Jimquisition: Why Do People Hate EA?

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Huh. I go out for three days of fishing, and miss this.
Can't say I missed much apart from a cathartic video.

It would be great if EA just reasoned with their customers, but they built their business under the presumption that they were too big to fail. That's the first sign of trouble, and it's been a constant for the company since they started gobbling up developers.

If EA's tumbling stock prices are any indicator, I'd have to say that the silent majority aren't as content with EA as they were in previous years; That little fact is more rational and telling than any of the apologist bullshit I've seen as of late.

I have a friend who works for EA in Vancouver. He moved out there last year and has since had his contract extended a few times. Sadly, I've not purchased any of the games he's worked on since I've no interest in sports games. But yeah, can I call a company, who gave my friend gainful employment after he was flippin' burgers for a few months, evil?

Also, I'm Canadian so no T-Shirt for me. But the graphic on it was pretty cool.

This is the one Jimquisition that has me genuinely upset.

How could you Jim?

Offer up a shirt that might have caressed your heavenly man nipples, that may still have a few flecks of your divine skin, or even saintly hair, trapped amongst in fibres, and then say US residents only?

I'm so profoundly disheartened now, as I live in Vietnam. Someone else will hold your shirt, that was once held by your strong, masculine hands. You know, EA may have deplorable business practices, but that Jim, that was by far more cruel.

puppy anyone?

SkarKrow:
Everything wrong with EA can be summarised by playing Bad Company 2 for a few hours.
Then play Battlefield 3.

See the difference?
I thought so.

BF3 is way better? Except for the lack of destroyable stuff and Origin?

The reason I hate EA is because they ruined Bullfrog and, as if that wasn't enough, sat on the IP to Dungeon Keeper. Lionhead Studios (which had a lot of ex Bullfrog Developers and Peter Molyneux) tried to make a DK3 but EA refused to let them and said "well we're not making one so nobody else is either."

EA is just the embodiment of everything wrong in AAA game companies and the sooner they crash and burn the better off the industry will be.

Slayer_2:

SkarKrow:
Everything wrong with EA can be summarised by playing Bad Company 2 for a few hours.
Then play Battlefield 3.

See the difference?
I thought so.

I found it much worse. Though a big part of that is that on consoles it can take 20 minutes to find a game with standard rules now thanks to the rented servers.

I'd rather be able to destroy more stuff than have fancy lighting that more times than not exists only to annoy. I found BF3 much less satisfying and the classes setup in a less fun way, why should I choose between the underbarrel and the medic pack? And why no recon C4?

As a matter of personal tastes BF3 is much worse. Especially on consoles. Can't speak for the PC version.

SkarKrow:

Slayer_2:

SkarKrow:
Then play Battlefield 3.

See the difference?
I thought so.

I found it much worse. Though a big part of that is that on consoles it can take 20 minutes to find a game with standard rules now thanks to the rented servers.

I'd rather be able to destroy more stuff than have fancy lighting that more times than not exists only to annoy. I found BF3 much less satisfying and the classes setup in a less fun way, why should I choose between the underbarrel and the medic pack? And why no recon C4?

As a matter of personal tastes BF3 is much worse. Especially on consoles. Can't speak for the PC version.

Oh, console, yeah, they really bastardized that one. But look at BF3, you wouldn't expect a 7-year old PC to run that well, so the fact that they got it on console surprises me. Bad Company was designed for consoles, which is why I didn't enjoy it as much. No prone or fixed-wing aircraft = not true battlefield. As for choosing between a THIRD weapon and a medic pack, that is a balance issue, and I'm grateful they did that (less noob tubing).

I agree, EA went down very fasy. I liked EA 5 years ago, now its among my worst of the worst lists. And it keeps shitting on us. BUt a lot companies did that lately, only few are left that i still like.

Slayer_2:
Oh, console, yeah, they really bastardized that one. But look at BF3, you wouldn't expect a 7-year old PC to run that well, so the fact that they got it on console surprises me. Bad Company was designed for consoles, which is why I didn't enjoy it as much. No prone or fixed-wing aircraft = not true battlefield. As for choosing between a THIRD weapon and a medic pack, that is a balance issue, and I'm grateful they did that (less noob tubing).

I'm gonna circumvent any argument over format here and just say I generally prefer console gaming because I'm lazy about the whole affair. I'll also acknowledge that hardware for consoles is out of date, I'd welcome a new generation next year tbh but it better be an impressive generation. It's a shame alot of games I love aren't PC games or I'd have made the switch by now. If Square put Versus 13 on the PC I'll upgrade xD.

Bad Company was indeed built for consoles and it's a fantastic game on consoles, and has alot of traits that I really loved, it was better balanced and shrunk down to adaquetly fit the limitations of hardware and operating systems on consoles and I loved it for what it was, it was a nice semi-tac tical experience that was a blast with friends.

BF3 on consoles was just bad tbh, maps are too big for the player count by a long way and i don't see why 64 players isn't possible, if MAG did 256 BF3 could've done 64. Hell 32 players was done by both Killzone games on the PS3, 24 is just an insult really. I find that the way vehicles are placed is a pain on the consoles, jets tend to dominate and make helicopters useless, and while I can't speak for the PC, the controls for the helicopters on consoles in BF3 are just not as good as BC, they're floaty and easy to accidentally pitch over themselves and die. So it was just a whole fiasco, not to mention they switched lead from PC to consoles halfway through development, and rushed that development despite having years to do it.

Not to mention the PS3 version, unsure of Xbox, had awful voice chat support and was a bit kick happy in the early days, even now the voice chat isn't really fixed, if you have a 4 man squad it just isn't functional. It's unforgivable imo, I ended up using Skype for voice chat and honestly if I had a more powerful PC I'd have gotten BF3 on the PC.

I'm willing to bet that the next Bad Company, which is already in development by rumour, will be watered down alot and made into a COD clone by marketing decisions chasing after an outdated and uninspiring franchise lapped up by the masses in lieu of genuine innovation or pushing forward the genre.

SkarKrow:
I'm gonna circumvent any argument over format here and just say I generally prefer console gaming because I'm lazy about the whole affair. I'll also acknowledge that hardware for consoles is out of date, I'd welcome a new generation next year tbh but it better be an impressive generation. It's a shame alot of games I love aren't PC games or I'd have made the switch by now. If Square put Versus 13 on the PC I'll upgrade xD.

Matter of preference, really, however BF3 is primarily made to be a PC game, as BF had always been a PC title, until Bad Company, which are like the console-ized versions. Your mileage may vary if you play a true BF game on anything except PC.

Bad Company was indeed built for consoles and it's a fantastic game on consoles, and has alot of traits that I really loved, it was better balanced and shrunk down to adaquetly fit the limitations of hardware and operating systems on consoles and I loved it for what it was, it was a nice semi-tac tical experience that was a blast with friends.

I didn't mind BC2 (although I hated BC1), but the lack of prone, fixed wing aircraft, and general "console" feeling I got when playing, even on PC kind of turned me off it quickly. Sounds like small complaints, I know, but without prone, you can't take cover very well or maneuver in tight spaces. And without jets, helicopters can wreak havoc, as they no longer have to watch for threats from above. And feeling like you're playing with a game-pad when using a mouse/keyboard is just stupid.

BF3 on consoles was just bad tbh, maps are too big for the player count by a long way and i don't see why 64 players isn't possible, if MAG did 256 BF3 could've done 64. Hell 32 players was done by both Killzone games on the PS3, 24 is just an insult really. I find that the way vehicles are placed is a pain on the consoles, jets tend to dominate and make helicopters useless, and while I can't speak for the PC, the controls for the helicopters on consoles in BF3 are just not as good as BC, they're floaty and easy to accidentally pitch over themselves and die. So it was just a whole fiasco, not to mention they switched lead from PC to consoles halfway through development, and rushed that development despite having years to do it.

Agree, which is why I would never get BF3 for Xbox. Thank god they focused on bringing BF3 back to it's roots. The controls on console for vehicles are horrible. Right bumper to fire the cannon in a tank!? WTF.

Not to mention the PS3 version, unsure of Xbox, had awful voice chat support and was a bit kick happy in the early days, even now the voice chat isn't really fixed, if you have a 4 man squad it just isn't functional. It's unforgivable imo, I ended up using Skype for voice chat and honestly if I had a more powerful PC I'd have gotten BF3 on the PC.

The handling of this on PC is almost worse. You can only talk to your Battlelog friends, and the voice client is garbage. All clans use a 3rd party program. Plus side is when pubbing, you don't have some 10-year-old pre-puber screaming into your ear telling you how much of a fag you are for using an M16A3.

I'm willing to bet that the next Bad Company, which is already in development by rumour, will be watered down alot and made into a COD clone by marketing decisions chasing after an outdated and uninspiring franchise lapped up by the masses in lieu of genuine innovation or pushing forward the genre.

Bang on, likely. That's what BC was to start with (a console version of BF), and now that EA has noticed CoD's success... Well, a billion dollars in three weeks every year is tempting, I'm sure.

Slayer_2:
SNIP

Yup, the controls for vehicles are abhorrent on the PS3 too, tanks less so, more the helicopters were just fucking awful.
In BC the helicopters did wreak havoc if you let them but generally I always put it down to people being incapable of tracing with the AT4 or using an AA gun with some proficiency.

I really do expect EA to ruin both Battlefield and Bad Company. As for prone, in BC2 I never felt a screaming need for prone, most places crouching or moving fast was adequete, or the visual cover provided by foliage sufficed for my sniping antics.

I'll give you that BC2 was definately more of a console game, and was probably better taken on consoles. I loved it for what it was and the mindless fun you could have.

EA majorly fucked Battlefield 3 up though, the maps are mostly dreadful and feel like oversized Call of Duty maps to me. They're all conquest maps or very poor rush maps. Conquest is too big for so few players on consoles and the maps that play as rush maps are far too tight and far too easily dominated by (and I know this because between me and 2 friends we've locked down most of the tighter maps this way) proning with a SAW, an ammo box, and a bipod.

Just watch EA nosecone the franchise and it's subfranchise in pursuit of profit it will never yield.

EDIT Yes, the VOIP is awful across platforms then. Nice job EA. The bit that confused me was that VOIP was fantastic in Bad Company 2 on the PS3, I never had a single problem with it. But come BF3 it's just wank.

SkarKrow:
Snip

EA, because money is more important than customer satisfaction. As a modder, I realize that you can never please everyone, or even the majority, sometimes. But managing to piss off almost your entire non-casual player-base is a feat only EA or Activision could pull off.

Slayer_2:

SkarKrow:
Snip

EA, because money is more important than customer satisfaction. As a modder, I realize that you can never please everyone, or even the majority, sometimes. But managing to piss off almost your entire non-casual player-base is a feat only EA or Activision could pull off.

Yup, both are very evil companies. And while I'm at it:
THQ = Boring.
Ubisoft = Determined to run AC3 into the ground because they have nothing else to do really.
Nintendo = Actually I'm fine with them atm tbh...
Sega = Seem to be fine
Sony = Damn it where's Ape Escape 4?!

=]

Also, bloody hell I'm up way too early, fucking window fitter.

Ahahaha, and I'm up way too late.

I liked Metro 2033, I think that was a THQ title.

Fact is that AAA studios are really just out for cash. Whether you accept the "they are corporations, it's not their fault" excuse or not, is a personal matter. However, I am pleased by recent developments in the indie sector, such as kickstarter, a greater availability of AAA engines with licenses geared towards indie developers. I see a revolution on the horizon.

Remember when going out and buying a game used to be simple, no needing to install all these extra "security" programs or buying online passes to play a video game, i miss those days.

(I would very much like a shirt if i'm not to late)

US citizens ONLY? Exclusively giving items for only the Americans?
Why that sounds just like what EA would do!

You forgot to mention the fact that EA guy said that having sales (just like Valve has with Steam) is a "bad thing". Still can't wrap my head around that one.

Nice show as always.

kane.malakos:

Why would people have a problem with Valve selling steam bucks at Gamestop? Gamestop has some very shitty business practices, true, but I don't blame any game company for selling their products there. You might as well get annoyed because THQ, Rockstar and Blizzard sell copies of their games at Gamestop. In fact, I can see where the praise for Valve comes from, as it allows people without a credit card to buy games from Steam where they would not otherwise be able to do so. That's a consumer-friendly practice, even if it does give some money to a shitty company.

That wasn't my point, my point is that I can't go onto a videogame forum without seeing threads about how horrifically terrible Gamestop is, yet the MOMENT Valve partners with them, everything is peachy. Can you imagine if EA sold their own Bison Bucks (or whatever funny money they use) at Gamestop locations. People would be doing nothing but talking about "two corporate titans teaming up to SCREW the consumer."

Vigormortis:
[quote="Undeadpool" post="6.379074.14850696"]
[on a side note, do not take my message as a personal attack or anything.

I never take points well made as a personal attack, but appreciate the sentiment. As for the rest of the post (which I don't directly quote because...well we'd both be guilty of thread spamming as we're both quite verbose), I feel like even if it's a PR glad-handing stunt, so what? I kind of don't care about their motives, I have a bunch of quality DLC completely free for my ME3 multiplayer experience. Whether they did it to theoretically get more real $$ out of me in the item purchasing is irrelevant, the fact is: it's completely free DLC.

Undeadpool:

I never take points well made as a personal attack, but appreciate the sentiment. As for the rest of the post (which I don't directly quote because...well we'd both be guilty of thread spamming as we're both quite verbose), I feel like even if it's a PR glad-handing stunt, so what? I kind of don't care about their motives, I have a bunch of quality DLC completely free for my ME3 multiplayer experience. Whether they did it to theoretically get more real $$ out of me in the item purchasing is irrelevant, the fact is: it's completely free DLC.

Fair point. Free is still free. And really, it's hard to complain about free without sounding whiny or entitled.

However, like I'd said before, when the only acts of altruism a company commits towards its customers are desperate attempts to either cover up or "make up for" some egregious foul-up on their pat (as in, them taking advantage of the customers or some such thing), I question everything that company does. I question their motives, their intent, and their business practices.

That's the reason why; coupled with their awful ad-campaigns, terrible PR department, persistent gutting of developers and franchises, and utterly moronic (and often hypocritical) statements of their management; I'm finding it more and more difficult to trust EA. On anything.

Vigormortis:

Undeadpool:

Fair point. Free is still free. And really, it's hard to complain about free without sounding whiny or entitled.

However, like I'd said before, when the only acts of altruism a company commits towards its customers are desperate attempts to either cover up or "make up for" some egregious foul-up on their pat (as in, them taking advantage of the customers or some such thing), I question everything that company does. I question their motives, their intent, and their business practices.

That's the reason why; coupled with their awful ad-campaigns, terrible PR department, persistent gutting of developers and franchises, and utterly moronic (and often hypocritical) statements of their management; I'm finding it more and more difficult to trust EA. On anything.

Oh I'm with you 100% on the ad campaign crap. The Dante's Inferno and "Your Mom Will Hate Dead Space" ads could actually be held up as GREAT examples of things holding back videogame culture.

There are usually a few points in each video where I disagree with Jim, but not here, can't find one. EA is a shining example of whats wrong with the games industry, also you can't spell Ignorant without IGN.

Pages PREV 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11

Reply to Thread

Have an account? Login below:
With Facebook:Login With Facebook
or
Username:  
Password:  

Not registered? To sign up for an account with The Escapist:
Register With Facebook
Register With Facebook
or
Registered for a free account here