Escapist Podcast: 49: All About E3, World Music

49: All About E3, World Music

We debrief the E3 team on all the games they saw.

Watch Video

Watch_dogs in not a next-gen game. What was shown at E3 was the PC demo, which ALWAYS looks better than the console versions.

Also they always (most of the time) run the demos on PCs. Having a working console demo for a game that's still in development for an expo is a waste of resources.

ivc392:
Watch_dogs in not a next-gen game. What was shown at E3 was the PC demo, which ALWAYS looks better than the console versions.

Also they always (most of the time) run the demos on PCs. Having a working console demo for a game that's still in development for an expo is a waste of resources.

Well, the bit about Watch Dogs is admittedly speculation, but a majority of console games are shown on debug hardware, particularly so this late in the console life cycle. Unlike the PC, the console hardware is not a moving target, and it's one that developers can and do aim for right from the start. Making an Xbox demo work on the Xbox is not at all a waste of time. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Although the Nintendo press conference wasn't very interesting to watch on TV, it sounded like a blast watching it in person.

I always find it weird when people I look up to are around my same age (I'm 28 for reference). Though I don't know what that says about me that I look up to Susan.

Also I found it interesting hearing about the "crowd experience" at E3. Seeing the teleprompter and hearing the A/V booth, the workings of the presentation, are interesting to me.

And I am also excited for Ni No Kuni. The atmosphere and atheistic they've crafted look awesome. Now I want to hear more about the gameplay elements. Battles, Equipment, Levels, Skills, ect.

I Am Alive, new Tomb Raider, Crysis 3, Assassin's Creed 3, the tall boys in Dishonored, there ARE a lot of bows in games recently. o_0

For me, Sony was the winner of E3 in that their presentation has finally convinced me to start looking into PS3s. The Last of Us, Beyond, Tokyo Jungle, and Ni No Kuni to a lesser degree are all fantastic looking games, and that doesn't even go into all of the older games like the Uncharted Series I've wanted to play.

There are two types of people who exist in this world. Those who love what I say, and those who wish they couldn't love what I say more while being proud of it:

All my ex's live in Texas...

Time moving faster and slower, yet making it faster, yet slower...

BS

Try harder please.

Neil Diamond is where it's at. Not sure why you all are all fooling around with those low level hacks from the past...

Godly goodness wins. Just don't think this is the suicide song, cause that's different kinda:

Damn I wanna play Ni No Kuni when it comes out, but I sold my PS3 to build my gaming PC and buy games lol.

And thus ends E3, the one week in the year that has more previews and trailers than the rest of the year combined. Also, best birthday wishes to Susan. :)

Billy Mack is a detective down in Texas *clap clap clap*

Tokyo Jungle: Sounds interesting... I'll look into it.

X-Com: As much as I want to like this game... I just can't get behind a 4 person squad

Great cast guys. Can't wait to hear from ya'll again.

Happy Birthday Susan.

Eric the Orange:
I always find it weird when people I look up to are around my same age (I'm 28 for reference). Though I don't know what that says about me that I look up to Susan.

It means you have exceptional taste. [/strut]

In all seriousness, why would it mean anything in particular? I don't quite follow the train of thought.

Susan Arendt:

Eric the Orange:

In all seriousness, why would it mean anything in particular? I don't quite follow the train of thought.

Well the first part is my amazement that people my age have achieved so much. The second part is a joke.

The stars at night, are big and bright...
[clap] [clap] [clap] [clap] DEEP IN THE HEART OF TEXAS!

Funny you should mention Brisco County, I just finally got the series on DVD. Hard to believe it's been nearly 20 years since it was on.

BTW Xena and Gabriel were cloned by some immortal that hated her and wanted to bring her back to torture her some more. Or something like that.

I didn't need to play Unfinished Swan to get hooked, just seeing that part with the park bench sealed the deal. Reminds me of Felice Varini's anamorphic Illusions. (Which I love)

I heard a very different description of Tokyo Jungle, nothing to do with kill calories, more like helping other animals do things, like a horse win one last race or a T-Rex do something, silly.

1:41:40 That needs to be a ring tone or something.

Call me crazy, but I actually like some of Sting's solo work, particularly his album A Brand New Day. You guys should totally do an 80s music podcast, though, it'd be awesome!! There are so many artist I love from the 80s when I was young (younger?): Michael Jackson, Prince, Madonna, U2, The Bangles, The Cure, A-Ha, Queen, David Bowie, Aerosmith, Beastie Boys, Eurythmics, Salt-N-Pepa, Depeche Mode, Blondie... I could go on really (maybe I already have).

Oooh, also, happy belated birthday, Susan!!! :) 29? You don't sound or look a day over 26! =D

I thought your comments on how you tend to be more impressed when you don't expect a game were spot on. This is why I strive to go into games I anticipate greatly knowing as little as possible. That's what I did with Skyrim and Mass Effect 3 lately, and although I did go "huh" when I reached the last couple of minutes in ME3, I was thoroughly impressed by both games, and greatly enjoyed them. I think there's something to be said to leaving a bit of mystery and room to be surprised.

It was great to hear your feedback on E3 (even though I've also read your "best of" articles). I'm rather curious about Dishonored, I saw the trailer, I've been hearing all these great things... And Unfinished Swan sounds fun too. What I particularly liked about your talks regarding E3 was the "behind the scenes" insight you gave us, with the camera cues, and the prompters. Having a full time job, (and being quite a few time zones away), I don't get to watch the live stream, but listening to your take on E3 was all I needed!

On buying a console because of one exclusive... I have to admit that I've been crushing impulses to go out and buy a PS3 for the sake of playing Journey. I haven't caved yet, but I kinda want to play Journey after everything I've heard about it. I'm still hoping that they'll port it to PC.

Anyhow, that's for my thoughts on the first segment of the show. Yup, gotta listen to guys in bite-sized chunks now! Still lovin' the show!?

Eric the Orange:

Susan Arendt:

Eric the Orange:

Well the first part is my amazement that people my age have achieved so much. The second part is a joke.

I'm also a lot older than you. :)

I think you can legitimately drop authors because of their personality and/or views.
Case in point: Orson Scott Card.

When I read his blog, and found it so filled with vitriolic hate against everything I find good or right in the world, that warped my view of his books.

Reading Ender's Game while understanding the authors view on issues like religious freedom, gender equality or gay rights gives it some rather (to me) chilling overtones that I had not noticed before, and I interpreted comments or characters differently . And his other books are much more overt in their stances, I found it prudent to not read them any more.

Revenge Revisited:
I Am Alive, new Tomb Raider, Crysis 3, Assassin's Creed 3, the tall boys in Dishonored, there ARE a lot of bows in games recently. o_0

Year of the bow! Good time to be an archery fan <3

My name is Aiden, so I guess I'll have no problem controlling Aiden. Also the moment where Elaine Page looks up and says lets go Aiden, so cool for me.

Achievements are kinda strange in that they can add satisfaction or frustration. At least for me. There is a certain sense of satisfaction I get from knowing I have 1000/1000 in a title. Despite this, I won't go out of my way for an achievement if I feel that it's unfair (such as kill 10,000 online players in Gears of War...).

In Civilization Revolution there's a few achievements for defeating Deity level computer opponents - one for each victory type. If those achievements didn't exist, I'd have likely have thought it would be too hard a challenge for myself to attempt. Yet those achievements did exist, and were the only thing coming between me and 1000/1000 in that game, so I challenged myself to something I didn't think I'd be able to do, and found that I could play at that level. They provided a lot of satisfaction in achieving, helping me feel I had "beaten" the game (especially seeing as Civ Rev has no campaign to gauge completion).

Also in a previous podcast Ghandi was pointed out as being a ruthless warmonger - he's the same in Civ Rev!

Steve Butts:

ivc392:

Well, the bit about Watch Dogs is admittedly speculation, but a majority of console games are shown on debug hardware, particularly so this late in the console life cycle. Unlike the PC, the console hardware is not a moving target, and it's one that developers can and do aim for right from the start. Making an Xbox demo work on the Xbox is not at all a waste of time. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Watch_dogs actually turned out to be a PS4 title, he... I guess I owe somebody an apology...

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here