i don't know if this was the point but now i want to play it

"A generic riff someone made by holding an electric guitar next to a sewing machine"

Oh what like the one I have to hear at the start of EVERY FUCKING ZERO PUNCTUATION VIDEO

Tony2077:

You won't be disappoint

http://videogamesawesome.com/category/dragons-dogma/

CD-R:

Tony2077:

You won't be disappoint

the music sounds good but i still don't understand what they say. such jokers thanks for the link

Tony2077:

CD-R:

Tony2077:

You won't be disappoint

the music sounds good but i still don't understand what they say. such jokers thanks for the link

Yeah they have those thick Canadian accents but the video gets really hilarious when they make their own character.

Hahaha, good episode.

CD-R:

Tony2077:

CD-R:

You won't be disappoint

Yeah they have those thick Canadian accents but the video gets really hilarious when they make their own character.

it is but i have to ask I'm Canadian do we even have an accent of our own?

Zydrate:
Holy shit, a Neopets reference? I was all over that shit when I was young.

http://www.neopets.com/ It's still going funnily enough...but it looks...urm, well...

Just look o.O

OT: Curious...i may pick this game up at some point, as i like open world games, and been able to kill Cyclops's, Griffins and Chimera's sounds pretty interesting, at least it isn't just Dragons.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here