No Right Answer: Best Non-Medical Doctor Ever

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Best Non-Medical Doctor Ever

We did an episode for best doctor and people got up in a tizzy that we didn't include The Doctor from Dr. Who. We explained that he was a non-medical doctor, and that we would return to him at a later date. THIS IS THAT LATER DATE!

Watch Video

Need Dr.Who opponent? Why not Zoidberg?

I say Dr.Fate, he's boss. He has a helm possessed by Nabu and can bend time and space to his whim. WITHOUT a TARDIS.

The Doctor without his tools is John Pertwee.

Doctor Who is the Best Hero
Doctor Zoiberg is the best clutz

Yeah... the Doctor's tools aren't integral to him being the Doctor. In fact, he often losses/breaks/can't use his tools, and is still awesome enough to save the day.

Also, Chris needs to watch The Doctor's Wife (written by Neil Gaiman); the TARDIS is not a mere "tool".

Someone needs to sit that man down in front of the episode The Eleventh Hour. The Doctor can't use his Tardis, his sonic screwdriver is entirely ineffective, and then EXPLODES, and using nothing but his intelligence and cunning, saves the ENTIRE planet from being SET ON FIRE. And that's just a modern example. There are incarnations of the Doctor who BARELY EVER USED their screwdriver (the Fifth one lost it early and never really used it again)! And while eating gerbils might sound fun, how does GOING BACK TO THE 1700S AND INVENTING THE BANANA DAIQUIRI SOUND FOR FUN? Hmm?

Oh, and Zoidberg rarely saves anyone. If he does, it's a special episode featuring him. Otherwise, he's just sewing on limbs wrong and thinking that robots are humans.

... man, I gotta get on this show. I would DESTROY Chris.

Qitz:

I say Dr.Fate, he's boss. He has a helm possessed by Nabu and can bend time and space to his whim. WITHOUT a TARDIS.

I see uout Doctor Fate and raise you a Doctor Strange, similar powersets (mystical if I go broad enough), but with a better personality.

Anyway, good choice guys. Gotta admit though, when I saw the title screen for the match-up, I thought it was going to be a "troll" episode.

I'd like to see Dr. Who vs Dr. Daniel Jackson (Stargate SG1).

Chris was wrong on many areas.
1) Zoidberg IS a medical doctor of alien physiology (bad luck if your a human).
2) Doctor WHO #2 had a male companion ie: the brigadier.
3) Doctor WHO #5 didn't use the sonic screwdriver (he was a hands-free Doctor)
AND
4) Ziodberg can't be your chum... Because he EATS CHUM!

ShadowHand25:

Before "The Three Doctors" :)
"The Doctor needs a prop" Chris pls:

ShadowHand25:

Nah, that'd be Peter Davison. I remember that he liked to not use a sonic screwdriver. Granted, I haven't watched Pertwee's seasons, but I think Davison only used the sonic once or twice.

KoDOmega:
There are incarnations of the Doctor who BARELY EVER USED their screwdriver (the Fifth one lost it early and never really used it again)!

And didn't make another appearance until the TV movie (so Six never used it and Seven only used it for about five seconds before getting shot). John Nathan-Turner did not like that thing, so it didn't show up while he was the showrunner.

misterprickly:
AND

The second Doctor also had Jaime (I mean... I can understand that you were confused by his kilt, but still...) :P

What about Dr. Daniel Jackson, ascended being and occasional time traveler?

Double post fail :-(

MANIFESTER:

Qitz:

I see uout Doctor Fate and raise you a Doctor Strange, similar powersets (mystical if I go broad enough), but with a better personality.

Anyway, good choice guys. Gotta admit though, when I saw the title screen for the match-up, I thought it was going to be a "troll" episode.

Doctor Strange IS a Medical Doctor though. Unlike DC the names in Marvel make a degree of sense. Doctor Strange got his magic while searching for a way to repair his hands without which he couldn't operate, searching the world for a solution, until he met The Ancient One. I've never understood where "Doctor Fate" gets his Doctor from given that he's basically a helmet used by differant people. Sort of like "Captain Marvel" or "Captain Boomerang", where while there might be an answer I keep wondering where they get "Captain" from. In Marvel most of the guys I know using it have the actual rank (or did). Captain American is a Captain in the US Army, Captain Mar Vell was a Captain in the Kree space force, Captain Kracken (RIP in the Bar With No Name) at least commanded a ship.

Come to think of it, my rambling paragraph above means that DC is virtually a gold mine of nonsense for things like "A soldier who is not a soldier" or "a captain who is not a captain" or a "doctor who does not practice medicine". Of course a doctor can be someone who just has a doctorate, but to be honest I doubt the helmet that is Doctor Fate has ever attended school and having a doctorate hardly seems to be a requirement to wear the helmet, yet it still keeps calling itself and it's host "Doctor". :)

Therumancer:

MANIFESTER:

Qitz:

Doctor Strange IS a Medical Doctor though. Unlike DC the names in Marvel make a degree of sense. Doctor Strange got his magic while searching for a way to repair his hands without which he couldn't operate, searching the world for a solution, until he met The Ancient One. I've never understood where "Doctor Fate" gets his Doctor from given that he's basically a helmet used by differant people. Sort of like "Captain Marvel" or "Captain Boomerang", where while there might be an answer I keep wondering where they get "Captain" from. In Marvel most of the guys I know using it have the actual rank (or did). Captain American is a Captain in the US Army, Captain Mar Vell was a Captain in the Kree space force, Captain Kracken (RIP in the Bar With No Name) at least commanded a ship.

Come to think of it, my rambling paragraph above means that DC is virtually a gold mine of nonsense for things like "A soldier who is not a soldier" or "a captain who is not a captain" or a "doctor who does not practice medicine". Of course a doctor can be someone who just has a doctorate, but to be honest I doubt the helmet that is Doctor Fate has ever attended school and having a doctorate hardly seems to be a requirement to wear the helmet, yet it still keeps calling itself and it's host "Doctor". :)

The silly naming convention isn't a DC exclusive. Marvel has The Captain, or Captain ***** if you feel like using his other name. He's just some guy with some alien powers, never been in the military.

DC at least used to have Dr. Midnite, who was actually an MD, which means there could be a new question for debate posed here. Best Medical comic doctor, Dr. Strange, vs Dr. Midnite.

Keep it up guys, I need the occasional laugh!

Oh, and the picture at 1:12 was hilarious for some unknown reason xD

Animatrix vs Batman: Gotham Knight

I dunno specifically what to call the debate, but that.

While The Doctor does rely on his is sonic screwdriver a lot he also does plenty of things without it. I would wager if you asked anybody what they like/enjoy about The Doctor none of them have "sonic screwdriver" on the list. Also as other people have mentioned depending on the incarnation of The Doctor his use of the sonic screwdriver changes quite a bit. In other words The Doctor without his screwdriver is still The Doctor.

OT: I enjoyed the episode as always. I would like to see some more comic related debates, but pretty much every episode you do is gold so it doesn't really matter that much to me.

And what about Gordon Freeman ?
He's a non-medical doctor

misterprickly:

To be honest I'm not sure the Brigadier counts as a companion because, if my memory serves me right, he never actually travelled in the TARDIS.

However, you're quite right, the Doctor has taken plenty of male companions along for the ride. In fact the very first episode of Who, back in 1963, actually featured a male companion, Ian Chesterton. There's also been Jamie McCrimmon, Harry Sulivan, Adric, Vislor Turlough, Mikey and Rory to name but a few.

It wasn't just the fifth Doctor who didn't use the sonic screwdriver, most of his incarnations used it very rarely, if at all. Even when it was used it was more of a multi-purpose tool than an actual deus ex machina, which is what David Tennant's tenth Doctor seems to have made it into.

I think it's clear that Chris has very little knowledge of Doctor Who as a TV show, but I shall not hold that against him because it's a damn long running and convoluted show!

vxicepickxv:

Therumancer:

MANIFESTER:

The silly naming convention isn't a DC exclusive. Marvel has The Captain, or Captain ***** if you feel like using his other name. He's just some guy with some alien powers, never been in the military.

DC at least used to have Dr. Midnite, who was actually an MD, which means there could be a new question for debate posed here. Best Medical comic doctor, Dr. Strange, vs Dr. Midnite.

If you mean Captain Ultra, he's a joke character as opposed to one intended to be taken seriously (or was). He was kind of a send-up of DC, and I believe parodied The Martian Manhunter given that his limitation was also fire... he could do almost anything, but would faint dead away if he so much as saw a match flame.

I was mostly thinking in terms of what are presented as serious characters who hold down their own titles or serious team books. Marvel also has Squirrel Girl, and she's awesome, but mainly as a satire and a bit of comic relief, as opposed to say "Captain Marvel" who is a big part of the mythos, or Captain Boomerang who is a recurring bad guy.

Also I could be wrong, but I vaguely remember that Captain Ultra was a captain in the fire department who was traumatized.

For a graphical comparison, check out
http://mimi-na.deviantart.com/art/Doctor-s-Girls-46247500
vs.
http://mimi-na.deviantart.com/art/Doctor-s-Boys-58481472

And when someone makes a video for Dr. Zoidberg like this one (http://youtu.be/d941hp6VKgw), THEN we can talk about which one is better.

misterprickly:
AND

Epic Fail on #2, buddy. Have you forgotten Jaime McCrimmon? The Scottish Highlander that the Doctor saved from/at the Battle of Culloden? And what about Ben Jackson? He came in with the first Doctor, and was with the second (although not for long, I'll admit). The only Doctor without a male companion was Jon Pertwee, Doctor #3. He had Liz Shaw, Jo Grant, and Sarah Jane Smith. Although he worked with U.N.I.T, none of them were really his "Companions" per se.

I loved this debate. It was underdog vs hero. Although, in debate terms, I think this was one of those "Shit." moments for Chris and he bounced back pretty well by using a lovable and memorable character.

I'd like to see...

BEST MUSICAL IN A TV SHOW

such as the "Once more, With Feeling" episode of Buffy.

I think the Zoidberg-as-medical-doctor argument can go either way. He works as a medical professional and is apparently a good xenobiologist, but he doesn't have an M.D. and absolutely does not understand human physiology even though that's most of what he works on.

That being said, I get the feeling (especially from the intro) that this episode was designed at least in part to placate the Dr. Who fans. Which is fine with me. If you're so insecure in your taste that you require every piece of media that ever mentions Dr. Who to reassure you that it's the greatest thing ever and that you aren't wrong, that's fine.

The Futurama fans who don't seem particularly upset about this one know the truth: Zoidberg is the best non-medical doctor because Zoidberg is simply the best. Full stop.

Congrats in the 1 year mark guys!

Keep up the good work, your show is one of the highlights of my week.

Zoidberg is best doctor.

Don't worry Chris. In the end, you still have Zoidberg.

YOU ALL STILL HAVE ZOIDBERG!

Why not Zoidberg?

DR HENRY JONES JR! How in the HELL can you say best non medical doctor ever and not even have him as an option?!

DVS BSTrD:
Doctor Who is the Best Hero
Doctor Zoiberg is the best clutz

Good luck unseeing THAT!

1 year mark? Already?

High five!

What is that shirt Chris is wearing? It looks like Pacman meets Dead Space...

Adn why do I have a sneaking suspicion we will actually see an episode in which we will decide which of the 11 Doctors is the best? (Hopefully, with an honorable mention for Rowan Atkinson...bonus points if you know why.)

Dr. Spence Reid

Other

Dr. Sheldon Cooper
Dr. Suess
Dr. Fraiser Crane
Dr. Dana Scully
Dr. Eggman

Best lawyer ever
Best police officer ever

Pages 1 2 3 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below: