Check out The Escapist's Updated Layout!

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Looks great, however there is a buttload of white space above the header...means instant scrolling to read content.

Also..any chance of a responsive implementation? The escapist has always been a bitch to read on a phone.

An example of it being done right

Nice new layout. Looks great, and I like the convenient weekly video schedule.

I like most of the redesign. Two things I'd like to ask, though...

1. My message box has had all the notifications shrunk in size (like it's a smaller font, though the rest of the page in unchanged), making it hard to tell which messages are new. This is without me changing any settings. Is this normal?

2. One of my biggest complaints with the old redesign was the brightness of the sidebars. We were allowed to change that, and now we have more options. Is there a way to darken the main panel? My eyes are very sensitive and I hate staring at white or whitish screens if I can avoid it. I looked at the options and saw nothing like that, but it'd be awesome.

God, I finally became acclimated to the last layout overhaul and they go and change it again.

Pick a design and stick with it. No more of these overhaul shenanigans.

More importantly: Where the hell did the Required Reading tab go? That feed was awesome.

Nasrin:

Stefan Rogen:
Could you please make a text only version of the page, linking to the content? Those of us, who actually can read don`t need that fancy pictures. And I am actually dead serious about this.

Are you familiar with our RSS feed?

You can also get to it with this link.

Is that the kind of thing you're looking for?

It is. Thank you, I love it.

Goddammit! Stop it!

Seriously, I've taken a major hiatus from the site since the LAST redesign and I don't feel at home anymore. I just recently got used to the (old) new layout, and even came to like a few of the features. I started crawling back to the forums with a semblance of the frequency I once did even though I didn't recognize many of the faces around these parts anymore, and now I get smacked in the face with MORE weirdness.

Honestly, guys and girls, I don't HATE change, but are you going to be popping these surprises on me again in the near future? Can I please just have a heads up now? That would be just fucking lovely.

I think it's pretty shit. You removed functionality for form. The last one was better.

- I could see my groups.
- I could see my friends online.
- I could see the last two threads I posted in and if they were updated.
- I didn't have to click anything to see the headlines of the latest news. I barely went to the news section before, but when it just scrolled down I could see if there were news of interest.

All this without going anywhere. Now it's just shiny.

BartyMae:
[quote="Darth_Payn" post="6.378808.14880949"]Something's missing from the top of the page: where's the profile logout button?

Hover over your name at the top right of the screen - logout is on the bottom, (assuming that's what you mean). Otherwise, I have no idea what you could mean. Invisible mode?

quote]

Only my profile avatar is visible and there's no hover drop-down menu. Am I using the wrong browser? It's IE9 on Windows 7.

BartyMae:

Darth_Payn:
Something's missing from the top of the page: where's the profile logout button?

Hover over your name at the top right of the screen - logout is on the bottom, (assuming that's what you mean). Otherwise, I have no idea what you could mean. Invisible mode?

Only my profile avatar is visible, and there's no drop-down menu. Am I using the wrong browser? I use IE9 on windows 7.

And please forget my last comment; I had some trouble editing a quote.

I like the new design it's just I find it to be really slow. Anyone else having this issue? Is it just me & my house mates?

Looks nice, take me while to get used to the different places of things though.

Wenseph:
I think it's pretty shit. You removed functionality for form. The last one was better.

- I could see my groups.
- I didn't have to click anything to see the headlines of the latest news. I barely went to the news section before, but when it just scrolled down I could see if there were news of interest.

You think that's bad, I can't even log out anymore due to this redesign.

I know everyone hates change and all but the new interface truly sucks. The page is way too wide now. I hope your readership doesn't slip.

I didn't bother scrolling through 6 pages of comments, so forgive me if this has been mentioned, but ever since the update the website freezes for me every once in a while on the front page. While I can still interact with my computer and browser in a normal way, I can't click anything on the page, I have to close it and open a new tab and go to the site again.

Internet Explroer 9.

oh never mind, I had to turn off Compatibility Mode to make the menu drop down.

Eh it's not bad, but a little awkward. Requires just a little to much scrolling to be perfectly comfortable, no matter where I'm on the page, something I'd want to look at is always part way off screen by 1-3 mouse wheel clicks, which is just short enough to be hard to hit, but long enough to be annoying.

Casual Shinji:

Wenseph:

- I could see my groups.

You think that's bad, I can't even log out anymore due to this redesign.

That took me maybe 5 seconds to find? Comeon, there's a few things that could be improved, but you're just not trying.

guh the sites lay out just keeps getting worse!
cant we just go back to basics?! the one before the one they just changed was the best so far...

game-lover:
It looks nice, it does.

Is the front of the home page, the only area where you can see the latest forum posts? Because if not, I could probably use a hand finding the other link to them...

They should be in the right hand column on each page, about halfway down.

halfeclipse:

That took me maybe 5 seconds to find? Comeon, there's a few things that could be improved, but you're just not trying.

Except it doesn't scroll out for me. When I hover my cursor over my avatar nothing happens. See how it becomes rather difficult to log out when the "LOG OUT" option doesn't scroll down.

kyosai7:

yalp, you see, what you got there is a case of the Adblocks. That there bar shouldn't be gray, but then again there should also be an ad there.

ultrachicken:

My concern is that the "latest threads" page is no longer linked to on the homepage, and when I do go to it, I get a bunch of code instead of the usual layout.

Do you mean this "latest threads" forum box or something else?

ultrachicken:

kyosai7:

ultrachicken:

That's because you're using adblock. The grey block is where the ads go. Though, strangely, they never fill it up, so you always get this ugly white-on-gray nonsense at the top of the page.

My concern is that the "latest threads" page is no longer linked to on the homepage, and when I do go to it, I get a bunch of code instead of the usual layout.

Ahh okay, thanks! I wonder how I would go about enabling banner ads to support the site, while keeping ads before videos, and pop ups blocked...

I've never seen a pop-up on this site, and I haven't seen any ads before videos in a while. Though maybe I'm mistaken.

We don't employ pop ups and we'd appreciate you not using adblock very much.

snave:
Whatever happened to the feature articles? They used to be the main thrust of this site, 4 or 5 per week, and are now relegated to being hidden knee-deep in menus. Something other such sites never had. A quick glance shows we're lucky to get one per month these days.

I find it a shame. An article can be read on a bus or train or whilst on a coffee break, a video generally cannot.

Our featured articles will appear periodically in our header's features panel. Earlier this week "Taking The Shepard's Path" was displayed there. "Bears are Jerks" was published today. They'll be cycled out as new features are published, but you can continue to access them in our homepage's features river or on their dedicated page.

Nazulu:
Still too much white, looks incomplete, and I don't like the layout of the drop down menu under my avatar. Maybe put lines underneath each part so it's more clear.

Where are you seeing white? There shouldn't be very much.

Zachary Amaranth:
Is there a way to darken the main panel?

To the right of article title's there should be a little "Aa" symbol. Hover over it for a drop down menu. It allows you to adjust the panel color, font and size.

Eh. Still trying to figure out where the new stuff scrolls around. I'm missing out on videos and such the day they come out.

The "schedule" is a nice touch though. Now I can stop guessing when videos are posted :P

Zydrate:
Eh. Still trying to figure out where the new stuff scrolls around. I'm missing out on videos and such the day they come out.

The "schedule" is a nice touch though. Now I can stop guessing when videos are posted :P

The schedule should also link to the most recent episode in each series. Newest videos can be seen on the videos tab of the new header, here:

gyroscopeboy:
Looks great, however there is a buttload of white space above the header...means instant scrolling to read content.

Also..any chance of a responsive implementation? The escapist has always been a bitch to read on a phone.

An example of it being done right

There shouldn't be any white space above the header, unless you're referring to our "motto of the moment", which is a publisher's club feature.

You may also accidentally be employing an adblocker, in which case we suggest you turn it off or 'whitelist' The Escapist.

Nasrin:

Zachary Amaranth:
Is there a way to darken the main panel?

To the right of article title's there should be a little "Aa" symbol. Hover over it for a drop down menu. It allows you to adjust the panel color, font and size.

apparently, I already have it as dark as it'll go. Damn.

Ah well, thanks!

its different, i don't like it

i find it more confusing. the previous one was much better and easier to get around. where is the drop down menu for the video section? was so much simpler to just move your mouse over it and click on the section you want like "trailers".
now its a mess. dont like it.

Nasrin:

Zydrate:

The schedule should also link to the most recent episode in each series. Newest videos can be seen on the videos tab of the new header, here:

If I may offer one thing: That top bit scrolls a bit too fast. The time it takes for me to read the header, see the picture, my interest to be piqued, and then to finally click on it... Well, let's just say I've gone to the next article accidentally because it scrolled as soon as I clicked.

Just an idea. Add an extra second or two (Or whatever :D)

Nasrin:

Lord Krunk:
It'll take a bit of getting used to, but I don't mind it.

My only major qualm is that the 'recent forum posts' on the main page are gone now. I liked being able to easily see if there were updates on certain RPs I frequent.

Are you sure?

Sorry, I should have been more specific. I was referring to how on the previous version of the site, my latest two posts on the forums would appear along with the threads' post counts on the top right hand corner of the main page.

Nasrin:

ultrachicken:

Do you mean this "latest threads" forum box or something else?

Previously, under the "Forums" dropbox, there were links to pages that displayed "Latest Threads" and "Hot Threads." Just my preferred way of browsing the forums when I'm bored.

My complaint regarding code appearing rather than a typical page can be disregarded as me accidentally clicking an RSS link without realizing it.

EDIT: Double quote? That's a new one.

Its nice but now the screen is too wide for me, There is a large black line on each side making me have to either zoom out or get used to smaller writing and scroll to the right if I want to change the page.

Other than that issue I like it.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 NEXT

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or