Miracle of Sound: Life In Bullet Time (Max Payne 3)

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Life In Bullet Time (Max Payne 3)

I keep watching the world go by in bullet time.

Watch Video

Was a little wary at the beginning but once again you've raised the bar!

00:45 - Bruce Willis?

DVS BSTrD:
Was a little wary at the beginning

I agree with this sentiment. I wasn't a fan of the visuals or the song at first, but it got better.

Love it, the raw beginning, the ending and everything inbetween is awesome :D. Can't wait for it to come up on itunes

As someone who has never touched a Max Payne game before, I don't think I can offer much, but, from what I can tell, that was a pretty good effort.
I really liked the piano sections with 'sometimes a man with nothing good left to die for' really great, as it felt really close to what I have always thought the Max Payne games were about: a grizzled Noire detective giving an overly dramatic yet undeniably awesome narration in a deeply stylized setting. The rest of the song felt like quite a different tone to that, but I imagine that might have been your goal, as Max Payne 3 seems to be a big leap for the series in a new direction (setting wise), but I never felt like it was out of touch with one another, and I thought it was a good merging of the two. The buildup near the end was also really well done.

Really liked the piano bits and the parts where your voice was the deepest.
And like most of your songs, this one as well made me want to play the game you sang about. So, quite the good job, IŽd say.

I haven't played Max Payne 3, so I can't really judge if the song fits the game's mood. However, I do remember the previous instalments, and you most definitely retained some of the noire atmosphere, especially in the lyrics and the plaintive piano keystrokes.
Judging the song on its own merits as a piece of music, it's awesome. Dark, gritty and raw - instant Top 10 material right there. :D
(Btw, should I take this song as a recommendation to play the game?)

That one is awesome. On its own AND in relation to the game. Bandcamp? ^^

Got a very strong sweet L.A. vibe from the song. the song has a really great Style to it the lyrics and the way they are delivered really sound epic. Personally I think this is now your best song the sooner this gets on to itunes the better

You captured the style of HEALTH quite well in the intro.

I can't wait until I get to play Max Payne 3, love the first two and the third looks really impressive. This song only made me more excited for it, from the "man with nothing to lose" reference to the way that so many sounds come together so well, the piano especially was fantastic.

Also, I saw your comments about homophobia on twitter Gav, and wanted to say thank you. It's great to see someone be so direct with both those who don't understand and those who are simply ignorant. To be so blunt as to say "don't buy my music if you're homophobic" is incredible and I really respect you for it.

Max Payne 3 failed to impress me. This song, however, does. The piano, catchiness and general awesome.

Ditto what the other person said. A guitar solo would be epic.

Chichik Boom ? :D

Damn, for a moment, i thought i was listening to some old Paradise Lost/Faith No More songs... Thank you very much for that Gavin. It's good to know that -> M <-usic didn't die.

I'm finding that every new song is just that little bit more awesome.

I loved the opening. I haven't played any of the Max Payne games, but it really takes you into a noir, hard-boiled setting. It made me think of the old Billy Wilder and Howard Hawks films (I'm thinking about 'The Big Sleep' especially) if they were given a modern reboot. Nicely done. At least I now have something to get 'Keep Drifting' out of my head!

This is probably the best one you've done in a while, though, I dunno sometimes the chorus sounds a bit too cheery for me (in terms of inflection) compared with the subject matter and the rest of the song. Though it seems to work regardless.

Draconalis:
00:45 - Bruce Willis?

DVS BSTrD:
Was a little wary at the beginning

I agree with this sentiment. I wasn't a fan of the visuals or the song at first, but it got better.

Yeah I got a Die Hard 4.0 vibe from that scene when I played the game, also I agree with these 2, wasn't sure at the start but it got much better.

The game looks good, song was good as always.
Liked the piano bit close to the ending.

Not a song I like as much, but still good. Oh, and you seem to be workin overtime XD that's a song a week for 3 weeks now.

Love it! Not only did the lyrics seem to be spot on for Max Payne 3 itself, but the style seemed exceptionally appropriate for a "'bullet time' era" game IMO. ;)

Regardless I loved it for the same reason I love The New Black Gold, The Crucible, Joker's Song, Commander Shepard, and Khajiit Like to Sneak. :) It's good music.

I think it fits really well with the feel of the game, and Maxs mental state probably in all the games, but even more so in number 3. So excellent work!

I really liked the piano and bass work on this one, really cool.

Haven't heard a blues-esque song from you in a while, and this one was awesome.

Found a new favorite.

I like this song, specially the piano, I like that piano bits a lot, did you play the piano?
It's just that I assumed you didn't play the piano since in Sweet L.A. the piano is credited to Jack O'Rourke or something, but anyway I like the song and it seems to fit Max Payne 3 rather well.

Jungy 365:

I really liked the piano sections with 'sometimes a man with nothing good left to die for' really great, as it felt really close to what I have always thought the Max Payne games were about: a grizzled Noire detective giving an overly dramatic yet undeniably awesome narration in a deeply stylized setting. The rest of the song felt like quite a different tone to that, but I imagine that might have been your goal, as Max Payne 3 seems to be a big leap for the series in a new direction (setting wise), but I never felt like it was out of touch with one another, and I thought it was a good merging of the two.

100% correct - that was exactly what the piano pieces were meant to evoke :)

They were there as tribute to the older games and their soundtrack - both in MP3 itself and in the song

JesterRaiin:

Damn, for a moment, i thought i was listening to some old Paradise Lost/Faith No More songs... Thank you very much for that Gavin. It's good to know that -> M <-usic didn't die.

Faith No More was the biggest influence by far on this song (particularly King For A Day/Angel Dust), I'm glad someone noticed :)

Kaleion:
I like this song, specially the piano, I like that piano bits a lot, did you play the piano?

Yep, I played everything on this one :)

Akalabeth:
This is probably the best one you've done in a while, though, I dunno sometimes the chorus sounds a bit too cheery for me (in terms of inflection) compared with the subject matter and the rest of the song. Though it seems to work regardless.

I don't think anything in the song sounds even remotely cheery but I guess that's the beauty of music really, it's open to interpretation :)

riftermcriftington:
You captured the style of HEALTH quite well in the intro.

Yeah! Thought it was only fitting to add some echoey, distorted synth fuzz as a tribute to their amazing soundtrack :)

Again, you just keep getting better and better. I really need to pick up your CD(s) for the music. Where might I be able to locate them?

Oh, and your voice is insanely sexy. Haha...yeah... =^_^=

While I know it's good, I just don't like it much. Probably due to the fact that I don't care for the game nor am I a fan of your influences for this song.

Oh well, better go back to making fun of the fact that you're Irish. ;]

DVS BSTrD:
Was a little wary at the beginning but once again you've raised the bar!

Come on man, that pun was Payneful.
Anyway, this song really incapsulates the vibe of the game.

I've never paid any attention to this game, but this song sure makes me want to. It's a true testament to your skills to portray the whole tone of a game to someone who has never seen or played it before.

My God, Gav, this is one of your absolute finest... I was blown away by it- its bluesy, beat up sounding intro, rising tempo until it reaches a rough and defiant air...

Much like Max picking himself up out of a bastard of a hangover and necking some pills, grimly, but determinedly going after the bad guys!

Absolute love the piano and that awesome noir meets grunge mix it has.

Had a long shitty day yesterday, but thankfully on holidays from my shit job now... but it was listening to this song which finally made me feel better :)

MiracleOfSound:

JesterRaiin:

Faith No More was the biggest influence by far on this song (particularly King For A Day/Angel Dust), I'm glad someone noticed :)

It's good to be a king ;)

JesterRaiin:

Additional songs i considered influential were...]

One Second was SUCH a great album. Loads of their fans turned on them for going electronic but man some of the tunes on that album... Say Just Words, Mercy... so good.

Boba Frag:

Had a long shitty day yesterday, but thankfully on holidays from my shit job now... but it was listening to this song which finally made me feel better :)

Glad to be of assistance :)

Volan:
I've never paid any attention to this game, but this song sure makes me want to. It's a true testament to your skills to portray the whole tone of a game to someone who has never seen or played it before.

Cheers! It's well worth picking up, great game.

MiracleOfSound:

JesterRaiin:

Additional songs i considered influential were...]

One Second was SUCH a great album. Loads of their fans turned on them for going electronic but man some of the tunes on that album... Say Just Words, Mercy... so good.

Such is life. Things change, not everyone agrees, life just goes on, repeat ad infinitum.
As a side note : at least your fans won't do same trick. :]

uuug...awesome. Hadn't been so ready to pick up to one of your songs since...I think Black Gold. But I'll have to wait for bandcamp release! darn it!

Any chance this was at least partially inspired by Remedy's previous collaboration with Poets of the Fall? Because I was definitely getting a Poets vibe from the intro and vocals.

Late Goodbye was a beautiful song and so is this.

I haven't played Max Payne 3 but I'm a big fan of the original 2 games and I would say you've done them great justice with this.

Pages 1 2 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here