The Escapist Presents: New Site Layout Overview

New Site Layout Overview

Check out what's new on The Escapist's new homepage!

Watch Video

To be honest, I never see the homepage. I only visit http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/latest.

Don Reba:
To be honest, I never see the homepage. I only visit http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/latest.

While I have seen the homepage, I have to admit that almost all of my interactions with the site are also thought the "Latest Videos" section.

EDIT: That's not to say that I don't appreciate the effort behind the re-design, it looks great!

When I first saw the new layout I hated it, as I hate all change.

But I decided that I would actually have a proper look, and yeah it makes sense. It's easy enough to follow at any rate. I like it.

Don Reba:

People visit the main site?

I only visit this.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/

Then I use the latest content box for news.

Hmm... the rolling header reminds me of GOG!

Will wait to see how easy I find getting to the latest stuff for the first time each day, but after the initial visit as long as I can get to the RSS feed, I'm good.

What is this? This is the- actually this looks pretty cool. Easier than the current design at least to systematically sift through all of the content.

Also, is a "since you last viewed" section or indicator out of the question? Would love one of those...

I do like this layout more than before. The separate columns makes it way easier to find the newest content I'm looking for, before seemed to have the news, articles and comics all over the place.

I'm wondering about a few things. Is the rest of the site having a layout change as well or is it just the front page. I notice that on the pages for news and articles, the right hand column is still the same. Is that not being changed or is that still to come?

The side columns on the front page don't match whatever custom site backgrounds we can use. Is that intentional or an error?

Also The Thing About Stuff comic replaces what a assume is an advert on the front page. I assume that is for PubClub members. Is there any chance that we will be given the option of putting something else there? No offence but they get kind of boring once you seen them all so many times. Maybe put the popular forum posts or our profile details there instead?

Anyway I think it looks great and I appreciate all the work you guys have put into this. It's clear you really have been paying attention to the communities thoughts.

Lizardon:
I do like this layout more than before. The separate columns makes it way easier to find the newest content I'm looking for, before seemed to have the news, articles and comics all over the place.

I'm wondering about a few things. Is the rest of the site having a layout change as well or is it just the front page. I notice that on the pages for news and articles, the right hand column is still the same. Is that not being changed or is that still to come?

The side columns on the front page don't match whatever custom site backgrounds we can use. Is that intentional or an error?

Also The Thing About Stuff comic replaces what a assume is an advert on the front page. I assume that is for PubClub members. Is there any chance that we will be given the option of putting something else there? No offence but they get kind of boring once you seen them all so many times. Maybe put the popular forum posts or our profile details there instead?

Anyway I think it looks great and I appreciate all the work you guys have put into this. It's clear you really have been paying attention to the communities thoughts.

Great questions:

1. The different sections will have their layouts adjusted in the not too distant future, this current layout change up is just a new look at the front page/menu/footer.

2. The new default background is only a temporary stuck for the front page. This should be changed within the week.

3. Thing about stuff is just temporarily there. Should be changed sometime this week

I really liked the previous design update and this one looks even better.

Having links to all the latest content load automatically in a huge slideshow is a stroke of genius. I can't possibly miss it now. It'll be nice to keep all the main content so close to the surface because the old layout had a habit of burying content that was only a day old simply to make way for the new stuff.

I'm not sure about the stuff below the banner however... it all seems a little bit jumbled and it's not easy to quickly determine just what I'm looking at.

While I had no strong opinion on the first update, I really like this one.

Everything seems very streamlined. It's clear that there's tons of content, and you can access most of it from the main page, yet it doesn't feel cluttered or crowded.

The previous layout change was dull and crammed things together. This is much better and looks better too.

As long as the colours don't cause my eyes to burn out of my head like LAST time, I am good.

As long as you don't make my eyes bleed like last time, I think the layout works.

Seriously, whomever felt like it was a good idea to have a background set at #FFFFFF deserves to be strapped to chair and stare straight into a white searchlight for a couple of minutes... 'Cuz that's what it felt like.

oh, so that's what the homepage looks like. i never go there anyway. i just go straight to my group and navigate from there.

Ugh... do we really need another site that has a huge auto scrolling image as the main feature of the page? Maybe I'm in the minority, but they just annoy me and tend to reek of "we didn't know how to feature our big stories so we just took the lazy way out."

Also, is there a reason why we still can't customize our view of the site at least as far as the location of the secondary bits? For example, I tend to use the recent forum posts list a lot. It does me no good at the ass end of the site. Why can I not at least move it up to sit below the feature bar?

StriderShinryu:
Ugh... do we really need another site that has a huge auto scrolling image as the main feature of the page? Maybe I'm in the minority, but they just annoy me and tend to reek of "we didn't know how to feature our big stories so we just took the lazy way out."

Those are quite annoying. I have my browser set to block the slide show thing on the sidebar here.

I like this MUCH more than the recent redo.
Nice to see a timeline-based news river, and the giant header is so pretty.

Can't wait to see our stuff on next Monday :D

The auto-scrolling thing is waay overdone, and is HUGE on the site. I do NOT want half of what I see when I navigate to the home page to be a giant banner.

Also, the change to the feature bar at the top has removed the drop-down menus that I used to navigate the Escapist. Most notably, I can find no link anywhere anymore to the trailers.

All in all, it looks slicker, but at a notable cost in the functionality of the website.

My first reaction to the change was "huh, wait, hold on!" because all change is scary at first. But it's starting to grow on me, it's sleek, easy to navigate, I like the large header. Yup, definitely an improvement!

It's sleek, and I'm sure a lot of work went into this. I appreciate the site wanting to do more/be better.

I don't like how half the screen changes every few seconds at the homepage. The GIANT 'river' is going to take some getting used to. That, and moving my mouse makes all kinds things pop up/change. It's a bit annoying, but I'm sure I'll get used to it. Like how you have your pointer on one of the seven main content boxes, it slowly/smoothly becomes the giant headline, but when you happen to cross over the Latest, Features, Videos, Reviews, News parts, it's an insta switch. That is kinda sloppy. I'd love an option to have to click on a link to have the page change, instead of just moving the mouse over it.

I really like how the news is prominent. Popular Forum Posts is kinda tossed to the bottom, but I'll get over it.

Part of me wishes the pictures going with every article were smaller so I could see more at once. But that would probably make things even more cluttered.

Over all, I'm gunna have to get used to it, but I like it.

I have no complaints, yet. Or possibly at all. I'll be watching the changes and how they affect my Escapist pleasure time over the next week or so. If I find anything, I'll pop an edit up.

Akytalusia:
oh, so that's what the homepage looks like. i never go there anyway. i just go straight to my group and navigate from there.

So you don't actually read/watch any of the site's content? Not a criticism, I'm just trying to figure out how people use the site, and what for.

Matthew94:

Don Reba:

People visit the main site?

I only visit this.

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/

Then I use the latest content box for news.

So if I understand you correctly, you consume all of the content directly from the links in the forums? Videos, articles, news, Critical Miss, everything like that? Or only news?

Susan Arendt:

Akytalusia:

So you don't actually read/watch any of the site's content? Not a criticism, I'm just trying to figure out how people use the site, and what for.

I do read articles/forums, watch vids, read comics, etc. However, My bookmark for this site links directly to my group chat, so I do all my navigating from the content bar at the top of the page. That thing is very convenient. i just never visit the homepage because it seems like an unnecessary step considering you can access the whole site from any other page.

Susan Arendt:

Akytalusia:

Personally, I visit this site to watch LRR (and now also Space Janitors) videos. I sometimes watch other videos or read news articles that catch my eye, but I do not seek them out.

Overall, I disliked the previous redesign, because it was released buggy and unfinished; something like a month passed, before it became fully usable. This time, no complaints.

Inb4: Change?!? NNNOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

Seriously though, liking the new layout. There's a slight alignment discrepancy with the user quote bar at the head of the page when viewing the site on my iPad, but minor cosmetic issues are to be expected with any site redesign - especially cross-platform, so to speak.

Although I note this new format lacks an automated facility that makes Pub Club users a bacon sandwich while they are browsing.

For shame.

Akytalusia:

Susan Arendt:

Akytalusia:

I do read articles/forums, watch vids, read comics, etc. However, My bookmark for this site links directly to my group chat, so I do all my navigating from the content bar at the top of the page. That thing is very convenient. i just never visit the homepage because it seems like an unnecessary step considering you can access the whole site from any other page.

Ah, I see. Thanks for the clarification!

I can't just look at all the latest vids in a list, at least I can't find an easy way to do it (videos > latest is cluttered as fuck).
Furthermore the JQ and ZP are still not big buttons on the front page and since everything else on this is mindless idiocy I really don't like the new update.

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Register for a free account here